Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

There’s already a dissenting trend happening with a new player entering our space and it’s already being dismissed with just puddles of information. The usual fanboys have already begun crying about it.

A new console is exciting and if you claim to be a gamer, you need to be open minded. A new IP, new service, new features, an excuse for the console you presently have to step up their game.

Bring on Stadia I say!

edit: That controller I’m not so sure about though.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

no thanks

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@Sevenizz: going to be a tough sell on streaming consoles..just seems like its doomed to fail..pun intended

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its not a console its a service.

I am curious but also I am sceptical because I am not a child, things rarely work as advertised. As for the advertisement of this thing why does it say "up to 4K"?...

If this thing costs $15-20 a month and doesn't include games... After 5 years a console generation it will cost you $900-1200. It would need to cost $7 a month to match a $400 console and its life cycle.

This also doesn't include the fact that your internet speeds need to fast, they tested on a 15Mb connection and it gave them 720/60 and the beta for it was 1080/60 for 25Mb connection, take a guess what speed you would need in order to achieve a 4K/60 stream?...

This thing, has left more question's than it has left me with excitement. Only fools get excited over things for no reason outside of the promise by the company SELLING the product/service.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-google-stream-gdc-2019

From the article above:

If you have a very wide internet connection, Stadia supports 4K video at 60 frames per second with HDR support. However, based on conversations with Google, we expect that 1080p streaming is more likely to be the norm on connections with around 25mbps of bandwidth. Stadia will go lower, dropping down to 720p60 with connections in the region of 15mbps - but having seen it in action with an artificial cap in place, it's clear that fast action causes obvious artefacts on a large, living room display. Google itself considers this to be a 'worse case scenario'. The experience would likely hold up much better on a smaller screen, however.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Sevenizz: I refuse to stream video games in any way shape or form no matter WHO makes it (yes that even means MS) oh and I have been gaming for more than 30yrs, so I am a gamer, and as a gamer I know what I want and this is not it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Its gonna fall flat on its face and die.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I'm for it just because it's Linux based, so that means every game on there has a native Linux version meaning those publishers have zero reason not to release that version on steam or whatever.

This thing is such a dig at MS and their plans, love it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sevenizz

You know, when phonographs went electric (they used to be wind up), people complained that they wouldn’t be reliable enough to enjoy. Boy, were they wrong.

It’s 2019 people. Your internet is about as reliable as electricity. Calm down.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

You know, when phonographs went electric (they used to be wind up), people complained that they wouldn’t be reliable enough to enjoy. Boy, we’re they wrong.

It’s 2019 people. Your internet is about as reliable as electricity. Calm down.

Reliable?... Depends, but is it fast enough?... Not everyone can afford a 200Mb connection. Most people don't even have fibre where they live so even if they could afford it at best the speeds are under 20Mb and you need 25Mb to hit 1080/60 with Stradia.

What speed is your internet?... Because a next generation console is 4K, if you don't have atleast a 200Mb connection the chances of you getting a 4K stream with Stradia are slim.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz

@i_p_daily: I bet you stream your music, have a Netflix subscription, and watch YouTube regularly. Gaming will be no different in the future.

You’ll have no choice so embrace it now.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

Choice is key but physical will always be priority whilst it's available for me.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Internet connections are not fast enough for above 1080p/60 for the vast majority of people.

And those WiFi only devices are not gonna be able to do even that most of the time, so the casuals this is aimed at are gonna have a subpar experience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Sevenizz said:

@i_p_daily: I bet you stream your music, have a Netflix subscription, and watch YouTube regularly. Gaming will be no different in the future.

I'm not into music unless its on the radio in my car, I have no Netflix subscription and yeah I WATCH YouTube videos, not try to PLAY them, so your bet is wrong.

I'm old school and enjoy owning my console and games, and therefor will always fight for a console to be in my entertainment unit and physical games along with it.

So I will not embrace it and if/when this becomes the norm I will become a retro gamer :)

If you like the way gaming is heading good for you, but i'm no less a gamer because I won't give this a chance, just as you're no more a gamer because you will.

Avatar image for theneutralgamer
TheNeutralGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheNeutralGamer
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

@i_p_daily:

@i_p_daily said:
@Sevenizz said:

I'm not into music unless its on the radio in my car, I have no Netflix subscription and yeah I WATCH YouTube videos, not try to PLAY them, so your bet is wrong.

I'm old school and enjoy owning my console and games, and therefor will always fight for a console to be in my entertainment unit and physical games along with it.

So I will not embrace it and if/when this becomes the norm I will become a retro gamer :)

If you like the way gaming is heading good for you, but i'm no less a gamer because I won't give this a chance, just as you're no more a gamer because you will.

And herein lies the problem with the video game community. I consider myself an old school gamer myself and grew up with games in the late 80's, early 90's and on one hand I stand with you on this. On the other hand, this new generation of gamers having grown up with the digital marketplace are going to eat this up in droves due to the fact that console ownership and exclusivity is a dying fad. We see this in console sales numbers dropping generation after generation. Kids will buy whatever the newest Fortnite, Apex, Roblox, etc., is on and the Google Stadia makes it possible for them to play more taxing games without the need for their parents to go out and buy an expensive PC/console that may not offer the newest fad in the future. It also solves the multiplatform issue where two gamers who own different consoles can play together on a platform of their choosing- something even hardcore old-school gamers have been clamoring about as of late.

Are we old school gamers a dying breed? Yeah, we kinda are. But having watched the industry grow from being a niche market to a mega-giant has made me realize that this is a natural evolution for the better and can only help our industry thrive.

By the way, I'm brand new here. Well not really, I have been a Gamespot reader and forum skimmer for over 2 decades and left the forums back when they started charging a subscription. I just couldn't resist replying to the post

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Yeah sure I'll hype this.

I have reservations about streaming but I will save final judgement for after I use it.

I'm also really over the idea of game ownership. The facade has been breaking down since console gen 7.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

I mean are we really getting anything? we are just giving up what we have to be locked behind a service that can be hacked, removed & is legally not owned by us so once it is gone there is no legal obligation that you own it since software is licensed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@Sevenizz said:

Yeah, I don't subscribe to Netflix; I rent and buy the discs.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/i-hate-your-streaming-only-future-how-do-you-feel--33454499/

I'm not embracing this either. No choice, you say, l_p daily? I already watch older movies almost exclusively. What's to stop me from doing the same for games? I only play a few new releases a year anyway. I don't expect this garbage to take over all gaming anyway. Not for a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The only thing I like about Stadia is no downloading the games or patches that's it. I will stick with PC gaming as my primary source of gaming where I have freedom to mod or emulate old games and play VR. May get a PS5 down the road if they have enough SP exclusives that I think warrant a purchase.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I been gaming since 1993 with SNES, Sega Genesis and beyond! The last thing I want to game is a damn streaming device and it doesn't matter if I have the best Wi-Fi (which I do) I don't want to start game streaming from a device. I for one care about quality gaming experience, I game on PC hardware for the best gaming quality experience and digital gaming is as close as I'll ever go but game streaming isn't one of them.

Yes, it is true I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, & Crunchyroll but at leas they are for movie/TV show watching but gaming on a stream device isn't even one of them. PC=Quality gaming experience!

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#21 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

what I see is a service, not a new console. I also see there being input lag problems.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@davillain- said:

I been gaming since 1993 with SNES, Sega Genesis and beyond! The last thing I want to game is a damn streaming device and it doesn't matter if I have the best Wi-Fi (which I do) I don't want to start game streaming from a device. I for one care about quality gaming experience, I game on PC hardware for the best gaming quality experience and digital gaming is as close as I'll ever go but game streaming isn't one of them.

Yes, it is true I have Netflix, amazon Prime, & Crunchyroll but at leas they are for movie/TV show watching but gaming on a stream device isn't even one of them. PC=Quality gaming experience!

The thing is, you already compromise by not having the top tier PC with the best hardware to get the absolute best experience. This is no different.

Its the new blue ocean they are going to dig up with it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@Gatygun: Are you saying my Ryzen 7: 2700/RTX 2070 isn't consider top tier?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I'm for it just because it's Linux based, so that means every game on there has a native Linux version meaning those publishers have zero reason not to release that version on steam or whatever.

This thing is such a dig at MS and their plans, love it.

This.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

I don’t care how fast and reliable my internet service is I simply don’t want to stream my games. For me it’s not about the quality of the service it’s all about the fact that I want to buy and play my games on a physical format on a system that I own. I like how it looks from a collector’s point of view plus it’s the best form of control that I have over the products that I buy.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

meh, if i want real 4k 60 ill upgrade my PC

netflix claims to be 4k as well but the bitrate is garbage. stadia will be the same.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

They'll need a new animal mascot.

Nintendo Sheep, Sony Cows, Microsoft Lemmings. PC gamers are called Hermits, but I never knew if that was a reference to hermit crabs or wandering hermits living in a cave.

How about Stadia Beavers? Stubborn, quick to anger, creating laughter with anatomically suggestive name

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Data caps put a big wrench into this streaming future that the media wants to get hyped up about. America still doesn’t have true unlimited data plans as the so called unlimited data plans have soft caps where they can start throttling you after reaching a limit. Comcast will be licking their chops to charge you more money for more internet to play your games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts

The quality will be lacking (input lag, compression, customization, etc.), but the elastic computing part of it sounds promising. Stacking multiple modules/kits together can potentially exceed what is available with top end PC GPUs. Power of the cloud! LOL

But yeah... the quality just isn't there. So, I would rather invest in high end PC hardware.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Yeah, nope. Not interested at all. Firstly, because I love modding too much, secondly, our internet speeds in the US suck.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I predict it's going to fail. It'll be no good for any game that requires fast reflexes, and obviously anything even remotely competitive is a no go. People are tending towards higher fidelity graphics and image quality - nobodies going to want to play an ugly version of a game with compression artifacts on their nice new 4K TV.

However acceptable the Stadia might seem in the demonstrations at the show, none of it matters. Wait until it's released to the public to see how it performs when thousands of people are using it simultaneously, and how your average internet connection handles it. I reckon it'll be a shit show.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

There’s already a dissenting trend happening with a new player entering our space and it’s already being dismissed with just puddles of information. The usual fanboys have already begun crying about it.

A new console is exciting and if you claim to be a gamer, you need to be open minded. A new IP, new service, new features, an excuse for the console you presently have to step up their game.

Bring on Stadia I say!

edit: That controller I’m not so sure about though.

Open minded? "Its new so it must be great" ... "you don't need hardware" ... "MORE EXCLUSIVES" ... NO.

"Claim to be a gamer".

Yea, which is why I like ownership, I like being able to mod my games, I like having it rendered on my own device. To me as a gamer there is ZERO advantage to gaming moving towards a streaming service.

It's another way of absolute control over the content we view.

The TV industry is already bursting at the seams with so many "Exclusive" subscriptions services that the bubble will eventually pop.... the mobile gaming market is already proof that people will gamble heavily on poor quality games.

Why would I want games I have no control over? It will end up costing more than hardware in the fixed pricing alone.

But hey, if "open minded" means shilling out control over your hobby to f*cking google of all people then be my guest.... I won't be giving them a dime.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I mean, PSNow offers worse specs and fewer features and subs are selling really well. So I disagree with the skeptics - I think if it gets good game support it will sell

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Id rather wait and see if this ir is really the full thing from google I vaguely wonder if they don't have some other card they are going to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

If it isn't free to use, its epic fail like Nvidia Shield.

It's like Valve asking $10 a month to use Steam, so if you stop paying, you can't play any of your games.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sevenizz

@Yams1980: ‘Game streaming is gonna fail badly’

Yea, just like music and movie streaming have, right?

Err, wait...

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sevenizz

@ezekiel43: I bet you’re upset 8Tracks are gone too, eh?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Doesnt work for games, I want to buy the game, put it on the shelf, pull it out and play it when I want.

I dont want to game on a stream of someone elses hardware, also I dont want to rely on internet to play single player games, and lag can happen natively I definently dont want to play multiplayer games online through a stream, sounds like a mess, but who knows might snatch up casuals, I get gamepass, but streaming sucks, psnow sucks, I tried it for a few months, it sucks and a waste of money. I dont want that crap.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

As I keep saying, this is the future... but that future isn't here yet for the mainstream. As Phil & Co keep saying at MS, consoles will still be around going forward and will be the most popular way of playing games (for Xbox, PS & Nintendo fans that is). But streaming is good for people that want it and it opens up gaming to more people who don't want to buy a console.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Yams1980: Yeah, I hate latency. I have my PC in one room and the TV in another. It's all connected via a USB repeater cable and 70 feet of HDMI. Fine for navigating the PC, but the delay makes games almost unplayable. Not worth it. This garbage is going to be even worse for most people.

@Sevenizz said:

@ezekiel43: I bet you’re upset 8Tracks are gone too, eh?

Don't be silly. Makes it hard to take you seriously.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

Once they get latency down to near local levels I personally don't care if the machine is next to me or 1000 miles away. Getting there is another matter entirely.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59068 Posts

Online 2: The Revenge

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Google Stadia is legit! The console fanboys don't like it because their precious consoles now have more competition and are under threat,

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#46 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

I smell a failure.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Three consoles a gen is my limit, if I were to break from that I would just get a gaming PC instead.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts
@speedfreak48t5p said:

I smell a failure.

So do I, this game streaming nonsense sounds like another failed gaming future scheme like OnLive was a few years back.

The infrastructure for latency free streaming isn't there yet and most people still have shitty internet not to mention that PC gamers like myself love mods/customizing our games and this game streaming bullshit completely eliminates that.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I have no interest in streaming video games and I'm rooting for Stadia to fail. If hardware and physical games ever go away then I'm out. I would stick to playing on old consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@unrealgunner: Thats just plain stupid, it has nothing to do with competition.

If it were a console i wouldn't care, the fact that this is a streaming device is why i won't purchase it or any other streaming device no matter who makes it.