Staminas system sucks in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Except for Dark Souls, that is.

In every single game aside from that series, The system exists to put you through artificial difficulty and having to micromanaging it.

It shouldnt exist.

I despise The person that created this system.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts
Loading Video...

This is what 40 lambert and butler a day will do to you.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They suck less than your last few threads

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Damn lol

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Recloud is right like always

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Yeah I agree for the most part.

The exception being stamina when sniping (i.e. holding your breath, managing your heartrate, etc). Basically Sniper: Elite, for example, though most games have a "hold ____ to steady your aim" mechanic for sniper rifles.

I mostly dislike how in-depth a lot of games take it, turning it into another resource bar...another stat...another thing to add skill points into...another thing to waste perks/talents on. If you want my character to run out of breath after running a certain distance, fine; just don't turn it into this convoluted game mechanic.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's fine in STALKER: Call of Pripyat. My character can sprint a certain distance when not carrying a lot. But, apply the weight and the sprint distance decreases. Carrying too much weight? The stamina would be gone in a few seconds or my character cannot move altogether. Obviously, there is a carrying weight limit and requires careful management.

There are ways to increase carrying weight such as the use of certain artifacts and enhanced armor.

Managing carrying weight becomes second nature. The menu/inventory screen is in real-time and is designed to quickly jettison items in case I have to lose the weight.

Some armored suits such as the Wing of Freedom allow long sprint times at the cost of thinner armor and more slots for artifacts that enhance stamina.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Shocking, someone thinks that only Dark Souls can do things right.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I generally don’t have a problem with stamina systems myself.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Nioh does it best with ki pulses.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

On topic. It sucks in most games even Dark Souls.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Seems to me that the only objection is if it isn't implemented well. I'm sorry, but I don't view managing my physical energy as "artificial" difficulty. I think it's actually one of the smartest, most natural ways of making combat need more than just button mashing.

I'd take stamina bars any day of the week over bullet sponge enemies.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I'd say it's lame in Souls games too.

Would you rather be able to carve through dozens of enemies without breaking a sweat or some lame guy who needs to catch his breath after swinging your sword twice.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

It's fine here. I'm loaded for bear and looking for trouble. My two weapons are fully loaded, good supply of ammo, and I still haven't reached the 90 kg limit. Just in case: I have a supply of steroid and energy drinks to temporarily enhance carrying ability and stamina. I also have a goldfish artifact that adds an extra 12 kg if I need it and two blue artifacts to increase endurance. No need for them yet.

The only potential negative is everything is in real-time. I have to keep moving while in the inventory screen lest a mutant sneaks up on me.

Edit:

Call of Pripyat is also considered a survival game. It would make sense to have more limits imposed compared to other games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Interesting. But since some games would be way too easy without it, I don't agree.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I don’t mind stamina systems. The problem is developers don’t implement them properly.

My character shouldn’t get tired of running after 10 meters.

My character should be able to hang onto a ledge/monster for more than 10 seconds.

My character shouldn’t be starving/peeing and all this other stuff after 5 minutes of video gameplay.

It becomes a massive chore and it’s unrealistic which goes against the very concept of stamina meters which aim for realism LOL

If my character was massively overweight like “Fat Princess” then yes, her stamina bars should deplete quickly.

But most video game heroes are in good shape and it baffles me how exhausted they get over simple tasks.

It seems like most developers are simply incapable of doing them correctly.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Worst ones are the ones where the last upgrade means you get infinite stamina.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I disagree, I actually am of the opinion that it should be present in more games.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

You know you play too much mobile trash when stamina system makes you think of having to wait 5 hours for it to recharge.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

The health system on STALKER: Lost Alpha is probably my maximum limit on how much health management I want in my games.

There's a thirst bar, hunger bar, and radioactivity exposure bar on the right side, endurance bar, armor protection bar, bleeding bar, and telepathy bar on the left side.

The hunger bar takes a long time to deplete. Thirst depletes sooner than hunger. But, it too takes a long time to deplete. Radioactivity should always be at zero. Otherwise, it'll kill the player. How quickly it depletes is dependent on available cures. Same thing for bleeding. Endurance (aka stamina) depletion depends on the type of suit worn, cargo load weight, and how much sprinting a player does.

There is also sleep which doesn't have a bar of its own. But, lack of sleep can cause blurry vision and staggered walk. Sleeping can regenerate health. But, it also causes hunger and thirst.

Psi-emissions/telepathy? The only viable cure I've seen is putting distance and breaking line of sight between the source and the player's character.

The depletion rates for all health monitors are fair, especially for a survival game. Carrying the required provisions helps keep the character in good health. My character is more liable to be killed by a headshot or shredded by a mutant than die from health concerns.

Oh. The only usable ammo are the ones on the belt (very top). I have to load ammo into the belt when they run low. The belt also holds artifacts that helps my health. So, yeah. The more artifacts I use, the less usable ammo in the belt. I also still need to load the usable ammo into the weapon itself.

Still quite manageable.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Flashlights need new batteries every now and then. When the character eats, it also adds thirst. Gotta have something to wash down the grub. ;)

There's the usual weapon degradation which results in weapon jams and armor degradation.

After some missions, my character would often stagger back on base with the equivalent of the armor being in tatters, weapons jamming more than firing, and everything is in short supply or zilch.

Fun.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@AsadMahdi59 said:

I'd say it's lame in Souls games too.

Would you rather be able to carve through dozens of enemies without breaking a sweat or some lame guy who needs to catch his breath after swinging your sword twice.

It would be incredibly boring if you could just mash away on the attack button. It would turn into Fable; absolute garbage.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: I was thinking more DMC/Ninja Gaiden

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

They're fine when done right, they're terrible when done wrong. I'm looking at you, Skyrim. Early on in the game you can be completely frozen by lacking stamina, but at a certain point you forget it's even a thing. There's literally no in-between. If you're going to have a mechanic in the game at least make sure it has some impact on gameplay past the early game.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@AsadMahdi59 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: I was thinking more DMC/Ninja Gaiden

You only stay on the ground, and the combos are basically 4 hits at most. They'd have to completely revamp the entire combat system, or else it would basically be Fable without a stamina bar, albeit much darker, less cartoony, and still better than that crap series.