Still Being Force-Fed Tutorials Halfway Through A Game Unappreciation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

I feel like i'm being tutorial'd to death in some games

i'm playing remember me right now and I can't count how many times the game forced me into the combo lap overexplaining the very simple systems, and forcing me to mix up my pressons to make 'new' combos that all look the same

JUST LET ME PLAY THE F%KING GAME! :evil:

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I hated in Red Steel 2 you couldn't turn off the damn tutorials for new moves and such. I've already learned this stuff, I don't need you to tell me again. The only game I recall where the tutorials annoyed me.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Yeah, I'd much rather just read through the instruction booklet that comes with the game. Too bad those are slowly become nothing more than 3 pages worth of contact information.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
Yes, tutorials can be so f*cking annoying. Assassin's Creed 3 had a pretty long and annoying tutorial. Also, Skyrim's tutorial sucked horribly.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Well, if they are introducing new systems that will be relevent for the the next half of the game, then its justified. Otherwise, its just them playing it safe for stupid people everywhere.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I agree ^ skyward sword is such a pain in the ass, they assume you're 3 years old
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

True... every game should have an option to fully disable the tutorials, any gamer with at least a bit of experience will immediately pick up the basics of most games. Tutorials can be useful only if the game introduces some more advanced mechanic, but even then, it should be quick and to the point, without slowing down the game.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yes, tutorials can be so f*cking annoying. Assassin's Creed 3 had a pretty long and annoying tutorial. Also, Skyrim's tutorial sucked horribly.DragonfireXZ95

Tell me about it... half of the damn game was a tutorial... while the rest was just running towards markers, occasionally pressing the "interact" button.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yes, tutorials can be so f*cking annoying. Assassin's Creed 3 had a pretty long and annoying tutorial. Also, Skyrim's tutorial sucked horribly.

Yeah Assassins Creed killed me. You just want to get turned loose and start the good stuff.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
It's for the younger audiences :oops:
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yes, tutorials can be so f*cking annoying. Assassin's Creed 3 had a pretty long and annoying tutorial. Also, Skyrim's tutorial sucked horribly.

AC3's tutorial is like 4 hours long, it's awful. Tomb Raider was pretty bad too, you learn new stuff at such a rate that half the game felt like it was still the tutorial.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Michael0134567
It's for the younger audiences :oops:bbkkristian
All tutorials should be able to be turned off though.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

It's for the younger audiences :oops:bbkkristian

yeah..keep telling yourself that :P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I swear I've played a game like this
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I still find it sad that we need tutorials but remember that most devs think modern gamers are f*cking idiots. (And they're right to some degree)
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yes, tutorials can be so f*cking annoying. Assassin's Creed 3 had a pretty long and annoying tutorial. Also, Skyrim's tutorial sucked horribly.

AC3's tutorial is like 4 hours long, it's awful. Tomb Raider was pretty bad too, you learn new stuff at such a rate that half the game felt like it was still the tutorial.

Yeah, Tomb Raider had some annoying nuances, also. The one thing I will say about Skyrim is at least it had the Alternate life mod, which allowed you to completely skip the tutorial and it throws you someplace random(or not) in the wild, which is awesome.
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts

*points at Gears of War tutorial path choices, nods in approval*

tumblr_mdr63c86e91qk6rweo1_400.gif

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Portal 2 and Skyward Sword are 10s turned 9s as they never quiet ramp up in complexity in the second half to satisfying degrees, and both are way too guided (obvious white portal sections / Fi)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. khoofia_pika
FF XIII had forced tutorials?
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Yeah, I'd much rather just read through the instruction booklet that comes with the game. Too bad those are slowly become nothing more than 3 pages worth of contact information.

Trail_Mix
OMFG SO TRUE! Just the other day I whipped out my old copy of Twisted Metal Black. Now THATS an instruction manual. Thing is like 40 pages long, well made has character bios, is written in the form of a journal...thing is epic. Then I go over to TLOU. The manual looks like those lose papers you find that have random adverts on them.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I still find it sad that we need tutorials but remember that most devs think modern gamers are f*cking idiots. (And they're right to some degree)tagyhag
Well some games surely need them. For instance, try playing the total war games without a tutorial for the first time. Those games are so massive they should come with a free Prima guide lol :P
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

R* games have some pretty annoying tutorials. I recently started RDR and I fvcking hate how they stop you and force you to read a block of text and you can forward it at your own pace. You HAVE torwait for the game to progress itself. It's like "I KNOW HOW TO FVCKING PLAY POKER". GTA IV pulled that crap too

Though I don't think they have them mid way through the game

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Welcome to modern gaming. Where the "cinematic experience" takes precedence over the organic gameplay the player makes for themselves.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#25 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. khoofia_pika

I remember how Fi tells me the stupidest things, like that boots go on my feet. :lol:

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 khoofia_pika
[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. BrunoBRS

Oh man, you have no idea
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 khoofia_pika

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. Demonjoe93

I remember how Fi tells me the stupidest things, like that boots go on my feet. :lol:

And every damn time I get one of those wads of gunk, I'm like dammit Fi, I get it already :x
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I still find it sad that we need tutorials but remember that most devs think modern gamers are f*cking idiots. (And they're right to some degree)II_Seraphim_II
Well some games surely need them. For instance, try playing the total war games without a tutorial for the first time. Those games are so massive they should come with a free Prima guide lol :P

I skip those :P I just learn by messing around. Sh*t, you can even get by playing Paradox games without a tutorial.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. khoofia_pika

And every damn time I get one of those wads of gunk, I'm like dammit Fi, I get it already :x

And then she tells me about how the beeping means I'm low on health. :?

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 khoofia_pika

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Demonjoe93

And her statistics. Drove me fvcking crazy.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"] And every damn time I get one of those wads of gunk, I'm like dammit Fi, I get it already :xkhoofia_pika

And her statistics. Drove me fvcking crazy.

People complained about Navi? Fi redefines annoying.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#32 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Reinforcin Skyward Freekin Sword.

3 hours in and still tutorian me. Another hour until you get in the first freekin dungeon. 

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time I learned tutorials, the intro of the story, and inside the 1st dungeon all in the first hour. 

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
I remember the good ole days where there werent tutorials in the main game. If you wanted to learn the game, you would use a practice mode.
marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 marinko123
Member since 2008 • 417 Posts

I'm surprised at how tedious some tutorials in shooters can be, yet I've failed to see any in most MP games I've played, some of which should require you to pass a tutorial before jumping into MP like Battlefield 3 which is full of veggie's. You can't even try out vehicles anywhere and they take some time to get used to, until then you're at the mercy of skilled enemies.

Oblivion's tutorial was just... ugh, waaaay too long, should come with an option to skip.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. khoofia_pika

Oh man, you have no idea

i don't, because i made as far as the final boss and i don't remember any tutorials (just a bunch of tutorial data logs that they tell you that you should read someday and are safely tucked under a bunch of menus)
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]The one thing I actively disliked about Skyward Sword, and the one thing that made me dislike majority of FF13 itself. khoofia_pika

Oh man, you have no idea

Are we playing different games?
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="Trail_Mix"]

II_Seraphim_II

OMFG SO TRUE! Just the other day I whipped out my old copy of Twisted Metal Black. Now THATS an instruction manual. Thing is like 40 pages long, well made has character bios, is written in the form of a journal...thing is epic. Then I go over to TLOU. The manual looks like those lose papers you find that have random adverts on them.

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about.

That's why I think these in-game tutorials have something to do with the lackluster manuals in the recent years. Heck, the future might just have them be integrated within the disc itself.

I know that PlayStation All-Stars game didn't come with a physical booklet either, that's because it had some type of "disc based instruction manual" option when you put the game in your console. It makes me heartbroken just thinking about it; moving onward towards the future I guess.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

That was what I hated about Mass Effect 2. Always popping up that giant fvcking notice telling me to hit space to use powers, any time I went more than 10 seconds or so without using a power. I KNOW HOW TO DO IT, DAMNIT.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Far Cry 3. Everything is telling you what to do. And I'm not even talking about the pop up tutorials. Want to hunt a goat? Forget exploration, just look at the map to find the exact spot. Feels like the game is one giant tutorial that tells you where to go all the time. Most overrated game of last year.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] FF XIII had forced tutorials?

Oh man, you have no idea

Are we playing different games?

There were Tutorials for the ATB Gauge, the Paradigm Shift, how to use Potions and Pheonix Downs but I remember it asking me If I wanted to skip it.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I totally agree.

Devs think we're idiots sometimes.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts
It does that like twice. The only thing it shows everytime is your new abilities like Logic Bomb and Sensen Fury, WHICH ONLY MAKES SENSE.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
Ah the days when you'd read through the intsruction manual waiting for the game to install, and then jump in and play knowing all the buttons. Wonder what happened :S
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

*points at Gears of War tutorial path choices, nods in approval*

tumblr_mdr63c86e91qk6rweo1_400.gif

FastEddie2121
Good point, actually. I love that about Gears of War. Very well done.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] FF XIII had forced tutorials?

Oh man, you have no idea

i don't, because i made as far as the final boss and i don't remember any tutorials (just a bunch of tutorial data logs that they tell you that you should read someday and are safely tucked under a bunch of menus)

Most people consider the restriction you have for the first 20 - 25 hours as a tutorial. It's like they wanted us to know how to use each paradigm shift to death before we could use them all. Seriously I still have nightmare from this game.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Reinforcin Skyward Freekin Sword.

3 hours in and still tutorian me. Another hour until you get in the first freekin dungeon. 

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time I learned tutorials, the intro of the story, and inside the 1st dungeon all in the first hour. 

wiifan001

What happens between the time you boot the game up and reach the first dungeon isn't tutorial. It's just an arbitrary criteria people have made up.

The game opens up once you leave Skyloft and enter Faron Woods, which is an area with just as much gameplay substance as a dungeon itself. You're fighting monsters, exploring, solving puzzles, helping local residents, finding new items; this isn't a tutorial anymore.

Skyloft's 1 hour section is imo justified because of the vast amount of mechanics this game introduces which the game eases you into, one after the other. 

In a typical TPS with standard mechanics and game design, you know exactly how it plays, so all you need is a 5 min reminder. With Skyward Sword, you need to learn Link's new movement abilities, entirely new sword fighting system, how to fly with the bird and of course get familiar with Skyloft which is the hub area you'll return to constantly as the game goes on.

SS has its handholding issues, but overly long tutorial isn't one of them. You can get through it rather quickly the second time you play, especially Hero Mode let's you skip some of the parts.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I still find it sad that we need tutorials but remember that most devs think modern gamers are f*cking idiots. (And they're right to some degree)II_Seraphim_II

Even with a Prima guide I'd suck balls at it :lol:
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 khoofia_pika
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] FF XIII had forced tutorials?

Oh man, you have no idea

Then you've forgotten about the torturous turorials the game gave for the ATB and the Paradigm shifts and how to freaking battle. The constant handholding gave me horrors. The linearity that half of the game forced down your throat did not help, that is not what Final Fantasy is about.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Every game that pauses the game and gives you tutorial box to read has failed making a tutorial

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

It does that like twice. The only thing it shows everytime is your new abilities like Logic Bomb and Sensen Fury, WHICH ONLY MAKES SENSE.freedomfreak

that isn't true. i'm 4 hours in and still being tutorial'd