Subnautica sound designer fired over resetera screeching

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56409 Posts

The struggle is real.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2092 Posts

@Gatygun said:

So what exactly got him/her fired which messages that are reactions on what?

Tried to read it for a while still couldn't figure it out. Just a bunch of upset people being upset it seems.

The guy basically said a bunch of stuff that the tech industry as a whole finds uncomfortable, Gender pay disparity the result of freedom of choice and the different choices men and women make, migrant increases and associated increases in crime, linked to the lower IQ's that are generally produced by the developing world and the correlation between low IQ's and crime, criticized gender identity activists with the good old classic attack helicopter meme etc. The one that landed him in trouble as far as I can tell though was a tweet suggesting a diversity slider should go into the game that as you increased it made your character progressively, darker, more feminine and less sexy.

All the other stuff can be argued away as that's his view to hold you can't compel someone to think otherwise etc., the slider tweet though directly involved the game and now the possibility exists that by suggesting what he did in his slider tweet he is potentially bringing both the game and his employer into disrepute, it also more than likely infringes a company social media policy, so they jettisoned him.

As far as I can tell users on reset era were essentially witch hunting this guy.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#53  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

I'm so confused with this thread. But, in my company if an employee of mine makes a public hateful comment it looks bad on my image. It is also part of the breach of contract. I have to fire the employee. That's not even debatable. You can keep your personal hateful views at your home.

What I do find troubling, is how in the last couple of years there are people who defend anyone who posts a hateful comment. Let's you know how we've turned backwards as a society.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sonny2dap said:
@Gatygun said:

Tried to read it for a while still couldn't figure it out. Just a bunch of upset people being upset it seems.

The guy basically said a bunch of stuff that the tech industry as a whole finds uncomfortable, Gender pay disparity the result of freedom of choice and the different choices men and women make, migrant increases and associated increases in crime, linked to the lower IQ's that are generally produced by the developing world and the correlation between low IQ's and crime, criticized gender identity activists with the good old classic attack helicopter meme etc. The one that landed him in trouble as far as I can tell though was a tweet suggesting a diversity slider should go into the game that as you increased it made your character progressively, darker, more feminine and less sexy.

All the other stuff can be argued away as that's his view to hold you can't compel someone to think otherwise etc., the slider tweet though directly involved the game and now the possibility exists that by suggesting what he did in his slider tweet he is potentially bringing both the game and his employer into disrepute, it also more than likely infringes a company social media policy, so they jettisoned him.

As far as I can tell users on reset era were essentially witch hunting this guy.

So essentially his ex-employer is pandering to a very loud and vocal minority.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@needhealing said:

I'm so confused with this thread. But, in my company if an employee of mine makes a public hateful comment it looks bad on my image. It is also part of the breach of contract. I have to fire the employee. That's not even debatable. You can keep your personal hateful views at your home.

What I do find troubling, is how in the last couple of years there are people who defend anyone who posts a hateful comment. Let's you know how we've turned backwards as a society.

What hateful comment did the guy made? Nothing but different political beliefs!

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Originally, I thought resetera was an animal in game and they were fired for the screeching noise it made. This thread title, though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

This heroic man has given an interview.

Loading Video...

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9564 Posts

Notable how the OP doesn't present what was actually said by this individual, but calls on everyone to denounce backlash.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9564 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@needhealing said:

What hateful comment did the guy made? Nothing but different political beliefs!

Ask the OP. The OP presents a case that everyone should defend this person (from social feedback? I disagree. From being fired? That's a different point.), but didn't even mention what was said. That's the first alarm.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@kjtc1979 said:
@Litchie said:
@Dasein808 said:

@Litchie: He offended the uselessocracy.

Yeah, but how? I don't get why we should have opinions here and there when no one knows what the hell is going on.

Kotaku has most of the details in their article. The characterization that it was Resetera users who got this guy fired is false, though they may have helped put the guy on the radar of his employers. Most places of employment have codes of conduct that their employees are expected to follow, especially when acting in a way that connects their job to their conduct. This particular user used the same Twitter account to identify himself as working for the company that he did for making the statements in question:

As of February 2, according to his Twitter feed, Chylinski had been working on a Subnautica expansion. Today he tweeted “So. I just got fired…” Game director Charlie Cleveland confirmed that Chylinski is no longer with developer Unknown Worlds, telling Kotaku, “Over the weekend we discovered that one of our team members had made many hateful statements online that are against our company values. After discussing the matter with him, we decided to stop working with him immediately.”

Lol.

Oh noes, a Polish guy mocked the SJW "diversity over quality" push, agreed with Paul Joeseph Watson on the state of Sweden, and repeated a trans/otherkin-idiocy meme.

Your inability to shrug off an "offensive" joke is beyond pathetic.

And no, the"characterization" that it was retardera users is absolutely true. They lit the bonfire and went on the wrongthink warpath over old tweets.

Those of you defending resetera as a bastion of intellectualism and not the goon inspired safe space that it is are absolutely hilarious.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Originally, I thought resetera was an animal in game and they were fired for the screeching noise it made. This thread title, though.

That's what I thought too. I've been reading this entire thread like wtf lol

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Jesus Christ. Reject Era sounds even worse than Neofag....what cesspools.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#64  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Is it possible that the SJW nonsense will never die? I'm seriously getting tired of seing people have their fate in line over their political views wich are too "offensive" for these snowflakes. I used to consider myself more left wing but these idiots have done a better job at destroying the "left" and leftists than the "right" ever dreamt of doing... ffs

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Is it possible that the SJW nonsense will never die? I'm seriously getting tired of seing people have their fate in line over their political views wich are too "offensive" for these snowflakes. I used to consider myself more left wing but these idiots have done a better job at destroying the "left" and leftists than the "right" ever dreamt of doing... ffs

ok calm down a tick.

Most of those stories end up being out right lies or gross distortions.

so calm the F down.

One of my favorites is the war on Christmas with the guy who wanted to outlaw Merry Xmas on the town busses in his town. only problem was...not only did he loose the case but it was in CANADA!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Goes without saying I'm against this censorship and I hope the developer gets a job really soon with a studio that still has a set of balls. If there are any left.

One day, in the not too far distant future, the chickens are going to come home to roost and all these people who got people fired and doxxed and outed people and stood for egregious, mental censorship are going to find themselves far on the wrong side of public opinion. They will wish they protected other people's rights then because their jobs will be in question. This SJW stuff is all a fad, and all fads fade.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts

@tryit said:
@Vatusus said:

ok calm down a tick.

so calm the F down.

One of my favorites is the war on Christmas with the guy who wanted to outlaw Merry Xmas on the town busses in his town. only problem was...not only did he loose the case but it was in CANADA!

Any proof on most being false because I can find tons that are true, the left are the ones that are banning conservatives from doing speeches/conferences at colleges just because they disagree with their view, they're ones assaulting people they believe are "Nazis" or "racist" just because of their political views, they're ones constantly doxxing people and unfortunately successfully getting people fired because of their political views. Getting people fired/destroying their life is the left's most common tactic of trying to eliminate people with different ideals.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@tryit said:
@Vatusus said:

ok calm down a tick.

so calm the F down.

Any proof on most being false because I can find tons that are true, the left are the ones that are banning conservatives from doing speeches/conferences at colleges just because they disagree with their view, they're ones assaulting people they believe are "Nazis" or "racist" just because of their political views, they're ones constantly doxxing people and unfortunately successfully getting people fired because of their political views. Getting people fired/destroying their life is the left's most common tactic of trying to eliminate people with different ideals.

I just gave you one.

That said, it has occurred to me this is not a political forum so we best both abort

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 NoodleFighter

@tryit: Yep I'd rather not get into politics on a gaming site

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@bussinrounds said:

Jesus Christ. Reject Era sounds even worse than Neofag....what cesspools.

I'll give NeoGAF a benefit of a doubt now. Tyler Malka is finally admitting what he did wrong that turned NeoGAF a toxic place for allowing his mods gain too much power and ban anyone they want without following guidelines.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DaVillain  Moderator

@NoodleFighter said:

Then you haven't step into Political Gamers forum here. It's basically SW without gaming discussion lol.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@davillain- said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Then you haven't step into Political Gamers forum here. It's basically SW without gaming discussion lol.

Let's take this on the lounge, but yeah, Political Gamers is completely 1 sided.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NoodleFighter

@davillain-: Oh no I've been around there but mostly just lurk

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
Loading Video...

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@tryit said:
@Vatusus said:

ok calm down a tick.

so calm the F down.

Yeah, all those poor people who got "doxxed" by attending a public Neo-nazi/white supremacist rally. That's really unfortunate

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 DrLostRib

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@davillain- said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Let's take this on the lounge, but yeah, Political Gamers is completely 1 sided.

which side?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@sonny2dap said:
@Gatygun said:

So this Restera forum is basically another Far Left Authoritarian place pretending they are super intelligent people?

Sounds great......

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DocSanchez

@MBirdy88: We could all sit and laugh but they get people fired for having different opinions. Has to be some push back.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DrLostRib

@lemmingslayer said:

Well it's good to see that the Gamespot forums didn't get infested with the SJW madness.

These autists cry about how Trump is a facist, yet the irony is they're the biggest facists of all.

When did it start being okay to use autism as a general insult, especially it seems for people who disagree with your pov? Did someone once tell you that you can't say retard anymore so you just decided to go with a more specific mental disability?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@DocSanchez said:

@MBirdy88: We could all sit and laugh but they get people fired for having different opinions. Has to be some push back.

What I tend to find, is you can't win arguments on the internet on big mind-changing subjects, people argue for their own amusement/self accomplishment whatever... this place is testament to that. Sure you can cause damage like they have, but you can't fix the underlying problems that got it to that point.

It reminds me of the Anita Sarkeesian BS a few years back, there was plenty of evidence that she didn't play video games, took courses on "how to make money out of people" and needed no money. yet SJW's and the Far Authoritan Left had much more power then.... the uprising of the right hadn't happened.

Yet in 2018, where the populations of most western countries are now bordering closer to middle / conflicted, we are starting to see this crap unravel. Mr Peterson was the first time I felt "Yea... this is how I saw it back then, why has it taken this long?".

It takes someone with a much stronger message than keyboard warriors like us lot, we can only re-enforce it afterwards.

Disclaimer - I am left leaning, I don't like Trump, the Tories, but also don't like Corbyn .. and far left authoritative leftist virtue signalling arseholes.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DaVillain  Moderator

I'm also amazed & surprise this thread hasn't been locked at all cause GS doesn't like anything to do with SJW of any kind and this thread is one of them.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DrLostRib

@davillain- said:

I'm also amazed & surprise this thread hasn't been locked at all cause GS doesn't like anything to do with SJW of any kind and this thread is one of them.

pretty sure almost none of the moderators are regularly active to quickly moderate things

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DaVillain  Moderator

@drlostrib said:
@davillain- said:

pretty sure almost none of the moderators are regularly active to quickly moderate things

Oh yes, I almost forgot the active one's are all on Discord. Oh well, can't be help.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

No idea what he said, but from a distance, it's all a bit...

Loading Video...

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@kjtc1979 said:
@UssjTrunks said:

You will get fired from any job if you express homophobic or racist views, especially publicly. And that's a good thing. People can be bigots in their own homes. But there is no room for that shit in the workplace, and your employer especially doesn't want to see that shit on Twitter where it can tarnish their brand.

This.

And the fact that there is more intelligent, meaningful in-depth discussion of video games in any given hour at Resetera than any given year on this forum is a timely reminder that the people who don't feel welcome at Resetera make it a better place through their absence.

That site is the most diseased ridden echo chamber I've ever been to. You should stay there.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DocSanchez

@MBirdy88: Sounds like politically we are on the same level. It's not particularly fun at the moment as I don't really have anyone to vote for. But I do sense a tide turning especially with the public at large. The chickens are restless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Well it's good to see that the Gamespot forums didn't get infested with the SJW madness.

These autists cry about how Trump is a facist, yet the irony is they're the biggest facists of all.

When did it start being okay to use autism as a general insult, especially it seems for people who disagree with your pov? Did someone once tell you that you can't say retard anymore so you just decided to go with a more specific mental disability?

Wow. I disappear for months and here you are still riding deez nuts :D Look lemkid, you don't want none of this. I owned you brutally enough before and that was me going easy on you. Don't make me hurt you.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DrLostRib

@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Wow. I disappear for months and here you are still riding deez nuts :D Look lemkid, you don't want none of this. I owned you brutally enough before and that was me going easy on you. Don't make me hurt you.

I literally have no clue who or what you're talking about

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Ah the alt that spouts "Autism" as an insult.

Thought you would of learned from your last alt @hawkeye44 ?

Gonna start posting epileptic shaking gifs? or more borefest Horizon gifs?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

https://imgur.com/a/B4KNn

Little obsessive, no?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

@MBirdy88 said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Ah the alt that spouts "Autism" as an insult.

Thought you would of learned from your last alt @hawkeye44 ?

Gonna start posting epileptic shaking gifs? or more borefest Horizon gifs?

lol, son you have no idea.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DrLostRib

@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Little obsessive, no?

...because I apparently responded to you 3 times, like 4 months ago? Whatever it was apparently didn't leave an impression

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:

Little obsessive, no?

...because I apparently responded to you 3 times, like 4 months ago? Whatever it was apparently didn't leave an impression

And yet here you are, my first post back.....waiting for me.

I'm flattered but again, I'm going to have to destroy you if you attempt to stand in my way. Don't try to be a hero and protect the Lemming faction, they belong to me now. You seem like a fakeboy anyway so just step aside and this will be swift and painless.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DrLostRib

@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@drlostrib said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Little obsessive, no?

And yet here you are, my first post back.....waiting for me.

I'm flattered but again, I'm going to have to destroy you if you attempt to stand in my way. Don't try to be a hero and protect the Lemming faction, they belong to me now. You seem like a fakeboy anyway so just step aside and this will be swift and painless.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DaVillain  Moderator

A LemmingSlayer?

Man, where does SW find weird folks around here?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 DocSanchez

@lemmingslayer: Weirdo. Grow up. No one knows who you are, and nobody cares or will care. Ever. Sit down, and shut up.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#99 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

If the developers/publishers want to get political, then give it back to them by not playing their game.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I thought it was common that you can get fired from your work for posting hate comments for years now? I was even thought that most companies do in fact snoop a person's facebook page to see what they are posting. I'm not sure how this any different in today's modern society.