Stupid Bioware, Mass Effect framerate is bad, and it got downgraded.

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 godhandiscen
Member since 2003 • 3454 Posts

I had a bad feeling not everything could be good news. Yeah, I am a graphics whore, and with such a little time before release, if the game cant hit 30fps it is obvious it just wont. @#$%%~!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3157785

Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts
lemms are calling this game the best looking game yet, yeah right.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts

I had a bad feeling not everything could be good news. Yeah, I am a graphics whore, and with such a little time before release, if the game cant hit 30fps it is obvious it just wont. @#$%%~!

godhandiscen
Framerate don't matter. It's the story that counts. LMAO that what the lemmings will say...
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
mind posting the part where they talked about framerate issues?
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
Crackdown had framerate problems a few months prior to release. When it came out, framerate issues were all but nonexistent.

Chances are, the issues will be ironed out by release time.
D0wnfall1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 D0wnfall1
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts
mind posting the part where they talked about framerate issues?lawlessx

And while we've been assured that the game is supposed to end up locked at 30 frames per second, right now it isn't hitting that. When the camera pans, there's some stuttering, some of the animations aren't quite complete and during the combat sequences we noticed some sputtering, as well.

It's in there.
godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 godhandiscen
And while we've been assured that the game is supposed to end up locked at 30 frames per second, right now it isn't hitting that. When the camera pans, there's some stuttering, some of the animations aren't quite complete and during the combat sequences we noticed some sputtering, as well. 1up
paskal1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 paskal1987
Member since 2004 • 164 Posts
Whatever it'll get fixed
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
lemms are calling this game the best looking game yet, yeah right.GermanShepard06

Nothings changed it still is the best looking game yet.. framerate issues can be fixed I hope..
godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 godhandiscen
Crackdown had framerate problems a few months prior to release. When it came out, framerate issues were all but nonexistent.

sonicmj1
I doubt it. Bioware has a bad habit of releasing game with horrible framerate such as Kotor. Jadeempire had a better framerate, but it was their second try with the console. I believe this will be the same.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[quote="1up"]And while we've been assured that the game is supposed to end up locked at 30 frames per second, right now it isn't hitting that. When the camera pans, there's some stuttering, some of the animations aren't quite complete and during the combat sequences we noticed some sputtering, as well. godhandiscen

"The only areas where Mass Effect currently suffers (keep in mind this is still an early build, with much optimization left before the game ships) are the direct result of how impressively it succeeds. The cinematic qualities that blur backgrounds around characters place greater focus on the Unreal Engine 3-powered characters. The usual 'uncanny valley' suspects surface here, only because we have the frame of reference for how people's mouths should look, how their bodies should move, and how their eyes should look. That last part particularly stood out this time. The bright, realistic eyes that defined Mass Effect's E3 footage, have faded somewhat in this latest build. They lack the same life we saw last May. Is this a design change or a downgrade? It's hard to say."

godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 godhandiscen

[QUOTE="godhandiscen"][quote="1up"]And while we've been assured that the game is supposed to end up locked at 30 frames per second, right now it isn't hitting that. When the camera pans, there's some stuttering, some of the animations aren't quite complete and during the combat sequences we noticed some sputtering, as well. lawlessx

"The only areas where Mass Effect currently suffers (keep in mind this is still an early build, with much optimization left before the game ships) are the direct result of how impressively it succeeds. The cinematic qualities that blur backgrounds around characters place greater focus on the Unreal Engine 3-powered characters. The usual 'uncanny valley' suspects surface here, only because we have the frame of reference for how people's mouths should look, how their bodies should move, and how their eyes should look. That last part particularly stood out this time. The bright, realistic eyes that defined Mass Effect's E3 footage, have faded somewhat in this latest build. They lack the same life we saw last May. Is this a design change or a downgrade? It's hard to say."

I am a lemming, and I am anxious about this title. Maybe I am overexagerating, but if they f this up with a crappy framerate then I will be very dissapointed. The game look great, they dun need to add more graphical things, please down grade it, but dont mess up the framerate, specially in a game with shooting sequences.

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
It was a positive preview. There was no indication that it won't hit 30 fps. I agree that Bioware is not known for smooth framerates, but I still have hope for 30 fps. Microsoft should send a team of engineers to clean the code.
rykaziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rykaziel
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts
The only areas where Mass Effect currently suffers (keep in mind this is still an early build, with much optimization left before the game ships) are the direct result of how impressively it succeeds. The cinematic qualities that blur backgrounds around characters place greater focus on the Unreal Engine 3-powered characters. The usual 'uncanny valley' suspects surface here, only because we have the frame of reference for how people's mouths should look, how their bodies should move, and how their eyes should look. That last part particularly stood out this time. The bright, realistic eyes that defined Mass Effect's E3 footage, have faded somewhat in this latest build. They lack the same life we saw last May. Is this a design change or a downgrade? It's hard to say.

Another area of concern.  To be honest, the "uncanny valley" is something that plagues most realistic games, but you get used it after a while.  I have complete confidence in Bioware to make this game amazing.  Remember that KOTOR had framerate issues too, and it didn't stop it from becoming the best Star Wars game ever created, nor did it stop it from being an amazing experience.  If faded eyes, some hiccups, and a few wonky animations are all we are complaining about, I think that is a good sign.
-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts
You do know that most of that is done in the last months of development right....

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dahaka-UK
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]Crackdown had framerate problems a few months prior to release. When it came out, framerate issues were all but nonexistent.

godhandiscen
I doubt it. Bioware has a bad habit of releasing game with horrible framerate such as Kotor. Jadeempire had a better framerate, but it was their second try with the console. I believe this will be the same.

how is it a bad habit if they've only done it once.
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
Guys they said it was still an early build.  No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon.  1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade.  Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky.  
HazeNPopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HazeNPopes
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts

Oh no!

godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 godhandiscen

Guys they said it was still an early build.  No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon.  1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade.  Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky.  sirk1264

I am picky because this game was supposed to be "perfect". Seriously, if they give me anything less than high AAA I am gonna be a pissed lemming.

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
Guys they said it was still an early build. No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon. 1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade. Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky. sirk1264
Jeff was nit picking about the eys and mouth in VF5. read the review.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
I haven't seen or even heard of any frame rate problems before. : l Regaurdless there's still alot of time to fix crap like that.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

mind posting the part where they talked about framerate issues?lawlessx

It's towards the bottom, apparently they experienced some stutters while they panned the camera and such. Oh and what's wrong with 30 fps? Most people can't even tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sirk1264

[QUOTE="sirk1264"]Guys they said it was still an early build. No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon. 1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade. Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky. godhandiscen

I am picky because this game was supposed to be "perfect". Seriously, if they give me anything less than high AAA I am gonna be a pissed lemming.

Well remember 1up claimed it was an early build.  So when the final version comes out and its downgraded then you can complain.  As for now lets be patient.  I'm sure the framerate issue will be fixed in the last month. 
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sirk1264
[QUOTE="sirk1264"]Guys they said it was still an early build. No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon. 1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade. Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky. shungokustasu
Jeff was nit picking about the eys and mouth in VF5. read the review.

yea well i played VF5 and the mouth doesn't correspond with the words so i'm sorry but he is right.  Plus the voice acting is so cheesy that its annoying. 
-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts

[QUOTE="sirk1264"]Guys they said it was still an early build. No need to jump on the downgrade bandwagon. 1up doesn't even know if its a downgrade. Plus it only has to do with eyes i mean come on now aren't we getting a little picky. godhandiscen

The game still looks fantastic, and you don't buy a bioware game for the graphics... you buy it for the story.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dahaka-UK
too many graphics whore haunt this thread like they do to all threads
snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]Crackdown had framerate problems a few months prior to release. When it came out, framerate issues were all but nonexistent.

godhandiscen

i have to disagree, jade empire dipped pretty PRETTY low you can even see that in videos, its so choppy, KOTOR wasnt that bad to me, it ran 30fps most of the time, it dipped a little when theres alot of particles and people onscreen, but man just watching those jade empire vids, when theres reflective surfaces and fancy moves going on, i swear it dipped below 10.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
If the framerate and graphics were perfect, it would be out already. When Bioware has technical problems, they fix them.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
It would be a shame to see a game with so much potential and possibly a wonderful story be bogged down with a bad frame rate.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
We got what 2 months before it launches? I have a feeling these frame rate problems won't be completely eradicated but I hope they don't detract too much from the game.
joe_g_patton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 joe_g_patton
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts
I'm downgrading Mass Effect as a result of this BS so that the cow ownage will be maximized when Jeffy gives it a 9.7.
Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts
it hasn't been released yet. they still have 2 1/2 months. pass judgement then. contain your fears young one, for all is not lost...have faith.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
By the most part it was quite a positive preview. But yes you're right, they will need to fix that.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
Tweaking and optimization takes place in the last six months of development. That's why I keep saying that games that have to undergo gameplay mechanic changes but otherwise run smooth with less than six months to go are in worse shape than games that have a few performance glitches but are otherwise mostly complete in terms of their game mechanics.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

These are the few times when women (and fanboys) scare me. You're now demanding High AAA? Same as sheep demanding high AAA of TP. I think you need to drop your hype meter for this game down just a tad. I'm HOPING for a near perfect game in Mass Effect as well. But if it doesn't score that, will I be pissed? No. I'm still going to buy the game and enjoy it. To say that you're going to be pissed because SOMEONE ELSE didn't give the game high AAA, that's not good. SOTC didn't even get AAA, yet I consider it one of the best games of last gen. You should do the same with Mass Effect no matter what it scores.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

godhandiscen
Umm they know about all the issues with the game. they are goint to fix it.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
I don't doubt Bioware for a second.  You'll all come running when Mass Effect drops & rocks the hell out of 360 owners.
obi_kenobi24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 obi_kenobi24
Member since 2003 • 119 Posts
Bioware Responds To the 1up Preview; Quote: We're actually pretty proud of the eyes in Mass Effect, so I think it was just a mistake or something. If there was anything wrong with them, it would have had to be specific to that build (minor problems do arise from time to time). As far as the frame rate and such "minor quibbles", what the folks at GDC saw was a build of the game. It wasn't some special build made to show off progress or hype up a particular feature. It was what gets made daily around here. Sometimes the builds work great, sometimes they have a few small flaws, sometimes they explode like supernovas sending the team into hysterics trying to fix it. These things happen. Generally the game gets better and better with each passing build (barring Nova-type builds, but these get fixed darned fast). The game is not optimized yet (as mentioned). It will still get multiple layers of polish and optimization before you fans get your hands on it. Personally, I'm really pleased that the only thing 1Up could find to complain about was stuff that I know will be fixed before we ship the game. They are well aware of these little problems and their whole dev time left is pretty much just polishing
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
You do know that most of that is done in the last months of development right....

-DarthVader-
Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
Gears had frame rate issues for what seemed like weeks before launch, but they got cleared up.
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
[QUOTE="godhandiscen"]

shungokustasu

Framerate don't matter. It's the story that counts. LMAO that what the lemmings will say...

DUDE friggen MOTORSTORM drops to crappy fps all the time and it flopped hard.

Subacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Subacious
Member since 2006 • 345 Posts
Why does everyone find the need to ****

If you knew anything about game development, you'd know that optimization is one of the last things done. The game will be fine, it has plenty of time 'till release
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts
lol at cows...that's why the game is still in development...i'd join in and bash it with you if it was released in its current state but alas it is not, and i have no doubt bioware will have the problems fixed by release
BloodTorment1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BloodTorment1
Member since 2005 • 2580 Posts

lol at cows...that's why the game is still in development...i'd join in and bash it with you if it was released in its current state but alas it is not, and i have no doubt bioware will have the problems fixed by releasemwa

I agree

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
Gears had frame rate issues for what seemed like weeks before launch, but they got cleared up.Sooshy
During my playthrough of Gears of War, the frame rate would get a bit sporadic is some areas and it would stutter in others.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"][QUOTE="godhandiscen"]

CPM_basic

DUDE friggen MOTORSTORM drops to crappy fps all the time and it flopped hard.

Motorstorm doesn't have award-winning storytellers and epic scope to compensate.
hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

That was on a early build, with nothing but optimization left in the next 2 1/2 ish months...thats a lot of time to optimize a game when its really just frame rate your working on.