The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype Thread (HYPE: AAAAE) (HYPE MET!!!!) (97 on Metacritic)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3251 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@PikminWorld said:

I kind of liked Gerudo Desert, but I dunno. I understand you, it gets boring just walking for huge stretches and then being bothered by the millionth Lizalfo or whatever that tries to guerrilla attack me lol. Sandstorm was really annoying too since I couldn't tell what general direction I was going. :P

Oh I do like the area a lot actually, it's a deceptive place. Looks so empty, but actually has plenty of fun content. I enjoyed that stretch of the game though, it was a nice change of pace in scenery, music, and traversal.

But yeah, those couple of long stretches without a seal were bleh.

@PikminWorld said:

The sand creature was actually one of my first big obstacles in the game. Even on the sand seal it would manage to hit me when it surfaced. plus I was fighting one that was surrounded by Lizalfos and Bokoblins (the former being super fast for some reason lol). I shot the crap out of it with bomb arrows as this was before I became super OP with all the special powers the Champions grant me.

Yeah I could see that being a bitch in the early game, I had two guardian powers when I took them all down. I tried going at it the same way you did at first, but eventually...

Realized I could just stand on a rock and throw bombs at the ground. He'll come up to swallow the bomb and then you detonate it. Then run down and hack away. Rinse and repeat two or three times and that's a wrap.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3252 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

are the barbarian helmet and legs located in the same maze that has the shrine? I only have the chest piece after finding the shrine.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3253 ConanTheStoner  Online

@TheShadowLord07 said:

are the barbarian helmet and legs located in the same maze that has the shrine? I only have the chest piece after finding the shrine.

Nope. There are two other labyrinths in the world containing the other pieces of the set in their respective shrines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3254 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Has any one game in a series ever made all the previous ones as thoroughly obsolete as Breath of the Wild does with all previous Zelda games?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3255 ConanTheStoner  Online

@charizard1605 said:

Has any one game in a series ever made all the previous ones as thoroughly obsolete as Breath of the Wild does with all previous Zelda games?

If we were strictly talking 3d Zelda, nah, or at least I can't think of a similar game off the top of my head right now. BotW has likely made it impossible for me to revisit a previous 3d Zelda game again. But it doesn't put a damper on the 2d games at all, I think I can still enjoy ALttP all the same.

From a pure playability standpoint, MGSV makes the previous MGS games very difficult to go back to.

Chaos Theory made the first two SC games feel lame by comparison.

RE4, but it's so far removed from what the previous games were going for, it's a weird comparison.

But BotW does 3d Zelda so much better than any 3d Zelda, it's just ridiculous lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3256 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:
@charizard1605 said:

If we were strictly talking 3d Zelda, nah, or at least I can't think of a similar game off the top of my head right now. BotW has likely made it impossible for me to revisit a previous 3d Zelda game again. But it doesn't put a damper on the 2d games at all, I think I can still enjoy ALttP all the same.

From a pure playability standpoint, MGSV makes the previous MGS games very difficult to go back to.

Chaos Theory made the first two SC games feel lame by comparison.

RE4, but it's so far removed from what the previous games were going for, it's a weird comparison.

But BotW does 3d Zelda so much better than any 3d Zelda, it's just ridiculous lol.

I mean, I guess 2D Zelda is its own beast, sure (but there I would argue ALBW did the same thing), but I want to argue the sheer staggering scope of BotW might make it hard for me to go back to those too. That said, they have their own moment to moment gameplay loop, which is entirely different from 3D Zelda, so I suppose they're not even comparable- you'd go back to them if you felt like 2D Zelda.

RE4 is what came to mind for me too- and the funny thing is, much like BotW, it was a major departure from the previous games in the series too. So yeah, I guess sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone to truly realize what the series was trying to achieve to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3258 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@getyeryayasout said:

@charizard1605: What I've been wondering, is if Horizon launched and was reviewed after BoTW, what kind of scores would it have received? I'd bet it would average out a full point lower.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the industry borrowing and implementing all BoTW's good ideas.

BoTW: The game that's ruined all other games for you.

Wish I had a Switch. :(

Even a WiiU... :.(

Honestly, I hope the industry takes some good lessons from this game. I am most interested to see how RDR2 fares now- if it follows Rockstar's template to open worlds, then it is already several steps behind BotW. It will be interesting to see if Rockstar had the same ideas for the evolution of open worlds that Nintendo did.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3259 ConanTheStoner  Online
@charizard1605 said:

I mean, I guess 2D Zelda is its own beast, sure (but there I would argue ALBW did the same thing), but I want to argue the sheer staggering scope of BotW might make it hard for me to go back to those too. That said, they have their own moment to moment gameplay loop, which is entirely different from 3D Zelda, so I suppose they're not even comparable- you'd go back to them if you felt like 2D Zelda.

RE4 is what came to mind for me too- and the funny thing is, much like BotW, it was a major departure from the previous games in the series too. So yeah, I guess sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone to truly realize what the series was trying to achieve to begin with.

Yeah, don't get me wrong... I really need to finish this damn game and allow my thoughts to settle before making such sweeping comments lol. But at the moment, I do feel that BotW completely outclasses all the previous Zelda titles I've played, 2d and 3d alike.

I'm absolutely confident in saying that about the 3d games. It's already crossed that finish line and has been doing dozens of victory laps for the hell of it. I also feel it's outclassing the 2d games as well, but yeah, different itch really.

Side note, but I now have a strong motivation to go through ALBW. I'm in such a Zelda mood now lol.

As for the RE4 thing. I dunno.

BotW simultaneously departs from many Zelda conventions while also strengthening the conventions that remain. But even for all of its changes, it still feels like Zelda at the core. It's like the same underlying goal was still in mind, just far expanded and damn near perfectly executed.

RE4 just feels like a different thing altogether. When people bitch about how it could've just been a new IP, I can kind of agree. It's such an excellent game, just doesn't come across as an extension of the previous titles.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3260  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

@getyeryayasout said:

BoTW: The game that's ruined all other games for you.

I remember Ninja Gaiden/Black ruining action games for me for a good while lol. Even to this day it's still my basis for comparison with similar games.

I think that's what BotW will be for me when it comes to action adventure games, or at least open world games going forward.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3261 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Have you heard the latest news:

A certain reviewer gives BotW 7/10.

As a result, thousands of Nintendo fanboys start sending this reviewer death threats. Yes, death threats.

What is there to say about that?

Well, Nintendo fanboys, get used to it. Now that real and honest reviewers have gotten to the end of the game, there will be lot more 7/10 reviews.

You see, the fact is that since Switch is so weak console, it will never get really good games. Get used to it. And if you wanna play good games, buy Ps4.

But no death threats. They just show how insecure you are. And besides, how could you kill anyone with the upper body strength of a five year old girl, eh?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3263 ConanTheStoner  Online

@henrythefifth said:

As a result, thousands of Nintendo fanboys start sending this reviewer death threats. Yes, death threats.

Well, Nintendo fanboys, get used to it. Now that real and honest reviewers have gotten to the end of the game, there will be lot more 7/10 reviews.

You see, the fact is that since Switch is so weak console, it will never get really good games. Get used to it. And if you wanna play good games, buy Ps4.

But no death threats. They just show how insecure you are. And besides, how could you kill anyone with the upper body strength of a five year old girl, eh?

This post is extra awesome if you imagine Bill O'Reilly saying it.

@getyeryayasout said:

I'm right there with you. It's like they say...once you go Black...

Likewise with this post.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3264  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

You can also drop onto your horse to mount it. That is like one of the first cool things I did with it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3265 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@KungfuKitten: My GF fell off a cliff in the game, her horse got stuck, good thing the horse fell faster and was there to catch her, oh how we laughed :P :P

Last dungeon to go before the castle. Might do some trekking before the fight with Ganon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3266 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I am on my first dungeon. I feel like an idiot. Some of the most basic of puzzles and I can't figure it out. I think the logic is finally clicking with me though.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3267 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@jumpaction: You can do it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3268 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@iandizion713:

It's the Divine Beast in the desert. Only two more power sources left to find!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3269 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

You mean the freakin' Series in your Sig?

Persona 1 and 2 play hella different then Persona 3.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3270 ConanTheStoner  Online

@jumpaction:

I got stumped on the last stretch of that one, trying to get into the uppermost chambers. As usual, I was overthinking it way too much. Probably spent an hour trying everything except for the most obvious thing lol.

It's a fun dungeon though. I'm happy to say that this game has stumped me a good few times, unlike the past few 3d Zeldas.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3271  Edited By iandizion713

@jumpaction: I think i saw a Divine Beast, i just had to take a picture.

But,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3272  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ConanTheStoner:

That's exactly where I am stuck! I can't get to the uppermost section of the dungeon. I have elevator access but the black goop is blocking the doorways in.

@iandizion713:

Haha. Actually, I'm not sure they are the divine beasts, are they? Just random cool...

dragons

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3273  Edited By iandizion713

@jumpaction: Yeah, theyre probably just the three iconic ones from the series.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3274 ConanTheStoner  Online
@jumpaction said:

@ConanTheStoner:

That's exactly where I am stuck! I can't get to the uppermost section of the dungeon. I have elevator access but the black goop is blocking the doorways in.

Yeah when I figured it out I simultaneously felt like an idiot and a genius lol.

Won't spoil it of course, but you may be distracted by the wrong obstacle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3275 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ConanTheStoner:

Alright. Maybe I just need a fresh perspective on it. I'll try later tonight. Thank you. :)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3276  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Death threats are absurd, but then again, so is the notion that BotW in any way deserves a 7/10. I enjoy Jim's videos, but his bias is showing in this instance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3277 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@MirkoS77: One can argue the liberal tens the game has received is also showing bias.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3278  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Pedro: if this were Skyward Sword I'd agree with you (that got a bunch of 10s across the board when it was really no more deserving than 6s and 7s, of which GS got it right), but this Zelda earns its accolades in full. Having played a decent amount, I not only consider this to be the best in the franchise, but arguably Nintendo's greatest work.

Its ambition and cohesion of so many varying parts into a seamless enjoyable experience are humbling and honestly a bit intimidating. I don't doubt there's bias going on, but if any game is deserving of a 10 based on the merits of its mechanics and gameplay, BotW is it. I've little doubt it'd garner 10s even if it were not named Zelda.

It stands on its own, the Zelda dressing is just great icing on the cake.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3279 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

I think it's rather naive to think that this game would have received the same amount of accolades if it was not branded Zelda. But what matters at the end of the day is whether the purchaser of the game is enjoying said game or not.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3280 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Love that AAAAE hype was met. Usually that's just someone trolling, lol.

Game looks incredible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3281 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@musicalmac:

It's really worth a try. :)

Give it a go if you have the chance.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3282 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@jumpaction: I will for sure. Been watching some streamers play it on Twitch. Just really impressive looking all over. It really makes it look like other open world games are way, way in the past. Even simple things like climbing. When we're all so used to glitching over mountains in games like Skyrim...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3283 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@musicalmac:

It uses the open world in a very meaningful way, which I like. It has more in common with immersive sims than contemporary open world games, in my opinion.

Do you own a Wii U or Switch?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3284 Epak_

Done, did 48 shrines, acquired 14 heart containers and a bit over two stamina wheels. Got the Master sword, the last two Divine Beasts were a bit too easy to beat with it. Good game.

Now the wait for Mario Kart begins, I hope Nintendo adds something worth buying to the eShop in the meantime, because that place is eeeeeemptyyyyyyy.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3285  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

I finished the game. It was excellent and I think it's arguably the best game on the Wii U, frame rate drops and all.

Although there were a couple things I wasn't thrilled about specifically (spoilers),

the dungeon difficulty. I don't look anything up and I don't use guides. They were too easy. Mostly due to the fact that they were all pretty similar. The first dungeon I walked into I was a little confused about getting the map and how to use it, but after that I flew through the dungeon and the next 3 dungeons pretty easily. By coincidence the first dungeon I completed was the Zora one so I had Mipha's Grace for almost the entire game which added to how easy it was including the boss battles. Not like there was anything remotely threatening to you in a dungeon other than the boss. I bring this up mostly because in comparison to older games like Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and even Twilight Princess the dungeons felt alot more involved, then again maybe it was just the fact that I was alot younger and wasn't familiar with Zelda games.

Secondly, I found the ending entirely anti-climactic. The entire game puts an emphasis on using your runes to solve puzzles and advance your way through obstacles. Not here though. Hyrule Tower seems more like a glorified Metal Gear Solid section with Guardians. I went into one of the guardhouses but my guess is they are probably both completely avoidable. The ganon fight himself was probably the toughest fight of the game but didn't quite feel as epic as some of the other Zelda games - I mean yeah you hit him with your sword alot, didn't find the runes particularly helpful again, oh now a very easy section of fighting him on a horse, use your glider link! He's dead good game. What I really wanted to happen was after fighting him on a horse, Ganon returns to humanlike form and a 1 v 1 sword battle commences - either in a ring of fire or on a mountain top. Now that would have been epic.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3286 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Epak_ said:

Done, did 48 shrines, acquired 14 heart containers and a bit over two stamina wheels. Got the Master sword, the last two Divine Beasts were a bit too easy to beat with it. Good game.

Now the wait for Mario Kart begins, I hope Nintendo adds something worth buying to the eShop in the meantime, because that place is eeeeeemptyyyyyyy.

I didn't find the sword until after I beat all 4. I was expecting there to be a quest for the sword at some point but... no you just have to go get it XD

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3287  Edited By Epak_

@KungfuKitten said:
@Epak_ said:

I didn't find the sword until after I beat all 4. I was expecting there to be a quest for the sword at some point but... no you just have to go get it XD

When I was on mah quest of unlocking the map I noticed Lost Woods and knew it had to be there, found the sword and did some Korok trials. Didn't have enough hearts to pull the sword out at first though. Had some problems finding the statue *coughSATANAcough* that can change the current hearts/stamina configuration.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#3288 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:
@Epak_ said:

What you weren't asked if you "had the sword that seals the darkness" enough? :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3289  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Cool thing I learned today: horseback is amazing for autopilot travel. I'm not sure if your bond has to be great with the horse or not depending on their obedience, but your horse will never run into anything or stop, and will stay on any trails you're on.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3290 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3291 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
Loading Video...

As great as this video is, the skele bobo's wouldn't be after him cuz it's not nighttime :/

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3292 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

32K views, what a beast of a thread. Like a big weight, unhinged from its sticky and now descends into the depths of internet oblivion.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3293 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Does anyone know how many side quests are in the game? I have heard 76. Also 74 (from the guide) and all the way up to 83.

Any word on the official number?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3294 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I have 111 Shrines. I haven't looked up a Guide. Just Word of Mouth from Friends and Family to find these things. I think I may start using a guide now.

158 Korok Seeds. Damn you Nintendo for putting in 900 of these dudes in the game. Will use a guide to find these guys.

46/76 Side Quests cleared. Probably will look up how to finish these as one I think requires Monster Extract, but I only have 1 so I need to use it carefully.

I'm gonna be so ready for the DLC.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3295  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I have 111 Shrines. I haven't looked up a Guide. Just Word of Mouth from Friends and Family to find these things. I think I may start using a guide now.

158 Korok Seeds. Damn you Nintendo for putting in 900 of these dudes in the game. Will use a guide to find these guys.

46/76 Side Quests cleared. Probably will look up how to finish these as one I think requires Monster Extract, but I only have 1 so I need to use it carefully.

I'm gonna be so ready for the DLC.

that's beast as hell man...i did 36 shrines and 25seeds....i need 1 more devine beast before i face gannon. just need to do the goron one.

---------------

btw....check out this beast gameplay beating a normal red lynel

Loading Video...

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3296 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I swear this game wants me not to like it. So I wanted to max out my champion's tunic before taking on Ganon, and that requires two horns from the fire dragon, which seems fair enough since you needed to do something similar for the previous upgrades. The problem is, no matter how close I got, no matter how many times I fired my arrows dead on them, the thing would only drop scales. I literally spent two hours trying to get one of the horns, including reloading to a different autosave until I gave up, because absolutely nothing worked. None of the other dragons gave me this problem, so I'm probably just going to say "screw it" to this last upgrade unless there's a patch. So has anyone here come across this bug?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3297 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

On my way to the fourth divine beast in Rito Village. The area and the town are absolutely beautiful! I'm around 70 hours in now, so will probably finish the game around 80 hours, and then spent another 30-40 hours completing everything (screw Korok Seeds).

Money well spent on Switch and game.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#3298  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@charizard1605:

I should get my Switch tomorrow and cannot wait to play Breath of the Wild. Currently, I am playing Majora's Mask for the first time on 3DS and having a great time. I'm sure, though, that you can still view the previous Zelda titles as retrospectively awesome, considering their classic statuses. I mean, if Breath of the Wild makes the other masterpieces included in the franchise look obsolete, then it must make every other game ever created look petty in comparison.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3299 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Link is a distractingly attractive woman

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3300 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

I'll finally go to get some use out of those korok seeds.