'Story Based Games Don't Have The Same Impact They Used To Have,' Says Phil Spencer

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Many people have claimed singleplayer games will go away. And that multiplayer and always connected is the future.

But guess what, they didn't go away.

There is just something to a singleplayer game that can't be experienced in multiplayer. (and vice versa)

If I'm quite honest Phil is starting to sound more and more like that clown Don Mattrick. Maybe being the head of Xbox for a while just has that effect on people ?

http://wccftech.com/343i-halo-5-mistake-master-chief/

Doubling down on Master Chief story and the amount of focus on him was probably the easiest learning from Halo 5. That was a really simple thing to absorb and embrace.

343's Studio Head Kiki Wolfkill and Franchise Director Frank O’Connor plans to "doubling down" Master Chief's story with Halo 6.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

@spitfire-six said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Many people have claimed singleplayer games will go away. And that multiplayer and always connected is the future.

But guess what, they didn't go away.

There is just something to a singleplayer game that can't be experienced in multiplayer. (and vice versa)

If I'm quite honest Phil is starting to sound more and more like that clown Don Mattrick. Maybe being the head of Xbox for a while just has that effect on people ?

I dont know your rational behind what you said is pretty stupid maybe your outlook on Phil is skewed by your own stupidity.

If you are soley on these forums to call people stupid twice in the same sentence, I don't think System Wars is really for you ;)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: Oh so you're also mentally deficient and have no idea, kinda what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#154 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Phil Spencer may have raised everyone's hopes when he promised more first party games for Xbox, but you should expect more multiplayer focused, games as a service style titles, if anything else. Clarifying his position on this matter in an interview with The Guardian, Spencer noted that while games like Horizon and Zelda have done well, the economics of the modern market mean that story based single player games don't make as much sense now as they might have once.

"The audience for those big story-driven games... I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent," he said. "You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind."

Now, I absolutely disagree with him on this- not just because single player story based games have been dominating all discourse and sales charts in the last few months. From Resident Evil 7, Nioh, NieR Automata, to of course, the big wigs, such as Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Mass Effect Andromeda- story based single player games absolutely have a market, and Xbox is choosing to willingly forego that market. I have to say this pretty plainly, if this is the direction the Xbox brand wishes to go in, then I will have no interest in it any longer.

Why is it not a surprise to hear a person who never had his hands deep into development of games other than on the business side of things, talk about numbers and sales and almost "doom" Single player story games.

But i have no problem with Microsoft dropping SP games, Sony and Nintendo and couple of the big 3 publishers/developers is still around and they have no problem focusing on this, not to mention that there are tons of indie devs out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#155 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@charizard1605: nice one, because you didn't give the whole context, and explain it properly 90% of the forum who can't read properly thinks Phil Spencer dislikes SP games, and doesn't want them on the Xbox...

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@mirgamer said:

The thing is, he made it sound as if single player games are on their last legs and its all multiplayer-driven in the future.

Which is untrue, because as much as multiplayer-focused games are driving the top sales, single player games still, and looks like it'll continue, making records and garnering a huge amount of attention.

You cannot help but think Phil is using his position to try and influence the thinking and position of the gaming industry to support the direction his company is taking, that is, support for more multiplayer focused games and abandoning single player experience, because everyone knows thats where Sony and Nintendo shine the brightest, their single player games.

Sony cleverly started making more open world games for the Playstation. Sony/ Playstation single player experiences are mostly the same thing nowadays. Days Gone, God of War , Horizon are open world.

If Microsoft is moving away from making big single player experiences. You can say the same for Sony, they have moved away from Multiplayer/ Service based experiences, and now just make single player games.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By loe12k

@FastRobby said:

@charizard1605: nice one, because you didn't give the whole context, and explain it properly 90% of the forum who can't read properly thinks Phil Spencer dislikes SP games, and doesn't want them on the Xbox...

Phil Explains he's position here.

I’ve looked at things like Netflix and HBO, where great content has been created because there’s this subscription model. Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn’t have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes.”

We’ve got to understand that if we enjoy those games, the business opportunity has to be there for them. I love story-based games. I just finished [LucasArts-inspired RPG] Thimbleweed Park – I thought it was a fantastic game. Inside was probably my game of last year. As an industry, I want to make sure both narrative-driven single-player games and service-based games have the opportunity to succeed. I think that’s critical for us.”

Spencer feels there are also design issues with a lot of mainstream single-player games. They tend to be part of long legacy franchises, and they rely too much on assumed knowledge about control interfaces and game conventions. “As creators, we’ve got to think about accessibility of the content that we build. Our big narrative story-driven games are in some ways less accessible. They may be the nth iteration of a story that, if you didn’t play the first and minus-one versions you don’t feel connected to. From a mechanics standpoint, they know the core audience has been playing games since PS1, and they just assume you’re a master with a controller.”

“It’s why I really applaud teams like Telltale Games who have taken an interesting approach to narrative-driven games. They pick stories that people already know, like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, and build a mechanic that’s accessible. From a core standpoint, we may say is, ‘Ah, it’s kind of quick-time events.

Is that a real game?,’ but if you think about broadening the audience, you can’t assume that somebody can left-click down on the stick and hold the right trigger and then hit Y over and over in order to solve some problem. As developers, we need to think about how to broaden our audience.”

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#158 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

lol

So let me guess: SP based Xbox exclusives such as Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ryse, Dead Rising 3/4, RotTR, etc were commercial and/or critical flops so he assumes there isnt a market for SP based games...

MS being MS. No SP games, no buy for me cause I wont pay for an online service to play MP games. I'll have PC for that

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#159  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@charizard1605: hilarious since some of the most critically successful games this gen (Uncharted 4, Witcher 3, Zelda, Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout 4, MGSV) have been single player focused compared to titles like Destiny, The Division, Wildlands, Evolve, etc.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#160 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

No story based games means no buy for me.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

It's not necessarily what I want and I think it's a bad look for Phil and MS to be so up front about it (shit at least feign some interest in the single player story-driven games that some gamers want), but the majority of game sales are from multiplayer driven games.

I think a healthy mix of both is important, but casual gamers aren't picking up Nioh, Zelda or Persona. They're picking up CoD, Madden and Fifa.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Do Nintendo and Sony execs not speak to media?

Serious question.

We get a 'Phil said this' article almost daily across games media.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Not sure how he can say that when PS4 the home of story based games is selling like a treasure trove for Sony. :P

Mass Effect Andromeda even though it selling okay, argubly suffered in sales due to it's shallow writing compared to the first 3 games. :P Story more than ever is a highly important aspect to any game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#164 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@vfighter said:

@Pedro: Oh so you're also mentally deficient and have no idea, kinda what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

You and the other posters can't read and comprehend if you are coming to that asinine conclusion from the article. Its not good to brag about your ineptness.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#165  Edited By ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Can't say I agree. I want more games like The Witcher 3, TES, The Last of Us and so forth. These kinds of games always deliver the most enjoyment for me.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#166  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@FastRobby said:

The clickbaity title also was also glorious.

People didnt read the article and the cows stampede.

Mod level troll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@lrdfancypants said:

Do Nintendo and Sony execs not speak to media?

Serious question.

We get a 'Phil said this' article almost daily across games media.

Its just MS trying their best to stay relevant

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#168  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@manticored said:
@metalslimenite said:
@manticored said:

That's the exact sentiments that Gabe Newell expressed, and he wasn't wrong, multiplayer focused experiences have blown up dramatically beyond single player potential.

The new Zelda and Persona games outclass even the best multiplayer focused game to date.

Not in terms of replayability and sales metrics.

In terms of replayibility, Zelda absolutely outdoes any multiplayer game ever.

I think I've shared with you how much I love Zelda but no way. You gotta be a real social awkward to want to sit and play Zelda games over and over rather than the unpredictability of PvP in a great MP game. That sounds like some weirdo shit, bro.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@lrdfancypants: MS has their backs to a wall with the Switch taking off the way it has. Phil will talk to any microphone handed to him at least until they get scorpio on shelves.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Shewgenja

@FastRobby: You're right, how dare Char not interperet the undisciplined ramblings of a ceo who just gave Scalebound the axe the way YOU want to comfortably digest it! The outrage!

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Phil is right.

U4, Nioh, bloode borne, ect I don't hear about these games anymore, they virtually left 0 impact in the industry.

Single player games are niche.. you need that MP component.. like GTA V.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@mark1974 said:

It's clear that Xbox single player games have not been doing well. It's clear from their Xbox reveal the situation they would like to see. They want games as a service and to sell DLC. They want that money. And I don't think Char is getting the wrong read on this. Go read the 14 page thread on GAF about the same thing and you will see quite a consensus from people.

Not really, before Quantum Break went multiplat, I actually enjoy the single player and I thought it was good for a MS game in a very long time but the execution was it's own problem to some who have played it but other then that, Quantum Break was really fun for it's single player if you ask me.

Sadly, I don't see MS going for another single player like Quantum Break offer.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@davillain-: I think they need to keep trying to make single player games and accept that they are going to have some failures but down the line it will eventually pay off when they get a hit. Sony seems willing to do that anyway and it's working for them. I think Microsoft is short sighted and just wants the quick easy money. It's like they want to make sure they get the maximum profit from the most minimal effort. But there is a reason why I am just a forum poster and not CEO.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Here is the actual quote about any potential aversion to large story-based games:

“The audience for those big story-driven games... I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” says Spencer. “You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind.”

He's not wrong and I can understand why, Zelda is a guaranteed seller, so is anything by Naughty Dog. Beyond that, it is a huge risk, and there are countless failed examples, Prey probably being the next one but I'm hope I'm wrong cause I see Prey has potential.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#177 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@FastRobby: You're right, how dare Char not interperet the undisciplined ramblings of a ceo who just gave Scalebound the axe the way YOU want to comfortably digest it! The outrage!

Urg Scalebound again? Really? The dev sucked, they didn't meet deadlines, and it was already over budget. That's just business. And here he's not quoted properly, and context hasn't been given. As if Spencer is going to say that he doesn't want story driven SP anymore for Xbox, doesn't make any sense since he's indeed the leader of Xbox so he likes EVERY game. That's practically his job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

And this is why I no longer take anything Phil says seriously. At this point I believe he's just a con-man who was just given his position to clear up bad images Mattrick left while doing nothing.

At this point MS is better off just getting outta the console market. How can someone who claims they're a "gamer" say something this ridiculous??? Telltale games alone debunks this crap.

Edit: At this point the Switch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Scorpio.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#179 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Exclusives shouldn't be in the most commerical genres, becuase third partys will make those anyway. Exclusives should be of the "can't get this anywhere else" -kind. Multiplayer focused shooter in a service package like the Division, Destiny etc are clearly money making monsters, but what's the point of MS making another game like that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

@mowgly1 said:

Let's see....Uncharted 4, Zelda : Breath Of The Wild, Witcher 3, The Last Of Us, Horizon : Zero Dawn, Nioh, Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV and so on. Looks like Phil likes to talk bullshit over and over. And his lovely Xbone fanbase swallow his shit over and over.

Yep...

This is why NO ONE takes the Xbox fanbase seriously when it comes to gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Phil spencer is in full DC mode, all his single player games flopped liek ryse and sunset overdrive so hes pissed

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Well hearing what Phil had to say pretty much explains why Xb1 is a failure and most of their AAA exclusives had flopped (GEOW, QB, RECORE and HALO)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#183  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Just seeing this. Give me a break. It may be true that the hugest cash cows are mp games with dlc goodies slowly iv dripped over a few years. But if that is the vast majority of your portfolio your game business may remain solvent but it certainly won't inspire the loyalty from a broad consumer base that having those titles PLUS deep (mechanically or narratively or both) sp games would. Any argument against having a diverse portfolio catering to different types of gamers and even different moment to moment moods for a given customer has to just be damage control. It can't be a serious pitch to us as consumers

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I wonder how many people in here actually read the article and not just the misleading snippet in the OP

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@RR360DD said:

I wonder how many people in here actually read the article and not just the misleading snippet in the OP

2. The answer is 2 people. (I'm not one of them)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Pedro

@RR360DD said:

Judging from the responses a select few. The majority are just spewing nonsense.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: I didn't come to any conclusions, I was asking you what yours was since you stated you were the only one smart enough to get it. After your last two post I see that's 100% clearly not the case, again thanks for clarifying that.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

You guys are missing the point entirely. All those single player games you mention did chart for what a month tops maybe. Look at how long GTA V has been charting. Single player with decent MP. Guarantee RDR 2 will have similar MP. Those single player games wish they had numbers like Overwatch, Destiny, COd, battlefield, wild lands, rb6.

This is why I play on Xbox one it caters to what I like and play

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Pedro

@vfighter said:

@Pedro: I didn't come to any conclusions, I was asking you what yours was since you stated you were the only one smart enough to get it. After your last two post I see that's 100% clearly not the case, again thanks for clarifying that.

There is no conclusion to be drawn. What the interview states and what is being said by most posters don't coincide. I know, its a struggle but if anyone is going to comment on the article the very least they should do is read it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Phil is right.

U4, Nioh, bloode borne, ect I don't hear about these games anymore, they virtually left 0 impact in the industry.

lol wut?

I can give you Nioh isnt much talked about nowadays (and that still means sh*t) but I see U4 and Bloodborne being mentioned PLENTY especially when there ares "favorite games this gen" threads

so stfu, you know sh*t wtf you're talking about. You know what is rarely mentioned? Halo 5 and Gears 4, two MP focused games, thats what...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

It's hard to deny that MP has become the go-to for a lot of gamers since the release of the 360. I'm not hugely into MP except for a few games, so SP is my jam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Well, in terms of popularity and which games are now the biggest in the industry? hes right...

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@charizard1605: You missed facts again. The games that you claim that dominate sales are the flashes in the pan. They are here one week and gone the rest. He is talking about games that are there for months and even years these get sales from MP. Minecrat, GTA V, etc.

TigerDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#195  Edited By TigerDragon
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

Even if Quauntum Break sold a couple million it has no long-term profit plan.

Halo 3, Bioshock, mass Effect, etc. from last gen where SP or had significant SP campaign that actually mattered to the masses and charted for months and had great legs.

Tons of SP games these days will do ok or very well initially and then kind of sell very slowly or hit a wall. Which is a high risk if you spend XXX millions on the development of said games. So what Phil is saying is NOT that there won't be SP games but that its a risky model.

Re6 despite doing a couple million still had to sell a bit more than double that for a comfortable profit. Best selling square enix games were called under performers because they didn't reach the minimum goal. Quantum break likely has sold over 1 million now but how much money was lost on that game? It clearly hasn't made much back. Even if its considered a "success" in one way it fails in the part where the money comes in.

Not saying there shouldn't be more SP games i', just simplifying what Phils message is.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 cainetao11

@kvally said:
@oflow said:

@charizard1605: Why do you automatically assume that he's against these games based on this small soundbyte? You're reading too much fanboy into this. He was talking about the overall state of the industry not the Xbox business strategy.

Making hyperbolic statements about ceded the industry from this interview is kind of LOL.

MS never had Japan to begin with. On top of that, whats wrong with that strategy? Its weird Japanese fans think that having a product primarily pushed to an American audience is a bad thing. Like having a product do well in just America is so terrible.

Its one of the reasons I actually like Xbox. I like the Xbox community in general. I dont care about 'global market domination'. I like the social community of Xbox. I like going to Xbox Fanfest at E3 every year and actually meeting other Xbox gamers in real life. I actually prefer playing games with other people.

As far as them becoming niche, I guess you're just going to ignore the overall strategy of Play Anywhere. But I'll let you tell tell it. If thats what it is thats what it is. I'll still be a fan.

These type of posts are like you're begging him to make you have a reason to like Xbox. You want to but you dont. Maybe its just not the brand for you? Theres nothing wrong with that. Some people like Toyotas some people like Fords. Just because Camrys outsell Mustangs doesnt mean I still wont like Mustangs more.

He must not have read the entire article. Not only was he not talking about that being the direction of Xbox, but the industry. He followed that up, again in context, with Single Player being CRITICAL to Xbox.

Its not exciting to make a thread about the entirety of what the man said. This was click bait from the get go. char is my friend but thats what I see. People claim they are "seeing red" after reading the OP. Why not read the entire interview because TC left out important quotes that refute what the thread title is trying to mislead.

Also on twitter Spencer addressed this because people take one statement and run with it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 cainetao11

@omnichris said:

Not sure how he can say that when PS4 the home of story based games is selling like a treasure trove for Sony. :P

Mass Effect Andromeda even though it selling okay, argubly suffered in sales due to it's shallow writing compared to the first 3 games. :P Story more than ever is a highly important aspect to any game.

Because what he said has been editied away from the entirety of the article. 90% of the forum is too lazy to read the entire thing and are just going on what charizard's OP said. Spencer himself isnt a MP gamer. He prefers SP games and says further in that same article they are an integral part of the Xbox. But that was all conveniently left out of the OP. Click bait ftw.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Shewgenja

To Team Butyoudidntactuallyreadithelovesallgamesseriously:

Cut this interview that way if you want to, but there is very clearly some perspective or framework he is building from in this. You guys come across like those guys who want to take politicians LITERALLY when they give a double answer and it is 100% pathetic. You are selling yourselves out and immune to reason.

It's obvious as hell to everyone that when someone speaks out of two sides of their mouth, you go back to looking at their actions. The XBox is the only system not to have a AAAAE this generation. Singleplayer games can deliver that experience. Meanwhile, games have been put on the chopping block left and right the past couple of years and we even have the original developers of one of those games out and out telling us that MS changed the entire scope of what they wanted from them in this very capacity. Adding a cherry on top for the Scalebound developer saying the exact same thing.

So, please understand, Lemming Nation. You can exist in your echo chamber where Platinum Games is a crappy developer that doesn't know how to finish a project. You can stay in your hole where GH Bush never raised taxes, too. What you won't do is convince anyone else that this nonsense is going to fly.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By loe12k

Overwatch has 30 million players and it's Multiplayer game. Phil was right. Sony knows this too but they are edging their bets story based games will sell better for them and they do! Sony games don't have Multiplayer. Only for third party the PS4 would have hardly any online games.

Microsoft knows what sell best on their plattform. Xbox will have a mix of both single player+ multiplayer games.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

If that was actually true and single-player games were on the brink of extinction, I wouldn't have much incentive to play video games anymore. Multiplayer has never held my excitement.