SYSTEM WARS MONTHLY (February 2008) (Interview with Kevin_V, and more!)

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Intro - Willy105[spoiler] Hello System Wars! I am Willy105. This is a very special issue of System Wars Monthly, as we have an exclusive interview with Gamespot's own Kevin_V! We also look back at the games that have gotten AAA status in the first month of 2008! We have new installments of everyone's favorite columns, Tsug_Ze_Wind's Weather Report and TheEndBoss on the Industry! We look over the candidates for the 2008 United States presidential election and see which one is best for your gamers. And we have the results on Iron Shop 08! Who won? Keep reading and find out! It was a VERY close race! You kill 'em we grill 'em! This....is.....SYSTEM WARS MONTHLY!!!!!!!! [/spoiler] System Wars Special Report with Tsug_Ze_Wind - Tsug_Ze_Wind[spoiler]  [/spoiler] TheEndBoss on the Industry Column - TheEndBoss[spoiler]  [/spoiler] The Peak of the Modern Adventure Game - Willy105[spoiler]  [/spoiler] A Polished Crash - Willy105[spoiler]  [/spoiler] Your Life...See it Disappear Before your Very Eyes - Willy105[spoiler]  [/spoiler] What There Should Most Defenetaly Be More Of - Willy105[spoiler]  [/spoiler] Election 2008: Which Electoral Candidate Really Pushes Gamers' Buttons? - rocktimusprime[spoiler]  [/spoiler] Rising to the Debate - jethrovegas[spoiler]  00100000 [/spoiler] Prince of Persia: Ghosts of the Past - penguino726[spoiler]  [/spoiler] Interview with Kevin_V - Kccp2b [spoiler]  [/spoiler] PC: Is it Dying? - greyhound222[spoiler]  [/spoiler] Iron Shop '08 Contest Results - Tsug_Ze_Wind[spoiler]  [/spoiler] System Wars Roundtable Discussion - rocktimusprime[spoiler]  [/spoiler]  .

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
You got an interview with Kevin-V? Sweet :D
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
i will say this again i fi had the funds i would publish you..SW monthly is very unique
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
I like Jethrovegas article the most here. It is practically true about how as gamers we take these issues too seriously.
mulac2910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mulac2910
Member since 2004 • 826 Posts
Being looking forward to this!
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Last time I checked SSBB was hyped AA.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Willy105

Last time I checked SSBB was hyped AA.Shinobishyguy

Yes.

TheEndBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 TheEndBoss
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
Great job, guys.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Last time I checked SSBB was hyped AA.Shinobishyguy

If it gets AA...do you really think anyone will truly consider the hype met? Aside from a few of our damage-controlling kin? ;)

Either way, SW will get a huge reaction with A, AA, AAAA....this is the game to decide everything on the sheep side.

And hopefully I'll be around to report it next month. :(

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Willy105

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Last time I checked SSBB was hyped AA.Tsug_Ze_Wind

If it gets AA...do you really think anyone will truly consider the hype met? Aside from a few of our damage-controlling kin? ;)

Either way, SW will get a huge reaction with A, AA, AAAA....this is the game to decide everything on the sheep side.

You'll be around.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shinobishyguy

considering GS's history with the SSBB series I'd say yes. Honestly....did GS's review of SSBM diminish the quality of SSBM? Chances are it'll probablly get AAA everywhere else. Plus it depends on the reviewer.
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts
Great SWM guys!
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

There is a pervasive feeling throughout the sections relating to PC (SOASE and "Is PC Gaming Dying") that the writers do not have experience with the game or platform personally. Once again, I hate to fault something you put effort into, but those pieces could have used an "expert".

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tsug_Ze_Wind

You'll be around.

Willy105

Yeah, I'll still be able to report for SW Monthly if I lose, at least one more time.

considering GS's history with the SSBB series I'd say yes. Honestly....did GS's review of SSBM diminish the quality of SSBM? Chances are it'll probablly get AAA everywhere else. Plus it depends on the reviewer.Shinobishyguy

Well yeah, but in the SW sense, there's no way we'll be let off the hook with just "hype AA, discussion end." In some ways, you could consider it the flop of the millenia because like TP, it would just go on and on and on, and the official hype would fuel the fire.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
I like Jethrovegas article the most here. It is practically true about how as gamers we take these issues too seriously.FireEmblem_Man
yeah that article really got to me.....its not my fault i act like that on the internet!:x
penguino726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 penguino726
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts
job well done as always guys ;)
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Very nice job. Love the interview with Kevin_V. And :cry: you didn't win Ironshop! Very close though.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Another great issue. Really loved the artwork especially. :lol:
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Nice! You should do more interviews with reviewers.

(Jeff G?)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

you'll be around...even if GS is that cruel to give it AA, i don't see you honoring your bet for very long, you'll find a loophole ;)

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
great interview guys. ;D
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Willy105

(Jeff G?)

II-FBIsniper-II
Wishful thinking.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts

There is a pervasive feeling throughout the sections relating to PC (SOASE and "Is PC Gaming Dying") that the writers do not have experience with the game or platform personally. Once again, I hate to fault something you put effort into, but those pieces could have used an "expert".

subrosian
Well,I game mainly on PC,but if my article came off as slightly ill-informed,I'm sorry.I only finished it a couple of hours before the deadline. I also do own WoW and The Sims 2,but I got sick of buying expansion packs so I stopped playing TS2.I don't have The Burning Crusade yet,but I'm not really interested in buying it as WoW is full of content.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tsug_Ze_Wind
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Last time I checked SSBB was hyped AA.darkspineslayer

you'll be around...even if GS is that cruel to give it AA, i don't see you honoring your bet for very long, you'll find a loophole ;)

:o Harsh. :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shinobishyguy

and I don't see SBBB being as big as TP if it flops. TP was hyped AAA boarder-lining AAAA. The official hype and the mental hype was set in stone and no one saw that 8.8 coming. But with SSBB, most of the sheep realize that it could go either way.

I say it's a 50/50% split on it either getting 8.5 or 9.0. No higher and no lower than those scores.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Great job. I'm just wondering how you approach the editor reviews? Do you guys come up with all the questions on your own (ie the interviewer/SW Monthly crew) or do you have some sort of suggestion thread? I'm wondering because have a couple of questions that I would have loved to have Kevin answer (like why won't he return my calls? :cry: ).

For example I would love to have seen a follow-up question to Kevin's remarks about the "brevity" of GS's reviews, not only because it gives the impression GS is becoming more business oriented (ie trying to maximize the number of viewers) but because I've felt that the quality of GS reviews has slipped since they introduced the new format. They've been contradictory, they've featured blatant inaccuracies and they simply don't get give me a good feel for the game like they did in the past. Maybe I'm just more cynical after the Jeff incident, but it really seems like the quality has dropped considerably.

So next time perhaps you could post a question suggestion thread in SW and have Cake/Casey/Mac sticky it for a day or two? Keep up the great work!

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

I think the magazine is great and i always look forward to reading it. I think everybody behind the magazine did a great job and i was surprised that you got an in interview with a GS reviewer.

Anyway, great job guys, keep it up :D

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Great job, love the interviews! It shows a different side of the staff here at GS. Keep up the good work. :)
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

A GS reviewer? System Wars Monthly has reached the big time.:o

Nice work by the way.

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Great issue as usual. I totally agree with the article on the perception of gamers. If we want to fight the media, we need to do it intelligently. The usual level of maturity found on the internet is definitely not going to help in the media's perception of us.
Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Great issue!
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
Willy man nice job, and to everyone else. Sorry I didn't do much this issue... if I didn't get sick I would have added some stuff. But sweet job guys.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Willy105
Willy man nice job, and to everyone else. Sorry I didn't do much this issue... if I didn't get sick I would have added some stuff. But sweet job guys.kcpp2b
Chillax. I'm sick too.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Willy105
Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kcpp2b
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]

(Jeff G?)

Willy105

Wishful thinking.

Not impossible though...

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts

Great job. I'm just wondering how you approach the editor reviews? Do you guys come up with all the questions on your own (ie the interviewer/SW Monthly crew) or do you have some sort of suggestion thread? I'm wondering because have a couple of questions that I would have loved to have Kevin answer (like why won't he return my calls? :cry: ).

For example I would love to have seen a follow-up question to Kevin's remarks about the "brevity" of GS's reviews, not only because it gives the impression GS is becoming more business oriented (ie trying to maximize the number of viewers) but because I've felt that the quality of GS reviews has slipped since they introduced the new format. They've been contradictory, they've featured blatant inaccuracies and they simply don't get give me a good feel for the game like they did in the past. Maybe I'm just more cynical after the Jeff incident, but it really seems like the quality has dropped considerably.

So next time perhaps you could post a question suggestion thread in SW and have Cake/Casey/Mac sticky it for a day or two? Keep up the great work!

PBSnipes

KC asked Kevin V if he would do the interview. He accepted and we all came up with questions that we wanted answered. KC sent them and bam, interview, it was really cool and much props to KC.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?

Yes. In question #3 of the interview, he said he is tired of button-mashing games, but in #4, he praises No More Heroes because of the perfect blend of button mashing and waggle, and wants to see more games like it. Huh!?!
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

i didnt even know there was a new PoP game until the article in this thread.

Honestly, the PoP storyline confuses me. It is the only game where i sat down after finishing and went "my brain hurts". then i took a few to go over the plotlines and i realized it all makes sense and i LOVEEEEE the ending to PoP 3.

the the thing is, PoP3 is technically a prequel to Sands of time. because the end of Two thrones is actually the beginning of SoT :lol: if Ghosts of the past is a prequel to SoT, that would mean its takes place before the prince ever breaks the Hourglass of time, or any of that jazz.

How could there be a PoP game with no time-powers? logically, the prince shouldnt have the dagger of time and such in a prequel, so this could get confusing -_-

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

[QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?Willy105
Yes. In question #3 of the interview, he said he is tired of button-mashing games, but in #4, he praises No More Heroes because of the perfect blend of button mashing and waggle, and wants to see more games like it. Huh!?!

I didn't say that regarding inaccuracies anywhere in that interview, nor did I say it wasn't possible. What words in the interview are you using to jump to that completely unreleated conlusion?

Also, I specifically mention timed button-mashing minigames that are ripped off from God of War and Resident Evil 4. That's a lot different from general "button mashing." I suppose if you stretched the limits of reason you could draw a parallel between timed remote swings in No More Heroes and timed button presses a la God of War, but the implementation of the mechanic is far different than timed-button ripoffs like those in Jericho or Silent Hill Origins. I assumed it was clear to the average System Wars reader that there is a difference between button-mashing combat and a God of War-style button pressing minigame. Perhaps I overestimated?

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kcpp2b

Hey Kevin, thanks again for the interview.

What do you think of this month's issue?

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
Conspiricy Theories = awesome 8)
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rocktimusprime

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?Kevin-V

I didn't say that regarding inaccuracies anywhere in that interview, nor did I say it wasn't possible. What words in the interview are you using to jump to that completely unreleated conlusion?

Also, I specifically mention timed button-mashing minigames that are ripped off from God of War and Resident Evil 4. That's a lot different from general "button mashing." I suppose if you stretched the limits of reason you could draw a parallel between timed remote swings in No More Heroes and timed button presses a la God of War, but the implementation of the mechanic is far different than timed-button ripoffs like those in Jericho or Silent Hill Origins. I assumed it was clear to the average System Wars reader that there is a difference between button-mashing combat and a God of War-style button pressing minigame. Perhaps I overestimated?

way to go willy youve gone and pissed Kevin V off, you should be ashamed.

TheEndBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheEndBoss
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?rocktimusprime

Seriously, Willy. He was nice enough to give us an interview, and you go and slam him for something he said?

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
Great issue. I especially enjoyed the interview with Kevin V.
SpaceMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpaceMatt
Member since 2003 • 3588 Posts
Yet another fantastic issue Willy, keep up the great work!
Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"][QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?TheEndBoss

Seriously, Willy. He was nice enough to give us an interview, and you go and slam him for something he said?

Not cool man this your character is truly in question here willy...

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rocktimusprime
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"][QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Kevin_V said there are no innacuracies in his reviews. Anybody agree?Jacboy71

Not cool man this your character is truly in question here willy...

i just find it funny lol, he's not a bad guy. poor kevin v, there always casualties among the e-bullets of SW, unfourtunately Kevin V got hit...

again

like he did when DMC came out

and when LO came out

and when NMH came out...

guy has 4 purple hearts.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

Oh, ths issue is great, thanks for asking!

And I'm not pissed off. I fully expect that I will be attacked until the end of time when I don't give every game the exact score every single person on earth expects (doing so will involve writing an individual review for each living person, and I'm too busy watching Daft Punk videos for that). I'm genuinely curious whether I was being unclear, though I think there is an obvious difference between a button-pressing minigame (in which you have to press particular buttons in a particular sequence within a specific time period, as in God of War and Resident Evil 4), and standard button-based combat (in which combinations of button presses result in various attacks and combos).

I'm also curious if there's a bit in invisible ink that I can't see up there about thinking I don't make mistakes (and I have, and I know, trust me).