The Main Reason why Tomb Raider is not going on WiiU.

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

To explain my theory further here is an article on the washed up EA founder

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

What a crock of sh!t

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Maybe porting the game to Wii U isn't as easy as some of you derp derps who suddenly and magically seem to have first hand knowledge about game development on this scale really entails.

The the ps360 version of Batman AC had already been out for a year when the WiiU version came out and it still had problems. Even with all that extra time to optimize.

Maybe unfasten yourself from Nintendo's nutsack long enough to realize that Ninteno shipped the WiiU with low end hardware so they could have that expensive gimick controller without taking any loss.

We should even be having this dicussion right now, when GPU's from 2008 could already play 360 ports at 2-3x the resolution and framerate yet a console from the end of 2012 struggles to manage a 1:1 conversion? Stop drinking the koolaid and use whatever's left of your feeble brain.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Let's be honest here, they're not making Tomb Raider for the Wii U because finanically it wouldn't benefit the company.

fernandmondego_

So more sales = no financial benefit?

If you say so...

It does if the sales don't cover the expenses of porting it over.

I don't think this is the issue here, given cost of porting courtesy of Ubisoft.

It's more the fact that they could use those resources in more benefitial ways. Instead of a potential profit worth 10k copies sold at full price, they could use those employees to polish the main game more or w/e.

We're talking about selling maybe 50k copies on WiiU, where the break even point is 40k maybe, vs millions on other platforms combined.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]Randy Pitchford said something similar about not porting Borderlands 2 to the Wii U. Devs don't want to put extra effort into a platform where it's going to get the least amount of sales. Nintendo better hope Sony or MS have a touchscreen controller as well, otherwise the only games that will make good use of the Wii U tablet will be Nintendo's first party games.FireEmblem_Man

I won't be surprised if Sony copies Nintendo, after all they do have a history of copying ideas with their own technology.

I definitely think Sony will copy them as well. This would be a rare case of Sony's copying actually benefiting Nintendo though so devs can't use this scale goat anymore. Porting over to the Wii U would be easier and wouldn't require them to think of innovative thing to do with the touchscreen for only one platform.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

Conspiracy theory: Western Third Parties aways have a stigma with Nintendo since the Launch of the NES

MrYaotubo

Maybe it's the way Nintnedo use to treat them.

Yeah,nintendo used to treat a lot of western devs like crap back in the day,now they´re slowly getting the payback.

Nothing has changed really, western games were shovelware back then and now mainstream garbage in the michael bay sense.

gogo indie devs

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]Are you a game designer?OhSnapitz

What are you implying?

Crystal Dynamics said that they wanted to do something a bit more with the WiiU's controller than what the other systems are offering, so no Tomb Raider (even though, the WiiU has a Pro Controller that can do everything a 360 controller can do.)

It's just as blantant BS as Capcom saying Revelations can't work on Vita because of Screen Resolutions.

Great point.. and this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I'm not sold on the WiiU. 3rd party devs are going out of their way to not make games for Ninty's new platform. So what exactly will the future hold once the 720/PS4 are released? :|

Would you have gotten WiiU version of GTA V, Tomb Raider, etc. even if it did get perfect ports?

Nope. PS3 or 360 is your ecosystem of achievements, friends, etc. It's Steam in my case. It's nice that WiiU gets all kinds of indie games like The Cave... but I will get it for Steam instead, I don't do "gotta support X platform"

You buy a WiiU for its exclusives. When depends on its value in your eyes. For instance I got a PS3 Slim for $300 "just" for MGS4, that was my value limit. I got a WiiU day 1 cus of Nintendo Land, now it's sitting there collecting dust until the next wave of exclusives.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

What are you implying?

Crystal Dynamics said that they wanted to do something a bit more with the WiiU's controller than what the other systems are offering, so no Tomb Raider (even though, the WiiU has a Pro Controller that can do everything a 360 controller can do.)

It's just as blantant BS as Capcom saying Revelations can't work on Vita because of Screen Resolutions.

SuperFlakeman

Great point.. and this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I'm not sold on the WiiU. 3rd party devs are going out of their way to not make games for Ninty's new platform. So what exactly will the future hold once the 720/PS4 are released? :|

Would you have gotten WiiU version of GTA V, Tomb Raider, etc. even if it did get perfect ports?

Nope. PS3 or 360 is your ecosystem of achievements, friends, etc. It's Steam in my case. It's nice that WiiU gets all kinds of indie games like The Cave... but I will get it for Steam instead, I don't do "gotta support X platform"

You buy a WiiU for its exclusives. When depends on its value in your eyes. For instance I got a PS3 Slim for $300 "just" for MGS4, that was my value limit. I got a WiiU day 1 cus of Nintendo Land, now it's sitting there collecting dust until the next wave of exclusives.

It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 FireEmblem_Man

It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers. OhSnapitz

I will say that Sony has a high chance following Nintendo's strategy, just look at the PS Move. I won't be surprised if they made their own tablet controller. Also Microsoft has smart glass and the Surface (and other Windows based tablets) could also be a controller too for the next xbox. Ever since Wii became a sales juggernaut, Microsoft and Sony will follow Nintendo to capture the install base

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"] It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers. FireEmblem_Man

I will say that Sony has a high chance following Nintendo's strategy, just look at the PS Move. I won't be surprised if they made their own tablet controller. Also Microsoft has smart glass and the Surface (and other Windows based tablets) could also be a controller too for the next xbox. Ever since Wii became a sales juggernaut, Microsoft and Sony will follow Nintendo to capture the install base

I haven't tried smartglass yet but the Kinect/Move seem to be quick cash grabs that either worked (kinect) or didn't (Move). Even though I believe there will be a bigger push for motion out of the gate.. I believe the push will not be accepted as before and or dismissed all together.. as I said before Ninty better pray.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"] Great point.. and this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I'm not sold on the WiiU. 3rd party devs are going out of their way to not make games for Ninty's new platform. So what exactly will the future hold once the 720/PS4 are released? :|OhSnapitz

It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers.

Ok, but why? Would you seriously consider getting the WiiU version of their sequels, when factoring in such things as Nintendo's online, no achievement system, all your friends are on another place, Xbox always having the best version. Not to mention hardware power.

Why is the multiplatform state of WiiU even a consideration for you? I don't get it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, F-Zero, Smash; they are all safe bets regardless, and this is the only thing that should be on your mind.

I.e. do I want 3D Mario badly, is is worth putting down $300 for the system just for this game? Hmm, do I like Smash/Zelda etc. enough to care? Does that (magnificent) Project X trailer excite me? These are the kinds of questions relevant for WiiU, not whether Lara Croft will make a visit.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Haven't thought about Tomb Raider since the PS1 days.
jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts
That is such a Lame Excuse.. and Tomb Raider is starting to look like a Mediocre Game anyway.. and i dont Care if AdobeArtist gets butthurt over my comment either..
jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

SuperFlakeman

Ok, but why? Would you seriously consider getting the WiiU version of their sequels, when factoring in such things as Nintendo's online, no achievement system, all your friends are on another place, Xbox always having the best version. Not to mention hardware power.

Why is the multiplatform state of WiiU even a consideration for you? I don't get it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, F-Zero, Smash; they are all safe bets regardless, and this is the only thing that should be on your mind.

I.e. do I want 3D Mario badly, is is worth putting down $300 for the system just for this game? Hmm, do I like Smash/Zelda etc. enough to care? Does that (magnificent) Project X trailer excite me? These are the kinds of questions relevant for WiiU, not whether Lara Croft will make a visit.

why do achievements have to be a factor in this? Acheivements are not even important.. i have a 50,000 gamerscore and i couldnt care less about it nor does it make me a better gamer or add to the gameplay..
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#65 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Family Friendly image Nintendo is ... Tomb Raider featuring a young girl attempted to get raped n blowing the dudes brains in ... Don't think Nintendo wants it or the company wants it on a console that has a proven track record of not buying mature games ... Or Any 3rd Party games for that matter

ebrezzy1

iMbTrk0EVIGKz.gif

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Maybe porting the game to Wii U isn't as easy as some of you derp derps who suddenly and magically seem to have first hand knowledge about game development on this scale really entails.

The the ps360 version of Batman AC had already been out for a year when the WiiU version came out and it still had problems. Even with all that extra time to optimize.

Maybe unfasten yourself from Nintendo's nutsack long enough to realize that Ninteno shipped the WiiU with low end hardware so they could have that expensive gimick controller without taking any loss.

We should even be having this dicussion right now, when GPU's from 2008 could already play 360 ports at 2-3x the resolution and framerate yet a console from the end of 2012 struggles to manage a 1:1 conversion? Stop drinking the koolaid and use whatever's left of your feeble brain.

Pray_to_me

Actually info from a dev released awhile ago mentiioned how a game he was porting still managed to look decent on te WiiU.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Probably a good call, it doesn't have mario or zelda in the title so wouldn't sell.RR360DD

I hate stereotypes.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so they didnt want to spend the extra time on wiiU and then going through the trouble of calling it the best version?

porbably would have pssd off all the 360/ps3 consumers and boycott their game.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

so they didnt want to spend the extra time on wiiU and then going through the trouble of calling it the best version?

KBFloYd

Why would that piss off 360 and PS3 owners? I don't remember seeing 360 and PS3 owners boycotting Black Ops II or Assassin's Creed III when those games got ported to the Wii U. And why are you assuming the Wii U would get the best version of Tomb Raider?

Especially if all the versions came out at the same time?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

caryslan2

Why would that piss off 360 and PS3 owners? I don't remember seeing 360 and PS3 owners boycotting Black Ops II or Assassin's Creed III when those games got ported to the Wii U. And why are you assuming the Wii U would get the best version of Tomb Raider?

Especially if all the versions came out at the same time?

tomb raider is already a bit of a joke to those "hardcore" ps3/360 gamers....making a wiiU version with "enhanced" gamepad controls would mean even less sales on said systems...

wiiU would get the best version because 1. the hardware can do it...and 2 the gamepad is going to be advertised as a plus not a minus..

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#71 TonyKoeffler
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Randy Pitchford said something similar about not porting Borderlands 2 to the Wii U. Devs don't want to put extra effort into a platform where it's going to get the least amount of sales. Nintendo better hope Sony or MS have a touchscreen controller as well, otherwise the only games that will make good use of the Wii U tablet will be Nintendo's first party games.BPoole96

Yea but sales aren't really the problem for Randy. Hell, he really wants Borderlands 2 ported to the Vita, but since Gearbox wants to pull forward with BL2 DLC and other projects, he said Sony has to step forward and find someone to port it if they want it to happen.

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 TonyKoeffler

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

Family Friendly image Nintendo is ... Tomb Raider featuring a young girl attempted to get raped n blowing the dudes brains in ... Don't think Nintendo wants it or the company wants it on a console that has a proven track record of not buying mature games ... Or Any 3rd Party games for that matter

OreoMilkshake

iMbTrk0EVIGKz.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2QAuSJJHI

Nintendo won't have violent games, eh?

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

thats just been 1upped
joker-clap.gif

congrats

nintendoboy16

Yeah, man. It's not like Nintendo went out of the way to get Bayonetta 2 on the Wii-U, or Resident Evil 4 was one of the best-selling games on the Gamecube, or anything like that. Nintendo sure does hate having dem mature games on its consoles.

Also... it's not like Nintendo didn't leave Mortal Kombat II on the SNES alone after MKI on the same console got backlash for it's censorship.

Nope, not at all.

:roll:

you know the first one didn't have blood for the last good nintendo console ... you had to enter a cheat code ... while the sega verison did ... that is what very first started nintendo is a kiddy console

again nintendo is a family friendly console and known as kidtendo and other such terms ... people go alll the way back to the gamecube or then snes ... to pick out games ... theres a reason why nintendo consoles haven't gotten third party support since the snes ... nintendo gamers don't buy them ... i don't know why people don't understand that

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TonyKoeffler

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Yeah, man. It's not like Nintendo went out of the way to get Bayonetta 2 on the Wii-U, or Resident Evil 4 was one of the best-selling games on the Gamecube, or anything like that. Nintendo sure does hate having dem mature games on its consoles.ebrezzy1

Also... it's not like Nintendo didn't leave Mortal Kombat II on the SNES alone after MKI on the same console got backlash for it's censorship.

Nope, not at all.

you know the first one didn't have blood for the last good nintendo console ... you had to enter a cheat code ... while the sega verison did ... that is what very first started nintendo is a kiddy console

again nintendo is a family friendly console and known as kidtendo and other such terms ... people go alll the way back to the gamecube or then snes ... to pick out games ... theres a reason why nintendo consoles haven't gotten third party support since the snes ... nintendo gamers don't buy them ... i don't know why people don't understand that

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ebrezzy1

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Also... it's not like Nintendo didn't leave Mortal Kombat II on the SNES alone after MKI on the same console got backlash for it's censorship.

Nope, not at all.

TonyKoeffler

the game didn't sell though ... only proving my point ... so thanks

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TonyKoeffler

[QUOTE="TonyKoeffler"]

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

ebrezzy1

Didn't sell? Compared to what? So basically you are generalizing that all Nintendo gamers are people who are only interested in kiddie and/or casual games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

The underlying reason is: cost > potential revenue, as they see it. Reasonable.

DarkLink77

Oh, definitely. But don't feed us some BS about the touchscreen. Just say it doesn't make sense to port it at this time, or you don't feel like it, or you're focusing on making the best game possible on PS3, 360, and PC. None of those things are untrue, and no one will lose their sh!t over that. But don't lie to us because you think we're dumb. C'mon now.

I agree with you, but do you think he thought to lie right away when he was asked the question?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
nintendos 'innovation' preventing 3rd parties from porting over...lmao. Nintendowned
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Wii U Pro Controller

Problem solved.

magiciandude
That thing doesn't even work with most Wii U games.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Translation- Wii U isn't selling, so why waste our time and money on making the game for it.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SuperFlakeman

That thing doesn't even work with most Wii U games.DragonfireXZ95

His point was for the developers to realize it exists and utilize it more...

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TonyKoeffler

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] That thing doesn't even work with most Wii U games.SuperFlakeman

But why should they bother? It's extra time and money to be spent when they already have the PC, PS3, and 360 to develop for and get plenty of sales.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] That thing doesn't even work with most Wii U games.SuperFlakeman

thats the problem with having a 'secondary' controller... just like the 'move' , the install base with the secondary controller wont be anything close to how many ppl actually own a wii u
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] That thing doesn't even work with most Wii U games.campzor

thats the problem with having a 'secondary' controller... just like the 'move' , the install base with the secondary controller wont be anything close to how many ppl actually own a wii u

Ofc, not saying that they should, was just pointing out the misunderstanding, not taking a side.

My stance on this matter is it's very easy to put a map or something on the second screen and just simply port it, no enhancements or tailored for WiiU crap. The GamePad is a traditional controller in itself, this particular excuse only applies to Wii, since straight porting often isn't possible.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Wii U Pro Controller

Problem solved.

magiciandude

evK918Z.jpg

HP6Kl0X.png

q7M74xm.jpg

Problem solved.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

The underlying reason is: cost > potential revenue, as they see it. Reasonable.

Heil68

Oh, definitely. But don't feed us some BS about the touchscreen. Just say it doesn't make sense to port it at this time, or you don't feel like it, or you're focusing on making the best game possible on PS3, 360, and PC. None of those things are untrue, and no one will lose their sh!t over that. But don't lie to us because you think we're dumb. C'mon now.

I agree with you, but do you think he thought to lie right away when he was asked the question?

Well... I... uh... YES!
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Wiiu gamepad: inventory swap aka clothing swap.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Sure sounds like a copout to me..
Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#89 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

This is definitely going to be a weakness for the Wii U for Devs in the long run. Devs feel obligated to use the gamepad just because its part of the system. Dice, Gearbox, and Crystal Dynamics all appear to be on this boat.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ebrezzy1

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

[QUOTE="TonyKoeffler"]

TonyKoeffler

Didn't sell? Compared to what? So basically you are generalizing that all Nintendo gamers are people who are only interested in kiddie and/or casual games.

stupid to argue ... the fact is a nintendo console has not gotten 3rd party support since the snes ... what do you think the reason is then ... many people know why and have stated it ... no one is gonna buy the game enough to bother putting the game on the Wii U ... people think oh nintendo didn't get support cuz the wii was underpowered well guess what the wii u is a ps3 xbox 360 and still no one gives a hoot to put their core gamer focused mature gamer focused games on the system

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Timstuff

[QUOTE="TonyKoeffler"]

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

ebrezzy1

stupid to argue ... the fact is a nintendo console has not gotten 3rd party support since the snes ... what do you think the reason is then ... many people know why and have stated it ... no one is gonna buy the game enough to bother putting the game on the Wii U ... people think oh nintendo didn't get support cuz the wii was underpowered well guess what the wii u is a ps3 xbox 360 and still no one gives a hoot to put their core gamer focused mature gamer focused games on the system

Nintendo's woes began when they rejected CDs on the N64. It continued on the Gamecube when they made it look like a purple purse, while also rejecting DVDs and online play. The Wii was such a hot mess that I don't think I need to explain what went wrong there. The Wii U is the Wii again, except it does not have the novelty of motion controls to sell it to old people this time.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Timstuff
Gamepad backfiring on Nintendo, working as easy excuse not to dev for the platform until it increases user base. Pretty lame, it's not like the WiiU doesn't have the Pro pad.getyeryayasout
I don't think they really need an excuse. Making games for Nintendo systems isn't profitable enough, and I think they should be upfront about it.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Let's be honest here, they're not making Tomb Raider for the Wii U because finanically it wouldn't benefit the company.

nameless12345

If you say so...

Just like the real reason behind the Capcom Vita thing, it's because the console doesn't have the install base to make it worth it right now.

Every console goes through the catch 22 period. Publishers don't want to put games out because it hasn't sold enough and it needs to sell enough to get publishers to take it seriously.

It still cost money to port, release and market a game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

ebrezzy1

Explain ZombiU and Bayonetta 2 then...

Also, Nintendo gamers will buy M-rated games if they are good and advertised.

For example the Turok games on the N64 and the Resident Evil games on GC sold decently.

Not to mention Mortal Kombat II on the SNES which helped move consoles due to better graphics than the Sega version and no censorship...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 nameless12345

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

[QUOTE="TonyKoeffler"]

Timstuff

Nintendo's woes began when they rejected CDs on the N64. It continued on the Gamecube when they made it look like a purple purse, while also rejecting DVDs and online play.

They opted for cartridges on the 64 because of the failed collaboration with Sony to make the CD drive for SNES.

They were collaborating with Philips too but that was also a bad move. (now you know where all the "glorious" CD-I Zelda and Mario games come from...)

They knew it would be a bottleneck later on and started working on the "disc drive" even before the 64 came out.

But that took too long to make and was released only in Japan and a failure so they moved almost all the projects to cart-only or canned them.

Carts were not the only problem as the system was also difficult to develop for and Sony just had the bigger marketing machine.

GC used DVDs btw, they were just in "mini" format.

Also, purple purse >>> X-brick and Darth's toaster...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

HalcyonScarlet

If you say so...

Just like the real reason behind the Capcom Vita thing, it's because the console doesn't have the install base to make it worth it right now.

Every console goes through the catch 22 period. Publishers don't want to put games out because it hasn't sold enough and it needs to sell enough to get publishers to take it seriously.

It still cost money to port, release and market a game.

So when the next PS and Xbox are released some devs will just say "we won't make games for them yet because the install base is too small" ?

BS excuse tbh...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 FireEmblem_Man

Nintendo's woes began when they rejected CDs on the N64. It continued on the Gamecube when they made it look like a purple purse, while also rejecting DVDs and online play. The Wii was such a hot mess that I don't think I need to explain what went wrong there. The Wii U is the Wii again, except it does not have the novelty of motion controls to sell it to old people this time.Timstuff

I guess you didn't read my post here, it's beyond CD's, western/PC developers always have a stigma with Nintendo since the NES. I mean, who wanted to release games on an underpowered console that is only 8-bit when the Apple II, Amiga, Commodore, were powerful up to 16-bit and great sound. You can't play Ultima, Madden, Wasteland, or even Elder Scrolls on the NES.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
its tomb raider... no one cares anyway