Star wars games. Bunch of games but why so many of them are bad?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Hello friends,

So theres plenty of star wars games since 2 or 3 decades. and nearly all of them are pretty bad.

and no im not talking about modern star wars games. Im talking about Old school too. i tried bunch of star wars FPS games and nearly all of them are mediocre. concept of star wars FPS doesnot sound good because guns in star wars suck. star wars work better as action lightsaber game only. and thats what finally jedi fallen order done it right.

Tried Jedi dark force games and they are too outdated and apart from Doom like level design. once again gunplay is not satisfying enough, tried jedi outcast and it suck as FPS and ok as third person lightsaber game but overall mediocre game. republic commando also mediocre FPS.

Up until Jedo fallen order which is also flawed. it seem like no developer has done star wars game right.

what do you think my friends? lets discuss.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Super Nintendo ones were rad.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I don't know. Could be the project fell apart, they didn't have enough time, it was cash grab trash, or they just don't know what makes Star Wars cool. In general, Warhammer has had the same problem.

I agree that laser guns suck in games. It's one of the main reasons I don't even like modern military games, where the goal seems to be turning your machine gun into a laser beam. It lessens the need for finesse and control, and that's not as fun to me. Lightsabers are definitely cool, but nailing the feel has to be pretty tough. I haven't played the outcast and academy games, but I thought Fallen Order did it pretty well; I just wasn't overly fond of the rest of the game. It should've been called "Jedi Nature Hater". How many spiders do I have to f#cking kill?!

Honestly, my dream Star Wars game would be one where you aren't required to be a Jedi/Sith. I would love to be in that world as a bounty hunter, a deathstick smuggler, a Rancor trainer, a droid slaver, a twilek go-go dancer... almost anything but a Jedi. I want to hear tale of them, and be in AWE if I actually see one; just like a Space Marine. But the chances of that are about as likely as me getting pregnant... and I'm a guy... at least that's how it used to work.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

Because Star Wars is a sh*t franchise and universe that sells on nostalgia only. So the games didn't need to have any quality just a name SW and the coat of paint with the same stupid designs is enough to sell it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@pc_rocks said:

Because Star Wars is a sh*t franchise and universe that sells on nostalgia only. So the games didn't need to have any quality just a name SW and the coat of paint with the same stupid designs is enough to sell it.

Except for original trilogy and mandalorian.

yes modern star wars movies suck. but original for its time was special.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

I've enjoyed the majority of Starwars games.

As far as movie > IP games go, it's argubly the best.

Gaming itself was used as a platform for the expanded universe to go hand in hand with the movies (and still is) beyond "movie adaptation".

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

I've enjoyed the majority of Starwars games.

As far as movie > IP games go, it's argubly the best.

Not when This masterpiece exist.

It took mediocre movie and turn into amazing game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

This has to be a topic where I disagree really bad. Star Wars as a license has made more an impact on gaming more than any other. The only license I think came close to adding up to it is probably James Bond. All the Marvel's, the DC's, even anime licensed games (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, etc), they had their gems, but it wasn't as consistent.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@nintendoboy16 said:

This has to be a topic where I disagree really bad. Star Wars as a license has made more an impact on gaming more than any other. The only license I think came close to adding up to it is probably James Bond. All the Marvel's, the DC's, even anime licensed games (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, etc), they had their gems, but it wasn't as consistent.

apparently we also dont have good James bond game so far anyways. and no. not goldeneye too.

we will finally witness first good James bond game that is in development by IO interactive.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Super Nintendo ones were rad.

Remember playing Empire Strikes Back on SNES a lot. Loved the game, but it was hard as ****.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Cuz its a movie game, and movie games are trash. And i am not talking about Sony exclusives, so stop trolling me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I like Squadrons a lot. But I also like Jedi Academy and Republic Commando, so maybe you don't want my opinion.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Most game do not age gracefully despite the rose tinted glasses people view them through. Many of these games were products you had to be there when they released and were at the height of their popularity. Then you remember a lot of these games were never the best of their genre at time of release but more so "Hey this is good for a Star Wars release" mentality behind it.

Shouldn't surprise anyone that returning to 20+ year old games doesn't yield the best results in terms of enjoyment.

Sure there are gems out there but you also have to take the bad with the good dealing with clunky controls, ugly graphics, unclear mechanics, and more.

These days the games are basically cash grabs that look at what is popular and try to adapt a Star Wars game around it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
@judaspete said:

I like Squadrons a lot. But I also like Jedi Academy and Republic Commando, so maybe you don't want my opinion.

Get the impression (by Starwars standards) Squadrons went under the radar. It seems to have a comparatively lesser budget as it's very limited in nature with practically no additional content.

Which is a shame, as the base game is pretty great. And as far as MP goes in the modern day and age, extremely unique.

Believe many people saw this and thought it was just EA releasing the flying-part-only of Battlefield. Which (as you've played it) know well is an incorrect take.

Alot of the younger folk, or just console folk in general probably never played the X Wing VS Tie-Fighter series.

It's low key one of the top VR experiences as well. Perfectly playable in flatscreen but in VR it's about the closest you'll experience to being in a movie scene.

And by that I don't mean shit where you watch cutscenes or barely any interaction, just sitting in the ships with a sense of scale and total immersion, fantastic stuff.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I couldn't get into the new squadron game, I tried too but felt it was almost trying to be too realistic (as realistic as a starwars ship flying game could get) didn't find it it very fun.

And I'm a guy who loves all the N64 star wars games, rogue squadron on N64 is my favorite star wars game, I even enjoyed shadow of Empire, pod racing was a blast as well.

Don't know why the new one didn't click with me. I could see it being a better experience as a VR game. But I don't like VR makes me dizzy.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

A franchise that started off as film and was adapted into various forms of entertainment. You have the developers who loved the franchise and wanted to do good by the IP, and then you have others who just wanted to capitalize on the name brand. It's a business.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Because most games are bad in general and there's a lot of Star Wars games.

I'm actually surprised there's as a many as good as as there is.

Kotor (and sort of 2), Tie Fighter vs Xwing 1 and 2, Battlefront 1 and 2, entire Dark Forces and Jedi Knight series (that's like 4 games right?), Fallen Hero. Probably a few more I am forgetting.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15918 Posts

Personally there were a lot of cool starwars game. The recent EA Starwars starfighter (or whatever the name was) was quite a good experience for me at least. I really think lucasart underused the Star Wars IP in the RTS front, really loved Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War.

The movie tie in is mostly garbage tho that I agree. Lego games is an exception.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@ghosts4ever: The OG Star Wars games were some of the best video games of all time. KOTOR, X-Wing and Tie Fighter sims, the Jedi Knight games, Battlefront...

I don't think your comments are very accurate.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By judaspete

@uninspiredcup: I would love to try Squadrons in VR, even though it would definitely make me puke Probably worth it.

This game deserves more attention, but I can't really blame people for overlooking it. EA was pretty upfront that it was kind of a budget title, and priced it $40 at launch. I'm sure a lot of folks figured it was just a half-arsed repackaging of Battlefront's flight mode with some new levels, as you said. Battlefront's DNA is totally there, I'm sure it reused a lot of assets and systems, but Motive built in some space sim elements. Not as complex as the old X-Wing games, but more depth that Battlefront for sure. A space-simcade if you will, unique in that regard.

Would have been cool to get a bigger game, but I don't hold anything against EA for this. It's unlike them to do niche genres to begin with, but they also didn't even try to stick micro-transactions, or any monetization beyond the initial purchase. There's no progression system, no skill trees, no whales flying around in a souped up Tie because they got the ultimate-day one-celebration-bundle. It's old school design where fun comes from playing the game, and winning comes down to skill. Loadouts can shift around your ships strengths and weaknesses, but every upgrade in one area comes with a balancing downgrade in another. When you die, it's because the other guy is good, and you suck.

To be clear, I suck at this game but love it anyway.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

@judaspete: Completely agree. Feels like a game from 90/2000 before we had obligatory RPG trees, unlocks etc.. etc.. etc..

It's both a good thing and a bad thing as, basically that's what kids are use to now. Feel completely bare-bones to them.

Not gonna get that little endorphin gratification regardless if you do good or bad. Learning curve and ability, which requires patience and putting up with a bad time to overcome the hump.

Thinking about it now, kinda glad EA viewed it as a "meh" project. That and pressure for Disney helped keep their lecherous nature at bay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

@judaspete: Completely agree. Feels like a game from 90/2000 before we had obligatory RPG trees, unlocks etc.. etc.. etc..

It's both a good thing and a bad thing as, basically that's what kids are use to now. Feel completely bare-bones to them.

Not gonna get that little endorphin gratification regardless if you do good or bad. Learning curve and ability, which requires patience and putting up with a bad time to overcome the hump.

Thinking about it now, kinda glad EA viewed it as a "meh" project. That and pressure for Disney helped keep their lecherous nature at bay.

How about star wars game where we play as luke skywalker and is reimagine of original trilogy?

that would be amazing but sadly no one will do this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever: Tada

Too old, not playing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

@ghosts4ever: Tada

Too old, not playing.

I know it exist. and i did play it on my phone.

but all im saying make a new game third person by recreating original trilogy.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1345 Posts

I liked all the Battlefront games from the PS2 days, wasnt too impressed with the Force Unleashed though on the 360.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 judaspete

@uninspiredcup: "Thinking about it now, kinda glad EA viewed it as a "meh" project."

This is weirdly true.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Volume shooting