The Call Of Duty franchise ruined good FPS

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Fine move around, then point and click.i5750at4Ghz

And the way the game interprets movement adds a lot of skill based elements to the game.

All deathmatch based FPS require the same skills. Good aim, solid reflexes, and basic flanking. If you can get these three things down you will dominate in every single deathmatch based FPS on the market.

I don't care what FPS you're playing getting off the first shot in a firefight is a massive advantage.

Connection's also a variable in it.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#52 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

play barebones mode with no killstreak rewards... problem solved. Nobody is forcing you to play modes with killstreaks.

Griffball in halo reach takes no skill, so i simply avoid that gametype.

EndlessPunisher

It's actually more fun that way, because everytime I get a overpowered killstreak I end the match with a 2.00+ K/D ratio.

What killstreaks are overpowered exactly?

Any killstreak that involves the chopper, like calling in a chopper to do your kills for you, being a gunner in a chopper, and taking full control of the chopper. I got an easy 3.00 K/D ratio the other day because I had numerous kills in the chopper. You can shoot people as soon as they spawn.:lol:

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"][QUOTE="mitu123"] It's actually more fun that way, because everytime I get a overpowered killstreak I end the match with a 2.00+ K/D ratio.

mitu123

Any killstreak that involves the chopper, like calling in a chopper to do your kills for you, being a gunner in a chopper, and taking full control of the chopper. I got an easy 3.00 K/D ratio the other day because I had numerous kills in the chopper. You can shoot people as soon as they spawn.:lol:

Not true all all. Cold blooded plus a rocket equals dead chopper in seconds. People just don't use all the abilities they have to there full potential.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"] What killstreaks are overpowered exactly?i5750at4Ghz

Not true all all. Cold blooded plus a rocket equals dead chopper in seconds. People just don't use all the abilities they have to there full potential.

There's no such thing as cold-blooded in Black Ops. Ghost Pro comes close, but they still die real quick if you know how to control the map.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Fine move around, then point and click.i5750at4Ghz

And the way the game interprets movement adds a lot of skill based elements to the game.

All deathmatch based FPS require the same skills. Good aim, solid reflexes, and basic flanking. If you can get these three things down you will dominate in every single deathmatch based FPS on the market.

I don't care what FPS you're playing getting off the first shot in a firefight is a massive advantage.

If you can't rocket jump, bunny hop, circle strafe, circle jump, etc in Quake 3, you might as well not play.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"] What killstreaks are overpowered exactly?i5750at4Ghz

And when they don't use them, I get mad easy kills.
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

What is this COD requires no skill crap? Camping requires no skill, but there is no rule that you have to camp in COD, when i play it... i dont camp.

Shake_McGee

Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.

You can kill people with 1 bullet in CS, does that mean it's not skill based?

Oh and, camping also takes skill in CS.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] It's all the same. Point and click.i5750at4Ghz

games like quake/UT and halo do require you to dodge while you are shooting... so there is an added layer of difficulty present imo.

I play every single deathmatch based FPS the same way. And dominate in them all. FPS are all one in the same. The person who has the better weapon and/or aim will win the firefight 95% of the time. You guys are acting like quake and halo are so much more complicated than COD. When they really aren't.

Well getting the better weapon usually involves things like teamwork and map control. Feel free to jump on the MLG gametype in halo reach and see how well you do. I am willing to bet cold hard cash you arent going to be dominating there.

And if you look at the people that win professional quake tournaments they usually arent the players with the best aim, they usually are the best at strategically controlling the map. You have to time all the powerup spawns, and control them all as they spawn to win.

watch this video(actual match starts around 25 minutes in)and tell me you think quake requires no skill.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mitu123

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Any killstreak that involves the chopper, like calling in a chopper to do your kills for you, being a gunner in a chopper, and taking full control of the chopper. I got an easy 3.00 K/D ratio the other day because I had numerous kills in the chopper. You can shoot people as soon as they spawn.:lol:

DarkLink77

There's no such thing as cold-blooded in Black Ops. Ghost Pro comes close, but they still die real quick if you know how to control the map.

Yeah, this is true, there is no cold-blooded in that game, and I'm a rank 25 in Black Ops as well.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="EndlessPunisher"][QUOTE="mitu123"] It's actually more fun that way, because everytime I get a overpowered killstreak I end the match with a 2.00+ K/D ratio.

mitu123

Attack Heli can be shot down before it even gets into the map, it wont shoot you either. Same goes for the gunship, you can shoot it down as soon as it spawns. You can't however shoot the chopper gun down, till they open the door. Even then a chopper gunner just makes circles around the map, not hard to avoid. Any of those killstreaks can be countered by Ghost(Pro), Same turrets, Laws, and Strelas.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.Shake_McGee

Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

Well said. So basically an already noobish game is made even more noobish with "auto-kill scoring" features XD

lol that charlie sheen quote is from the howard stern show right? nice.

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Shake_McGee
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

What is this COD requires no skill crap? Camping requires no skill, but there is no rule that you have to camp in COD, when i play it... i dont camp.

coreybg

Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.

Never played it, but if it's anything like COD then no, it's not skill based.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

games like quake/UT and halo do require you to dodge while you are shooting... so there is an added layer of difficulty present imo.

markinthedark

I play every single deathmatch based FPS the same way. And dominate in them all. FPS are all one in the same. The person who has the better weapon and/or aim will win the firefight 95% of the time. You guys are acting like quake and halo are so much more complicated than COD. When they really aren't.

Well getting the better weapon usually involves things like teamwork and map control. Feel free to jump on the MLG gametype in halo reach and see how well you do. I am willing to bet cold hard cash you arent going to be dominating there.

And if you look at the people that win professional quake tournaments they usually arent the players with the best aim, they usually are the best at strategically controlling the map.

watch this video(actual match starts around 25 minutes in)and tell me you think quake requires no skill.

I played quake 3 as well as pretty much ever major shooter on PC aside from quake 4 for many years. I know exactly the skills required to be good. But the 3 I named are major to all deathmatch based FPS.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="coreybg"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.Shake_McGee

Never played it, but if it's anything like COD then no, it's not skill based.

CS is one of the few games I've never master due to the amount of weight I put on my aiming skills alone. The wild recoil has been something I've never mastered and I've played the game almost 10 years now. I'm too use to the point and click mechanics of most games.
Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Shake_McGee

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

lazerface216

Well said. So basically an already noobish game is made even more noobish with "auto-kill scoring" features XD

I'm not sure which interview it came from. If I remember correctly Charlie was actually somewhat normal in the Howard Stern one.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

No, you can blame Piraters for Crysis 2 consolisation, and Piraters are PC gamers, so blame your kind with your fail logic

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] I play every single deathmatch based FPS the same way. And dominate in them all. FPS are all one in the same. The person who has the better weapon and/or aim will win the firefight 95% of the time. You guys are acting like quake and halo are so much more complicated than COD. When they really aren't.i5750at4Ghz

And if you look at the people that win professional quake tournaments they usually arent the players with the best aim, they usually are the best at strategically controlling the map.

I played quake 3 as well as pretty much ever major shooter on PC aside from quake 4 for many years. I know exactly the skills required to be good. But the 3 I named are major to all deathmatch based FPS.

yea but you act like getting the best weapons is just luck based. For games like Quake and Halo half the challenge is strategically trying to control those weapon/power up spawns.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#68 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Regenerating health in BF3 has not been confirmed.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Well said. So basically an already noobish game is made even more noobish with "auto-kill scoring" features XDShake_McGee

I'm not sure which interview it came from. If I remember correctly Charlie was actually somewhat normal in the Howard Stern one.

i agree, he actually kinda made sense in that interview.

JJGT500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 JJGT500
Member since 2011 • 217 Posts

No skill required for COD? Since when? Each weapon has its strengths and weakness, each strategy you make in the game can increase kills. It takes skill to learn the maps, figure out which routes are the best. Just because it does have a arcade type of feel doesn't mean it takes absolutely no skill to play.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

markinthedark

yea but you act like getting the best weapons is just luck based. For games like Quake and Halo half the challenge is strategically trying to control those weapon/power up spawns.

I never said it was luck based. I said who has the best weapon normally wins, which is truth. You read what you wanted to read.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 i5750at4Ghz

No, you can blame Piraters for Crysis 2 consolisation, and Piraters are PC gamers, so blame your kind with your fail logic

OB-47
Geohotz says hello.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

Hermits now think a game with recharging health is instantly casual?

StealthMonkey4
I'm a hermit. I don't think that. Although, I do prefer the health bar and need of grabbing medkits and such. Regen health is kind of convenient because i don't have to look for a health kid with 1hp left on my only save file, and the medkit is behind 15-30 enemy dudes... I'd be screwed. Or i can just wait 5 seconds, dust the enemies and move on. Works for me haha.
Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shake_McGee

No skill required for COD? Since when? Each weapon has its strengths and weakness, each strategy you make in the game can increase kills. It takes skill to learn the maps, figure out which routes are the best. Just because it does have a arcade type of feel doesn't mean it takes absolutely no skill to play.

JJGT500
Well maybe saying "absolutely no skill" was a bit harsh. But really, the actual skill requirement doesn't go far beyond needing a decent aim, quick trigger finger, and a general awareness of your surroundings. So basically, as long as you're not a zombie, you should do fine!
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] I played quake 3 as well as pretty much ever major shooter on PC aside from quake 4 for many years. I know exactly the skills required to be good. But the 3 I named are major to all deathmatch based FPS. i5750at4Ghz

I never said it was luck based. I said who has the best weapon normally wins, which is truth. You read what you wanted to read.

well thats not even really true... in that quake video they usually cycle between 4 different weapons. There is no "best" weapon. And in Reach the power weapons have limited ammunition. Even the player that gets the power weapon still mostly relies on his DMR... and whether or not a power weapon is best, is situational.

but every game can be made to sound stupid by over simplification.

Examples:

whoever makes the most units and controls them better in starcraft wins 95% of the time, takes no skill.

Whoever moves their pieces better in chess wins 95% of the time, takes no skill.

When in reality, these tasks are incredibly complex and very difficult to achieve.

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shake_McGee
mark, did you just try to suggest that COD is on the level of Starcraft and Chess :/
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

Battlefield 3 now has heal over time, get shot and the screen turns red. Coming from BF2 which was a PC exclusive with a heath bar.

sillaris

Regenerating health is thanks to Halo 2 NOT CoD.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 markinthedark

mark, did you just try to suggest that COD is on the level of Starcraft and Chess :/Shake_McGee

we were actually discussing quake and halo at this point.... and a game like quake when played at the professional level does require the same level of motor skills and mental strategy as starcraft.... chess is obviously more mental and less physical.

My point was just that everything can be made to sound simple, even if its ridiculously complex.

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Shake_McGee

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"]mark, did you just try to suggest that COD is on the level of Starcraft and Chess :/markinthedark

we were actually discussing quake and halo at this point.... and a game like quake when played at the professional level does require the same level of motor skills and mental strategy as starcraft.... chess is obviously more mental and less physical.

Well in that case I'm inclined to agree with you. But the possibilities in Chess are almost limitless, and go far beyond that of any video game... 'cept for video games about Chess XD
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"]mark, did you just try to suggest that COD is on the level of Starcraft and Chess :/Shake_McGee

Well in that case I'm inclined to agree with you. But the possibilities in Chess are almost limitless, and go far beyond that of any video game... 'cept for video games about Chess XD

well thats the nature of the beast when something requires multiple skills.... there is less specialization required. In chess boxing (which is real)... they probably arent the best boxers, or the best chess players. But they are the best boxers at chess, and the best chess players at boxing.

Those korean SC players probably arent the most brilliant strategists, but they are the most brilliant strategists that can move their hands at lightning speed.

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts
[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

Shake_McGee

so skill based is shooting someone in the chest 10 times? on COD? :lol: i have way more fun in ARMA or the old rainbow 6/ghost recon games for the fact people die in under 3 shots
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

i5750at4Ghz

Geohotz says hello.

I don't see how that has any relevance. Crytek said they are moving to consoles because the market is much bigger, less piration etc. It is the piratars of Crysis 1 who made Crytek choose to have Crysis 2 on consoles.

I am a Pc gamer, and the point I made was using the same logic as the TC. I do not actually believe we should blame PC gamers, I am just showing how poor it is to blame COD.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

COD is a good FPS

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Those games never claimed to be realistic. And they DO take more skill. Anyone who thinks Call of Duty takes more skill than something like Quake is out of their damn mind.markinthedark

It's all the same. Point and click.

another big thing is that in quake/ut you dont spawn with your fav weapon. you have to find the nearest weapon and hope you know how to use it. to be a good arena shooter player you have to master all the weaps. in cod you just need to master one weap

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
If anything is killing gaming its the CoD franchise and Activision.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

COD made popular several good things, like customisable clas ses/pickable weapons.

I ****** hate weapon map spawns.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

StealthMonkey4

I can see why he would think Call of Duty caused it. Personally, I like non-recharging health more.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 markinthedark

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

TSNAKE617

I can see why he would think Call of Duty caused it. Personally, I like non-recharging health more.

I dont... nobody likes getting killed by a noob just because they are low on health. I think it helps keep things more even when you enter a shootout and both players are full on health. Means you actually have to be able to outshoot your opponent to win.

Single player is another story i suppose. But frankly nothing sucks more than getting to the last fight of a level and realizing you had low health when you hit that last checkpoint and there are no health packs around so you cant win.... and you gotta restart the entire level.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
hate when people blame the WHOLE franchise... firstly the first cod + UO are godly.. and better then the majority of fps that come out these days. secondly.. blame other company developers for thinking the cod formula is the key to success.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

There is nothing really wrong with the Call of Duty franchise except for the fact that it stopped evolving after the first part (I don't consider different settings to be progress), that it's compating with sports games by the rate new ones are comming out, that it's basically the same thing over and over again just in a bit different dress and that it's praised and sold far too much.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="TSNAKE617"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

markinthedark

I dont... nobody likes getting killed by a noob just because they are low on health. I think it helps keep things more even when you enter a shootout and both players are full on health. Means you actually have to be able to outshoot your opponent to win.

Single player is another story i suppose. But frankly nothing sucks more than getting to the last fight of a level and realizing you had low health when you hit that last checkpoint and there are no health packs around so you cant win.... and you gotta restart the entire level.

only problem with recharging health is that it promotes camping

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

COD is awful, but as long as those players stay away from BF3 I'm OK with that.

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts
I wouldn't say so, it was one of the games that got me addicted to FPS's and it was the game that made me build a gaming pc.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="TSNAKE617"]

Cranler

only problem with recharging health is that it promotes camping

Ahh, didnt think of that. I mostly only play reach which has recharging shields and very little camping. When it takes several hits to kill someone you cant sit in one place and kill people. As they will run behind something and recharge.