Square Enix: ps3/xbox360 long life cycles "worst idea ever"

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Five to six years is normal life cycle for a console imo. If they're too long on the market without a successor, they become sorta stale, even if the devs push them past their capabilities. I think consoles can easily have 10 year life cycles but not 10 years without a "proper" successor. I mean, the NES was great and all, but once the 16-bit machines came out it started to show age. Nintendo did the right thing making a 16-bit system as well. Likewise, they pushed the N64 and it's 3D games despite SNES still having a strong market presence. And GC didn't come out too soon either. Same with the Wii, altho the Wii was a bit underpowered and bet everything on it's unique controller. And if I look at Sony, the PS2 didn't come too soon either. PS1 graphics looked like trash so despite still selling well, the PS2 release time was reasnoble. Perhaps they only case where I would say a console launched too soon was PS3 since PS2 still had a strong going and PS3 could be better if it released later.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] Eidos is Square Enix.whiskeystrike

Crystal Dynamics,IO Interactive,Eidos Montreal (subsidiary of SE). So at the most you're batting .333.

You guys are obviously missing the point here, which is none of them came from the creative (loosely used, I apologize) minds of Squre Enix.

using that logic then neither did this quote stem from them, so the bashing is unjustified.

It's not "that logic", it's the truth. SE's track record this gen hasn't been good.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Crystal Dynamics,IO Interactive,Eidos Montreal (subsidiary of SE). So at the most you're batting .333.

You guys are obviously missing the point here, which is none of them came from the creative (loosely used, I apologize) minds of Squre Enix.

Gxgear

using that logic then neither did this quote stem from them, so the bashing is unjustified.

It's not "that logic", it's the truth. SE's track record this gen hasn't been good.

you're still not tracking.

this quote came from eidos.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts
that's a laugh, I'd say Square Enix's idea to spend 6 years developing the White Engine / Crystal Tools to speed up game development was a much worse idea
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#105 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

This coming from the dev that said it's too expensive to build cities into their FF game?

Chutebox
well said. The cost development is so high, it makes sense to milk a generation for as much as possible these days. Next generation games may see a price hike so I am in no rush to see a new generation. I am really enjoying the games in playing.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

It hasint been god awful ether. I found 13/13-2 to be both very enjoyable experiances.