Starcraft 2's story is garbage. When did Blizzard hire Disney to write it?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts

They ditched lots of things from the original storyline in order to dumb it down to a chick-flick love cliche, yet they made Jim Raynor into a totally unlikable "I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" egotistical douchebag who screams at and threatens his well-intending crew members. And unlike the grey morality in the original, everything turned into caricature black and white. The ending was cringe inducing and a total slap in the face for fans of the first game's storyline. Most of the story is just worthless fillers that does not advance anything at all. Each 1 of the 6 campaigns in starcraft+brood war is not only more complete but far better than the whole of starcraft 2. And to think the new evil Blizzard boss thinks he can sell this pure garbage story for 20-30 bucks a piece.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Haven't played SCII yet... but if Blizzard hired Disney to write the story chances are that Kerrigan has her bad girl days numbered. In the end you can bet Raynor will kiss her and the infection will be broken and everybody in the universe will be happy and BFF.

EDIT: lol

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
I'd have to agree... Tychus was cool though
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

Haven't played SCII yet... but if Blizzard hired Disney to write the story chances are that Morrigan has her bad girl days numbered. In the end you can bet Raynor will kiss her and the infection will be broken and everybody in the universe will be happy and BFF.

GreenGoblin2099
I had no idea there was a Darkstalkers/Starcraft cross over now.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 runbleduck

Haven't played SCII yet... but if Blizzard hired Disney to write the story chances are that Morrigan has her bad girl days numbered. In the end you can bet Raynor will kiss her and the infection will be broken and everybody in the universe will be happy and BFF.

GreenGoblin2099
wow you guessed it correctly. That's pretty much what happens
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

You're ranting there, but I can't say I disagree since I really expected this game to have teh story that ends all stories in RTS games. I mean, where are the betrayals, plot twists, and complex plot developments? I think it would've been a much more interesting story if Valerian actually had other plans of his own(no spoilers there promise ;) ). Storytelling in games was already the aspect that developers had to work on most, I didn't expect it would actually get worse, especially not blizzard.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Ace6301

I had no idea there was a Darkstalkers/Starcraft cross over now.

There is now. :P

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ace6301

You're ranting there, but I can't say I disagree since I really expected this game to have teh story that ends all stories in RTS games. I mean, where are the betrayals, plot twists, and complex plot developments? I think it would've been a much more interesting story if Valerian actually had other plans of his own(no spoilers there promise ;) ). Storytelling in games was already the aspect that developers had to work on most, I didn't expect it would actually get worse, especially not blizzard.

PSdual_wielder
To be fair: 1). Betrayal: [spoiler] Tychus? [/spoiler] 2). Plot Twists: [spoiler] Kerrigan has to survive or else all life will be extinguished [/spoiler] 3). Meh depends on your definition of complex plot developments. Compred to most games it has that as well but I wasn't sold in that regard. Keep in mind thanks to Blizzard's money grubbing it's act 1 of 3 and you never pull anything too big in the first act.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Starcraft 2 storyline wasn't terrible, but Warcraft 3 was ridiculously better
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

blizzard has always been this way

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
It was pretty damn good if you ask me, much better than any Halo or Killzone storyline.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Ace6301

To be fair: 1). Betrayal: [spoiler] Tychus? [/spoiler] 2). Plot Twists: [spoiler] Kerrigan has to survive or else all life will be extinguished [/spoiler] 3). Meh depends on your definition of complex plot developments. Compred to most games it has that as well but I wasn't sold in that regard. Keep in mind thanks to Blizzard's money grubbing it's act 1 of 3 and you never pull anything too big in the first act.

well, what i mean are things that you just don't see coming but has somehow been meticulously integrated into the plot for the whole game, those kinds of 'twists'. Not things that any high school-level creative writer can think of as effortless extension of an existing plot.

edit: And as an example of what I'm talking about, the answer conveniently is starcraft 1 and bw.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I like the story immersion you got between the missions and spam clicking on every crew mate.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
If Disney wrote it, sounds like a great upgrade from your average game story.
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

It was pretty damn good if you ask me, much better than any Halo or Killzone storyline. millerlight89

...Doesn't it make sense to compare it to the story in SC1? Any garbage story is better than Halo or Killzone.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

If Disney wrote it, sounds like a great upgrade from your average game story. Willy105

I was about to say, if it was written by Disney wouldn't it have been good (or at least better than most games)?

LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts
The thing is that there are still two parts of the story to come out. Wings of Liberty was just setting up the main pieces for the other two to resolve. There are a lot of unanswered questions and story lines that weren't resolved in Wings of Liberty that I very much look forward to seeing in the upcoming parts.
reynal1287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 reynal1287
Member since 2009 • 378 Posts

It was pretty damn good if you ask me, much better than any Halo or Killzone storyline. millerlight89

this pretty much.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

the overall story was very standard but the presentation was an A+. Wish there were more cutscenes.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 runbleduck
The thing is that there are still two parts of the story to come out. Wings of Liberty was just setting up the main pieces for the other two to resolve. There are a lot of unanswered questions and story lines that weren't resolved in Wings of Liberty that I very much look forward to seeing in the upcoming parts.LordXelNaga
Not a valid excuse as any single campaign from the original starcraft is much better and more complete compared to the whole starcraft 2.
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Disney storylines are the best except for hunchback of notre dame.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

I really don't mind the direction Blizzard went in with the story, I mean if they want to screw with it it's fine, and there are still 2 chapters to go.

My main problem was the actual writing and dialogue were completely substandard compared to other blizzard games. It made the whole thing feel detached and not believable by the pre-established lore. When Mengsk betrayed Kerrigan in SC1 it came completely out of left field, even though you saw signs of Mengsk becoming too power hungry. You saw the conclave reconcile at the last minute, knowing they were wrong the whole time. You saw infested kerrigan manipulate and deceive characters again and again, because she's just kinda a total B****. All of these feel genuine and believable, and still are exciting developments, because they are well written.

SC2 is so poorly written. They talk in incredibly lame cliched dialogue, to the point where you really don't care about any of the characters.Characters who were interesting and well developed in the first are completely retconned into lame stereotypes. They don't feel genuine at all, and when a plot point happens, it really just feels dumb and unnecessary.

Kerrigan in particular, who was once cold and manipulative, is just lame now. She doesn't try to trick her way into anything, and seems to do nothing but make terrible decisions over and over and say things like "Savor this small victory, but I will win in the end boohahahahaha".

Why exactly did she hide for 4 years? That's not explained, but presumably its because blizzard didn't want her raping the whole galaxy so that they could make a dark and interesting dynamic. Galaxy ravaged by an intelligent, evil alien swarm? Nah whatever, lets just make her pointlessly squander everything going for her in SC1's ending.

Zeratul once seemed like an ageless pool of wisdom, but now all he does is BRING TIDINGS OF DOOOOOM.

I will say that I liked the production values and voice acting. If they could hire a better writer the series would be fine.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Ace6301

the story's not solid though and lacks any strong significance. i think it is lacking. anyway, what anime is that in your sig?
Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

Chris metzen doesnt care anymore thats why

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

The story in SC2 was horrible, but they made up for it by having fun missions. SC2 story was no where near as good as the first one.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

lordlors

the story's not solid though and lacks any strong significance. i think it is lacking. anyway, what anime is that in your sig?

I never said it was solid and honestly I never found Starcraft 1's story to be anything of merit either so frankly I went into SC2 with low expectations of the story and while the story wasn't that great I did find the campaign quite entertaining. It's not an anime actually, it's Blazblue.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
My guess is that: [spoiler] By having Raynor cure Kerrigan, he was inadvertently moving Zeratuel's vision of the future closer to fruition rather than allaying it. As it says that the Queen of Blades (who is now cured) must survive, not Kerrigan. There's still plenty of time in the upcoming expansions for this rosey ending to turn sour very quickly, in typical Blizzard fashion. [/spoiler]
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I though it was pretty good actually, not WarCraft 3 standar (which, IMO is the best story i've seen in a RTS) but still i like it, now, to be fair, i didn't feel the original SC story THAT good, it is really good sure, and better than SC2 story, but not for a long shot.

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
Pretty solid storyline for a video game overall but...... this is a game with a 100 million dollar budget that took 10 years to release. I was hoping to be blown away by the storyline, but was sadly disappointed.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
I hated the ending I thought it was TERRIBLE.
crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

I don't even know why starcraft 2 story gets praised. It's really bad. And simplistic. Between each mission, there's just a lobby area where you click stuff to hear one liners. Very dumb.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I had to avoid reading the replies in order to not spoil the story for me. I haven't gotten SC II yet. But if Disney has had a hand in it, seriously... Ugh. I'm sorry. They should just stick to Kingdom Hearts. :P

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

My guess is that: General_X

It could be, but IMO [spoiler] i think is the opossite, now they have a chance to stop Zeratul's vision by having the Zerg working for them instead against them, however, both Raynor and Kerrigan are wanted criminals and Mengks won't rest until he kills them, so it will be a struggle against Mengks as well against the hybrids [/spoiler]

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Haven't finished it, but it is well presented, and the way the narrative is told is superb. Compared to lets say oh; Heavy Rain.
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
Just had to bring up Halo, didn't you?
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. It made me completely finish the campaign without really touching the multiplayer.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ace6301
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]It was pretty damn good if you ask me, much better than any Halo or Killzone storyline. BodyElite
Just had to bring up Halo, didn't you?

Comparing one high budget 9.5 rated science fiction game to others...I would say it's pretty valid.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Haven't played SCII yet... but if Blizzard hired Disney to write the story chances are that Kerrigan has her bad girl days numbered. In the end you can bet Raynor will kiss her and the infection will be broken and everybody in the universe will be happy and BFF.

GreenGoblin2099

Wow... right on target on the first try.

I don't think its a terrible story, but when put up against games like Uncharted 2, Amnesia, or Red Dead Redemption the story isn't of the highest grade and is rather cliched. Not the worst story, but not too good with the real value coming from its production values, and the games I listed have those as well.

Still, people don't play Starcraft for the Oscar worthy storyline do they? Its not exactly trying to be Heavy Rain here.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BodyElite

I had to avoid reading the replies in order to not spoil the story for me. I haven't gotten SC II yet. But if Disney has had a hand in it, seriously... Ugh. I'm sorry. They should just stick to Kingdom Hearts. :P

Ceraby
It could have been Pixar though :shock:
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I really liked the characters and story honestly. Sure...most of the story was cliche, but it was told well and presented in a suberb fasion. It left me wanting more in the upcoming expansions. I can't wait for them honestly:D

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JangoWuzHere

Pretty solid storyline for a video game overall but...... this is a game with a 100 million dollar budget that took 10 years to release. I was hoping to be blown away by the storyline, but was sadly disappointed.kinger256

why are people STILL saying this game had a 100million dollar budget?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

SPYDER0416

Wow... right on target on the first try.

I don't think its a terrible story, but when put up against games like Uncharted 2, Amnesia, or Red Dead Redemption the story isn't of the highest grade and is rather cliched. Not the worst story, but not too good with the real value coming from its production values, and the games I listed have those as well.

Still, people don't play Starcraft for the Oscar worthy storyline do they? Its not exactly trying to be Heavy Rain here.

Yeah, they do play it for the story actually. There is already a ton of books out their expanding the lore and story of Starcraft.
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BodyElite

[QUOTE="kinger256"]Pretty solid storyline for a video game overall but...... this is a game with a 100 million dollar budget that took 10 years to release. I was hoping to be blown away by the storyline, but was sadly disappointed.JangoWuzHere

why are people STILL saying this game had a 100million dollar budget?

Lol this isn't Avatar we are talking about, it's a video game!
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
It was a decent story, but nothing special: Most of the missions seemed to be fillers so I never really felt the game move - the only time that happend was when you either 1 was stealing artifacts or 2 playing as Zerathul. So we had a bunch of useless missions, some artifact stealing, a prediction about the future and then the end. It just felt so pointless and so did Kerrigan/The Queen of Blades. Oh and is it me or does the story just seem like it's been told before? - Some super alien power is coming so we need to unite in order to beat it - wow how creative.. Didn't that also happend in Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos? ..
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 designer-
Member since 2010 • 1328 Posts
I was dissapointed. Warcraft 3 had an amazing storyline, you know your onto something great when an emo arthus walks through pink flower petals and it still looks great. Here however Tychus was horribly predictable, and the characters prattling on about trust and what not could not ask him why he last let free? I would have thought that would be one of the first things to ask. The ending was very meh. Any tension created was through gameplay. Its just a shame when the different aspects of a game dont add up and with gameplay so good its a missed opportunity that the story does not really complement it..
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
I thought it was good, much better than your average COD/KZ/Gears/Halo stories.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

They ditched lots of things from the original storyline in order to dumb it down to a chick-flick love cliche, yet they made Jim Raynor into a totally unlikable "I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" egotistical douchebag who screams at and threatens his well-intending crew members. And unlike the grey morality in the original, everything turned into caricature black and white. The ending was cringe inducing and a total slap in the face for fans of the first game's storyline. Most of the story is just worthless fillers that does not advance anything at all. Each 1 of the 6 campaigns in starcraft+brood war is not only more complete but far better than the whole of starcraft 2. And to think the new evil Blizzard boss thinks he can sell this pure garbage story for 20-30 bucks a piece.

runbleduck

It's not fantastic I'll give you that but it's pretty good compared to other high profile games..

And I see you completely misunderstood Jim Raynor so I can't help but wonder wether or not you actually "got" the rest of the story.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I believe Warcraft3+Frozen Throne was the pinnacle of a story, for Blizzard, and basically the best RTS story ever. I don't think they'll top that anytime soon, SCII's story was cool, but nothing to brag about.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
I thought it was fine. Wasn't their best story ever, but I don't think it was "garbage".
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I wouldn't say garbage, but it's definitely nothing worth talking about. I've only played it for a few hours, but some of the lines said are cringe worthy, and the voice acting seems really forced at times, especially from Tychus. Also, if Disney wrote it, it would have been better. Damn fine game though.