System Wars lounge V 87: The Immersive old school sim Masterpiece Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1751 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

the minute i hit the reply button i knew i was going to regret that post lol.

ghost don't let me hog the floor mate, ima let you step in here and tell him what's what

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1752  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Fun fact: E.T. is a plant

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1753  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56232 Posts

Didn't notice until now they said "shit" in Star Wars Andor and I always thought it was none existed in the Star wars lexicon. If they somehow drop a few F-bombs, I'll be very impressed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1754 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

@jaydan: They also canonically exist in the Starwars universe.

Gonna watch this me thinks, looks like high quality cinema. It will at least be more fun than Andor.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1755  Edited By jaydan

@uninspiredcup: E.T. being a sentient plant is quite intriguing, never considered that before today, definitely changes up E.T.'s background a bit.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1756 Macutchi

@uninspiredcup:

i've read your post a few times and even though you say you strenuously disagree, and your star wars knowledge far exceeds mine, it does actually sound like we're on the same page for a lot of it. feels like the point of contention is mainly the mando scene

But beyond that the difference between ROTJ and Mando, Mando basically equates it to doing cool wizard tricks and sword swings. An action scene. It's like the Vader hallway scene, razzle dazzle.

and you feel that scene was out of character and maybe just empty fan service. and i dont really get why.

you've said luke was already beating vader in rotj. so several years after that, why couldn't he be powerful enough to slice through those robots with his light saber, and push a few around with the force? it wasn't over the top, ridiculous or nonsensical. the timeline fit. his sabre handling and general calm and composed style still fit with his character established in previous films.

obviously lightsabre fights have evolved since 1977 but that's not a bad thing. the obi wan series went well too far with the force powers turning him and vader into super heroes, i can understand if that was your issue. but the mando and rogue one vader scene weren't like that.

Wanna say it's a cool ass fight-scene, sure? Mad saber skills. But beyond that, don't think much going on. Shows up as a get out of jail pass while the main cast of characters stand around the bridge not doing much.

but what's wrong with that? you've said earlier star wars is designed for children. the end of a season finale and a hopeless situation rescued by a hero. sometimes that simplicity is enough. if someone else had rocked up instead of luke would that not be a get out of jail pass too? i dont really understand where youre coming from here dude. what else do you need from that scene to make it work for you?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1757 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi: I don't think the scene was out of character, My main point of contention is that I felt not much was going on and as a final, amounted to me as nothing more than dangling shiny-keys. And then shortly after they seem to have effectively cancelled it out.

It's better depiction of Luke than The Sequels for the most part. It made grown ass men cry because the character is basically a hero to them they grew up watching. I get that. But I put that down to more The Sequels terrible depiction propping him up, than anything of substance being shown.

Just left me very cold. Was expecting it, and it happened. Then he left. Wasn't context around it or anything to make it interesting for me.

And yea, absolutely designed for children the franchise is (or was lol), But it at the same time, so's this. Look at the dialogue and themes here both pre and mid battle. It doesn't treat children like idiots.

Loading Video...

In fact, that has a hallway scene of it's own, but that's not the climax, that's about mid-arc. Same premise as Vader and Luke, but the whole thing has more going on wrapped around it and acts as a "wowowowo weweewewe" action scene amongst it.

Loading Video...

Guess found it to be more fan-servicy than something interesting. Nothing wrong with that at all, Clone Wars has that as well. But I feel that was the sole selling point and what the story was driving towards, a key jangle.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1758 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts

@davillain said:

Didn't notice until now they said "shit" in Star Wars Andor and I always thought it was none existed in the Star wars lexicon. If they somehow drop a few F-bombs, I'll be very impressed.

Next will be alien titties. Might give it a go then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1759  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jaydan: Always found the design of ET kinda weird. He looks like a turd with eyes and limbs.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1760  Edited By Macutchi

@uninspiredcup: gotcha. and i get it. there's a degree of the mandalorian's standalone episodic format sort of plays to that lack of context and build up, with it's minimal plot thread style that only loosely ties each episode together and gives it license to get away with things like the luke scene.

i guess i just enjoyed luke's appearance for what it was. i didn't expect it. if it was the result of some elaborate plot climax developed throughout the season it would 100% hit harder. difference with me and you is you have the clone wars as your benchmark. youve seen what good looks like, so can understand your cynicism for things like this. i dont have that, im a johnny come lately to clone wars, i mainly just have a lot of varying degrees of bang average disney efforts to compare to, and in amongst that load of mostly mediocrity the mandalorian was a relatively rare high point. the book of boba fett was so unmemorable apart from being dire i can't even remember how it nullified the mando ending. and disappointingly andor seems to be carrying on the tradition . ep4 got a lot of making up to do

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1761 jaydan

@uninspiredcup said:

@jaydan: Always found the design of ET kinda weird. He looks like a turd with eyes and limbs.

E.T. no take kindly to slander.

I mean, yeah, he looks weird: he looks alien to me. Which is a greater design than your usual generic humanoid, green and bug-eyed creature that's derivative everywhere you see aliens.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1762 uninspiredcup

Forgot Mac And Me existed.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1763 uninspiredcup
@Macutchi said:

@uninspiredcup: gotcha. and i get it. there's a degree of the mandalorian's standalone episodic format sort of plays to that lack of context and build up, with it's minimal plot thread style that only loosely ties each episode together and gives it license to get away with things like the luke scene.

i guess i just enjoyed luke's appearance for what it was. i didn't expect it. if it was the result of some elaborate plot climax developed throughout the season it would 100% hit harder. difference with me and you is you have the clone wars as your benchmark. youve seen what good looks like, so can understand your cynicism for things like this. i dont have that, im a johnny come lately to clone wars, i mainly just have a lot of varying degrees of bang average disney efforts to compare to, and in amongst that load of mostly mediocrity the mandalorian was a relatively rare high point. the book of boba fett was so unmemorable apart from being dire i can't even remember how it nullified the mando ending. and disappointingly andor seems to be carrying on the tradition . ep4 got a lot of making up to do

Mean yea, not trying to be an elitist dick or anything, but did watch it immediately off the back of the Clone Wars final. So would be a hard sell regardless on this end.

To be clear, don't hate Mandalorian, it's leagues better than all that guff they farted out and currently fart out "wow Starwars mature!WOWOOWOWOWOWWOOWOW"

Think we spoke about it a while yonks back when they originally showed it, personally thought it would have been more interesting if it was a Dark Jedi or Sith that showed up and they thought it was a Jedi.

Mace Windu survives, realizes the Jedi fucked up with a half cooked face and decides to start his new order that is essentially Sith 2.0.

Wouldn't have a problem bringing Samuel L Jackson back. I mean, Anakin got cut up and cooked, Darth Maul got cut in half, and SOMEHOW Palpatine returned, so him getting his hand chopped off and shot out a window doesn't seem incredibly farfetched within the context of the universe.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1764 uninspiredcup

Like those Youtube channels that take trips and show normal life typically don't get shown. Places like Iran, Russia, Iraq etc... Usually when these get shown here in the UK, it's political shit.

Bro Bald And Bankrupt got perminantly banned from Russia lol

Loading Video...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1765 jaydan

@uninspiredcup: Have you been to Karen's Diner?

Loading Video...

You live kinda close to there right?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1766 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Conan did you know you can get suspended for telling goons to learn how to google. Absolute state.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1767 uninspiredcup
@jaydan said:

@uninspiredcup: Have you been to Karen's Diner?

Loading Video...

You live kinda close to there right?

Na man, that's still abit away from me. That's a weird gimmick, but pretty ballsy considering they know well they are going to get shitty reviews, but at the same time free press.

Was watching a similery shitty service video before went to bed yesterday some German dude checking out Iran airways. He got fed hamster food on a plane that isn't maintained while the staff didn't want to engage with him, with the choice of watching 5 Iran movies or reading the Quaran.

Loading Video...

Another one with this dude, once get past the whole "try not to get murdered" thing seems like a pretty dope place.

Loading Video...

As mentioned above, whenever they are on the news or generally get information in the West not really about the people who live their living everyday lives but the bad shit.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1768 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24979 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Just watched Andor.

First 2 episodes are boring but 3rd episode pick the pace and is incredible.

its Jason bourne in Star wars universe. fresh from Jedi vs sith and now you are spy/fugitive running away.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1769  Edited By jaydan

@uninspiredcup: Karen's looks like one of those dinner and show novelty type restaurants, but no animatronic mouse playing a banjo on a stage. Seems like something that could be fun to try at least once.

I think the shitty service thing works because that's the selling point of this diner, and they take it with pride. So the people that are overly sensitive will already know and avoid a place like this, and the people that are in for the laughs or the challenge will already be on board with expecting bad service. It would be more disappointing to have good service at that rate.

That man's beautiful wife in that video clearly did not seem like she was having it, she looked very uncomfortable being there. I imagine it's a good prank or trolling spot where people lure unsuspecting friends and loved ones there just to get their reactions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1770 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69843 Posts

@jaydan: Karen's Diner is such a weird behavioral choice.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1771 uninspiredcup

@jaydan: Def seems like a one and done than something want to return to.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1772 jaydan

You guys are all about Star Wars, but how many of you are familiar with this theme park ride?

Loading Video...

I may not care for Star Wars, but I can appreciate an amazing attraction like this.

Easily one of the greatest rides Disney has ever built, and one of the best engineering feats in amusement parks in general.

If I'm not mistaken, it's also canon with the whole Star Wars universe as well.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1773 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

Looks boring af to me 🤷🏽‍♂️

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1774 uninspiredcup

**** me, never realized John Candy was in Heavy Metal.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1775 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3041 Posts

name me a funnier show than Martin. I've seen every episode a bunch of times, I still laugh at every single joke. It's even better once you start noticing the actors break down and start laughing on set.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1776 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

@uitravioience: Heh.

Seinfeld, Archer, everyone loves ray are my fav.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1777 UItravioIence

@Chutebox: All great shows but none of them make me crack up like Martin. Archer is hilarious though!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1778  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1779  Edited By uninspiredcup

Seeing Heavy Metal after such a long time was an interesting experience. All remember of it was the green orb thing and boobs.

The animation style is pretty dope, it looks like a 2000AD comic come to life.

Loading Video...

Not really something watch again but def unique from the usual shit watch.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1780 Macutchi

@ghosts4ever said:

its Jason bourne in Star wars universe. fresh from Jedi vs sith and now you are spy/fugitive running away.

incredible isn't a word i'd use, but definitely a step in the right direction. they so badly need to up the pace. pretty sure episodes 1-3 could've been condensed into a single episode. for once seems to be an near universal internet consensus that ep1 and 2 are the slowest, dullest star wars ever created

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1781  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Well, this is happening. Sales of the Warlords remaster must be steady enough for an interest like this.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1782 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well, this is happening. Sales of the Warlords remaster must be steady enough for an interest like this.

Ugh. Remaster 2-4 already!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1783 uninspiredcup

@nintendoboy16 said:

Very nice. Although kinda hope the writing isn't like Castlevania.

Like that show, but the dialogue was so stilted, flat and edge-lord at times. Everyone sounded like a Vulcan.

Probably the lulzyest part was Death who sounds like a edgy 4Chan post.

Loading Video...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1784 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@SOedipus: Right? What the hell is stopping them? Licensing because of the actors involved?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1785 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

Seen many shows with shitty opening episodes or shitty entire seasons. TNG being a good example.

My problem here is tone. It's just, not very fun. From the onset looked like it was trying to be BSG, and it pretty much is.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1786 Macutchi

@ghosts4ever: did you get round to playing dying light 2 ghost? remember you hyping it back when it was announced (and me disagreeing ha). i'm playing it now and its pretty good. definitely better than expected

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1787 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi: was hyping chris avellon version that was cancelled sadly.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1788 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Seen many shows with shitty opening episodes or shitty entire seasons. TNG being a good example.

My problem here is tone. It's just, not very fun. From the onset looked like it was trying to be BSG, and it pretty much is.

but atleast it pick the pace.

House of dragon even after 5 episode is incredibly boring and dull.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1789  Edited By Macutchi
@ghosts4ever said:

@Macutchi: was hyping chris avellon version that was cancelled sadly.

ah yeah, that was it. dont know the specifics but sounded like he himself got cancelled. sexual misconduct allegation and two days later he's dropped.

not sure exactly what impact it had on the branching stories or quality of writing but the game still promotes itself with player choice being central to plot direction and it does at least feel reasonably consequential so far. im only doing main quest mind so not been exposed to tons of it, assuming it does actually exist in the side quests too. probably just like below under the hood

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1790  Edited By uninspiredcup

Love seeing top tier actors like Liam Neeson and Denzel Washington in revenge schlock.

He has to kill Mandalorian 6 times over just to make sure to properly dead him. As soon the as the cool guy music kicks in it's an auto-win.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1791 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7320 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Heavy Metal has a suprisingly star studded cast. Can't say it's good, but worth watching if you are into animation and... weird shit.

Heavy Metal 2000 is... also not good, but worth a watch if you like late 90's animation where hand drawn is mixed with CGI. The story is at least coherent in that one, and Michael Ironsides plays the villain.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1792  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Loading Video...

As much as I like TLOU games, this trailer from HBO version gave me The Walking Dead vibe and I always felt TWD was as close to the game's grittiness as possible. Hopefully this doesn't go into TWD route. Also Pedro Pascal looks great as Joel so that's the good part but Ellie looks meh but whatever. Clicker on point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1793 uninspiredcup

@davillain: Looks boring AF tbh. Rather watch Demons 1/2 or something.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1794 Pedro

@uninspiredcup said:

I agree. That trailer would have very little traction outside of the gaming community.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1795 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I agree. That trailer would have very little traction outside of the gaming community.

Like I said, TWD did this already and not hype for this but will still check it out since I do like Zombie stuff from games to movies🤷‍♂️

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1796 Pedro

@davillain: I am not saying that it wouldn't be good, just that the trailer wasn't good.😊

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1797 UItravioIence

No one is ever happy on this site. I think the trailer looks really good.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1798 Macutchi

@uitravioience said:

No one is ever happy on this site. I think the trailer looks really good.

me too, really good trailer and as soon as i saw it say it's from the creator of chernobyl, which was incredible, my interest in this has gone from virtually nothing to it now being firmly on my radar. praise the lord for my dodgy firestick meaning can get hbo shows day one in england 🙏

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1799 uninspiredcup

@judaspete: Yea, that's an accurate way of describing it. Guessing it was designed for drug users in mind. I mean it does have a lady putting her bikini armour on at a giant titty statue and alien stoners snorting cocaine off the floor.

Liked the basic idea of something something ancient evil with all these stories linked to it and the little girl knowing she would grow up to be a hero or something something ancient extinct race.

And the villain itself where it's not really a form as much a corruption of people around it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1800 jaydan
Loading Video...

I bet you this Pinocchio will be way more popular than that live-action abomination that Disney just released. Hopefully it will bury the Disney one in its grave.