The Main Reason why Tomb Raider is not going on WiiU.

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17547 posts) -

This is definitely going to be a weakness for the Wii U for Devs in the long run. Devs feel obligated to use the gamepad just because its part of the system. Dice, Gearbox, and Crystal Dynamics all appear to be on this boat.

Link3301

It has always been a weaknes for Nintendo every generation. The only strong 3rd party after all these years were Japanese third parties, until Sony snatched them with Playstation.

I say that Nintendo will regain back Japanese third parties, but western third parties will continue to shun Nintendo

#102 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo's woes began when they rejected CDs on the N64. It continued on the Gamecube when they made it look like a purple purse, while also rejecting DVDs and online play. The Wii was such a hot mess that I don't think I need to explain what went wrong there. The Wii U is the Wii again, except it does not have the novelty of motion controls to sell it to old people this time.FireEmblem_Man

You can't play Ultima on the NES.

Yes you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwEwcOgi6o

NES and SNES had good 3rd party support, things changed with the 64 and GC,,,

#103 Posted by RR360DD (13827 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

So more sales = no financial benefit?

If you say so...

nameless12345

Just like the real reason behind the Capcom Vita thing, it's because the console doesn't have the install base to make it worth it right now.

Every console goes through the catch 22 period. Publishers don't want to put games out because it hasn't sold enough and it needs to sell enough to get publishers to take it seriously.

It still cost money to port, release and market a game.

So when the next PS and Xbox are released some devs will just say "we won't make games for them yet because the install base is too small" ?

BS excuse tbh...

No because lems and cows actually buy games. The 360 launched with an attach rate of around 4, whereas the Wii U has launched with an attach rate of around 1, and I bet most of those game sales were nintendo games.

#104 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17547 posts) -

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Nintendo's woes began when they rejected CDs on the N64. It continued on the Gamecube when they made it look like a purple purse, while also rejecting DVDs and online play. The Wii was such a hot mess that I don't think I need to explain what went wrong there. The Wii U is the Wii again, except it does not have the novelty of motion controls to sell it to old people this time.nameless12345

Yes you can...

But they were crappy ports and not as good as the PC versions.... Although a great Ultima alternative have always been Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy ;)

#105 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

Just like the real reason behind the Capcom Vita thing, it's because the console doesn't have the install base to make it worth it right now.

Every console goes through the catch 22 period. Publishers don't want to put games out because it hasn't sold enough and it needs to sell enough to get publishers to take it seriously.

RR360DD

So when the next PS and Xbox are released some devs will just say "we won't make games for them yet because the install base is too small" ?

BS excuse tbh...

No because lems and cows actually buy games. The 360 launched with an attach rate of around 4, whereas the Wii U has launched with an attach rate of around 1, and I bet most of those game sales were nintendo games.

Maybe the 3rd partys simply aren't trying enough on Nintendo's systems?

Usually, the Nintendo system gets the watered-down or "gimmicky" port and if it's not then it likely lacks solid advertising.

You have to give people a reason why to buy the game on Nintendo's system.

#106 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8068 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

So more sales = no financial benefit?

If you say so...

nameless12345

BS excuse tbh...

It depends, if the consoles sell well from the beginning like the 360, then it's not a problem. The Wii U has had a slow start, it hasn't got too many games and new users aren't coming yet. These guys aren't fanboys, they go where the money is and the Wii U isn't there yet.

And yes, not every developer will jump on board with the next Xbox and PS console right off the bat.

The Wii U has been out two months. These early teething problems are bound to happen. Most first year games on the 360 were just quick PC ports. That's how they established themselves with the early library.

The Wii U will not get a version of every upcoming multiplat game right now. It would likely be a different story if the console sold out everywhere during Christmas.

#107 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

FireEmblem_Man

Yes you can...

But they were crappy ports and not as good as the PC versions.... Although a great Ultima alternative have always been Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy ;)

I wasn't talking about quality at all.

My point was that NES (and SNES) enjoyed good 3rd party support.

Western devs, at the time, were more "computer-centric" than console-centric so it's understandable not much effort was put into these NES ports of the then-popular Western games.

#108 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34374 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

BS excuse tbh...

nameless12345

Usually, the Nintendo system gets the watered-down or "gimmicky" port and if it's not then it likely lacks solid advertising.

I can name a few instances WHEN third party games sell well on Nintendo systems. Sonic Colors selling 2 million across the Wii and DS (outselling Generations on PS3, 360, 3DS) Resident Evil 4 sold a million on GameCube and nearly two million on Wii (PS2 outsold both versions though) At launch, the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II outsold the PS2 version (only to have the latter outsell the former overtime) If that isn't evidence enough, I don't know what is.
#109 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

nintendoboy16

I can name a few instances WHEN third party games sell well on Nintendo systems. Sonic Colors selling 2 million across the Wii and DS (outselling Generations on PS3, 360, 3DS) Resident Evil 4 sold a million on GameCube and nearly two million on Wii (PS2 outsold both versions though) At launch, the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II outsold the PS2 version (only to have the latter outsell the former overtime) If that isn't evidence enough, I don't know what is.

That was quite an achievement considering the install base on GC was much smaller than PS2's.

The GC would probably fare a little better if it had online support and if the devs put a bit more effort into there ports. (i.e. make them look more like Xbox versions instead of the tonned-down PS2 versions; GC had the power for that, it just required some effort to be put in)

As for Wii - it was too weak and had a too different control scheme to get any serious support.

WiiU fixes this to a degree but apparently not in a significant enough manner to attract the 3rd parties.

#110 Posted by El_Garbanzo (296 posts) -

U stands for underpowered

#111 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17547 posts) -

I wasn't talking about quality at all.

My point was that NES (and SNES) enjoyed good 3rd party support.

Western devs, at the time, were more "computer-centric" than console-centric so it's understandable not much effort was put into these NES ports of the then-popular Western games.

nameless12345

Yeah, I understand but I was talking more about the stigma of western third parties, which back in the day were more PC-centric, companies like EA focused more on PC gaming in the 80's when Trip Hawkins was relavent (but now a senile old fool). No doubt Japanes third party support was huge in the NES and SNES, but I will expect more Japanese third parties will make more games on the Wii U, and probably make games for the PS4 (if sony markets the PS4 better than the vita) over the next xbox.

As for Western third parties, they will continue to make excuse to not support Nintendo and continue to only support on what makes them happy.

#112 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

"because Wii U is offering something so unique, it would require more than just a basic port."

We knew this sh*tty excuse would come, Nintendo even gave us a 360 controller clone, but it won't work. Just say you didn't want to port and that's it.

#113 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

"because Wii U is offering something so unique, it would require more than just a basic port."

We knew this sh*tty excuse would come, Nintendo even gave us a 360 controller clone, but it won't work. Just say you didn't want to port and that's it.

SaltyMeatballs
\maybe cause they cant afford to port a game to the whole 5 people who own a wiiu
#114 Posted by OhSnapitz (19275 posts) -

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Would you have gotten WiiU version of GTA V, Tomb Raider, etc. even if it did get perfect ports?

Nope. PS3 or 360 is your ecosystem of achievements, friends, etc. It's Steam in my case. It's nice that WiiU gets all kinds of indie games like The Cave... but I will get it for Steam instead, I don't do "gotta support X platform"

You buy a WiiU for its exclusives. When depends on its value in your eyes. For instance I got a PS3 Slim for $300 "just" for MGS4, that was my value limit. I got a WiiU day 1 cus of Nintendo Land, now it's sitting there collecting dust until the next wave of exclusives.

SuperFlakeman

It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers.

Ok, but why? Would you seriously consider getting the WiiU version of their sequels, when factoring in such things as Nintendo's online, no achievement system, all your friends are on another place, Xbox always having the best version. Not to mention hardware power.

Why is the multiplatform state of WiiU even a consideration for you? I don't get it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, F-Zero, Smash; they are all safe bets regardless, and this is the only thing that should be on your mind.

I.e. do I want 3D Mario badly, is is worth putting down $300 for the system just for this game? Hmm, do I like Smash/Zelda etc. enough to care? Does that (magnificent) Project X trailer excite me? These are the kinds of questions relevant for WiiU, not whether Lara Croft will make a visit.

I guess some people simply don't understand the logic of some gamers.. I want it ALL.. Why purchase a system with a few exclusives in mind. :| IF you have it All then you may not need to purchase another system.. ie PS4/720. And you have more to play on your $300 box than Mario/Zelda/Metroid. This is why the last few systems Nintendo has released in the past has "failed" with gamers.
#115 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17547 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

ultraking

\maybe cause they cant afford to port a game to the whole 5 people who own a wiiu

No, not really

Ubisoft stated that porting games to the Wii U is cheap, so there shouldn't be no excuses on why the third parties can't make or port games to the console.

#116 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"] It's not just that *insert platform* has exclusives/multiplats.. It's that *insert platform* has potential... And I don't see it with the Wii-U. If those games you mentioned were coming out for the Wii-U.. I (and others) would consider the platform simply because GTA 6, Resident Evil 7, and Tomb Raider "Reboot" II would be sure bet. As it stands I can't see companies all of a sudden jumping aboard with the PS4/720 looming. Ninty better pray M$/Sony has some sort of touch screen controllers. OhSnapitz

Ok, but why? Would you seriously consider getting the WiiU version of their sequels, when factoring in such things as Nintendo's online, no achievement system, all your friends are on another place, Xbox always having the best version. Not to mention hardware power.

Why is the multiplatform state of WiiU even a consideration for you? I don't get it.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, F-Zero, Smash; they are all safe bets regardless, and this is the only thing that should be on your mind.

I.e. do I want 3D Mario badly, is is worth putting down $300 for the system just for this game? Hmm, do I like Smash/Zelda etc. enough to care? Does that (magnificent) Project X trailer excite me? These are the kinds of questions relevant for WiiU, not whether Lara Croft will make a visit.

I guess some people simply don't understand the logic of some gamers.. I want it ALL.. Why purchase a system with a few exclusives in mind. :| IF you have it All then you may not need to purchase another system.. ie PS4/720. And you have more to play on your $300 box than Mario/Zelda/Metroid. This is why the last few systems Nintendo has released in the past has "failed" with gamers.

didn't read your comment , but awesome Flashback sig! you ever play Out Of This World?
#117 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

FireEmblem_Man

No, not really

Ubisoft stated that porting games to the Wii U is cheap, so there shouldn't be no excuses on why the third parties can't make or port games to the console.

The thing I'm wondering is if it would be different situation for Nintendo if they made a more powerful system with a "traditional" controller.

I think it would be the GameCube all over again, i.e. ignored my many major 3rd party players and neglected by the others...

I'm not even sure if people would actually go out and buy the games for the system even if it would have the superior versions of the games...

#118 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

RR360DD

It's cute that you actually think Cows buy games.

#119 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

LegatoSkyheart

plenty of ps exclusives sell. But try and keep the myth alive
#120 Posted by RR360DD (13827 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

LegatoSkyheart

Yeah thats fair. Lems buy games. Cows buy movies and sheep buy mario and zelda.
#121 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

ultraking

Explain the failures of Playstation All Stars, Resistance 3, Twisted Metal, 3D Dot Game Heroes, StarHawk, Infamous 2, etc.

These games were hailed and clamered by cows, but in the end these didn't get hardly enough attention then they should.

Also look at the The Playstation Vita. The poor Sales of the System has it's self in the same position as the WiiU, great System, not enough support.

Wouldn't be too surprised when Sly Cooper 4 comes out and it recieves dismal sales, despite having good critical reception.

#122 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Explain the failures of Playstation All Stars, Resistance 3, Twisted Metal, 3D Dot Game Heroes, StarHawk, Infamous 2, etc.

These games were hailed and clamered by cows, but in the end these didn't get hardly enough attention then they should.

Also look at the The Playstation Vita. The poor Sales of the System has it's self in the same position as the WiiU, great System, not enough support.

Wouldn't be too surprised when Sly Cooper 4 comes out and it recieves dismal sales, despite having good critical reception.

let's forget killzone , God Of war , GT ,
#123 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

let's forget killzone , God Of war , GT , ultraking

And out of How many of those Sony Exclusives you planned on listing were actually critical successes?

#124 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17547 posts) -

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

[QUOTE="ultraking"]\maybe cause they cant afford to port a game to the whole 5 people who own a wiiunameless12345

No, not really

The thing I'm wondering is if it would be different situation for Nintendo if they made a more powerful system with a "traditional" controller.

I think it would be the GameCube all over again, i.e. ignored my many major 3rd party players and neglected by the others...

I'm not even sure if people would actually go out and buy the games for the system even if it would have the superior versions of the games...

I still wouldn't think anything will change even if Nintendo did bend down and listen to the demands of Western third parties. That stigma is still there

#125 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

RR360DD

I think you ment "lems buy Halo, Gears and Forza" ;)

And even that is kinda generous as Forza doesn't really turn any sales-records.

360 is pretty much "the shooter console".

#126 Posted by RR360DD (13827 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="ultraking"]plenty of ps exclusives sell. But try and keep the myth aliveultraking

let's forget killzone , God Of war , GT ,

Uncharted would've been a better example than Killzone. Under 3 million in sales. Not exactly a lot for your flagship shooter franchise.

#127 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"]let's forget killzone , God Of war , GT , LegatoSkyheart

And out of How many of those Sony Exclusives you planned on listing were actually critical successes?

umm. All 3. I also forgot Lbp and MGS4 and heavy rain. All were top sellers. But let's focus on all stars , cause we all know sony lives and dies by the new franchise
#128 Posted by RR360DD (13827 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

nameless12345

And Fable. 5 million sales. I'd say its pretty much the shooter / RPG console.

#129 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
Forgot uncharted series also. Yea , keep that myth alive
#130 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Yeah thats fair. Lems buy games. Cows buy movies and sheep buy mario and zelda.RR360DD

Those genres are better on PC tho.

So you're pretty much enjoying a "watered-down PC". ;)

#131 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
Forgot demons souls also. But yea , let's just focus on all stars sales
#132 Posted by SecretPolice (32704 posts) -

Cuz they know sheep only buy games pub'ed by Nintendo. :o

Seriously, small user base so at this time, it's just not worth it - it's all about the dollers and..... sense. :P

#133 Posted by RR360DD (13827 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Those genres are better on PC tho.

So you're pretty much enjoying a "watered-down PC". ;)

If that were true, its completely unrelated. Congrats on the derail.

#134 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

Forgot demons souls also. But yea , let's just focus on all stars salesultraking

holy crap are you going to keep mooing or what? You've proved your point and just keep rolling trying to keep the Sony Damage Control to a minimum.

I'm going to put you on my Top 10 Cows of 2013 list.

As for Third Party Support on the WiiU.

I'm going to assume it's the same deal as why PC gets late releases of 3rd Party games. Development costs and such, which sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#135 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
Why would they waste their time developing new aspects for only ONE system that barely has a market presence? its no excuse people, its common sense.
#136 Posted by delta3074 (19951 posts) -
Capcom saying Revelations can't work on Vita because of Screen Resolutions.LegatoSkyheart
Can't believe Capcom thought we where stupid enough to believe that,lol Wii-u not geting a lot of good third party games it seems
#137 Posted by delta3074 (19951 posts) -
Why would they waste their time developing new aspects for only ONE system that barely has a market presence? its no excuse people, its common sense.MBirdy88
they didn't say that though,lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#138 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Why would they waste their time developing new aspects for only ONE system that barely has a market presence? its no excuse people, its common sense.delta3074
they didn't say that though,lol

Yes, because saying that would build a bad reputation with nintendo and its fans. but its the underlying reality. There is no promise of any success by putting it on the Wii U so close to release.
#139 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Maybe you can't protect Lara as much on the WiiU as you can on the other systems.

#140 Posted by delta3074 (19951 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

LegatoSkyheart

they do, it ain't 2006 no more,lol
#141 Posted by AznbkdX (4257 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

BS excuse tbh...

nameless12345

Similar to how there is a catch 22 on new consoles userbase there is a catch on the hardware as well.

The reason why we get these "watered down" ports is because Ninty doesn't know how to modernize a system or just plain doesn't want to. Not to say they need to, but if you want third party multiplats and such, the system should be up to snuff or better than whats being offered on a competitor system so gamers would feel that its right to buy them.

For Ninty they have yet to give this incentive until now, which is why third parties always make bad ports or nothing at all on it. This translates to less gamers buying their games, which in conjunction turns away devs from the system.

#142 Posted by ZIMdoom (8642 posts) -

Devs, if you just add me Off-Screen play on my GamePad, I'll buy that game over any other port (PC or console.) Off-screen play really is a buying point for me personally, since I don't have to give up my gaming session if the family wants to watch a movie or something. yoshi_64

I completely agree with you. I have two young kids, a wife, and only 1 tv. The only time I get to play any games is kid games. The Wii U has been a bit of a life saver for me because, as you said, it allows me to play a game I want without having to worry about who else wants/needs the tv.

Much like you, Tomb Raider with the off-screen feature (like mario, call of duty, etc) would easily mean I buy the Wii U version over my PS3.

#143 Posted by trollop_scat (2656 posts) -

BS or not, get used to it, sheep. Wii U won't be getting any good 3rd party games. Again. Enjoy saving the princess. Again.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#144 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (25310 posts) -
Sigh. Yup, innovation is really helping out Nintendo.
#145 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -

that's a bullsh*t excuse because the wii u pad already has all the buttons and functionality of a traditional controller.
All this comes down to is yet another western third party studio looking for any chance they can get to avoid nintendo.

#146 Posted by super600 (32423 posts) -

BS or not, get used to it, sheep. Wii U won't be getting any good 3rd party games. Again. Enjoy saving the princess. Again.

trollop_scat

Japanese third party?

#147 Posted by AznbkdX (4257 posts) -

[QUOTE="trollop_scat"]

super600

Japanese third party?

All those Japansies making games for a Japanese company?

Psh... whatever man.

#148 Posted by AHUGECAT (8967 posts) -

The Wii U gamepad is the worst thing to ever hit gaming. What the heck was Nintendo thinking?! Were they?!

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
#149 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (6803 posts) -

LOL Nintendo, skipping out on 3rd party games so its customers are forced to starve :).

Less powerful, unique interface. Wow, wth do people buy Nintendo for these days? Ur missing out on just about everything. Save the occasional first party gem

#150 Posted by Timstuff (26840 posts) -

The Wii U gamepad is the worst thing to ever hit gaming. What the heck was Nintendo thinking?! Were they?!

AHUGECAT

They were thinking "everyone says the iPad is eating the casual game market, so let's trick casuals into thinking our system comes with an iPad."