The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs Horizon: Zero Dawn

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs Horizon: Zero Dawn (184 votes)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 63%
Horizon: Zero Dawn 38%

I suppose it is time- both these games have now been out for long enough that we can ask players what they thought of them, and which one they enjoyed more. So, of the two, which one did you enjoy more, and why?

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Incidentally, do make sure to have a look at these two videos:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

60% of users will just vote for the one they played.

37% of users have played neither and will vote against the brand they hate the most.

3% of users who actually have experience with both games will legit vote for what they enjoyed the most.

I'm in the first camp.

Percentages supplied by Super600 btw.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts

Breath of the Wild totally invalidates Horizon Zero Dawn.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Breath of the Wild by default because I haven't played Horizon Zero Dawn yet. :P

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Horizon is lucky it released before Zelda. BotW set a new standard for open world games.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

Yet another garbage thread/poll.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Zelda. Exactly like those videos shows, it's all the little things that Zelda does that just bring the world to life.

That being said, Horizon has some of the best performance on the PS4, that it's really just shocking. Nary a drop below 30fps.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Have played neither and I picked Horizon just because BotW is not on PS4 ?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

I played both games and I enjoyed Horizon more. The nitpick of details in the video is rather useless because the inclusion or removal of these features does not make a difference in gameplay. With regards to that I enjoyed more in Horizon is simply the combat. The combat was simply more satisfying and enjoyable in addition to controls feeling more "correct".

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Incidentally, do make sure to have a look at these two videos:

Damn the attention to detail in BOTW is astonishing. How can you let a Switch have better physics than a top-tier PS4 game?

Horizon has just more advanced assets. It gets beaten in everything else.

Only played BOTW for a short moment. Platinum'd Horizon.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Man zelda is awesome, but people really exaggerating how great it is.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I played and own both games but if you really want my honest answer, my answer is Horizon: Zero Dawn and I happen to find myself enjoying it more so then the other game but other then that, I like them both.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

Will pick up horizon when I pick up another ps4 in April. Zelda is great tho

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

@Chutebox said:

I know.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Juub1990
@Pedro said:

I know.

People can exaggerate their own appreciation for something?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

I know.

People can exaggerate their own appreciation of something?

Yes. You can give a game you love more accolades than it deserves. Its not an outlandish concept.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Juub1990
@Pedro said:

Yes. You can give a game you love more accolades than it deserves. Its not an outlandish concept.

But who decides if the game deserves them or not?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I have played and own both. One is the best game I have ever played. The other is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

I know.

People can exaggerate their own appreciation of something?

And how is it decide how much accolades something deserves, outside of one's own personal appreciation of said thing?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
@charizard1605 said:

And how is it decide how much accolades something deserves, outside of one's own personal appreciation of said thing?

Yeah I really don't get that reasoning lol.

Me: "It's the best game I've ever played"

Pedro: "No it's not, you've played better games".

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

watching videos of other people playing BOTW nets me more enjoyment than playing horizon zero dawn. thinking of trading it in.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Juub1990

@princeofshapeir said:

watching videos of other people playing BOTW nets me more enjoyment than playing horizon zero dawn. thinking of trading it in.

The game hasn't got much replay value. I love the lore and some of its characters but after platinuming it I really have no intention of ever playing it again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Juub1990 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah I really don't get that reasoning lol.

Me: "It's the best game I've ever played"

Pedro: "No it's not, you've played better games".

Yeah, it's weird. Like, I totally understand someone not liking this game, or any other game, or any other thing, really, as much as people gas it up- like, you don't like Wind Waker at all, but it's really highly praised in general. I don't like Uncharted 3 as much, but it's generally well loved. Same with BotW- you're allowed to not like it as much as others do, and so think that the game didn't meet the hype for you, that's fine. It's blanket statements like 'you're overstating how good it is' that really tickle me though, lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Juub1990
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, it's weird. Like, I totally understand someone not liking this game, or any other game, or any other thing, really, as much as people gas it up- like, you don't like Wind Waker at all, but it's really highly praised in general. I don't like Uncharted 3 as much, but it's generally well loved. Same with BotW- you're allowed to not like it as much as others do, and so think that the game didn't meet the hype for you, that's fine. It's blanket statements like 'you're overstating how good it is' that really tickle me though, lol

Yeah you know how I personally loath Wind Waker yet I know you love it. I ain't gonna say you like it too much. I mean WTF you like it, you like it. I can't say you like it less than you say you do.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

Here is the thing that both are you guys are missing. There is personal opinion and there is objective accolades. Char you were guilty of claiming things of the game that were factually untrue. That is an instance of giving a game praise for the something it factually did not have. Someone's personal enjoyment of a game is not in question but both of you guys are using this as some sort of leverage which is irrelevant to the point I second.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Juub1990 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah you know how I personally loath Wind Waker yet I know you love it. I ain't gonna say you like it too much. I mean WTF you like it, you like it. I can't say you like it less than you say you do.

Yep. Like I can't say 'no, you don't hate it, you just think you do,' that's dumb. Opinions are hard to argue- I think the internet is finally at a point where it at least somewhat gets that general, basic notion now. The problem is the finer nuances and implications of that, such as degree of opinions, still largely elude most people online lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990

@Pedro said:

Here is the thing that both are you guys are missing. There is personal opinion and there is objective accolades. Char you were guilty of claiming things of the game that were factually untrue. That is an instance of giving a game praise for the something it factually did not have. Someone's personal enjoyment of a game is not in question but both of you guys are using this as some sort of leverage which is irrelevant to the point I second.

Really lol? You're still trying to push your false narrative of objective opinions lol?

Let's rewind a bit.

@Chutebox said:

And your response to that was:

@Pedro said:

I know.

How much sense does that make? You're basically saying people exaggerate how much they like it or think it's great which makes no sense at all.

What sort of accolades is it undeserving of? It's not like people are calling it the game with the most advanced graphics or biggest map ever which is factually untrue. They are calling it one of the best games ever which for them is true. Pedro doesn't think it's that great? Cool. Doesn't change the fact that other people think it's that great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@Juub1990 said:
@Pedro said:

Really lol? You're still trying to push your false narrative of objective opinions lol?

Let's rewind a bit.

@Chutebox said:

And your response to that was:

@Pedro said:

I know.

How much sense does that make? You're basically saying people exaggerate how much they like it or think it's great which makes no sense at all.

What sort of accolades is it undeserving of? It's not like people are calling it the game with the most advanced graphics or biggest map ever which is factually untrue. They are calling it one of the best games ever which for them is true. Pedro doesn't think it's that great? Cool. Doesn't change the fact that other people think it's that great.

I'm just going to add to this by saying that post launch, I have not praised the game for the 'factually untrue' things (as it turns out that the game doesn't have a state of permanence, things reset with each Blood Moon). I've instead focused solely on the interactivity and the scope for emergent gameplay. That has been my basis for enjoyment and ensuing praise with this game.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@Pedro said:

I played both games and I enjoyed Horizon more. The nitpick of details in the video is rather useless because the inclusion or removal of these features does not make a difference in gameplay.

what a load of horseshit lol

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

This is gonna be a Nintendo, and MS fanboys (cuz they have nothing better to do) VS Sony thread

Majority of people voting will not have played either, lol.

Personally, I'm just gonna watch the videos and call it a day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Thunderdrone said:
@Pedro said:

I played both games and I enjoyed Horizon more. The nitpick of details in the video is rather useless because the inclusion or removal of these features does not make a difference in gameplay.

Come on, this is you doing what we're arguing people shouldn't be doing. He's played Horizon and Zelda, he likes Horizon more, he thinks the details highlighted are trivial and inconsequential to his enjoyment of the game... why argue with him on what he thinks? You're better than this, bud

@Douevenlift_bro said:

This is gonna be a Nintendo, and MS fanboys (cuz they have nothing better to do) VS Sony thread

There aren't that many Nintendo fanboys left on this board at all. I believe it may be prudent to actually consider the possibility that people just find Breath of the Wild to be the better game

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox  Online

@Juub1990: people are.exaggerating how.much better it is compared with other games by some of the comments made

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990

@Chutebox said:

@Juub1990: people are.exaggerating how.much better it is compared with other games by some of the comments made

That post makes no sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Chutebox said:

There are three main reasons Breath of the Wild is praised:

• Emergent situations
  • Interactivity with open world
  • Exploration

Of these, the first two BotW objectively does better than most games (it's basically a spiritual successor to Morrowind), and the last one is subjective, which means a person can't be wrong by definition. What is the problem?

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Thunderdrone said:
@Pedro said:

Come on, this is you doing what we're arguing people shouldn't be doing. He's played Horizon and Zelda, he likes Horizon more, he thinks the details highlighted are trivial and inconsequential to his enjoyment of the game... why argue with him on what he thinks? You're better than this, bud

@Douevenlift_bro said:

There aren't that many Nintendo fanboys left on this board at all. I believe it may be prudent to actually consider the possibility that people just find Breath of the Wild to be the better game

I really couldn't care less what "people" prefer. If they prefer Zelda, cool. If they prefer Horizon, cool.

Has it yet dawned that people can actually be pleased with the existence of both games ? WOW strange concept I know lol

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I've played both. Zelda BotW is a far superior game. And I'm shocked at how much better Zelda is at things like physics and NPC interaction which was illustrated in those videos. Nintendo continues to make its case that horsepower does not make games better. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Horizon was when I first played it. Then when Zelda came out, I stopped thinking about Horizon altogether.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Douevenlift_bro: I am pleased with both games, personally. I sadly haven't had the chance to play more of Horizon yet, because Zelda basically became an all consuming entity once it released lol, but I was loving whatever I had played of it when I was playing it. I'll definitely go back to it and I have no doubt I will enjoy it- but I don't see the harm in comparing two ultimately very similar games that released within three days of each other.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

A great game and a good game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox  Online

@Juub1990: nah, it does.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Thunderdrone said:
@Pedro said:

The inclusion or removal of details and game systems that generate emergent type gameplay..... has no affect on gameplay? wut

Thats not an opinion. Thats a dumb statement that handwaves a massive portion of something that can heavily affect the basic gameplay loop of a game.

An opinion would be to say he prefers HZD despite BotW's details/systems. And if thats the case there should be no need to downplay what Zelda offers just to make the other look better.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Nioh or bust

Still have yet to start Zelda and am only about an hour into Horizon. The beginning was a bit rocky, but it quickly improves.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Juub1990

@Chutebox: It doesn't. You can't say people appreciate too much compared to other games. You're basically questioning personal tastes which is dumb.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox  Online

@charizard1605: I'm talking about posts made like the 3rd in this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Thunderdrone said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Thunderdrone said:
@Pedro said:

The inclusion or removal of details and game systems that generate emergent type gameplay..... has no affect on gameplay? wut

Thats not an opinion. Thats a dumb statement that handwaves a massive portion of something that can heavily affect the basic gameplay loop of a game.

An opinion would be to say he prefers HZD despite BotW's details/systems. And if thats the case there should be no need to downplay what Zelda offers just to make the other look better.

It is entirely possible (and also a given, if it is true) that his own personal playstyle does not account for or accommodate the systems that lead to emergent gameplay at all. If you feel there is an issue with how he's expressed himself, just point out what the problem is (like you did just now)- a statement like 'what a load of horseshit' is antagonistic and brings nothing to the table.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox  Online

@Juub1990: nah. I'm questioning some of the posts like post 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Chutebox said:

@charizard1605: I'm talking about posts made like the 3rd in this thread.

You mean texasgoldrush? lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox  Online

@charizard1605: Ya, I know lol. But I've seen posts like that one here and there and it's annoying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Chutebox said:

@charizard1605: Ya, I know lol. But I've seen posts like that one here and there and it's annoying.

I mean, that happens any time any game that's halfway good comes out lol. When Nioh came out, we had people claiming that it invalidated Bloodborne, for example. It's just how things are on the internet, it's not exclusive to Zelda lol.