Superior, Inferior and just right Remake of existing games?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Hello friends,

So in this thread we discuss a type of Remakes that are superior that original, inferior than original and equal to original shall we? past gen we got many remakes from demon souls, FF7, shadow of colossus, RE2, Mafia etc. here we discuss remakes that are better, worse and just as good.

here what I think are.

Superior:

Resident Evil 2 Remake: No doubt its better than original in every single way, it plays better, control better, and obviously better graphics.

Inferior:

Mafia Definitive edition: This is the definition of inferior remake. the 20 years old Mafia is better in every single way except graphics. they butchered the gameplay by turning into wall cover, the characterization, the soundtrack that feel now generic instead of iconic but I still liked it as we dont have linear games like this anymore.

Equal:

Black Mesa: This is not only remake that is equal to Half life but also best remake of all time bar none. its just made by modders yet still masterpiece and blow many modern titles out of water. incredible achivement.

so what remakes you think fall in those categories? lets discuss

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Isn't the Demon Souls remake exclusive to PS5 and this gen by default? 🤔

To participate in the thread... are we doing just PS4/X1/Wii-U remakes or all remakes ever?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@Telekill said:

Isn't the Demon Souls remake exclusive to PS5 and this gen by default? 🤔

To participate in the thread... are we doing just PS4/X1/Wii-U remakes or all remakes ever?

All Ever.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Thank you for the clarification.

Superior: TR Anniversary, RE1 and 2 Remake, Bionic Commando Rearmed

Inferior: RE3 Remake (just didn't feel as good as the original), Ninja Turtles 4 Reshelled (train wreck with hit detection)

Equal: Ducktales (PS3), Shadow of the Collossus. FF7 Remake (would have been better but it's not the entire game).

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

14-3. That exchange with i_p_daily made this one predictable.

Anyway, Capcom should stop remaking Resident Evil games at 3, which was about the same as the original if a bit worse, or go to Code Veronica or something. RE4 doesn't need a remake.

And this might ruffle a few feathers, but I think Square Enix did a bad one with FF7. They chopped off the first 1/6 of the original, padded it out like a mental ward cell, and contrived Sephiroth into it. Should have cut the fat and at least taken a bigger chunk.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I can’t decide if the Trials of Mana remake is slightly inferior or slightly better. It’s full 3D instead of overhead, the latter which I preferred, but they made a bunch of QOL improvement and completely captured the spirit of the original (even down to those ridiculous dancing merchants).

I would classify all of the “Enhanced” beamdog versions of the infinity engine games (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale) as inferior due to them being barely enhanced, unpolished, breaking mods, and adding new characters with substandard writing that didn’t really fit with the original content. Extra negative points for charging so much for what amounted to a mod compilation and causing stores to stop selling the originals. I heard they barely touched Planescape and NWN, which was probably for the best, but they still called them enhanced and charged a premium for it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Do people who played FF7R still not realize It's a sequel?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

REmake1 most bestest.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

REmake1 most bestest.

Yep. When thinking of a remake that completely Donald Trumps the original this comes to mind.

I like Remake 2 a fair bit, easily one fav games in the last few years, but it's not quite perfect. Shit I hate, like the music (or lack of) sucking ass without the original DLC. The scenarios limited rather than expanded upon, the handhold opening that completely lacks the baptism by (literal fire) intense opening on the original on the PS1 and some stuff they added and remove like crash bandicoot croc and having a stroll with Ada prior to it, that entire sequence was kinda shit.

-

I'd probably consider Hitman: Contracts a remake of Codename 47. As it was a PC release, and... shit. Recycling content for a much better version, absolutely fine. While mechanically not the best, I love it's atmosphere more than any other entry.

Must admit, wasn't big on Black Mesa. On paper everything should be A+, but I donno, feels hollow compared to the original. Absolutely respect the work they put it, just wish liked it more than I did.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I just came in here to remind everyone that Demon's Souls remake is the best remake the gaming industry has ever seen. When it comes to an inferior remake, RE3R comes to mind. I didn't play much of the original, but there is no way in hell it could've been as mediocre as the remake was. What a bad game. Maybe it was made in collaboration with Ubisoft, and that's why its this bad.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@fedor said:

Do people who played FF7R still not realize It's a sequel?

Ya......but SE themfreakingselves calls it a remake. It's their fault.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@hardwenzen said:

I just came in here to remind everyone that Demon's Souls remake is the best remake the gaming industry has ever seen. When it comes to an inferior remake, RE3R comes to mind. I didn't play much of the original, but there is no way in hell it could've been as mediocre as the remake was. What a bad game. Maybe it was made in collaboration with Ubisoft, and that's why its this bad.

I didn't play RE3R, but saw a vid of a QTE with Jill trying to start a car.

Think after all these years Capcom would have learned nobody likes this shit.

Nope.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Best remake indeed. Sony really outdid themselves making it a premium experience. Better than KFC's famous bowl, way better than Boston Market.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@hardwenzen said:

Nope.

Its not just the qte's. The whole thing feels like an arcade game. Doesn't suit RE at all, unless you were into RE6. I am glad it did poorly, tho. Certainly gave Capcom a sign that this is not what RE fans want from the series.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@hardwenzen said:

Nope.

Its capcom B team. the real team working on Village which looks incredible.

beside original RE3 was not any good.

I have seen no remake that butchered like Mafia. From classic perfect game to just mediocre cover shooter.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

Superior: RE1, RE2

Inferior: XIII, Warcraft III: Reforged

Just right: Demon's Souls, Link's Awakening, Ratchet and Clank

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

14-3. That exchange with i_p_daily made this one predictable.

Anyway, Capcom should stop remaking Resident Evil games at 3, which was about the same as the original if a bit worse, or go to Code Veronica or something. RE4 doesn't need a remake.

And this might ruffle a few feathers, but I think Square Enix did a bad one with FF7. They chopped off the first 1/6 of the original, padded it out like a mental ward cell, and contrived Sephiroth into it. Should have cut the fat and at least taken a bigger chunk.

What exchange was that?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
@i_p_daily said:

What exchange was that?

The one over original Mafia vs Mafia remake in the "predict the masterpiece" thread. As I was reading that, with a handful of popcorn in my hand, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew Ghost would make a thread like this afterwards. The guy doesn't seem to know how to let things go, which made him predictable.

Truth be told, because Mafia wasn't mentioned in the title, it was almost a coin flip - until I did a last-minute process of elimination. I asked myself; "who would make this thread at this time?" I came back with only one possibility, hence the +1 on my scorecard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@madrocketeer said:
@i_p_daily said:

What exchange was that?

The one over original Mafia vs Mafia remake in the "predict the masterpiece" thread. As I was reading that, with a handful of popcorn in my hand, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew Ghost would make a thread like this afterwards. The guy doesn't seem to know how to let things go, which made him predictable.

Truth be told, because Mafia wasn't mentioned in the title, it was almost a coin flip - until I did a last-minute process of elimination. I asked myself; "who would make this thread at this time?" I came back with only one possibility, hence the +1 on my scorecard.

Right, well casual4ever is very predictable, but whats the 14-3 all about?

PS...I tried to warn him that they were using the gunplay from 3, but he wouldn't listen, another of things that's easy to predict with him, people try to tell him, but nope, he loves to make a fool of himself lol.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By madrocketeer  Online

@i_p_daily:

I'm a bored, jaded, misanthropic arsehole, so I'm using the mobile version of this site's lack of thread creator indicator in the forum view to play a little game I call "guess the Ghost thread from the title." 14-3 is my current scorecard; 14 right guesses to 3 wrong guesses.

And yeah, he's very predictable, and seems to be getting more predictable the more I play this dumb game. Maybe I'll move on at 20 right guesses and play, I dunno, "guess the Cup thread" or something - though I strongly suspect that would be way too easy.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

That XIII remake looks freaking awful.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

Oh shit, can't believe forgot about YS.

Turned the weakest entry in the series to arguably the best. Which seems like pretty much what Resident Evil 3 should have done.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Superior: RE2 Remake (PC), FF4 Complete Collection (PSP), Star Ocean Second Evolution (PSP)

Equal: Megaman Maverick Hunter X (PSP) FFT War of the lions (PSP) was good in some ways but had some performance problems

Inferior: FF6 Android/IOS (looked awful), Turtles in Time ReShelled (looked like garbage)

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Black Mesa is the only right answer here.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Haven't played a lot of remakes now that I sit down and think about it.

Tomb Raider: Aniversary is great though. You get Core's level design sensibilities mixed with Legend era gameplay. Peak of the series.

Metroid: Zero Mission. Make the first game play like Super Metroid. What's not to like?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@madrocketeer said:

@i_p_daily:

I'm a bored, jaded, misanthropic arsehole, so I'm using the mobile version of this site's lack of thread creator indicator in the forum view to play a little game I call "guess the Ghost thread from the title." 14-3 is my current scorecard; 14 right guesses to 3 wrong guesses.

And yeah, he's very predictable, and seems to be getting more predictable the more I play this dumb game. Maybe I'll move on at 20 right guesses and play, I dunno, "guess the Cup thread" or something - though I strongly suspect that would be way too easy.

Shit you must be bored lol, and casual4evers threads are the easiest to spot on here, so you should be 17-0

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

RE2.

FF7R

DeSR (technically a highest quality class of a remaster with some patches).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:

Black Mesa is the only right answer here.

It's so good!

I finished it once in Beta, and already finished the final version twice in 2020.

For the purists though I recommend On A Rail uncut. I just love the original train ride, it's dear to me.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

Every remake is literally superior to the original. However, even if things are remade to be 100% modern, it still might not captivate you in the same way the original game did.

Final Fantasy X is my second favourite videogame of all time after Metal Gear Solid 4. There is nothing I want more than an FFX remake on the same scale as FFVII:R. But I know 100% I will not enjoy it as much as I did the original because I'm not 8 years old anymore, the dialogue, cringe etc would probably overwhelm me. It would have to be written with less weebo crap for me to enjoy it as much.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

I can't think of any remake off the top of my head that was inferior.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

@i_p_daily:

I thought I was the only one who played that game.

I play an additional game called "Is 'Guess the Ghost Thread' More Fun Than the Game Ghost is Ranting About?" Not an elegant title, but it works.