Star Citizen video shows desert planets with weather effect (Stranded on Planet! After ship wreck!)

• 77 results
TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W89v1-90Phk

The quality of the video isn't as good hopefully they upload a better verse from ATV.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

i wonder how large the game will be 250GB? lol

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheFadeForever

@NFJSupreme said:

Better get a 2 TB SSD

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Looks good

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Alpha is at around a 30GB download. At this rate, maybe 150.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

lol no foliage and manly beard. The game is garbage.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

It wasn't funny the first time and it still isn't funny the 100th time.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Dear god this is unbelievable makes spore man sky look like a low budget indie..oh wait ut is *shake head

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I actually think its funny :D

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I will just wait for SQ4

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zeeshanhaider

@Juub1990 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I would also like to add it still doesn't have teh dynamic animation either.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

So what?

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

y u no post the eyecandy

Loading Video...

https://gfycat.com/ZanySeparateCuckoo

https://fat.gfycat.com/DevotedFixedDrake.webm

On a side note, it seems those wrecked ships in space are orbiting the planet

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Game keeps getting better and better. I can't wait until this game releases.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If they stay there for 15 years will they forget what society is and start throwing metal boomerangs at eachother?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@effec_tor: i didnt mean anything by that other than I'm going to have to get a new SSD just for this game lol

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheFadeForever

@skipper847: citizencon less than 40 days

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:
@NFJSupreme said:

Better get a 2 TB SSD

Last year they said it'll likely be over 100Gb and that was long before procedural planetary landing and mo-capped PU missions were appearing before full release, they were in the "someday we'll do that" list. So yeah a 2 TB SSD may be on the cards at this point. :)

I do feel sorry for people with low quality, capped internet deals.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheFadeForever

@GarGx1 said:
@TheFadeForever said:
@NFJSupreme said:

Better get a 2 TB SSD

Last year they said it'll likely be over 100Gb and that was long before procedural planetary landing and mo-capped PU missions were appearing before full release, they were in the "someday we'll do that" list. So yeah a 2 TB SSD may be on the cards at this point. :)

I do feel sorry for people with low quality, capped internet deals.

A disc copy sounds about good

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

God bless Chris Roberts, he is pushing video games to the next level.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I assume when this game is fully complete, and ready to buy, it'll run on the latest consoles out at the time.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GarGx1

@beardmad said:

I assume when this game is fully complete, and ready to buy, it'll run on the latest consoles out at the time.

The current consoles could probably run it now, on low settings and reduced resolution. SC won't go to consoles because Sony and MS have far too restrictive and expensive patching policies and Chris Roberts will never let anyone else have any say over his baby.

I don't even want to think about the backlash a console port announcement would cause among backers. The refund claims would devastate them.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@beardmad: 720p at 30FPS

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@Juub1990 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I would also like to add it still doesn't have teh dynamic animation either.

And not enough generic cutscenes and random explosions.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@GarGx1 said:
@beardmad said:

The current consoles could probably run it now, on low settings and reduced resolution. SC won't go to consoles because Sony and MS have far too restrictive and expensive patching policies and Chris Roberts will never let anyone else have any say over his baby.

I don't even want to think about the backlash a console port announcement would cause among backers. The refund claims would devastate them.

Why would there be a backlash? Obviously you only announce a console version once the PC version is released.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1

@ten_pints said:
@GarGx1 said:
@beardmad said:

Why would there be a backlash? Obviously you only announce a console version once the PC version is released.

Let's see

• It was announced as a PC game.
  • It's been stated multiple times by Chris Roberts and other high ranking C.I.G. staff that it's a PC exclusive and would never go to console.
  • It's been funded to the tune of $122 million by people who want the game on PC. How many people do you think would demand their money back as they have not paid for a multiplatform game? Even more so when you take some of the original backers who have contributed $10k+ to the project.
  • Not a penny of the crowd funding has come from people wanting it on console.
  • It would need to be seriously scaled back for it to be properly optimised to run on any console. It's not even properly optimised to run well on lower end PC's yet

That's only scratching the surface of the furore that would ensue if they announce a console release.

I'm not one of the people who would complain about it, I'm actually expecting to see some form of Squadron 42 released to multiplatform.

Star Citizen is a very different monster from Squadron 42 though, which would cost a hell of a lot of money to keep updated they way that C.I.G. plan to. Additionally they would need to conform to Sony's and MS's rules and let them have overall say on what they can patch and when. None of that will ever happen. It doesn't really have anything to do with hardware that will be available in the future.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

@beardmad:By that logic there will be no more consoles it will be all accounts. PS now and Xbox live.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Great, now show a forest planet.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Every time I see new news on this game I don't know how to feel anymore. I do hope SQ 42 is well underway as this is all I care for at this point and am beginning to think that that is all that should've been promised to begin with. I don't mind delays in games, but there's a real threat of people losing interest after a while......one that SC is pushing.

Just the single player, Chris. Please! Get out 42 by next year, or people are going to seriously start losing their patience. I'm struggling to keep my interest from waning, which surprises me because Wing Commander and Freespace are close to my heart, and I'm a big space sim fan. It'd be great to at least see a story/gameplay trailer or some semblance of structure, not just technical tidbits, to reassure us.

They need to start marketing better.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GarGx1

@MirkoS77 said:

Every time I see new news on this game I don't know how to feel anymore. I do hope SQ 42 is well underway as this is all I care for at this point and am beginning to think that that is all that should've been promised to begin with. I don't mind delays in games, but there's a real threat of people losing interest after a while......one that SC is pushing.

Just the single player, Chris. Please! Get out 42 by next year, or people are going to seriously start losing their patience. I'm struggling to keep my interest from waning, which surprises me because Wing Commander and Freespace are close to my heart, and I'm a big space sim fan. It'd be great to at least see a story/gameplay trailer or some semblance of structure, not just technical tidbits, to reassure us.

They need to start marketing better.

Squadron 42 is being developed, largely, separately from Star Citizen. The Manchester Foundry 42 studio was set up specifically for Squadron 42 and it's the largest individual office (170 or so employees) and it's now backed up with Frankfurt office who are dealing with the FPR/Star Marine side (mostly Crytek guys without the shackles). The ship and player assets going into the persistent universe alpha are mostly coming out of the SQ42 development and are generally two or three months behind the in house QA build. The reason we don't see much of Squadron 42 is down to the simple fact of we don't need to see it. We can get a feel for how the game plays already in the alpha, so why spoil anything from the single player story driven game?

Besides Citizencon is where they generally show off Squadron 42. Plus we can be damn sure that the Hollywood movie and cinematic space game producer in Chris Roberts has the single player story game a top priority for everyone working at C.I.G., as it will be the most important single factor for him. Remember the Star Citizen PU is the aftershock of what made Chris Roberts a PC gaming legend, i.e. cinematic single player space sims ala Squadron 42.

They have literally no marketing budget other than the money that comes from subscribers. That's all used on making monthly insider shows and getting to events like Gamescom and putting on Citizencon. Besides how often do you see Game sites, forum posts, Twitch streamers and Youtubers posting videos and articles? It's a pretty regular occurrence so I'd say they are doing pretty well with their shoe string marketing.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MirkoS77

@GarGx1 said:

The reason we don't see much of Squadron 42 is down to the simple fact of we don't need to see it. We can get a feel for how the game plays already in the alpha, so why spoil anything from the single player story driven game?

They have literally no marketing budget other than the money that comes from subscribers. That's all used on making monthly insider shows and getting to events like Gamescom and putting on Citizencon. Besides how often do you see Game sites, forum posts, Twitch streamers and Youtubers posting videos and articles? It's a pretty regular occurrence so I'd say they are doing pretty well with their shoe string marketing.

Disagree. They need to show Sq. 42, and they need to show it badly. Playing an alpha doesn't work, because 1) simple mechanics can't convey things such as atmosphere, narrative flow, tension, pacing, etc, which is what this game entails, 2) not everyone's a backer and playing the alpha, and 3) dogfights aren't going to be the only gameplay. It's much different to play mechanics absent the whole and/or watch footage of it, rather than actually get a "taste" for what the overall experience will be like with all components coming together and functioning as a collective in a defined narrative and universe.

There should be a trailer to give us an idea of what Sq. 42 will look like in execution. It doesn't have to be minutes, just a 30 second teaser but it needs to show a bit of gameplay, again as a whole, and not just a segment. It won't spoil anything. The game should be well enough in development at this point to compile some in-game snippets. Putting together a teaser or trailer that shows it's an actual product would benefit them miles, and it really wouldn't take a tremendous amount of work to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@GarGx1 said:

The reason we don't see much of Squadron 42 is down to the simple fact of we don't need to see it. We can get a feel for how the game plays already in the alpha, so why spoil anything from the single player story driven game?

Disagree. They need to show Sq. 42, and they need to show it badly. Playing an alpha doesn't work, because 1) simple mechanics can't convey things such as atmosphere, narrative flow, tension, pacing, etc, which is what this game entails, 2) not everyone's a backer and playing the alpha, and 3) dogfights aren't going to be the only gameplay. It's much different to play mechanics absent the whole and/or watch footage of it, rather than actually get a "taste" for what the overall experience will be like with all components coming together and functioning as a collective in a defined narrative and universe.

There should be a trailer to give us an idea of what Sq. 42 will look like in execution. It doesn't have to be minutes, just a 30 second teaser but it needs to show a bit of gameplay, again as a whole, and not just a segment. It won't spoil anything. The game should be well enough in development at this point to compile some in-game snippets. Putting together a teaser or trailer that shows it's an actual product would benefit them miles, and it really wouldn't take a tremendous amount of work to do.

They will show SQ42 at citizen con, but I expect it to be delayed (release) the game just isn't ready yet, it needs far more polish, and even simple mechanics are not even in place yet. Releasing SQ42 this year would be foolish imo .... hell I would say end of next year, polish the HELL out of it... add abit more if needed... make it perfect, because at the end of the day, people will treat that as the "Final quality bar" ... if its rushed and mediocre (it would be if released this year) then it will harm the game far more than delaying even a year imo.

While that gets incredible polish, the MMO will still expand and give players things to do.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MirkoS77

@MBirdy88 said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@GarGx1 said:

They will show SQ42 at citizen con, but I expect it to be delayed (release) the game just isn't ready yet, it needs far more polish, and even simple mechanics are not even in place yet. Releasing SQ42 this year would be foolish imo .... hell I would say end of next year, polish the HELL out of it... add abit more if needed... make it perfect, because at the end of the day, people will treat that as the "Final quality bar" ... if its rushed and mediocre (it would be if released this year) then it will harm the game far more than delaying even a year imo.

While that gets incredible polish, the MMO will still expand and give players things to do.

Oh I fully expect it to get delayed, and agree that late '17 will probably (at the earliest) be when it hits. If they do show a trailer at con, that'll go a long way to assuage my frustration and reassure me the game's in the state they say. If they don't show it, it'll add to my concerns. Fingers crossed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@GarGx1 said:

Oh I fully expect it to get delayed, and agree that late '17 will probably (at the earliest) be when it hits. If they do show a trailer at con, that'll go a long way to assuage my frustration and reassure me the game's in the state they say. If they don't show it, it'll add to my concerns. Fingers crossed.

Yea I see where you are coming from.

They released that half-baked idris tour this time last year (lookewd pretty bad) ... I expect them to show that again fully polished .... but yes, they need to show something substantial...

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Imagine a Star Wars license with these graphics.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mirgamer

@adelbart said:
@samanthak said:

I hope this isn't another NMS situation where the game gets overhyped and where the devs promise to much.

You have no one to blame but yourself for falling for the hype. There were plenty of warning bells going off when NMS was announced. One of those warning bells is Sony Exclusivity. The PS4; the King of Linear Cinematic-No Gameplay-Walking Simulators. You knew NMS was going to be another shallow walking simulator with mediocre graphics and zero gameplay.

As to SC being on console... Never going to happen as everyone around here have said. The developers have specifically said there will never, ever be a console version. They then continued to make fun of how weak consoles were. When a dev makes fun of your favorite platform. You know they have no plans of porting it over.

Yeah, the red flags went up for me pretty early on for NMS.

The difference between NMS and SC is that the former was nothing but smokescreens and vague explanations in all of their interviews or they say and claimed things yet never backed it up with clear videos (flashy trailers that hardly show anything too), not even a gameplay teaser. Star Citizen OTOH never shied away from showing people the state of the game, they are the most open studios with frequent updates, newsletters and whatnot, people know exactly whats going on. I mean, they have an Alpha for more than a year for God's sake, and CR repeatedly showed his game, bugs, crashes and all for everyone to see.

@MirkoS77 said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@GarGx1 said:

But they already did some teasers right, if narrative and atmosphere are what you're looking for. The one with the Gotham police chief guy, another where the player boards this big ship and gets a short tour and Mark Hamill face. In anycase, if you've ever played any CR game then you would sort of know what he usually goes for. Gameplay wise, its what you get from the current SC alpha, except with a lot more polish and finetuning. That SC Alpha 3.0 (have you seen it?) will probably be how it is, with all the different systems in place, except with probably more player-driven story and quests.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MirkoS77

@mirgamer said:

@MirkoS77 said:

But they already did some teasers right, if narrative and atmosphere are what you're looking for. The one with the Gotham police chief guy, another where the player boards this big ship and gets a short tour and Mark Hamill face. In anycase, if you've ever played any CR game then you would sort of know what he usually goes for. Gameplay wise, its what you get from the current SC alpha, except with a lot more polish and finetuning. That SC Alpha 3.0 (have you seen it?) will probably be how it is, with all the different systems in place, except with probably more player-driven story and quests.

Right, but this is operating under the presumption that everyone's played the alpha and are also familiar with CR's work. Not everyone is, and regardless, it's been many, many years since Wing Commander and CR has had his hand involved in gaming (he experimented with film for a while). There's still much to be answered as things are different from the old days. The crew is different, the company is different, and the vision will be different. It'll remain structured in the general direction of his previous work I don't doubt, but specifics are still up in the air to many that should be grouped and shown off at this juncture. The gameplay you're talking about doesn't lend synopsis (the ship tour and Hamill's face, for examples), it only reveals a part of it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@samanthak said:

I hope this isn't another NMS situation where the game gets overhyped and where the devs promise to much.

There are several hundred people working on this game, most with several games of experience behind them. The only risk here is that it never gets truly "finished" because they keep releasing new content.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GarGx1

@foxhound_fox said:
@samanthak said:

There are several hundred people working on this game, most with several games of experience behind them. The only risk here is that it never gets truly "finished" because they keep releasing new content.

I doubt they'll ever stop adding new features and content for a long, long time after it's been 'released'.

flipclic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By flipclic
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Loading Video...

:D

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#44 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

call me when the persistent universe is playable for longer than 30 minutes by people that arent developers. I will give them my money.

flipclic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 flipclic
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

@oflow said:

call me when the persistent universe is playable for longer than 30 minutes by people that arent developers. I will give them my money.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

What's your number again?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#46 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

They're going to run the risk of having a game so intimidating that people may not understand it. If you can't sum the game up in a sentence or two, then you may have a communication problem.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zeeshanhaider

@flipclic said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Loading Video...

:D

What, it has foliage! This cannot be! Blasphemy! Only Horizon is supposed to have the foliage, Sony should sue CIG for that exclusive Horizon feature.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mirgamer

@MirkoS77 said:
@mirgamer said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Right, but this is operating under the presumption that everyone's played the alpha and are also familiar with CR's work. Not everyone is, and regardless, it's been many, many years since Wing Commander and CR has had his hand involved in gaming (he experimented with film for a while). There's still much to be answered as things are different from the old days. The crew is different, the company is different, and the vision will be different. It'll remain structured in the general direction of his previous work I don't doubt, but specifics are still up in the air to many that should be grouped and shown off at this juncture. The gameplay you're talking about doesn't lend synopsis (the ship tour and Hamill's face, for examples), it only reveals a part of it.

I've not played the Alpha too actually but its as easy as a youtube search and you get tons of testers' gameplay, good ones too with analysis, commentary and reviews. So its not hard to get a very good impression of how the gameplay is as of this moment. Reading your earlier messages, (you're looking for narrative, pacing, flow etc etc...hmm i think thats an answer that you will only get with a full game review after the game actually launches. Right now you will only get teasers and trailers since after all, its a game still under development. But thats kind of the deal you get with any games before launch right? You're in luck though since this coming Citizen Con is supposed to focus a lot more on SQ 42.

The gameplay I was talking about btw at least showed us how the different mechanics and systems will perform and function, the major ones. That includes space->planet transitions, landing on planets, getting quests, ship boarding in mid space, seamless Spaceship combat/Star Marine(FPS) in space AND on planetside, mid quests update etc etc. It really is no different to gameplay reveals or trailers from most pre-launched games that I've seen but certainly it comprised a much much larger scope. People has been clamouring to see these mechanics in place so personally, i feel that CiG outdone themselves this time.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

This is the same conpany(purposely spelt it that way) that used backers money to buy a new studio with actual star trek opening doors, $10,000 couches and $5000 coffee machines.

Money well spent right?

This guy has suckered you all into buying him a 5 year long vacation. He is spending your money on a false promise that will never come or deliver.

Just LOL

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Sounds pretty cheap considering what it costs to setup any company with more than a handful of employees. But considering there's a fan out there that spend $30k on SC ships, I think they can cover the costs of that coffee machine and couch just fine.