Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

If someone is going to compare fighting games, shouldn't it be.....like Guilty Gear vs Everything else?

savebattery

Mark of the Wolves blows any Guilty Gear title out of the water, and you're talking to a guy who plays Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus religiously.

As someone who has played just about every fighting game out there to an unhealthy amount I wholehartedly agree with this statement.

GG still is awesome though, and I prefer it to all of the current generations fighting games.

Though on topic - They might both be arcade fighting games but they are in completely opposite directions, so I don't really think they should be compared. Though from a technical standpoint, Street fighter's gameplay is much deeper and more balanced. Not to mention seeing someone get their digitized spine ripped out is not nearly as amazing as it was when MK first came out.

Personally, I prefer Street Fighter.

Avatar image for Natural_Fighter
Natural_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Natural_Fighter
Member since 2009 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="Natural_Fighter"]

Street Fighter is better with controls and balanced combat, in my opinion. I've never really understood why MK is as popular as it is. I have a younger sibling that is buying the game strictly because of violent fatalities that have been reused since the beginning of the series. Spine rip, acid spit, etc, etc. If I really feel the urge to watch them then I'll just save my money and look them up on youtube or something.

sandbox3d

That's how it got popular. At the time of the first MK those blue screen graphics were simply jaw dropping, but the real claim to fame was the over the top blood and gore. I was part of that young dumb demographic that helped propel MK unwarranted heights.

Its much like the God of War series. There is nothing noteworthy about the gameplay, but the graphics are great and the brutal nature of the game just sucks people in.

I can't say that I'm a die hard GoW fan either but you can't really compare the two. GoW is continued brutality from start to finish with a thrown together story. MK is basically the same except you have to battle for sixty seconds just so you can use the same fatalities over and over. I've never really been one to simply spend sixty dollars just to watch a five second animation of someone getting there body ripped limb from limb.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

Street Fighter is better with controls and balanced combat, in my opinion. I've never really understood why MK is as popular as it is. I have a younger sibling that is buying the game strictly because of violent fatalities that have been reused since the beginning of the series. Spine rip, acid spit, etc, etc. If I really feel the urge to watch them then I'll just save my money and look them up on youtube or something.

Natural_Fighter

That's how it got popular. At the time of the first MK those blue screen graphics were simply jaw dropping, but the real claim to fame was the over the top blood and gore. I was part of that young dumb demographic that helped propel MK unwarranted heights.

Its much like the God of War series. There is nothing noteworthy about the gameplay, but the graphics are great and the brutal nature of the game just sucks people in.

I can't say that I'm a die hard GoW fan either but you can't really compare the two. GoW is continued brutality from start to finish with a thrown together story. MK is basically the same except you have to battle for sixty seconds just so you can use the same fatalities over and over. I've never really been one to simply spend sixty dollars just to watch a five second animation of someone getting there body ripped limb from limb.

Same attraction, different times. Sure GoW has more substance, but do you think it would be as popular as it is today without the great visuals and over the top violence? Probably not.

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts

Street Fighter easily. I just like basically everything about it better, and it helps that it has such a strong competitive scene.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

I like both, but I prefer Mortal Kombat and am very excited for the new one coming out. Street Fighter is fun but gets old fast and feels shallow to me. Mortal Kombat feels deeper to me, maybe thats because I like more of the characters than Ryu 1, 2, 3 :P.

sandbox3d

Oh man, I think me and you have agreed in just about every discussion I know of, but I guess this is where we part ways. :P

Calling SF shallow and then turning around to call MK deep is just mind boggling to me.

And I'm not sure if Ryu 1, 2, 3 is alluding to the different shotos like Ken and Akuma, but if so you are pretty far off man.

In the first 2 MK games the only things that differentiated the characters was a few special moves. Outside of that they all had the exact same movesets. Same for MK3 besides the dial a combo system.

In SF the characters are all completely different. Even the shotos may look the same and have similar looking moves, but if you go in as Akuma trying to play out a match like Ryu you will see the losing screen quickly.

Lol ok well I think my interpretation of shallow and deep are a bit different than usual. I mean....well Streetfighter has almost nothing to it except fighting. I personally don't like as many characters in the series as MK's. Street Fighter is ALL about the fighting. I feel that MK is kind of...meatier lol if that makes any sense. I just feel that SF is the opitomy of an arcade fighter which is great, but shallow in the amount to do and learn, rather it takes TONS of time and skill in the nitty gritty details of fighting, which makes it quite the skill intensive fighter.

I just prefer MK's style and feel, its a blast and so much fun to play. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is indeed my favorite one :P.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#56 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
MK,I prefer the lore,the characters,the soundtracks and the fast style of gameplay.
Avatar image for Natural_Fighter
Natural_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Natural_Fighter
Member since 2009 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

Same attraction, different times. Sure GoW has more substance, but do you think it would be as popular as it is today without the great visuals and over the top violence? Probably not.

I agree with you on that.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

I like both, but I prefer Mortal Kombat and am very excited for the new one coming out. Street Fighter is fun but gets old fast and feels shallow to me. Mortal Kombat feels deeper to me, maybe thats because I like more of the characters than Ryu 1, 2, 3 :P.

NaveedLife

Oh man, I think me and you have agreed in just about every discussion I know of, but I guess this is where we part ways. :P

Calling SF shallow and then turning around to call MK deep is just mind boggling to me.

And I'm not sure if Ryu 1, 2, 3 is alluding to the different shotos like Ken and Akuma, but if so you are pretty far off man.

In the first 2 MK games the only things that differentiated the characters was a few special moves. Outside of that they all had the exact same movesets. Same for MK3 besides the dial a combo system.

In SF the characters are all completely different. Even the shotos may look the same and have similar looking moves, but if you go in as Akuma trying to play out a match like Ryu you will see the losing screen quickly.

Lol ok well I think my interpretation of shallow and deep are a bit different than usual. I mean....well Streetfighter has almost nothing to it except fighting. I personally don't like as many characters in the series as MK's. Street Fighter is ALL about the fighting. I feel that MK is kind of...meatier lol if that makes any sense. I just feel that SF is the opitomy of an arcade fighter which is great, but shallow in the amount to do and learn, rather it takes TONS of time and skill in the nitty gritty details of fighting, which makes it quite the skill intensive fighter.

I just prefer MK's style and feel, its a blast and so much fun to play. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is indeed my favorite one :P.

I can see that. I always thought it was cool that MK had so much more lore and all the hidden secrets and characters, stage fatalities, hidden fatalities, etc.. And I always thought the MK characters (from the first 3 games at least) were cooler than those in SF. I'm a grown man and still think Scorpion and Sub Zero are bad ass! :P

And UMK3 is just a blast to play so I wont argue there. I know we arent supposed to discuss this stuff, but....MAME. Best way to play UMK3 at home, besides my buddy that has the old cabinet in his garage.

But yeah, in the sense that the MK games have many layers outside of just pure combat, I can see what you meant by depth.

And my fellow SF fans dont kill me! I know SF has a lot of story and character background, but I never really cared for it.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts

I can see that. I always thought it was cool that MK had so much more lore and all the hidden secrets and characters, stage fatalities, hidden fatalities, etc.. And I always thought the MK characters (from the first 3 games at least) were cooler than those in SF. I'm a grown man and still think Scorpion and Sub Zero are bad ass! :P

And UMK3 is just a blast to play so I wont argue there. I know we arent supposed to discuss this stuff, but....MAME. Best way to play UMK3 at home, besides my buddy that has the old cabinet in his garage.

But yeah, in the sense that the MK games have many layers outside of just pure combat, I can see what you meant by depth.

And my fellow SF fans dont kill me! I know SF has a lot of story and character background, but I never really cared for it.

sandbox3d

yeah Sub-zero and scorpion are indeed bad asses, and I could see how one would prefer the lore of MK to SF.

Just to me I play fighting games to you know fight? MK doesn't provide the amount of depth to its fighting that I like.

Not to mention I always felt like MK character felt like robots while fighting and even the 3D games felt that way, it was like playing a violent version of rock em sock em robots(New MK looks no different from that robotic figthing, but I'd give it a shot most likely).

I do have a lot of fond memories of pulling off fatalities against friends when I was younger though. It was so fun.

Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

[QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="110million"] I agree. I'm more excited for SFIII: Third Strike on PSN/XBL release than MvC3 for example. :P 110million
I don't want any more re-releases. Capcom needs to improve or die off. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is going to share a lot in common with TvC, which I consider a good thing. Sure, TvC has a simplified input interface, but the core fighting is still loads better than Street Fighter IV or BlazBlue. Though I am really most excited for The King of Fighter XIII.

Yeah, was sad with how KoFXII turned out, looks like they scrapped everything for KoFXIII, which is nice. KoF series is tied for first place with another series for my favorite fighter.

is tekken the other series you were talking about. come on throw me a bone i'm shooting blanks here

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
Street Fighter >= King of Fighters >= Samurai Shodown >= Capcom Vs. > Virtua Fighter > Dead or Alive > Tekken > Mortal Kombat The only Mortal Kombat game that really, honestly made me pay a lot of attention to it was Mortal Kombat 2.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

If someone is going to compare fighting games, shouldn't it be.....like Guilty Gear vs Everything else?

OneSanitarium
I agree with this man. On topic, Mortal Kombat. It's just fun.
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Easily Street fighter though its not the best fighting game.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Easily Street fighter though its not the best fighting game.

Kashiwaba
What is it then for you?
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#65 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Mortal kombat

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

I just bought super street fighter 4 but I havent played it yet but I will soon. And the only mk game i have is mk2 and I enjoy it a lot. So Idk yet

ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts
I used to like both, but Street Fighter was always better. Mortal Kombat is more about over the top action, whereas Street Fighter was a tournament fighter. These days, however, I don't care for either. (Super) Street Fighter IV doesn't hold a candle to Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, or Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX.savebattery
why do you like street fighter 3 so much? i played it on xbox and the parry is broken with the right competitor,the characters were strange and it went all x-men with the mutants.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

DarkLink77
I agree with this man. On topic, Mortal Kombat. It's just fun.

I find it odd that someone who likes GG so much can like MK. :P That said, GG is by far my most played fighter series ever, since I have at least a handful of friends who are all around my skill level, and thats whats most important. :P I would say Accent Core+ >>>> All fighters this gen.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
As a universe, MK is considerably more interesting. But it's not even half the fighter SF is. Super Street Fighter 4 alone is better than every MK game in the franchise.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

Luxen90

Not to mention I always felt like MK character felt like robots while fighting

There even are robots in Mortal Kombat :P

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
I prefer Street fighter 'cause of the cooler looking characters. That's pretty much it...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
This isn't even a debate. Street Fighter obliterates Mortal Kombat. Assuming you actually like good fighting games.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#73 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I enjoyed these games, but never got into the whole master the gameplay techniques. It's just not intersting for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#74 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
This isn't even a debate. Street Fighter obliterates Mortal Kombat. Assuming you actually like good fighting games. jg4xchamp
MK is a good fighting game. It may not necessarily take the skill SF does, but it is a good fighting game.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#75 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]This isn't even a debate. Street Fighter obliterates Mortal Kombat. Assuming you actually like good fighting games. bez2083
MK is a good fighting game. It may not necessarily take the skill SF does, but it is a good fighting game.

Really not fun when I'm being blocked from irritating other people with my posts bez :|

..erm not that I would ever intentionally annoy, offend, or irritate members of my favorite internet community: The gamespot system wars.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I prefer Street fighter 'cause of the cooler looking characters. That's pretty much it...jack00

I think the opposite, namely that MK chars look "cooler" :)

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#77 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
MK is badass. Can't wait for the new one. Never played SF before.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
Never got into mortal kombat, played SF for as long as i can remember... I'm a sucker for the japanese too.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#79 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Street Fighter is Easier than Mortal Kombat.

That's why.