Terra Invicta is a new game from XCOM: Long War mod creators. Update : XCOM 2: Independence Day Trailer.

Tayh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tayh
Member since 2015 • 77 Posts

After three years of development, the final version of a huge modification to XCOM: Enemy Unknown with Enemy Within expansion appeared few days ago. You may have heard of the Long War, a highly acclaimed mod that expands the original campaign with lots of new missions, gear, and even voiceovers. The mod was praised by game media and approved by Firaxis Games, who said about their game “We're basically a 20-hour tutorial for Long War, and that's okay.” Of course, it’s all free. You can grab it here.

Interestingly though, the same team is now working on a grand strategy entitled Terra Invicta, as announced on their website. The information is scarce yet, but we know it will be humans vs. aliens once more. The official word states:

”An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth's defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth's squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.”

Terra Invicta is currently in pre-Kickstarter development, which means sooner or later it will see a crowdfunding campaign. We’ll have more details about the game then.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I was hoping we had some news on the game now.

Only a thread announcing it. :(

Oh well, these are the guys who made a bad game like NuXCOM become great.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

Despite being challenging, I have had a blast with Long War. If Long War showcases what these people can do by reverse-engineering another game, I am really excited to see what kind of games they can put out using proper game development tools.

For anyone that is interested in a very fun tactical experience, do yourself a favor and check out Long War, a free mod for XCOM: Enemy Within (which is on sale right now and well worth the price!). In my opinion, Long War is what the latest XCOM iteration should have been. Check out this short video showing off what Long War is.Check out the top mods on XCOM NexusMods. Nearly all of them say "for Long War", because even the modders don't bother to play the original XCOM and instead play Long War. Version 1.0 was just released in the last few days, but I've sunk hundreds of hours into the pre-1.0 versions and loved every minute of it. If you haven't played in a while, give the newest release (1.0 in the last day!) a try, they've balanced out a few more things. Learn some good research paths (or just look them up), learn some good character class builds (ditto), and apply them. Jake Solomon is the Lead Designer of XCOM, and he has had these two things to say about Long War: "(Long War) takes XCOM to a new level", and "(XCOM is) basically a 20-hour tutorial for Long War, and that's OK". Long War adds such depth to XCOM that it makes the original game feel like a child's game, and is the only game that still makes me audibly yell "YES" and pump my arms in excitement on a regular basis. The game isn't meant to be easy, it is meant to challenge you, and it does that very well. Give it another go and ask yourself "what is a victory, and why should I expect that here", and you may find yourself enjoying the war.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

At this point i just need Xcom2 in me. Since i lost my saves for Xcom, fk it can't play it anymore

Tayh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tayh

@kozio: PC Gamer ranked Long War as one of the "15 most brutal mods of all time" for a reason. Like other mods on that list (I'm looking at you Misery) you have to play smarter. Long War challenges you and does not expect you to win every battle. I agree that the difficulty may seem high, and it is not uncommon to make some .ini tweaks in Long War to make the game more enjoyable, like increasing the defensive bonus of cover. However, with that difficulty comes a great sense of achievement when you accomplish your objectives.

Tayh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tayh
Loading Video...

This is pretty cool. I really enjoyed Independence Day and when XCOM came out I thought they nailed the atmosphere and impending doom of the film, which I loved. Looking forward to when this comes out!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

At least on impossible/ironman the long war difficulty is much better than vanilla where only the start of the game is "hard" and it gets a bit too easy in the end.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Great trailer. Someone should make hype thread for XCom 2.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

IT was good but it had no game play in it, which seems odd for you to comment like that. :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

IT was good but it had no game play in it, which seems odd for you to comment like that. :P

How?