AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

A 7/10 means it’s a 5/10 at best. Have to minus 2 full points to get the true score of Nintendo games.

But it’s outrageous some of you are defending this $79.99CAD port of a switch game which is a port of a Wii/DS game!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts
@ajstyles said:

A 7/10 means it’s a 5/10 at best. Have to minus 2 full points to get the true score of Nintendo games.

But it’s outrageous some of you are defending this $79.99CAD port of a switch game which is a port of a Wii/DS game!

I can't wait to see what they do next gen. These will be even more expensive. How far will they go? A pixel for pixel port of faxanadu, for £50? Go for it, solid 8/10.

So that's a 7/10 game that's getting hyped around here, let's be honest, when MS or sony release a 7/10 on xbox that is hyped, there is a lot of criticism. And you're right, with Nintendo weighting, this is a 5/10 game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dzimm: Its a 6 year old lazy port, $19 max for something like that.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@ajstyles said:

If you do not like the prices of Nintendo games, then do not pay for them. Go find them at a cheaper price by just buying them used. Nintendo has the right to charge how its games are priced whether gamers like it or not.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

Nintendo switch to remakes instead of new yet still call this new super Mario bros u. What da heck?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I'm not buying. I played the original on DS and was already turned off by the Wii version. This just seems to me like a rehash of that same game over and over. It's not a bad game per se but in my case: been there, done that.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@onesiphorus: I don’t buy Nintendo games.

And unfortunately, even if I did, none of them are ever cheap. Nintendo never drops its prices and their fan base thinks they can still sell these games for full price LOL

The Nintendo tax is a real thing.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#59 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Never played this on Wii U, probably get it at some point. Not paying $80 plus tax though, they're out of their minds.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ajstyles: There's a sale on Nintendo games on the eshop right now.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#61 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Terrible review. New Super Mario U was actually a great game on the Wii U (GS's original score was an 8.5). And this version contains New Luigi, which actually brought some difficulty to the game thanks to the time limits, so that should have accounted for something. Didn't buy this guy's excuse to dock the score because "OMG ODYSSEY IS AMAZEBALLS". Odyssey is a 3D platformer. New Super Mario is 2D, and still among the best in the genre... The review was hardly informative at all either.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: It did come across as nitpicking yes. The game itself is solid, people are just unhappy about the price. Comparing it to 3D Mario is silly, you're right.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@x_karen_x said:

Nintendo switch to remakes instead of new yet still call this new super Mario bros u. What da heck?

its called "new" because its the new artsyle and music style for mario 2D games. it started with the wii and DS(back then it was "new and improved"2D mario) and continued to the wiiU. once they revamp the series and change the artsyle & music it will have a different name.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KBFloYd

@JustPlainLucas said:

Terrible review. New Super Mario U was actually a great game on the Wii U (GS's original score was an 8.5). And this version contains New Luigi, which actually brought some difficulty to the game thanks to the time limits, so that should have accounted for something. Didn't buy this guy's excuse to dock the score because "OMG ODYSSEY IS AMAZEBALLS". Odyssey is a 3D platformer. New Super Mario is 2D, and still among the best in the genre... The review was hardly informative at all either.

score will have no effect whasoever on sales. also it will have zero effect on me enjoying it(you should also). no need to even give his review a 2nd thought.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@KBFloYd:

Is this exclusive for new 2d xl or just new 3d xl?

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#66 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@ajstyles: So a real Nintendo 10/10 would have to score a 12/10?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Looking forward to playing it. Gamespot also gushes over mediocre stuff like RDR2 and the God of War reboot, so I couldn't give less of a crap about their opinions.

@ajstyles said:

It's so weird that Canadians do this. Like they're jealous of the USA being the most important country for sales. Nobody gives a crap about the Canadian dollar.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I’m still getting it, but I wish they ported mario maker instead.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 JustPlainLucas
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

score will have no effect whasoever on sales. also it will have zero effect on me enjoying it(you should also). no need to even give his review a 2nd thought.

I'm not upset at the score, more as I am with the reasoning for it. It won't have any effect on me enjoying the game, because I already played ... back when it was on the Wii U. Not going to double dip on this, but first timers to this game on the Switch are most certainly going to love it for what it is - a 2D Mario - and not expect something as magnificent as Mario Odyssey, which is impossible to achieve. It's asinine to dock a game for being older than a more recently release game while also being in a completely different genre. I normally don't complain about reviews, but when they're this bad... it's like an abscess tooth.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:

It was a really bad review indeed.

Question, do you think there's anyone at GameSpot who's actually good at their job? Because I don't. I've no idea why these people get these jobs. Their articles are laughable, their reviews are terrible, their podcasts are dumb. If it weren't for GameSpot's forums, this is probably one of the worst gaming websites in existence. I'm not even exaggerating.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

For those talking trash about Nintendo prices just remember that you pay that one price for a complete game unlike all of these AAA games where you pay $60 for only part of the game and the rest you need to shell out for DLC or Deluxe Editions that end up being $100+

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

wheres that kbfloyd guy at this game got a 7/10 an flopped hard and its a nintendo game prolly hiding out in some other place

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@vaidream45 said:

For those talking trash about Nintendo prices just remember that you pay that one price for a complete game unlike all of these AAA games where you pay $60 for only part of the game and the rest you need to shell out for DLC or Deluxe Editions that end up being $100+

True, true. But when they release a game that is a port, it would be nice to see it at ~40 bucks instead of the same price they want for their brand new games. I have no problem with buying their new games for full price, one of the reasons is the one you mentioned, but when it comes to old games, especially games you've already paid for on another console, it feels kinda shitty.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@vaidream45 said:

Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario Rabids, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 all have DLC, season passes and the like. Don't act like Nintendo is still part of that "good guy no charge multiplayer". They're as guilty as anyone else, and their pricing is especially shitty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#75 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I love Mario 2d or 3d but this art style for 2d Mario's just puts me off playing the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#76 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@FinalFighters said:

$60 for a 6 year old port..Ridiculous.

Nintendo gaming, folks. Easiest fanbase to milk money out of.

Been doing it for decades, same shit every year.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Litchie: I agree with this. $30 for ports would be fair. I was more so referring to new titles. As far as the dlc discussion goes so far any dlc on Nintendo games only adds a little bit to an already massive and complete game. Not having the DLC takes away nothing from the main game. I can easily say that about BOTW as well as Smash which gives you 800000 characters and if you reeeeeally want a few more than you can pay for the dlc. This is far different than other fighter games that offer 5 fighters for $60 then start charging DLC for any additional. Lets take Witcher 3 for example. Great game and I would argue that the DLC is worth it.....but without buying all the DLC you only have part of the story of Witcher 3 and never get to experience the ending. On BOTW the retail purchased basic game lets you complete the entire game. DLC is only for bonus crap like a motorcycle and some survival modes and bonus side quests etc. see the difference yet?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@phbz: wait... Wut? It looks like every Mario game I've ever played.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@phbz said:

I love Mario 2d or 3d but this art style for 2d Mario's just puts me off playing the game.

I tend to agree. At least with the newer titles. The New Super Mario Bros has a very clean "flash game" look to it, Sterile. The models don't really emote, it's like watching plastic toys.

Rayman by comparison have alot more character to it, the art team had a field a day.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I love Mario and i love 2D games ... but i got 0 interest in the New Super Mario franchise ... it looks so dull.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JustPlainLucas
@Litchie said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

It was a really bad review indeed.

Question, do you think there's anyone at GameSpot who's actually good at their job? Because I don't. I've no idea why these people get these jobs. Their articles are laughable, their reviews are terrible, their podcasts are dumb. If it weren't for GameSpot's forums, this is probably one of the worst gaming websites in existence. I'm not even exaggerating.

Most of the good talent shortly after Gerstmanngate. It's been a gradual decline in talent and it's never really improved.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By KBFloYd

@ProtossRushX said:

wheres that kbfloyd guy at this game got a 7/10 an flopped hard and its a nintendo game prolly hiding out in some other place

lol,i already posted 10 times in this thread

i said this game was flop proof because its mario. also if this was a new game then yes it would be a c ritical flop but its a port. the original release got an 8. so it was not a huge flop.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

It's a port that really added nothing new that would justify people who already own both games to buy it again (see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe vastly improving their multiplayer options).

To be honest, I'd rather buy Tropical Freeze if I have a craving for 2d platforming.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

The graphical style of mario 2D games feel dated to me.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By KBFloYd

@robert_sparkes said:

to be fair this game is from 6 years ago. and was basically a HD version of a sequel to the wii game.

If nintendo release another 2D mario in this same style in this day and age then i agree with you.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I wouldn't mind a hand drawn 2D game similar to rayman or cuphead.

Just something to freshen up the formula.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Overpriced and overrated.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 KBFloYd

@MirkoS77 said:

overrated at 7? nah

7 and 8 are right for this game. shits on pretty much any platformer in quality.

overpriced? sure

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#89  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@MirkoS77 said:

overrated at 7? nah

7 and 8 are right for this game. shits on pretty much any platformer in quality.

overpriced? sure

Not sure I'd agree there, def think Rayman Legends (haven't played Origins) is better.

But, yea, pretty far from a "bad". Over familiar perhaps.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@robert_sparkes said:

to be fair this game is from 6 years ago. and was basically a HD version of a sequel to the wii game.

If nintendo release another 2D mario in this same style in this day and age then i agree with you.

I believe that New Super Mario Bros. U is a HD game as the Wii U is the Nintendo's first HD home console. So graphically, how can it be improved unless the the Switch has the remade game played on 1080p.

I believe that Nintendo did with Super Mario Run, a game for mobile devices. Unlike the successful Fire Emblem Heroes spin-off, Run earns the least amount of revenue.