SW, how do you like your horror games?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll SW, how do you like your horror games? (34 votes)

With combat and why. 65%
Without combat and why. 35%

Can be any sort of genre of horror game, not specifically survival horror.

Discuss.

• 
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I can tolerate both.

That said if the aim is to scare me, and have it be a survival horror(read not an action horror game ala Resident Evil) game: Any game where I can take out my enemy efficiently stops being scary. A threat is more menacing when it's stronger than you. Making it on a level you can handle requires parlor tricks(jump scares for instant) to keep it engaging as a source of fear. And really it's less about fear and more about suspense.

Action Horror games, simply need to live up to being great action games, and the horror part just needs to be a great compliment by delivering on aesthetic, setting, tone, pacing, etc.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Exactly Like this. Scariest game ever by far.

Like this too. Very good scary game.

Another great horror game. Night of the Sacrifice has some great moments.

Without question, one of the best Silent Hill games ever (outside of Silent Hill 2).

Such a great horror game franchise. That freaking guy with the scissors just gets ya every time.

This was a very good horror game with a great storyline. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Defcon 5 had a great atmosphere and it had some interesting design such as you had to shoot the aliens down with turrets before they got inside the base you were at, if any got through, they would come for you and you'd have to take them out that way (which wasn't easy sometimes because they shoot back).

Loved this game. This is bar none the scariest Doom ever. I've played them all and none of them have the atmosphere of this one. They are all great in their own way (Especially Doom 2) but this one takes the title of scariest doom with the atmosphere.

This one had an interesting concept to where you didn't know who was good or bad until you scanned them. It had it's moments as well.

Another decent horror game similar to Resident Evil and Carrier.

I'm not sure if this game is considered actual horror but it had it's moments. The storyline was great with the Lunar Tears and some of your comrades that you learn to love get infected.

I'll just leave it there though.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Props for Clock Tower. I've played the third one, I think. Btw I've heard about Carrier and I've played Ill Bleed for a bit. I have my own Dreamcast. Is Carrier worth getting? Have you played Enemy Zero? I've never heard about this Echo night beyond.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I'm more partial towards a combat oriented horror game. I guess the main reason why is because it's faster paced and you tend to "play the game" more. Not having a weapon in hand and just soaking in atmosphere is still great when the game is good like Amnesia, but it definitely starts to get boring quicker imo.

As long as the game is good I don't really mind either way though. I've found favorites on both sides.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

With combat, e.g. Doom 3, Fear, Dead Space, AvP (as Marines).

I like Amnesia games too, but the fear factor is too high for me to handle it lol

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@misterpmedia:

Sounds like a fair assessment(about not having weapons), will have to check out Amnesia one day. Definitely looking forward to the Evil Within, so far it seems to have an original plot setup, and it's rare to see a high profile horror game like that. Probably getting it day one. Next up for me is that new game from SquareEnix Murdered Soul suspect, looking forward to see how that one turns out.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The last Horror game I truly enjoyed was Dead Space 1, so combat but not a lot or to the point I'm not swimming in ammo, bullets ect ect.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 nini200

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Props for Clock Tower. I've played the third one, I think. Btw I've heard about Carrier and I've played Ill Bleed for a bit. I have my own Dreamcast. Is Carrier worth getting? Have you played Enemy Zero? I've never heard about this Echo night beyond.

Thanks. Yeah Clock Tower 3 is the stuff. That's actually the one I was referencing about the dude with the scissors. Carrier is similar to Resident Evil 1 & 2 so if you like those games then yes it's worth getting.

No I haven't played Enemy Zero but after seeing the video on it, I will have to get it.

You NEED Echo Night Beyond if you're into horror games. It is a PS2 hidden gem that went under the radar. It's from Agetec and From Software (Dark Souls creators). There is no way to fight back as it is true survival horror. The way that game scares you is with ghosts. I never thought ghosts could be so scary until I played Echo Night Beyond. That game has even made my friend drop the controller and ball up.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@nini200 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Thanks. Yeah Clock Tower 3 is the stuff. That's actually the one I was referencing about the dude with the scissors. Carrier is similar to Resident Evil 1 & 2 so if you like those games then yes it's worth getting.

No I haven't played Enemy Zero but after seeing the video on it, I will have to get it.

You NEED Echo Night Beyond if you're into horror games. It is a PS2 hidden gem that went under the radar. It's from Agetec and From Software (Dark Souls creators). There is no way to fight back as it is true survival horror. The way that game scares you is with ghosts. I never thought ghosts could be so scary until I played Echo Night Beyond. That game has even made my friend drop the controller and ball up.

might browse some youtube vids tonight it seems :P. Cheers for that.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nini200

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

might browse some youtube vids tonight it seems :P. Cheers for that.

Cool

You need to play it for the real intensity as videos give you a good feel for it but to actually experience it, that game is something serious.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By misterpmedia

@Ballroompirate said:

The last Horror game I truly enjoyed was Dead Space 1, so combat but not a lot or to the point I'm not swimming in ammo, bullets ect ect.

a'la Resident Evil 6? :P

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ballroompirate

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Actually I was doing a jab against RE4 lol P, it's an amazing game but holy hell it got ridiculous on how much ammo and items that game threw at you. Also I jumped 0 times during my playthrough of RE4.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 misterpmedia

@Ballroompirate said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Actually I was doing a jab against RE4 lol P, it's an amazing game but holy hell it got ridiculous on how much ammo and items that game threw at you. Also I jumped 0 times during my playthrough of RE4.

that's true. Although heralded as the best resi to date there's something about that one and some other horror games that just forget about nerfing the player past a certain point. It's like Dead Space 3, once you customised a certain type of weapon you could take down a room full of necros with a couple of shots.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ballroompirate

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

that's true. Although heralded as the best resi to date there's something about that one and some other horror games that just forget about nerfing the player past a certain point. It's like Dead Space 3, once you customised a certain type of weapon you could take down a room full of necros with a couple of shots.

Never played Dead Space 3, Dead Space 1 was just amazing though.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By misterpmedia

@Ballroompirate said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Never played Dead Space 3, Dead Space 1 was just amazing though.

oh yeah definitely. Harder to nerf on dead space 1 unless you sunk all your nodes into one gun. Then the plasma cutter becomes OP. But usually you're aiming for certain parts of yellow anyway so if you're a good shot you'd breeze by. I'd see if you can get dead space 3 for cheap some where. Still dead spacey but way more of an action game put ontop of a horror setting, almost no atmosphere this time.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I like them but not a fan of when all you can do is run away. Prefer low ammo management, it builds way more tension than run and hide under beds.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

With combat. I cant stand playing games where they take control out of the players hand with gimmicky mechanics, by making the playable characters scared of the enemies. Look a monster! "scare animation, kicks in" or worse you get something like Amnesia, or Penumbra.

I'll take cheesy campy horror games like Resident Evil 4.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

silent hill 2 and 3 were horror and they had combat. i like having little ammo or weapons, not being able to see clearly and not being able to have perfect control of your character.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nini200

Any game where you can easily dispose of the enemy instantly loses it's horror. When you feel helpless or like your attacks won't harm the enemy much, then you have a true horror game.

This is exactly why F.3.A.R. was not scary. It's touted as a horror game but you slow down time, have an unholy amount of ammo and powerful guns that mow down enemies until the very end of the game. You basically and the monster and the enemies are running from you with all that power you have.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

@nini200 said:

Any game where you can easily dispose of the enemy instantly loses it's horror. When you feel helpless or like your attacks won't harm the enemy much, then you have a true horror game.

QFT

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i dont like horor games have so much shooter i like old times RE and sillent hill games my top 10 games 1 RE CODE veronica (dc) 2 sillent hill (psx) 3 RE remake and original (PSX&GC) 4 RE zero ( GC) 5 last of us (ps3) 6 dead space (ps3) 7 alan wake (xbox360) 8 sillent hill 2(ps2) 9 RE2(PSX) 10 doom 3 (xbox)

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 misterpmedia

@nini200 said:

This is exactly why F.3.A.R. was not scary. It's touted as a horror game but you slow down time, have an unholy amount of ammo and powerful guns that mow down enemies until the very end of the game. You basically and the monster and the enemies are running from you with all that power you have.

F3AR was an abomination to the franchise. Urgh. Shitty plot continuation and hardly any Alma.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 nini200

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

F3AR was an abomination to the franchise. Urgh. Shitty plot continuation and hardly any Alma.

Agreed 100%

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 misterpmedia

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

Agreed 100%

what's ironic is that they got some horror big wig to come in and help them. fucking SIGH. I wish there were more games that involved the same sort of atmosphere with ghosts specifically. Was such a nice mix of shooter and spook.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 nini200

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

Agreed 100%

what's ironic is that they got some horror big wig to come in and help them. fucking SIGH. I wish there were more games that involved the same sort of atmosphere with ghosts specifically. Was such a nice mix of shooter and spook.

Wow really? Lol we see how great that turned out.

Give me a Children of the Corn horror game where the children are after you THEN we'll be onto something great. I mean was that too hard to come up with?

Oh did you check out Echo Night Beyond?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By misterpmedia

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

Agreed 100%

Give me a Children of the Corn horror game where the children are after you THEN we'll be onto something great. I mean was that too hard to come up with?

yeah did you never hear about it? Think it was John Carpenter.

Children and horror are a match made in heaven so I don't see why not.

And shit, forgot about that, will do some watching tonight on it if I remember.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

i knew that the momment they revealed coop and look at the pretty robots!

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By nini200

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:

Agreed 100%

yeah did you never hear about it? Think it was John Carpenter.

Children and horror are a match made in heaven so I don't see why not.

And shit, forgot about that, will do some watching tonight on it if I remember.

Wow Lol John Carpenter? Really? The Fast and Furious director? Lol ok now it makes sense lol

Yes Children of the Corn has everything necessary to be a great horror game.

Lol ok cool

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 misterpmedia

@nini200 lol not sure if that's the correct one: cleek.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nini200
@misterpmedia said:

Oh no lol I'm thinking John Singleton lol Ok now I got it lol

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 misterpmedia

@nini200 said:
@misterpmedia said:

lol was gonna say, legendary horror director does Fast and Furious....ironically that may have made it a better film...aha

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 nini200

@misterpmedia said:

@nini200 said:
@misterpmedia said:

lol was gonna say, legendary horror director does Fast and Furious....ironically that may have made it a better film...aha

Lol that would be hilarious and yet very entertaining actually lol

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Without Combat.

This whole Survival thing is a colossal waste of time. I prefer horror without combat but with Co-op. In essence, Adventure Horror. Kind of Like The "Lost In Nightmares" Chapter of President Evil 5. Proof that co-op doesn't detract from horror and limiting resources doesn't add to it.

The "Condenser" chapter in Beyond was also a good example of horror and didn't feature an ounce of combat. some co-op wouldve been nice.