Square Enix and Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Some people believe that Nintendos decision in the 90's to make the N64 cartidge based wasn't that bad. Alot of great games came out for that console, and any time you ask someone to list top 5 games of all time chances are a N64 game might be on there.

But Square Enix didn't like where Nintendo was going with its console and decided to take the main Final Fantasy series to the new Playstation brand which at the time was alot riskier than staying with Nintendo.

This isn't about arguing about the N64, PS1, or whatever.

But, does Square Enix hold the most important key to this generation of console wars?

If FF XIII went multi-plat would it change the outlook for Sony's shiny new console as much as it seemingly did with the N64?

Or will it not matter so long as it at least comes out on a Sony  platform?

Would this theoritical platform jump detract people from buying a PS3 because their most desired franchise can be found on a cheaper console?

What do you think?

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
They didn't pick Nintendo because of storage issues...
PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts

Very good points

Blu-Ray is cool but its really hard for developers to make games on it duh..

I think SquareEnix will hit the rounds it will still make games for Sony, but as well as Microsoft and Nintendo

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts

Very good points

I think SquareEnix will hit the rounds it will still make games for Sony, but as well as Microsoft and Nintendo

PeterTimpa
Blui Ray isn't the problem, the PS3 is the problem. If you strapped a BR drive to a 360 games would be just as easy to develop, maybe even easier with all the extra storage. The PS3 is just plain hard to develop for. And I think the difference between cartriges and CD's is way bigger than the difference between DVD and BR. I mean apparently Oblivion only takes up 3-4gigs of space on a DVD9, add to that XNA and I don't see games this generation needing anything bigger than a DVD9 or 2.
PayDaMurdaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PayDaMurdaMan
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts

Very good points

PeterTimpa
Blu-Ray has nothing to do with programing. Get your facts straight. The difficulty in programing the PS3 comes from the Cell Broadband processor. It has 7 ununified spu's, which means unlike the 360 the dev's have to program each spu seperate. Once the dev's master this the games could have much more in the way of physics and A.I. over the 360. On topic, yes if you were going to buy the PS3 just for FF then you would buy the cheaper console but I didn't buy it just for FF.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darth-pyschosis
I intended for this to be a discussion of whether Square Enix will be a deciding factor in this generation of console wars, not a format discussion.
SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts

If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan.

Bringing a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I intended for this to be a discussion of whether Square Enix will be a deciding factor in this generation of console wars, not a format discussion.darth-pyschosis
well they moved dragon quest over to the DS and Wii. that is sqaure isnt it.
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan. Brining a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.SuzumeCake

That us simple thinking, that would be true IF 360 did not have duble the install base, meaning that it is not only profit they have to make sure about, but the fct that they can have 2x or 3x that profit if they sell to 360 20million users too !!!

BTW selling low in Japan means nothing, overall sales is what matters, in US,Japan and Europe + worldwide, plus why choose 360 ? Because FF13 could not be done on Wii of course

PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts
[QUOTE="PeterTimpa"]

Very good points

PayDaMurdaMan
Blu-Ray has nothing to do with programing. Get your facts straight. The difficulty in programing the PS3 comes from the Cell Broadband processor. It has 7 ununified spu's, which means unlike the 360 the dev's have to program each spu seperate. Once the dev's master this the games could have much more in the way of physics and A.I. over the 360. On topic, yes if you were going to buy the PS3 just for FF then you would buy the cheaper console but I didn't buy it just for FF.

Yeah you make good point sorry I just really thought it was Blu-Ray and the Cell I just forgot to put that in there
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="SuzumeCake"]If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan. Brining a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.conceru3

That us simple thinking, that would be true IF 360 did not have duble the install base, meaning that it is not only profit they have to make sure about, but the fct that they can have 2x or 3x that profit if they sell to 360 20million users too !!!

BTW selling low in Japan means nothing, overall sales is what matters, in US,Japan and Europe + worldwide, plus why choose 360 ? Because FF13 could not be done on Wii of course

Look. Alot of games can be done on the Wii. They just won't look as pretty.

Anyway, it does seem strange SQ would bring FF to MS consoles when it clearly has great relationships and loads of success with Sony and Nintendo consoles.

I'd think the more logical move would to release on all plats financially speaking.

Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

[QUOTE="SuzumeCake"]If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan. Brining a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.conceru3

Yet the Next Dragon Quest is on the DS. So by that I could say that Dragon Quest cannot be done on the PS2 ;)
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
I intended for this to be a discussion of whether Square Enix will be a deciding factor in this generation of console wars, not a format discussion.darth-pyschosis
No. Maybe if this was last gen, but this time MS is actually getting some Japanese support with Capcom, Mistwalker and a bunch of other promising JRPG's, and the Wii isn't designed for JRPG's, at least not how they are traditionally played.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
They didn't pick Nintendo because of storage issues...TekkenMaster606
Yeah, he mentioned the cartridge medium already; don't you think that suggests "storage issues?"
Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
They should pick the x360 :p
PayDaMurdaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PayDaMurdaMan
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts
Sorry. I do not think they will be the desiding factor but they will sway some to the 360 if they haven't bought a console yet because lets face it the 360 will be cheaper for a long time unless Sony wants to take an even bigger lose per console.
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
[QUOTE="conceru3"]

[QUOTE="SuzumeCake"]If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan. Brining a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.darth-pyschosis

Look. Alot of games can be done on the Wii. They just won't look as pretty.

Anyway, it does seem strange SQ would bring FF to MS consoles when it clearly has great relationships and loads of success with Sony and Nintendo consoles.

I'd think the more logical move would to release on all plats financially speaking.

FF13 can't be done AS IS on Wii, i hate to repeat myself, will never happen, they would only bring it to 360, otherwise it owuld look like a garbage version of PS3 FF13

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
In Japan Dragon Quest going over to Sony was the biggest deal. So since now Dragon Quest is coming back to Nintendo, it's also the biggest deal.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts

If the PS3 fails to sell, SquareEnix will loose money by making Final Fantasy 13 exclusive on the console. & can't understand why they would choose the Xbox360 as a multiplatform console. A machine selling ridiculously low in Japan.

Bringing a downgraded FF13 to PS2, Wii or DS would be a better choice than Xbox360.

SuzumeCake
X360 it may be doing bad in Japan, but Japan isn't the only place were FF games sell. the game did pretty good in NA and Europe and I think that's what squeenix is looking at.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts

SuzumeCake
X360 it may be doing bad in Japan, but Japan isn't the only place were FF games sell. the game did pretty good in NA and Europe and I think that's what squeenix is looking at.
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

Think of it this way, sqaure enix released FF7 for the PS1 because it was new, and the disks could hold more space.

The same thing might happen for the PS3, blue ray is new and it can hold more space, but the difference between back then and now is, we didnt have amazing compressors like we do now.Â