The Call Of Duty franchise ruined good FPS

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

Casuals win again. When have a game like blackops that involes no skills, its just a arcade shooter that a kid and his mom can play, of course its going to sell tons. This is why games (FPS) are being ruined. All devs care about is how many people of age 1-100 can play this game.

Crysis > crysis 2 ( features were taken out, less suit modes, to complicated for the casuals )

Battlefield 3 now has heal over time, get shot and the screen turns red. Coming from BF2 which was a PC exclusive with a heath bar.

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts
It alos killed original topics on Gamespot. Good greif. Another CoD thread...
djohnstonXCII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 djohnstonXCII
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

Of course devs care about how many people can play their game, more people = more sales. Developers are not just mindless drones, they have families that they need to feed and lives to live so they need to do whatever they can to make good money to achieve that. And before you say stuff like developers make a crap load of cash like those who work on Call of Duty, the low level employees like the basic programmers do not make the millions of dollars. What you probably over look is that developers are most likely trying to achieve this goal AND trying to cater to the ones who made their game popular, it is probably just very difficult so some compromises must be made

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="sillaris"]

Battlefield 3 now has heal over time, get shot and the screen turns red. Coming from BF2 which was a PC exclusive with a heath bar.

God, really? Is this even worth complaining about? That's how FPS games are, if you don't like it quit playing them or go play the old "great" ones.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Hermits now think a game with recharging health is instantly casual?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

StealthMonkey4
sillaris =/= hermits ;)
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StealthMonkey4

It alos killed original topics on Gamespot. Good greif. Another CoD thread...w4rrior17

I agree, the game came out months ago, give it a damn break...

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

How are suit modes too complicated in Crysis? lol.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

its the devs fault for deciding to copy what cod did. It is in no way activisions fault that so many fps use the cod formula.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#10 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Halo: Reach has a health bar and that's console exclusive! :o

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

millerlight89

sillaris =/= hermits ;)

I meant the elitist hermits who are constantly complaining about everything.

sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts

Of course devs care about how many people can play their game, more people = more sales. Developers are not just mindless drones, they have families that they need to feed and lives to live so they need to do whatever they can to make good money to achieve that. And before you say stuff like developers make a crap load of cash like those who work on Call of Duty, the low level employees like the basic programmers do not make the millions of dollars. What you probably over look is that developers are most likely trying to achieve this goal AND trying to cater to the ones who made their game popular, it is probably just very difficult so some compromises must be

djohnstonXCII

They had the same families to feed 10years ago, do think the dev team gets a pay raise every year? No. The graphic artist probably gets a pat on the back and "good job".

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shake_McGee
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts
I tend to agree. COD is fine for what it is (just plain "no skill required" fun), but I don't wanna see more skill based FPS games employing it's noobish inventions like kill streaks.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I don't really like COD but if COD ruined all the good FPS games then the others devs (well publishers really) must really suck or have their priorities messed up.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Phrase for Call of Duty infecting other shooters: CallODized.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

What is this COD requires no skill crap? Camping requires no skill, but there is no rule that you have to camp in COD, when i play it... i dont camp.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.AAllxxjjnn
well i thought it was fun :( power struggle was very intense at times
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthMonkey4

What is this COD requires no skill crap? Camping requires no skill, but there is no rule that you have to camp in COD, when i play it... i dont camp.

markinthedark

I agree, CoD does require skill, that's why people are better than others, Im sure the people saying "CoD requires no skill" are just terrible at it. It's not even mathematically possible for it to be so easy, for every kill you get, someone else gets a death.

naruske101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 naruske101
Member since 2007 • 1062 Posts

has TC everplayed BC2 the health is probablly going to be similar. It's regenerating but takes foreverrrrrr to regenerate, tht's why there's medics

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.AAllxxjjnn
At least it wasn't just another Call of Duty clone.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.DarkLink77

I know you hate COD but I really am not understanding of everyone's beef with it. they made a popular game, its not their fault everyone is copying them. Eventually you have to point the blame to those producing the content and not those who made it popular. If I made an insanely popular game am I to blane for other people blatantly copying me?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.DarkLink77

The only mechanics it shares with CoD are killstreaks and perks. If you think that's what defines the game, then you haven't really played much of it. It plays completely different.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]Because the MP of Crysis was just so outstandingly popular and well done.ActicEdge

I know you hate COD but I really am not understanding of everyone's beef with it. they made a popular game, its not their fault everyone is copying them. Eventually you have to point the blame to those producing the content and not those who made it popular. If I made an insanely popular game am I to blane for other people blatantly copying me?

I don't blame IW or Treyarch for making popular games. I blame Crytek for being sellouts.
Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shake_McGee

markinthedark
Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Halo started it. CoD finished it. It's the end of the world.:shock:

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77

glez13

The difference being Halo is actually, y'know... good. PC shooters could still be PC shooters when Halo was the biggest thing around.

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shake_McGee

[QUOTE="glez13"]

DarkLink77

The difference being Halo is actually, y'know... good. PC shooters could still be PC shooters when Halo was the biggest thing around.

That and Halo actually requires, y'know... skill!
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with Crytek taking and improving things from some of the more popular FPS on the market. Makes sense in fact.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

Shake_McGee

Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.

Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
There are plenty of other genres, if you don't like FPS anymore. Luckily no one is forcing you to play a game you don't want to.
Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shake_McGee

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

mitu123

Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

Well said. So basically an already noobish game is made even more noobish with "auto-kill scoring" features XD
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

Shake_McGee

I agree to a certain extent. But quick reflexes and situational awareness are indeed skills.

And if COD doesnt require it im not sure what fps games these people think do require skill. Only FPS games that i think take more skill are older ones like Quake/UT and Halo to a lesser extent.

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

mitu123

Yeah because "realistic" = running around in circles and jumping while firing upwards of 10 shots into someone's body. Yeah thats realistic....:roll:

I cannot count the amount of times someone has seen me first and start shooting yet I get the kill because I have more.....skill.....than they do.

Two people with Strelas will take out any air support within seconds.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.Console_Gamer93

Yeah because "realistic" = running around in circles and jumping while firing upwards of 10 shots into someone's body. Yeah thats realistic....:roll:

I cannot count the amount of times someone has seen me yet I get the kill because I have more.....skill.....than they do.

Those games never claimed to be realistic. And they DO take more skill. Anyone who thinks Call of Duty takes more skill than something like Quake is out of their damn mind.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts

mitu123

Just because you aim faster at someone doesn't mean you're going to hit them, there's recoil on guns. I don't understand what people have against the chopper. You can counter that in different ways.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markinthedark

mitu123

play barebones mode with no killstreak rewards... problem solved. Nobody is forcing you to play modes with killstreaks.

Griffball in halo reach takes no skill, so i simply avoid that gametype.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i5750at4Ghz
[QUOTE="Console_Gamer93"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

DarkLink77

I cannot count the amount of times someone has seen me yet I get the kill because I have more.....skill.....than they do.

Those games never claimed to be realistic. And they DO take more skill. Anyone who thinks Call of Duty takes more skill than something like Quake is out of their damn mind.

It's all the same. Point and click.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

No they didnt, the people that buy them did.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Console_Gamer93"]

i5750at4Ghz

Maybe if all you had to do was stand still.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.Console_Gamer93

I cannot count the amount of times someone has seen me first and start shooting yet I get the kill because I have more.....skill.....than they do.

Those games aren't trying to be realistic. Are you talking about Halo? Who plays Halo for realism?

BTW, there's SWAT if you want to kill faster.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Those games never claimed to be realistic. And they DO take more skill. Anyone who thinks Call of Duty takes more skill than something like Quake is out of their damn mind.DarkLink77

Fine move around, then point and click.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markinthedark

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Console_Gamer93"]

i5750at4Ghz

games like quake/UT and halo do require you to dodge while you are shooting... so there is an added layer of difficulty present imo.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.markinthedark

play barebones mode with no killstreak rewards... problem solved. Nobody is forcing you to play modes with killstreaks.

It's actually more fun that way, because everytime I get a overpowered killstreak I end the match with a 2.00+ K/D ratio.

Shake_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shake_McGee

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Shake_McGee"] Please. Any "realistic" shooter where you can kill somebody with 3-4 bullets is NOT skill based. It simply becomes a game of who sees who first. It can be fun, but there is absolutely no skill required other than a fast twitchy finger.markinthedark

Yeah, but Griffball is a very small part of Halo. You're asking us to ignore 90% of Black Ops :roll:

And even in barebones, it's still rather noobish.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Those games never claimed to be realistic. And they DO take more skill. Anyone who thinks Call of Duty takes more skill than something like Quake is out of their damn mind.markinthedark

games like quake/UT and halo do require you to dodge while you are shooting... so there is an added layer of difficulty present imo.

I play every single deathmatch based FPS the same way. And dominate in them all. FPS are all one in the same. The person who has the better weapon and/or aim will win the firefight 95% of the time. You guys are acting like quake and halo are so much more complicated than COD. When they really aren't.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] It's all the same. Point and click.i5750at4Ghz

And the way the game interprets movement adds a lot of skill based elements to the game.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Killstreaks make it worse, any killstreak that involves the chopper will get you easy kills.

mitu123

It's actually more fun that way, because everytime I get a overpowered killstreak I end the match with a 2.00+ K/D ratio.

What killstreaks are overpowered exactly?
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

And the way the game interprets movement adds a lot of skill based elements to the game.

All deathmatch based FPS require the same skills. Good aim, solid reflexes, and basic flanking. If you can get these three things down you will dominate in every single deathmatch based FPS on the market.

I don't care what FPS you're playing getting off the first shot in a firefight is a massive advantage.