The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sells Out Ahead Of Launch

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

What's so special about this?

To be clear, this isn't a special edition selling out- the standard edition of the game is somehow unavailable and out of stock.This does not happen, unless you have a limited print run game. The thirst and the hype here is real.

If American gamers haven't gotten your hands on the game already and don't want to go digital, I believe it is still available at Best Buy.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Fully expecting it to be regarded as the best Zelda game since ALTTP.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch/10440780.aspx?path=9824bc2daa6f20abbe1b19d2ea6ef04aen02

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Standard/dp/B01N33O68B/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1487654919&sr=1-1&keywords=zelda%2Bbreath%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bwild&th=1

https://www.ebgames.ca/Switch/Games/727749/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

Still available everywhere in Canada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MonsieurX said:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch/10440780.aspx?path=9824bc2daa6f20abbe1b19d2ea6ef04aen02

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Standard/dp/B01N33O68B/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1487654919&sr=1-1&keywords=zelda%2Bbreath%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bwild&th=1

Cool. Maybe American gamers can import from Canada, then.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Well it would be silly of them to make more than 2M as thats the initial amount of Switch units. Kinda makes it hard to gauge if its massive hype (duh) or just understandably limited numbers or lack of options lol

In any event I expect the ratio of Switchs sold to BotW copies sold to be damn near 1:1 for a good while. I think it will prove to be a true system seller. And then you look at the rest of the year...yeah, Nintendo could have a real hit on their hands. The marketing seems to be ramping up here in the US too. Keep seeing the SB ad on many channels. Never saw a damn thing for Wii U.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Yeah the Switch is a lot more expensive in Canada. (Games too :( ) It won't do as good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@m_machine024: In Canada, the Switch proper is sold out at least at EBGames.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Less talking, more releasing.

I prepurchased the Wii U version. Getting this game on day 1 is nice.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its a marketing tactic. You under stock in order to create the notion that the demand is high for your product.

Nintendo knows its the ONLY game worth buying on The Switch. They probably made 1/2 the amount they needed to satisfy demand. I'm not going to fall for it... I'll wait for not only reviews but Switch hardware reviews before I make a purchase... The game looks like a solid 8 from what I have seen, but the lack of density in the environment screams wait. I don't think open world is a good idea for a Zelda game.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@m_machine024: In Canada, the Switch proper is sold out at least at EBGames.

Not saying it wouldn't sold out but the price is a deal breaker for some people I know. I may be wrong but it seems like it will be easier in the weeks after launch to find a Switch in Canada than in the US, assuming they do not underdeliver stock. -__-

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its a marketing tactic. You under stock in order to create the notion that the demand is high for your product.

Nintendo knows its the ONLY game worth buying on The Switch. They probably made 1/2 the amount they needed to satisfy demand. I'm not going to fall for it... I'll wait for not only reviews but Switch hardware reviews before I make a purchase... The game looks like a solid 8 from what I have seen, but the lack of density in the environment screams wait. I don't think open world is a good idea for a Zelda game.

Do you have any positive evidence to back up your assertion?

That below is NOT any form of evidence.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Maroxad said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Do you have any positive evidence to back up your assertion?

That below is NOT any form of evidence.

No none at all. Its a shot in the dark... In fact I made it up this under stocking thing doesn't exist. Billion dollar industry's don't have marketing departments where I spent the last 10 years working in.

All is good... You can go back to your safe zone now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

So all 100k, 500k, 1 million copies are sold out? Until we know how many copies were allocated, then we won't know if this is impressive or not.

The thirst and the hype here is real, and so is the over dramatics lol.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Why you people are so excited for a game that looks no better than a decade old cartoon is beyond me.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I haven't even pre ordered it. I'm not worried I'll find it somewhere around here.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605: Or Nintendo is, as per usual, creating an inflated sense of demand and hype by actively under supplying everyone and creating an artificial drought!!!

/s

/conspiracy

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@commander said:

Why you people are so excited for a game that looks no better than a decade old cartoon is beyond me.

You must not have seen the trailer:

Loading Video...

The game looks incredible.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad

@commander said:

Multiple reasons

• Strong platform for emergent gameplay
  • Coming up with solutions on the fly simply by taking advantage of the physics platform.
  • A Ton of content, and what we have seen thus far is fairly good.

Only real negative I can think of are the following

• Cant rename link anymore (I usually name him I'm Horny)
  • The food system might be botched up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

For anyone who still wishes to get the Switch version, copies of the standard edition are still available on Amazon UK. :)

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Buying a Honda at a Honda dealership is not exactly thirst my friend.. It's all they have!

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

so will they limit digital downloads as well?

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

@commander said:

Well, old cartoons are better than the newer ones. New ones usually only look better.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The assumption here is that limiting supply automatically creates a high demand. That is not necessarily the case. Sounds to me like Nintendo often meets demand and then in some cases aims too low.

Can a company create too few of a product to create a headline that says sold out? Yes.

Does that automatically create greater demand for the product? No. In fact, considering how hype has died for the mini nes it seems they met demand on that product. If they had created too many stores would be flooded with the thing dying to sell them off after christmas. Store shelf is a high commodity, you want to move product not have it sit there waiting.

People wonder how Nintendo manages to stick around all these years. I'll tell ya how, because they don't flood the market with unwanted product and thus losing money. Does that mean a few will miss out? Sure. Patience is a virtue after all.

But this idea that Nintendo can magically be successful with this tactic, that is the true delusion amongst gamers. It's how they stay in business. But then again the ones bitching about this don't even buy Nintendo products.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Mangy, sold out digitally is quite impressive. Wait, how's that work exactly. lolol

Anyhooie, same old and tired, stale "N" tactics to create false, must find and get this product before it's gone impressions. :P

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I would imagine you can still digitally download from the Nintendo store correct?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
@SecretPolice said:

Mangy, sold out digitally is quite impressive. Wait, how's that work exactly. lolol

Anyhooie, same old and tired, stale "N" tactics to create false, must find and get this product before it's gone impressions. :P

I don't believe any of us have ever seen a nintendo GAME sold out before it launches. Gamestop and Amazon get the largest amount of units, making this even more of an impressive feat. This never happens with most any game. Recently it happened to Nioh. So I guess they were creating false demand too?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@commander said:

Some people value substance in their games rather than just technical achievement.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

I don't believe any of us have ever seen a nintendo GAME sold out before it launches. Gamestop and Amazon get the largest amount of units, making this even more of an impressive feat. This never happens with most any game. Recently it happened to Nioh. So I guess they were creating false demand too?

Unless you're privy to their manufacturing capacity and can share that info. I'll go with what I said.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

Unless you're privy to their manufacturing capacity and can share that info. I'll go with what I said.

Tin foil hat conspiracy theory gamers. The simplest solution is usually correct. They made two million zelda's for two million switches and it's selling 1 to 1 with the system.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@foxhound_fox said:
@commander said:

Some people value substance in their games rather than just technical achievement.

The one zelda that tried to be realistic is the most horribly dated one, graphics wise. (Twilight Princess) The one everyone made fun of still stands the test of time. (Windwaker) Nintendo knows how to remain iconic.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SecretPolice

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

Tin foil hat conspiracy theory gamers. The simplest solution is usually correct. They made two million zelda's for two million switches and it's selling 1 to 1 with the system.

No tinfoil hat here, just common sense which is almost always the simplest answer. Sometimes others suspend common sense and it's their prerogative.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Sphensen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

That is some serious tin foil hat shit right there, especially with a digital copy always available. They want everyone to play Zelda.. and it looks like everyone has responded with their cash.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

No tinfoil hat here, just common sense which is almost always the simplest answer. Sometimes others suspend common sense and it's their prerogative.

That's the funny thing about common sense, it's not all that common.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

So true my friend. The actual old saying is.... Common sense is only common to those that actually have common sense. :P

It's all good, I'm not trying and rather not fight about this stuff.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

well no shit, its literally the only game on the console

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

So true my friend. The actual old saying is.... Common sense is only common to those that actually have common sense. :P

Word. Video games is not serious business. Good vibes brutha.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@commander said:

Because graphics is all that matters,obviously.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide

@mems_1224 said:

Literally the best game at launch.

But...ugh...yeah I gotta nit pic this one...there are other games, literally other games available. I mean it's an actual fact proven by science.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Well just get it at Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us instead. It's pretty easy to find still. @charizard1605 is #FakeNews confirmed!!!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@mems_1224 said:

Literally the best game at launch.

But...ugh...yeah I gotta nit pic this one...there are other games, literally other games available. I mean it's an actual fact proven by science.

I don't believe you.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm sure the game will be very successful, Zelda is always top quality stuff. But the fact that it is sold out means nothing at the end of the day to me, especially when its from Nintendo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Word. Video games is not serious business. Good vibes brutha.

Mah man. Good stuff. :)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Well just get it at Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us instead. It's pretty easy to find still.

Only Amazon and Best Buy give 20% off though. Target gives 5% off, so at least its something.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#44 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Note: This is only for the Switch version of the Game.

The Wii U version is still widely available for those that have Wii Us.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Well just get it at Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us instead. It's pretty easy to find still.

Only Amazon and Best Buy give 20% off though. Target gives 5% off, so at least its something.

If you're gonna let $12 keep you from playing a game...

The thread title is wrong. The game is not "sold out" like TC claims it is. And one of the pics in the OP is from Gamestop. So your 20% off claim doesn't relate to TCs post.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@goldenelementxl: Im just saying why someone wouldnt buy from another store and just wait for a restock. I didnt even know Gamestop was sold out too, holycrap.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@enzyme36 said:
@Sphensen said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

That is some serious tin foil hat shit right there, especially with a digital copy always available. They want everyone to play Zelda.. and it looks like everyone has responded with their cash.

The average consumer just hears and see's headlines... "New Nintendo console"... "New game for said console sold out".

Nintendo is targeting the general demographic and have said so openly on many occasions, They show off their consoles on Fallen, Ellen and thrust family friendly advertising every where. They know what they are doing and have a marketing team that is working overtime right now. Gamer's especially ones that posses fan boy mentality tend to be very close minded on ignorant... To them what you see is what you get and so on, they don't like being told the company(especially Nintendo) can do anything wrong.

Its a tactic used to create buzz for the product.

Lets turn the table and ask a simple question:

Do you think a company that has been through 7 hardware generations and released 10's of AAAE games through out those generations... Do you really think that they can't asses the market and demand for a product and or lack the time and ability to make sure supply is met?...

Gamer... You guys have been making your bed for some time now looking at the state of the industry, your a gullible bunch.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@commander said:

Multiple reasons

• Strong platform for emergent gameplay
  • Coming up with solutions on the fly simply by taking advantage of the physics platform.
  • A Ton of content, and what we have seen thus far is fairly good.

Only real negative I can think of are the following

• Cant rename link anymore (I usually name him I'm Horny)
  • The food system might be botched up.

We can't rename Link anymore? I guess that explains why the inclusion of Voice Acting kind of threw that away....

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

The writing is on the wall. It is far easier to create hype when something sells out. Limiting supply is a simple psychology trick used to market items. The mind wants what it cannot have. The forbidden fruit.

When the console sells past 5 million in the first year we know it's not just buzz for a new console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@crashnburn281 said:

The writing is on the wall. It is far easier to create hype when something sells out. Limiting supply is a simple psychology trick used to market items. The mind wants what it cannot have. The forbidden fruit.

When the console sells past 5 million in the first year we know it's not just buzz for a new console.

If the strategy is so simple, I wonder why Nintendo didn't utilize it for Wii U or Gamecube?