SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45129 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! Thoughts, SW? Is this a worthy GOAT? Which one is yours?I think Ocarina of Time is definitely worth the GOAT discussion. It’s such an influential game, and just an amazing game at that. Still my favorite Zelda and one of my favorites. As for my personal GOAT, it’s MGS, which made it to the top 16 lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

And here come the "It's because of Nintendo nostalgia" comments. Anyone got some tinfoil?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Aint no way in hell any game could beat Breath of the Wild.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1348 Posts

I’ve never played a single Zelda game so I honestly can’t say. I’ve never owned a Nintendo console either, not that I don’t like their games, I’ve just always preferred the more mature games available on Sony and Xbox.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19553 Posts

I wonder how many voted Skyrim just for the mod scene? Because the base game is trash without mods.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

Nothing wrong with that choice, definitely a fantastic game. Honestly quite a few games that would be a good choice for that spot. Some other Zelda games, some Super Mario games, some Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, etc.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3058 Posts

They misspelled StarCraft. And beyond that, completely omitted it! List is broken.

I love SMB3. Great in every way, and had the coolest announcement ever with the The Wizard. But better than Diablo 2? Kiss my ass! Then you have Shadow of the Colossus, easily one of the most overrated games ever, beating World of Warcraft? I don't really even like WoW, but between the two, WoW is the actual colossus.

I've heard a lot of defense for Wind Waker over the years, but not a lot of "it's my favorite". I can't say the same for Halo CE. Although, people incorrectly seem to prefer Halo 3. And Portal 2 beating Super Metroid? Again, Portal is a good game, but better than Super Metroid? I don't think so.

I also hate how gullible I am to consistently fall for these bait lists/brackets. Say 'X' is better than 'Y' and get instant engagement. I really am just a dumb monkey.

As far as Ocarina goes, I've tried to play it twice, but the battery in the cartridge was dead, and I couldn't save.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38869 Posts

Well, first of all, i do agree that Ocarina, for its time, was more impressive than ER. But at the same time, lets not pretend like the majority of those votes aren't comming from millennials in their 30-40's that feel OMEGA nostalgic toward it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

contest of mainstream games. yawn!!.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen  Online

Personally, i would've voted for Perfect Dark. That game was insane for its time when compared to first person shooters, especially shooters on consoles.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3413 Posts

Great picks generally speaking.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

I'm okay with that.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts

Not even in the realm of the best game of all time.... I'm not a Zelda hater and have enjoyed quite a few over the years, but... no.. I hate lists like these. Whatever though... opinions, grain of salt, shake it off, and all that.. lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

@Jag85 said:

I wonder how many voted Skyrim just for the mod scene? Because the base game is trash without mods.

This is something I will NEVER understand about this logic with Bethesda. People hate Bethesda's games that much (sans the Doom reboots, Dishonored, Fallout: New Vegas, aka the "Sonic Mania" of Bethesda Fallout, and of course, Morrowind - which I still stand by that has NOT aged all that well), but still play them because of mods.

If you hate a game THAT much, why still fricking play it?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

It's good, I'm not mad.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

Not bad all around. I have no real issues.

My favorite game is Rimworld. But this is primarily due to mods. Base game Rimworld is worse than Dwarf Fortress.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58992 Posts

Ocarina of Time is not a great game.

Something like Doom, or even Doom 64 on the same system has aged better and is still playable today due to being a better game.

Hipster list, hope they all get fired. And ill.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoboy16

@uninspiredcup said:

Something like Doom, or even Doom 64 on the same system has aged better and is still playable today due to being a better game.

Anyone even know the meaning of that word anymore?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

This is something I will NEVER understand about this logic with Bethesda. People hate Bethesda's games that much (sans the Doom reboots, Dishonored, Fallout: New Vegas, aka the "Sonic Mania" of Bethesda Fallout, and of course, Morrowind - which I still stand by that has NOT aged all that well), but still play them because of mods.

Skyrim is like a sandbox game engine. You can create all kinds of mods that can turn it into a totally different game. If you're really into modding, then Skyrim is tailor made for that. But if you don't care about modding, then Skyrim is a waste of time.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85

Most of the voters are clearly Gen Z. The list has a clear recency bias. Ocarina of Time is like the only pre-2010 game to make it into the quarter finals.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Anyone even know the meaning of that word anymore?

Ocarina of Time is very much a hipster game. People tell you it's the greatest game ever because they have been told it's the cool correct thing to say.

Doom 64 is objectively a better game. It lacks the influence but as a game, it is better.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KathaarianCode

People tend to forget SW is a bubble that has little significance on the real world. Skyrim has a 96 on metacritic for the Xbox360. And the game keeps getting special editions, which means it's basically a timeless classic.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts

Undisputed GOAT

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1255 Posts

Xbox studios Elder scrolls skyrim getting runner up,bitch slapping the likes of elden ring and TLOU 👍

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#25 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts

I have no beef with OOT but the initial picks really baffle me.

Not one racing game? No Mario Kart, F-Zero, Forza, Need for Speed etc. jeez!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45129 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

People tend to forget SW is a bubble that has little significance on the real world. Skyrim has a 96 on metacritic for the Xbox360. And the game keeps getting special editions, which means it's basically a timeless classic.

Skyrim was big for its time. Sadly, Bethesda lost their way.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendoboy16

@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Skyrim is like a sandbox game engine. You can create all kinds of mods that can turn it into a totally different game. If you're really into modding, then Skyrim is tailor made for that. But if you don't care about modding, then Skyrim is a waste of time.

Again, point stands, you hate a game that much, why play it JUST for mods? I think you all influenced paid mods (Creation Club) more than you realize.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

Again, point stands, you hate a game that much, why play it JUST for mods? I think you all influenced paid mods (Creation Club) more than you realize.

Doesn't it matter if they hate the characters, the mechanics, the story, the combat or something else? If they like the engine, and mods allow them to make it appealing to them, why shouldn't they do it? I don't understand what you're getting at.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22689 Posts

Nice to see KOTOR still so heavily respected. Mass effect 2 and Elden ring being the two other games at the top that I would have on mine.

I think its funny we still say ocarina of time is the best game of all time...😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen  Online

@TheEroica said:

Nice to see KOTOR still so heavily respected. Mass effect 2 and Elden ring being the two other games at the top that I would have on mine.

I think its funny we still say ocarina of time is the best game of all time...😂

Nostalgia is powerful. In fact, there's nothing more powerful in gaming. This is on what Nintendo feeds on.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:

I'm not a Skyrim fan. I enjoyed some mods here and there, but that's about it. I still think it's a trash game that's saved by mods.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8856 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Well deserved.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8233 Posts

Considering the final 4 games in the running.. OoT is an easy choice

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#34  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

How the hell does RDR 2 make the final 4? I wouldn't even have it in my top 100. Game had terrible pacing and was worse than the original game.

Anyway, Ocarina is definitely GOAT. No game blew me away as much as that game when it came out.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nintendoboy16

@dimebag667: The same engine that's been a source of criticism in god knows how long? Why not mod games they do like? Isn't that why people love Doom? Isn't that why New Vegas and KOTOR II are loved especially post release with their unfinished states?

Hell, I understand why people mod emu versions of Nintendo games.

Seems dumb to put all that time into a game they'll call garbage, and only play it for that ine tiny thing. Doesn't that just feed into BS like that with Bethesda?

Also, didn't modders give up on Starfield? I even remember a CERTAIN Sony troll making a thread or two on that to shame MS.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

Eh, don't really pay much attention to things like this. Truly some baffling choices, though. Like how does TLOU beat out DA: Origins? A great-for-a-movie-game should not be a great-for-a-game-game.

Bah, whatever, doesn't mean a whole lot.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dimebag667

@nintendoboy16: Honestly, I have no clue. I thought people liked New Vegas for its deeper/more classic RPG mechanics and story. Not necessarily it's engine; but I don't know.. I don't really know anything about kotor2.

Are all games they like modable? I've never played an Elder Scrolls game because the first person combat didn't look good, but if they modded it to be good, maybe I would try.

Again, I don't know the history of why this is getting you wound up. Is it a known fact that all these Skyrim modders hated the original game or engine? I thought people loved Skyrim. Am I wrong? The Bethesda engine does have a fair bit of jank, but I generally find it enjoyable. Must the two be mutually exclusive? And if people only disliked the story or something, how is modding in a different story bad? I guess I just don't know why you're so worked up.

Show me on the doll where the modders touched you.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SargentD

@BassMan said:

How the hell does RDR 2 make the final 4? I wouldn't even have it in my top 100. Game had terrible pacing and was worse than the original game.

Anyway, Ocarina is definitely GOAT. No game blew me away as much as that game when it came out.

For a guy who definitely prioritizes performance and high end tech. I respect your answer here. Respect.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17660 Posts

It’s because of Nintendo nostal…..oh, nevermind.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts

Ocarina of Time was a great game at its release, but it doesn't hold up for me. BotW blew the formula out the water and remains the quintessential Zelda game

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69524 Posts

Greatest Game of All Time is fallacy frequented by fanboys/fangirls. The stupidity is not limited to gaming. 🙃

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KathaarianCode

@SolidGame_basic: Skyrim was HUGE i personally know several people that got into gaming, or returned after many years, thanks to Skyrim. People that were in their late 20s and older.

It's a very simple game that connects with the human need to explore and discover. And it's world design is quite brilliant.

To me personally very few games give me the joy Skyrim gave me. Coming from work, smoking some weed and just go on an adventure.

I think that was peak Bethesda, with a product that had mass appeal across several generations and player types.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

lol just have to look at the semi finale brackets and see it consist of Last of us, RDR2, Zelda and Skyrim to know how much of a console shit list it is…

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

Halo CE by a light-year or three. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

Fallout 3 in the same running as Super Mario 3? Not even a massive Nintendoboy shill and even can see that's nonsense.

Ultimate Doom isn't even on the list. Probably because half the game journos never owned a PC and couldn't navigate the levels.

Imagine praising this. Come back to reality.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Ocarina of Time was a great game at its release, but it doesn't hold up for me.

It very clearly doesn't hold up. Unless judging this on a first "wow moment" at the time or nostalgia claiming it's the best game ever is lala land.

Seriously, compare something like Doom 64 to this and see what is more playable and holds up better. No excuses like "different genre".

Doom64 aside from easily being the best FPS on the platform (not Goldeneye or Perfect Dark as deluded Nintendo folks claim) is a much better game in general. And it's not even the best Doom game.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SargentD

@uninspiredcup said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

It very clearly doesn't hold up. Unless judging this on a first "wow moment" at the time or nostalgia claiming it's the best game ever is lala land.

Seriously, compare something like Doom 64 to this and see what is more playable and holds up better. No excuses like "different genre".

Doom64 aside from easily being the best FPS on the platform (not Goldeneye or Perfect Dark as deluded Nintendo folks claim) is a much better game in general. And it's not even the best Doom game.

I dunno I think OoT holds up pretty well, played the remastered 3DS version again last year. Enjoyed every second of it. Still one of the best Zelda games, prefer it's more linear style to the new BoTW stuff. Cool dungeons, story progresses nicely, cool characters, good puzzles, it's just memorable in so many ways. Played doom 64 recently too and it's good, but doesn't stick out much more than doom 1 or 2. Simple run and gun fun. It's good, but not more memorable than OoT imo.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Can anyone tell me whats so special with skyrim? Im playing it on my deck right now and i couldnt get into it. Combat is bland, map is kinda meh. Voice acting are bad. Im trying to get into it but i cant.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 uninspiredcup

@sargentd said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I dunno I think OoT holds up pretty well, played the remastered 3DS version again last year. Enjoyed every second of it. Still one of the best Zelda games, prefer it's more linear style to the new BoTW stuff. Cool dungeons, story progresses nicely, cool characters, good puzzles, it's just memorable in so many ways. Played doom 64 recently too and it's good, but doesn't stick out much more than doom 1 or 2. Simple run and gun fun.It's good, but not more memorable than OoT imo.

Both level design and combat is more complex than that of OOT in Doom 64.

Yes, it lacks innovation or influence, is this what we are measuring it on, or good well designed games that hold up?