Substantial Next gen jump confirmed- EPIC Games

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#51 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

huge potential to reinvent the game industry.Tim Sweeney

This better be true. If all this talk about their new engine is true, there should be absolutely no 'getting to know the system' BS that usually accompanies the launch of a new console. If any schmo can produce a game 'on the scale of Angry Birds', then what can highly trained, industry veterans do with it?

-

We need next gen games. I fully expect nothing but revolutionary gaming experiences. That is if all the 'we can't be creative without new hardware' assertions are true, then we should expect nothing less and be extremely vocal in calling them out if we don't get what they promised.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#52 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

Crysis 3 is where im starting to see a next gen look in pc games. Aint nothing touches Crysis 3 in graphics. But thats comparable to the 4 year gen leap of Xbox to Xbox 360. So this 8 year jump in graphics Xbox 720 will have, will definetly blow Crysis 3 out of the water. 360 to 720 will be like N64 to 360. 

04dcarraher

If the rumored specs are true about the 720 having a a gpu with 1.2 TFLOP and 68GB/s memory performance that isnt going to happen, since the gpu is not any faster then a mid ranged gpu from 2011.

Using "GPU" when you actually mean "graphics card".

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#53 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

If they bump current games to true 1080p with AA and 60fps, there will be no more power to do anything else.

04dcarraher

Well that depends on how "high end" they're going. I am very skeptical about that quote by Epic saying "high end". I seriously doubt AMD or nVidia have managed to fit the power of something like a GTX 690 or even a 670 into something that fits inside a console-sized chasis and remains cool. These things need to stay stable and cool for years too. Just look at the current consoles. Lots of overheating issues with those.

28nm is the main standard now in gpu tech and to have a gpu as fast as another gpu you need virtually the same amount of transistors which means at then same manufacturing process it will have virtually the same power requirements. Your not going to see 130+ TDP based gpus in the next consoles like 7870 or better.

So like I wrote.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="Micropixel"]

Wii U can run Unreal 4 Engine.

Wii U can also run Cry Engine 3.

Not a sheep. Just pointing out that it can do the same thing.

Micropixel

Cause it's scalable but it wouldn't be the full blown engine. "We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could,".

You guys like to use the "scalable" excuse alot, don't you?

Is that not what Epic said? They say in that article it would even run on phones.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="Micropixel"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Cause it's scalable but it wouldn't be the full blown engine. "We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could,".fernandmondego_

"Is that not what Epic said? They say in that article it would even run on phones.

Ill state that I dont think its our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable. Well run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

Crysis 3 is where im starting to see a next gen look in pc games. Aint nothing touches Crysis 3 in graphics. But thats comparable to the 4 year gen leap of Xbox to Xbox 360. So this 8 year jump in graphics Xbox 720 will have, will definetly blow Crysis 3 out of the water. 360 to 720 will be like N64 to 360. 

-Unreal-

If the rumored specs are true about the 720 having a a gpu with 1.2 TFLOP and 68GB/s memory performance that isnt going to happen, since the gpu is not any faster then a mid ranged gpu from 2011.

Using "GPU" when you actually mean "graphics card".

no, gpu not graphics card, gpu is short for graphics processing unit, since you can have a gpu without needing a card.
conspirethis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 conspirethis
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

So I expect at least 1920x1080 render resolution and things like 16xAF, 8xAA (or high quality AA), soft dynamic shadows on everything in a scene, particle lighting, particle motion blur, per object motion blur, tesselation, volumetric fog, fog shadows, advanced HDR and more...

...all in one scene in one game.

Oh yeah and 60 FPS or thereabouts. Get rid of this 30 FPS crap.

-Unreal-

AA to me is such a waste of frames that could be used up for better graphics presets altogether. I always turn AA off on all my games to pump up certain graphics more, in 1080p.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#58 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Obviously they're referring to the PS4, not 720.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

unless if it close to the level of avatar in real-time than I dont think there's anything that might impress me.

Dark_man123
PC doesn't do that, yet you expect next gen consoles to do that. :lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the laugh.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i cant wait... let the TRUE next gen arrive.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

I hope epic has a quality jump to go hand in hand.

another gen of nothing but gears of war would be total dog sh*t.

ReadingRainbow4

Indeed. Who wants another AAA series?

I'd like them to shake the idea of the forced cover shooter. Gears is by far the most boring and stale series i've played this gen.

Finally someone thought the same.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
Its starting to be a pattern that consoles release and match PC graphics, before the PC industry starts pumping out new hardware.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

unless if it close to the level of avatar in real-time than I dont think there's anything that might impress me.

Dark_man123
We are NEVER going to achieve avatar graphics, NEVER http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/40000-processors-and-104-tb-of-ram-assembled-to-render-avatar We catch up with lighting though, BUT NEVER.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

If something like Crysis 2 modded is not a big jump to console gamers then they will end up dissappointed with the new gen visuals.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Was always planning on getting the other 2 Consoles. Regardless of how much better the graphics are, I need games for the other two to pick them up right away. If there are none, then I wait.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

If something like Crysis 2 modded is not a big jump to console gamers then they will end up dissappointed with the new gen visuals.

RyviusARC

People are always disapointed at launch. Its takes a year or two for the better looking games to come out. There will definetly be better looking games than Crysis 3 on the consoles. You best expect your graphics card to disapoint. 

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="Micropixel"]

fernandmondego_

"Is that not what Epic said? They say in that article it would even run on phones.

Ill state that I dont think its our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable. Well run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."

Yeah I know what it says, I've read it. Unreal Engine 4 is pretty much designed to run on anything. They just don't want to port it themselves.

But a lot of you guys take that out of context and put a negative spin on it even the though the bottom line is that it CAN run. That's what I mean by using the "Scalable" excuse.

Also, I agree that the Unreal Engine 3 is a good fit for the system. But saying that doesn't mean that the machine is ONLY suited for that engine. The whole machine is a complete mystery that is STILL being figured out 3 months after launch.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

We saw substantial difference between the original xbox and 360 which had a 4 year gap. I'd expect an even larger difference with a 8 year gap. MFDOOM1983

It is rather obvious that would happen, it is only dillusional PC gamers that think would not be the case

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

slipknot0129

People are always disapointed at launch. Its takes a year or two for the better looking games to come out. There will definetly be better looking games than Crysis 3 on the consoles. You best expect your graphics card to disapoint. 

:lol: best expect the next xbox to disappoint
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]We saw substantial difference between the original xbox and 360 which had a 4 year gap. I'd expect an even larger difference with a 8 year gap. loosingENDS

It is rather obvious that would happen, it is only dillusional PC gamers that think would not be the case

Pc gamers think that their graphics are the pinacle of what graphics can be. Truth is the consoles will blow them out of the water. 

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

slipknot0129

I have played the best looking console games then went back and played a game from last gen like F.E.A.R. (it came out before the 360) and I don't see a huge jump, sure the visuals have gotten better in some ways but it's not a huge difference.

And last gen had the helping hand of unified shaders.

This coming generation doesn't have anything special like that.

They will have tessellation but that has been out for years and is already used in games like Crysis 2.

So the jump won't be as large as some would expect.

The better visuals become the harder it is to continually show the same bumps in graphic fidelity.

Just like with last gen most of the increases console gamers see will be common place for PC gamers.

The biggest changes you will see are higher resolution textures and shadows with better LOD and draw distance with some added tessellation.

Ironically console gamers will tout these changes as major while earlier they said the opposite when PC gamers were experiencing it a gen before.

During the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation they would say the differences between PC and consoles were minor and that higher than 480P resolution was minor.

Then when the 360/PS3/Wii generation game along they touted their "720P HD" resolution and higher resolution textures and laughed at the Wii's lower resolution and overall visuals.

Then a few years into the generation they went back to their same tune saying higher resolutions don't matter and the difference between PC and Console is minimal.

They will keep this cycle going for next generation.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

RyviusARC

that's honestly not impressive in the slightest.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

We saw substantial difference between the original xbox and 360 which had a 4 year gap. I'd expect an even larger difference with a 8 year gap. MFDOOM1983

This ^^ Next Gen PS4 and Xbox 720 are gonna blow us away.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 RyviusARC

ReadingRainbow4

Well then prepare for next gen consoles to dissappoint you.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

RyviusARC

Well then prepare for next gen consoles to dissappoint you.

your not going about this the best way possible honestly.

You do know crysis 2 and 3 were built around consoles also? With those low specs being a major consideration.

Choosing multiplats isn't really helping you here.

So yes, I am expecting some tricks especially when you consider that the ps4 is packing an 8 core cpu, with very fast ram. most consumers don't use gddr5.

we'll just have to wait for the 20th.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 RyviusARC

You do know crysis 2 and 3 were built around consoles also? With those low specs being a major consideration.

So yes, I am expecting some tricks especially when you consider that the ps4 is packing an 8 core cpu, with very fast ram. most consumers don't use gddr5.

ReadingRainbow4

No one knows the true specs of the consoles so stop phrasing it as fact.

Also the amount of cores do not indicated the power.

Higher core count means nothing if each core is very weak to begin with.

The Xbox 360 had 3 cores with 6 threads and it was weaker than the dual core two thread CPUs that came out at around same time.

Also it doesn't matter if Crysis 2 and 3 are built around consoles.

You could theorectically scale those games to work for the Xbox if you cut enough things out.

If it was a direct port you would be right but Crysis 3 has many features on PC that are not present on the 360.

And the version of Crysis 2 I am talking about is modded with much higher resolution textures and better environment model detail.

It also has much higher LOD, draw distance, shadows and lighting.

Last gen had an advantage that was the exception to the rule.

It had unified shaders.

This coming generation the consoles have nothing to offer for an upperhand.

It will have weaker hardware because of this (even if the rumors are true)

Crysis 2 at 1080P would already max out that rumored hardware.

Sure they can use more lower performance trickery like they did with this generation but the jump won't be there.

Even with the advantage of unified shaders last gen games like F.E.A.R. don't look much worse than console games from this gen.

And now without those advantages the gap will be even smaller.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 slipknot0129

RyviusARC

The Xbox 360 had 3 cores with 6 threads and it was weaker than the dual core two thread CPUs that came out at around same time.

You could theorectically scale those games to work for the Xbox if you cut enough things out.

If it was a direct port you would be right but Crysis 3 has many features on PC that are not present on the 360.

And the version of Crysis 2 I am talking about is modded with much higher resolution textures and better environment model detail.

It had unified shaders.

Sure they can use more lower performance trickery like they did with this generation but the jump won't be there.

Even with the advantage of unified shaders last gen games like F.E.A.R. don't look much worse than console games from this gen.

I can see Crysis 3 being what the launch games look like but there will be console games in the later life that blow Crysis 3 out of the water. 

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ReadingRainbow4

RyviusARC

It had unified shaders.

you're usually a level headed poster, so I don't understand why you are acting so hurt about all this.

Both consoles have been reported by numerous sources to use 8 core cpu's with the ps4 additionally using gddr5, these are credible rumors.

I'm just saying, I'm expecting some visual tricks we haven't seen this gen yet, that's the natural progression of things. especially when they take the CPU and increased ram in mind. PC games this gen barely used all 4 cores of a i7 as is. When we have games built around 8 cores? hell yeah I'm expecting much more.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]We saw substantial difference between the original xbox and 360 which had a 4 year gap. I'd expect an even larger difference with a 8 year gap. slipknot0129

Pc gamers think that their graphics are the pinacle of what graphics can be. Truth is the consoles will blow them out of the water. 

In the end i would rather have the amazing art+engine combo in console games, than generic looking PC games with a few extra graphical effects

I have come to the point where i cant even look at Crysis anymore, looks that boring in all its versions and simply has lost all appeal it once had, mainly because of the mediocre art that is constantly recycled though all Crysis games

Gears, God of War, Halo etc on the other hand never stop to impress me, even if they dont run in a GTX680 or have as many effects

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 RyviusARC

I can see Crysis 3 being what the launch games look like but there will be console games in the later life that blow Crysis 3 out of the water. 

slipknot0129

The Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't blow F.E.A.R. out of the water and that was when they had the huge advantage of unified shader tech at their disposal.

Sure they have games that look better but not "blow out" better.

This gen doesn't have an advantage like unified shaders so the gap will be even smaller.

Like I said modded Crysis 2 would already max out even the rumored console specs.

The only improvement you will see are newer techniques in lighting and uses of tessellation.

There will be some improvement in such things but the difference won't be staggering even years later into the gen.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 RyviusARC

In the end i would rather have the amazing art+engine combo in console games, than generic looking PC games with a few extra graphical effects

I have come to the point where i cant even look at Crysis anymore, looks that boring in all its versions and simply has lost all appeal it once had, mainly because of the mediocre art that is constantly recycled though all Crysis games

Gears, God of War, Halo etc on the other hand never stop to impress me, even if they dont run in a GTX680 or have as many effects

loosingENDS

Keep on trolling we need people like you for comedy pleasure.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

RyviusARC

The Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't blow F.E.A.R. out of the water and that was when they had the huge advantage of unified shader tech at their disposal.

Sure they have games that look better but not "blow out" better.

This gen doesn't have an advantage like unified shaders so the gap will be even smaller.

Like I said modded Crysis 2 would already max out even the rumored console specs.

The only improvement you will see are newer techniques in lighting and uses of tessellation.

There will be some improvement in such things but the difference won't be staggering even years later into the gen.

I never thought fear looked good as a game. Things like Gears of War make it look like a ps2 game. Yeah I expect far better things than whats on pc right now.     Pc games now are only what the launch games would look like on the consoles. It will be like going from Perfect Dark Zero to Gears of War 3. 

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RyviusARC

I never thought fear looked good as a game. Things like Gears of War make it look like a ps2 game. Yeah I expect far better things than whats on pc right now.     Pc games now are only what the launch games would look like on the consoles. It will be like going from Perfect Dark Zero to Gears of War 3. 

slipknot0129

That is your opinion.

My opinion is that even the best looking console games don't look substanstially better than F.E.A.R.

And I know about the limitations of hardware.

Like I said this coming gen consoles don't have an advantage like last gen did.

Gears of War on the Xbox didn't even look that good.

It had better models than F.E.A.R. but that was it.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

RyviusARC

Keep on trolling we need people like you for comedy pleasure.

I am just stating facts

PC has nothing like Bravely Default, Ni no Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Halo, Gears, God of War, ICo etc in the artistic department

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

RyviusARC

That is your opinion.

My opinion is that even the best looking console games don't look substanstially better than F.E.A.R.

And I know about the limitations of hardware.

Like I said this coming gen consoles don't have an advantage like last gen did.

Gears of War on the Xbox didn't even look that good.

It had better models than F.E.A.R. but that was it.

You need to have your eyes checked. 

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
PC has nothing like Bravely Default, Ni no Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Halo, Gears, God of War, ICo etc in the artistic departmentloosingENDS
I'm pretty sure the art from Halo and Halo 2 is pretty similar to the console version of Halo.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 RyviusARC

slipknot0129

I am rubber and you are glue......basically what your argument will turn into so I saved you time.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ReadingRainbow4

why do you keep mentioning fear man, that is one of the most bland games there is from a visual standpoint.

it's got great gameplay, but it's not a great looker.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I hope the jump is significant. Looking at blurry upscaled games with choppy frame rates has gotten very old. Going from native 1440p@60fps on PC and then seeing 600p upscaled to 1080p@25fps is disgusting.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 RyviusARC

why do you keep mentioning fear man, that is one of the most bland games there is from a visual standpoint.

ReadingRainbow4

It may not have great artistic value but technically is was great especially for it's time of release which was before the 360 or PS3.

The Xbox 360 got it a year later and couldn't even handle it at the highest settings.

It was mostly cubicals for the environment but that does not take away from it's technical aspects.

I use it as an example because it falls into the topic of discussion since it is a game from the gen before the 360 and PS3.

I could also use Spinter Cell Chaos Theory but I picked F.E.A.R instead.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]PC has nothing like Bravely Default, Ni no Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Halo, Gears, God of War, ICo etc in the artistic departmentPurpleMan5000
I'm pretty sure the art from Halo and Halo 2 is pretty similar to the console version of Halo.

I was talking about PC exclusives, obviouslly all games with good art are on consoles, multi included

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

RyviusARC

I am rubber and you are glue......basically what your argument will turn into so I saved you time.

That's deep brah! :shock:
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 slipknot0129

RyviusARC

It may not have great artistic value but technically is was great especially for it's time of release which was before the 360 or PS3.

The Xbox 360 got it a year later and couldn't even handle it at the highest settings.

It was mostly cubicals for the environment but that does not take away from it's technical aspects.

I use it as an example because it falls into the topic of discussion since it is a game from the gen before the 360 and PS3.

I could also use Spinter Cell Chaos Theory but I picked F.E.A.R instead.

It dont look anything close to games Like Gears of War 3 and Halo 4. Only further proves my point. 

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 RyviusARC

It dont look anything close to games Like Gears of War 3 and Halo 4. Only further proves my point. 

slipknot0129

That is your opinion.

My opinion is the difference is not that large.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Of course they say that, they want everyone and their mother to invest in UE4 and not stick with UE3 or go to other engines.
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

60FPS or GTFO consoles-RocBoys9489-

Dont expect 1080p and 60fps on all games. I can see some games sticking to 30fps to get more detail on their games.