Switch is currently the second best selling console in Nintendo history. Will it reach 100 million?

• 64 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Switch is currently the second best selling console in Nintendo history. Will it reach 100 million? (53 votes)

Yes 75%
No 25%

At this point, Nintendo Switch has likely passed the venerable NES to become the second best selling console in Nintendo's history. Well done! pic.twitter.com/aZdY4ecxKr

— Reggie Fils-Aime (@Reggie) August 6, 2020

Anyone kind of surprised by this? I guess as a Sony fan, 100 million units has been the usual lol. But Nintendo has only hit 100 million consoles once. Do you think they can hit 100 million, SW? I think they will come into the 80-90 range before dropping off drastically. Especially with the new consoles coming. I can't see Switch being the main focus for Nintendo beyond 2022. Hopefully Switch 2 will be out then.

• 
filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

''handheld'' that plugs into your tv.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I don't see it crossing 100 million.

Next-Gen hype is going to hurt Switch sales most people want that next gen fifa/call of duty/nba2k's/madden

People will lose interest in the switch etc especially with there droughts I don't count garbage like animal crossing. I play Zelda I play Mario I don't play animal crossing.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

I knew nintendo would finally give up on consoles and only focus on handhelds and this is proof of it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I predicted years ago, when the Switch first launched, that it would hit 100M.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think at its current rate, Switch definitely has potential to hit the 100 million mark... IF... Nintendo keeps the support train chugging. Wii-U ports no longer count as viable support so hoping to see more original games on their platform from beloved franchises.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Animal Crossing sold more than Vita and PSVR combined. Of course it will destroy PS4 and PS5 numbers.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Provided Nintendo learned from Wii that you don't essentially terminate support for a well selling console with years of life, then yes it will hit 100 million.

Like it or not, many people seem to be choosing the Animal Crossings over most.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I was very bearish about Switch when it debuted, but add-in the current circumstance and how people have been pushed to indoor means of entertainment and it would be surprising if Switch didn’t hit the 100m mark over its lifespan.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Sweet. GameCube is still Nintendo's top console, imo. Sad it didn't sell more. But Switch is legit. Needs more games that I like, though. Nintendo completely fucking up both Paper Mario and Fire Emblem and completely ignoring F-Zero and mishandling Metroid and Pikmin stings a lot.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Oh yeah I think the Switch will easily hit the 100 million mark. There’s no stopping this Switch train baby! 🚞

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Litchie: What's wrong with Fire Emblem four Houses, it's my favorite by far.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Unless Switch 2 suddenly comes out.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I said the Switch would sell 40 million tops at the time. Glad I was wrong. I think 100 million should be easily to achieve at this rate.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

If next gen wasn't happening sure, but with the ps5 and XsX coming out soon I don't see it happening.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

I don't see it crossing 100 million.

Next-Gen hype is going to hurt Switch sales most people want that next gen fifa/call of duty/nba2k's/madden

People will lose interest in the switch etc especially with there droughts I don't count garbage like animal crossing. I play Zelda I play Mario I don't play animal crossing.

Then where do you think it'll end up?

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

For sure if Nintendo will keep releasing big titles llike BotW2, MP4, Beyo3, MK9, Mario Odyssey2, new Pokemen, new Mario Party, Splatoon3 etc.

However, I personally hope these titles will be saved for the next gen Switch as they deserve a more powerful console.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Oh the Switch will most definitely hit 100M.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Sure will. It will reach 100m with 75% of its library being HD ports from 5-15 years ago.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

It'll pass 100 million in 3 years (19 $60 priced remaster games later).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

No. It will fade away well before then.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

@thegreatchomp said:

No. It will fade away well before then.

Highly doubtful, much like the Gameboy it will most likely have multiple models beyond what exists now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@uninspiredcup: Yes, but without a power upgrade will any of them sell? The game boy had a monopoly, the switch doesn’t. It’s already being dwarfed by the PS5 and XBox Series X.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@thegreatchomp said:

@uninspiredcup: Yes, but without a power upgrade will any of them sell? The game boy had a monopoly, the switch doesn’t. It’s already being dwarfed by the PS5 and XBox Series X.

I mean, the Switch is already significantly weaker than it's competition.

That's generally always been the case with Nintendo with almost every system going all the way back to the NES.

The Gameboy beat the Game Gear and similar ilk through virtue of better games, cheaper and better battery life.

As time goes on, presumably the Switch price will be poultry compared to the incoming next-generation and Nintendo being Nintendo will output games that typically make Sony and Microsoft come across as creatively bankrupt.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@thegreatchomp said:

History has shown time and time again that power does not win console generations.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Techhog89

@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

That's generally always been the case with Nintendo with almost every system going all the way back to the NES.

The Gameboy beat the Game Gear and similar ilk through virtue of better games, cheaper and better battery life.

As time goes on, presumably the Switch price will be poultry compared to the incoming next-generation and Nintendo being Nintendo will output games that typically make Sony and Microsoft come across as creatively bankrupt.

No it hasn't. That wasn't a thing until Wii for consoles. For handhelds yes, but definitely not for consoles before Wii.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

No it hasn't. That wasn't a thing until Wii for consoles. For handhelds yes, but definitely not for consoles before Wii.

MS > NES

Atari Jaguar > SNES

Dreamcast > N64

Xbox > Gamecube

A toaster > Wii

A Toaster with blue LED lights > WiiU

A Toaster with Alexa > Switch

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

With the way the Switch is selling I would be surprised if it doesn't blow past that number by at least a few million. Sure, they might want to get a new console out, but I suspect the Switch will continue to sell as long as they keep it on the shelf. I think they should either do a refresh like SONY and MS did this gen or simply support two consoles for a couple years.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@filthyn00b said:

I knew nintendo would finally give up on consoles and only focus on handhelds and this is proof of it.

I only play my Switch docked about 99.9% of the time. It's just as good if not a better home console than most of Nintendo's other offerings. Nothing will ever beat the Nostalgia and great times from NES/SNES, but add in the fact that the Switch has the virtual libraries of games and a lot to offer throughout and it may well be their best overall console. Those touting the Gamecube always crack me up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@uninspiredcup: Wasn’t the jaguar apart of a different generation than the snes?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@thegreatchomp said:

@uninspiredcup: Wasn’t the jaguar apart of a different generation than the snes?

Loading Video...

The SNES was still popular well into the 32bit era outselling the likes of Jaguar and 3DO with Jaguar exclusively promoting it's power as the selling point, to it's own folly.

Going by fourth generation it was more popular than TurboGrafx-16, CD-I and Neo Geo.

The Sega Mega-drive was popular, but it was more down to extreamly good marketing than a sizable power difference, arguably some of the best marketing ever done for a console.

As mentioned above good games sell Nintendo consoles, not it's hardware. And it's games, first party, generally are perceived as being better than it's competitors. Probably the best in world, if we're being frank.

If the Switch see's a Gameboy level of commitment, it can easily be around for a long, long time in repacked formats.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

The NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube were all powerful consoles upon release. It was the Wii that started the trend of under-powered Nintendo consoles.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'd think so. So long as Ninty support it as they have so far, I can't see it falling by the wayside.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

MS > NES

Atari Jaguar > SNES

Dreamcast > N64

Xbox > Gamecube

A toaster > Wii

Corrections:

• Gen 3 - Sega Master System > NES > Atari 7800 = Sega SG-1000
  • Gen 4 - Neo Geo > SNES = Sega Mega Drive > PC Engine
  • Gen 5 - N64 > PS1 = Saturn > 3DO > Atari Jaguar
  • Gen 6 - GameCube = Xbox > PS2 = Dreamcast
  • Gen 7 - PS3 = X360 > Wii
  • Gen 8 - PS4 > X1 > Switch > Wii U

Again, the trend of under-powered Nintendo consoles only began with the Wii.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

The NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube were all powerful consoles upon release. It was the Wii that started the trend of under-poweredNintendo consoles.

Under-powered is something an arbitrary term.

Nintendo have a very specific style of game design using highly stylized character design.

Something like Super Mario Galaxy for example, aside from (along with other titles) garnering more critical praise than any of the other seventh generation, generally is considered by many to one of the most artistically beautiful games made.

The distinction lies in being too weak for many games ported to it from the other systems. Typically cash-grabs trying to get it's huge market share where they would not only suffer from the specs itself but the completely alien control scheme.

But that's more so a sign of developers not adapting to it than the console itself being "under-powered", Nintendo consoles are primarily designed for Nintendo games.

Ironically, the supposed high point, the N64 is the system that could be demonstrably argued as "under-powered" as many of it's first party/exclusive games like OOT, Goldeneye and many others chugged at a low 20's frame-rate, occasionally dipping further. And from a more subjective stance, straight up ugly.

For the types of games N64 was trying to put out, as per many of the early 3D consoles, it isn't adequate with the contemporary eye.

Comparatively, Wii actually is. The main complaint probably being resolution. But otherwise doesn't suffer the same issues as the N64 because the hardware itself is more appropriately used.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89

@uninspiredcup said:
@techhog89 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

MS > NES

Atari Jaguar > SNES

Dreamcast > N64

Xbox > Gamecube

A toaster > Wii

You had to stretch the definitions of "significantly" and "generation" super hard there.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Yeah, I think it will. As long as they keep pumping out the awesome games...

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Absolutely. has it even had a price cut yet?

I'm keenly awaiting BoTW 2. Really liked BoTW 1, but BoTW could be amazing with just a few minor changes to the formula.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@thegreatchomp said:

The NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube were all powerful consoles upon release. It was the Wii that started the trend of under-powered Nintendo consoles.

Under-powered is something an arbitrary term.

Nintendo have a very specific style of game design using highly stylized character design.

Something like Super Mario Galaxy for example, aside from (along with other titles) garnering more critical praise than any of the other seventh generation, generally is considered by many to one of the most artistically beautiful games made.

The distinction lies in being too weak for many games ported to it from the other systems. Typically cash-grabs trying to get it's huge market share where they would not only suffer from the specs itself but the completely alien control scheme.

But that's more so a sign of developers not adapting to it than the console itself being "under-powered", Nintendo consoles are primarily designed for Nintendo games.

Ironically, the supposed high point, the N64 is the system that could be demonstrably argued as "under-powered" as many of it's first party/exclusive games like OOT, Goldeneye and many others chugged at a low 20's frame-rate, occasionally dipping further. And from a more subjective stance, straight up ugly.

For the types of games N64 was trying to put out, as per many of the early 3D consoles, it isn't adequate with the contemporary eye.

Comparatively, Wii actually is. The main complaint probably being resolution. But otherwise doesn't suffer the same issues as the N64 because the hardware itself is more appropriately used.

The N64 was the most powerful console of its generation. It was undoubtedly more powerful than the PS1. Whatever issues you have with the N64, the PS1 suffered from many of the same issues, and more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

The N64 was the most powerful console of its generation. It was undoubtedly more powerful than the PS1. Whatever issues you have with the N64, the PS1 suffered from many of the same issues, and more.

Hmm... yes and no. They all suffered from it, but the others, especially the Saturn were alleviated and hold up better to contemporary audience thanks to still having a portion focus on traditional 2D gaming.

Loading Video...

The N64, while potentially strong on paper for 2D games had no interest in them.

What we are left with is a blurry mess of 20FPS titles where a tub of rainbow colored paint has been splashed on the wall thanks to over-reaching.

Under powered, without being afforded the same respite.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: You're shifting the goal post to 2D. The main focus of Gen 5 was 3D. The N64 was the most powerful 3D gaming console of that generation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup
@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup: You're shifting the goal post to 2D. The main focus of Gen 5 was 3D. The N64 was the most powerful 3D gaming console of that generation.

Sadly, specifically took it into account, highlighted all were poor and explicitly highlighted N64 suffered the most due to said focus.

Rather than liberating it from criticism, merely dams it further.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

Sadly, specifically took it into account, highlighted all were poor and explicitly highlighted N64 suffered the most due to said focus.

Rather than liberating it from criticism, merely dams it further.

Are you trolling?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Techhog89

@Jag85: That's literally all he does here.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jag85

@techhog89: That's why I asked. But to be fair, he doesn't always troll.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

@filthyn00b said:

''handheld'' that plugs into your tv.

I plugs it into a monitor, what's your point??

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Nintendo targets a different market compared to the XSX and PS5 (with some overlap of course) and will likely not slow down for quite some time. I could see the Switch hitting close to PS2 numbers by the end.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

It's on 60 million now? Then no, 100 million seems unlikely.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Techhog89
@Litchie said:

It's on 60 million now? Then no, 100 million seems unlikely.

This is some funny logic. You know it's actually ahead of PS4 launch-aligned, right?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts

It's gonna leap over that 100 mil. I can see it doing possibly DS1 numbers at this rate. Graphics aren't a big deal to people that like Nintnendo handhelds.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

y @BenjaminBanklin said:

It's gonna leap over that 100 mil. I can see it doing possibly DS1 numbers at this rate. Graphics aren't a big deal to people that like Nintnendo handhelds.

Oh yeah you think BOTW 2 could push it to over 100 mill? I mean imagine if its breath of the wild but with 8 true dungeons and a real ganon end boss. Take out the garbage weapons breaking all the time lol. This thing could be game of all time right? I think I change my mind BOTW 2 will push it over 100 mill easy.