Sony's first party - overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 93 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Sony's first party - overrated, underrated, or just right? (126 votes)

Overrated 40%
Underrated 9%
Just right 51%

I think outside of gaming forums, Sony's first party is highly respected and loved. On the forums, they're over-scrutinized. In that sense, they're underrated. Overall, you really can't hate on their success with games like Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, and much much more. So I'm going to say.. a little underrated. Especially with MS paling in comparison, Nintendo having the same franchises, and PC's not really having any first party lol. Valve hasn't made any new games in such a long time.

Where do you stand on this, SW? Is Sony's first party - overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

I guess MS having no 1st party suddenly makes Sony’s shallow shitty 1st party good? You’ve lowered your standards to the point of now we only get about 5 good games a year across all platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8
deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8
Member since 2019 • 75 Posts

Just right. They're fine and I'm happy they exist. I don't think that such thing as overrated exists.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

They still need a good Co-op multiplayer game, and then I think they have covered all the bases.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

For me personally they are pretty overrated, haven’t played the PS4 ones so can’t comment on those, but from what I have seen they still have the same issues as on PS3...

Played uncharted 1+2 and really don’t get the hype, they are not terrible games but just very average to me....’can’t fault the production cost though!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Sony first party is great. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either lying to themselves because they're jealous that their platform of choice doesn't get these games or because they've never played them. It's why they call them movie games. It's the only thing they have to throw at all the exclusives they don't get to play. It's a factually incorrect term used during diaper baby tantrums.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

Well on here, you got alot of Lems and Hermits hating the shittake out of Sony. But out of it, it's well respected and loved by many. And me having the pleasure of owning every console, I can definitely say that their games live up to the hype. Which is something not very common.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

They are great, but this gen they aren't quite as well rounded (seemingly everything 3rd-person adventure based right now).

But then again, Sony Japan just put out Astro Bot. Which might be a great VR game, but it locks out everyone who doesn't have PSVR (including me). So I think that's part of it, other than the Western AAA games which are mostly PS4, seems like VR has taken a bite of what would probably round out the PS4 lineup.

I'll probably get PSVR at some point, but I basically view that as a separate system (even though some games do offer a choice of straight up PS4 or play with VR).

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9405 Posts

Bloodborne could never be overrated. As a game, it is a masterpiece. It's a shame the PS4 runs the game like crap. Weak frame rate with inconsistent frame times. Really sad. Where is the PS4 Pro patch?

GoW, HZD, and Spiderman are properly rated.

I hope we at least see a remaster on the next gen consoles that update these games to a proper 60fps, because they would all greatly benefit from it.

Uncharted is super overrated.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Underrated of course. Some people hate on bloodborne cause its a sony exclusive. Its obviously the best souls game there is and one of the game of the generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Sony 1st party is excellent and the only reason I buy PS4 and will buy PS5.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Knack 2 is underrated. Fun game and fun platinum to get.

I understand that the 1st Knack wasn't good and that Knack is a meme , but don't sleep on Knack 2.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@the-a-baum said:

They still need a good Co-op multiplayer game, and then I think they have covered all the bases.

All of their multiplayer titles so far haven't sold as well as other games in their genres. Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone, MAG, SOCOM, PS Allstars

There are good games in these franchises (Motorstorm 1/2, Killzone 2, Resistance 1/3) so blame the consumers.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Lems will hate it. Cows are I'll love it

Sheep will claim they still have the best.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

They have a little bit of both. They've definitely done a WAY better job this gen than last gen. Their PS3 first party games were rarely to my liking at all, but now there is a decent number of games I rather like from their studios.

I'm definitely still more fond of the 3rd party exclusives they get.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

All the notable ones are basically all from the same genre, but I guess at least they make fairly polished games. Not my cup of tea though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

Just right.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52431 Posts

Their first party definitely improved over the course of this gen. With stinkers like Second Son, Killzone, Driveclub, uh.. There's other stuff, but it's hard to think back on a bad Sony game I've played in a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Horizon, God of War, & Persona are some of my favorite games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69581 Posts

Why does this thread feel like dejavu ?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts

overall i think just right.

their first party complete their main objective: they fill in gaps in the roster, show off what the PS device can do, sell systems and set them apart from the competition. they also tend to make money (at least the big ones).

overall though their games are not my cuppa. they are a bit too focused on games as art (i also criticise nintendo for their games being a bit too much engineered but if i have to pick between the 2 i would go the nintendo route). gravity rush and shadow of the colossus really are sonys approach personified imho.

GR was a great game to show off the vita...in theory. it had a wonderful atmosphere, a great soundtrack, technically ambitious (huge world with no loading screens where you can fly anywhere...on a handheld) and the game was charming in a way only sony can do. the controls were pants and the mechanics broke down quickly. they tried to hammer in the vitas unique additions and made a mess of it (did they improve it for GR2? i hear mixed things).

shadow of the colossus on the PS2. great idea. wonderful atmosphere. another brilliant soundtrack. pushed the PS2 beyond its limits to be honest. played horribly. low FPS, high input lag, mechanically sloppy. as eurogamer put it a while ago (to paraphrase): its a game that leaves amazing memories but is not a game that's fun to play which is also how i would summarise it. it looks like that has been fixed for the PS4 version though which looks ace.

i dont know if sony have improved on this as i dont have a PS4 but looking at the games i have for the PS3 i really wasnt wowed by much from sony.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

As individual games they are good games. Some of the best. As a library its overrated. Cant see it standalone without combination with 3rd party.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jcrame10

@mandzilla said:

All the notable ones are basically all from the same genre, but I guess at least they make fairly polished games. Not my cup of tea though.

This comment makes no sense. That's like saying Call of Duty, BioShock, Mirror's Edge, Thief, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Overwatch are in the same genre just because they are first person perspective.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

If you like 3rd person action/adventure games with heaps of cutscenes, then you'll love Sony's 1st party studios. Other than that, meh.

And those saying Bloodborne and Spiderman, obviously don't understand what 1st party is.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

This comment makes no sense. That's like saying Call of Duty, BioShock, Mirror's Edge, Thief, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Overwatch are in the same genre just because they are first person perspective.

Ooof yes it is exactly like saying that. The difference is that list will also bring some of the best most popular MP, Coop gameplay out there.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I say just right. They are great at what they do although what they do is very similar it seems. Third person, dramatic games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@dagubot said:

Well Persona isn't first party Sony and you should feel bad for liking that crap ……………… ;P

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mandzilla  Moderator
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

How does it not make sense?

• Uncharted 4 - Third-person action-adventure.
  • God of War - Third-person action-adventure.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Third-person action-adventure.
  • The Last of Us - Third-person action-adventure.
  • Infamous Second Son - Third-person action-adventure.
  • Shadow of the Colossus - Third-person action-adventure.
  • Spiderman - Third-person action-adventure.
  • Detroit: Become Human - Third-person adventure.

I never said they're all identical games of course, just that a lot fit into the same or similar genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Here they're underrated (hated) by rabid lems. Outside of here they're underrated (hated) by rabid fanboys that don't know they're lems. Otherwise the vast majority of people give them deserved praise. That basically sums it up.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10

@mandzilla said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

I never said they're all identical games of course, just that a lot fit into the same or similar genre.

You're either extremely ignorant and never played any of those games or just don't like Sony and are a bad troll.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jcrame10

@crimsonllama said:

@hrt_rulz01: maybe I'm just being a derp here, but what is the difference between a 1st party game and an exclusive?

First party would be the publisher owns the developer making the game. Nintendo & Retro Studios making Donkey Kong, Microsoft & The Coalition making Gears 5, Sony & Naughty Dog making The Last of Us 2.

"Exclusives" can still happen even if the publisher doesn't own the studio developing the game but still acquires the exclusivity rights to the game or the IP. For example, Microsoft funded Sunset Overdrive for it to be exclusive to them but they do not own Insomniac Games or the Sunset Overdrive IP.

Sony funded and owns The Order: 1886, Bloodborne and Until Dawn IPs but does not own the three studios who made those games- Ready At Dawn, From Software, and Supermassive Games.

Edit: also throwing this out there that the term "third party exclusive" means Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft worked a contract deal out with a publisher and one of their developers to make a game timed exclusive or exclusive forever for their hardware. Microsoft paid for Square/Crystal Dynamics for Tomb Raider and Microsoft paid Capcom for Dead Rising 3/4 exclusivity.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jcrame10

@ellos said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

Ooof yes it is exactly like saying that. The difference is that list will also bring some of the best most popular MP, Coop gameplay out there.

Sony's list brings some of the best single player experiences though. You can't expect a publisher to be well rounded in everything. They had a lot of multiplayer titles that couldn't keep up with other titles in their genre, like I mentioned in a previous comment- Motorstorm, Driveclub, Killzone, Resistance, MAG, SOCOM, PS Allstars.

Some of their big games that are more single player focused still have great multiplayer though. TLOU has one of the best multiplayers I have ever experienced and Uncharted 2-3 MP is decent with 4 being alright.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts

I’d say that they are just right. There’s some I like and others that just don’t interest me as much as others. It all depends on what one likes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

If you love movie-games then you will love Sony's first party, but if you don't like movie-games then you will probably consider them to be overrated.

I like games that focus on fun gameplay and don't contantly take control away from me to shift focus to cinematics, so I consider them to be overrated.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jcrame10

@cainetao11 said:
@dagubot said:

Well Persona isn't first party Sony and you should feel bad for liking that crap ……………… ;P

@crimsonllama here's another example of a third party exclusive

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mandzilla  Moderator
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

You're either extremely ignorant and never played any of those games or just don't like Sony and are a bad troll.

Umm no lol, I'm not trolling and I don't hate Sony. Plus why am I ignorant for making an observation? That's the genre classification for all the games I mentioned there.

What's the problem? I never said they were bad games, in fact I actually mentioned how polished Sony exclusives are in my first post. I just prefer other genres to the ones Sony currently focus on, that's all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Oh god, what have you done! You released the hounds!

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I think Somy’s first party is a great companion to Nintendo’s. Nintendo focuses on pure fun and Somy gives you experiences. Great to have both systems.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jcrame10

@mandzilla said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mandzilla said:

Umm no lol, I'm not trolling and I don't hate Sony. Plus why am I ignorant for making an observation? That's the genre classification for all the games I mentioned there.

What's the problem? I never said they were bad games, in fact I actually mentioned how polished Sony exclusives are in my first post. I just prefer other genres to the ones Sony currently focus on, that's all.

to go down your list...there are gamplay variances in all of these titles if you've spent any length of time with them:

Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy are even different from the first 3 on PS3. They are more open with a lot more ways to approach combat. Stealth is more readily available (it's not super deep stealth I'll admit) and more rewarded. You can now mark enemies and avoid enemy encounters altogether. The Twelve Towers chapter of Uncharted 4 alone is an example of how changed and innovated the franchise was from the original trilogy.

God of War- even if you mean the original trilogy or the new one, lol they play nothing like a game like Uncharted, Horizon or Last of Us. God of War is more of a button masher that you can master and learn combos with. Plus Uncharted takes place in the jungles and hidden villages not in Greek or Norse mythology.

Horizon Zero Dawn- an open world game, with RPG elements, where you have a futuristic bow (with lots of upgrades), not even a gun, and robot dinosaurs as enemies. OK.

The Last of Us- stealth based survival horror with crafting elements, limited ammo, limited weapons, limited health (that does not regenerate). I hate when people compare TLOU to Uncharted for example, that's always the easy target people go for. They are not that similar. The one thing I love about the TLOU is the ability to find and keep all your weapons and upgrade them. Uncharted you can only carry one long gun and handgun at a time.

Infamous Second Son- open world superhero game with three categories of powers and a good/bad karma system. If you directly compare it to the other two open games here- God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn- they are nothing alike.

Shadow of the Colossus- I did buy this one but haven't spent a lot of time on it. So far my impression is that it is very isolated and focused on exploring. There is only 10 enemies which are each basically a boss. The horse riding and traversal across the world reminds me more of Ocarina/TP than anything Sony has done. The only other Sony game I can think of where you ride horses is TLOU towards the end of the game briefly, and it's more of a linear scripted section not open like how Shadow is.

Spiderman- you could compare this one to Infamous as they're both open world with superhero elements I agree. Skill tree and other upgrade elements. I compare the traversal and wallrunning to Sunset Overdrive more than anything and that was another game Insomniac made.But it's Spiderman and that sticks out enough for many people.

Detroit: Become Human- this game plays nothing like any of the games on this list. it plays more like Until Dawn or Heavy Rain. Everything is choice based- there's no third person shooting, no first person shooting, no cover based sections etc. to compare it to God of War or The Last of Us or Uncharted.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

With a couple of exceptions, Sony first party has been garbage this gen.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mandzilla:

"Detroit: Become Human - Third-person adventure."

How the Hell is Detroit a third person adventure game? It's literally point and click!

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jcrame10

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@mandzilla:

"Detroit: Become Human - Third-person adventure."

How the Hell is Detroit a third person adventure game? It's literally point and click!

right, lol trolls

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@jcrame10: Well first of all thanks for taking the time to do that write-up, is interesting to read as someone who doesn't own a PS4. I've not played beyond PS2, so only have experience with Shadow of the Collosus and the older God of Wars.

That's why I didn't say all the games are identical, now that would be ignorant. My point was simply that I wish Sony would be a bit more ambitious and diverse in their console stuff as they are in the VR sphere.

It's like they just gave up on franchises like Resistance, Motorstorm, Little Big Planet, Killzone, SOCOM, Gran Turismo etc in favour of a more successful, but more formulaic pattern of games. So many cool IPs they're just sitting on now, similar to Nintendo.

I mean c'mon, even 2019 is playing it pretty safe with The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone and Death Stranding in terms of genre. The only deviation from this would be Dreams, which I hope does well.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@nepu7supastar7: Well it's an adventure game, set in the third-person perspective. Slightly different but not much.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Telekill said:

Sony first party is great. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either lying to themselves because they're jealous that their platform of choice doesn't get these games or because they've never played them. It's why they call them movie games. It's the only thing they have to throw at all the exclusives they don't get to play. It's a factually incorrect term used during diaper baby tantrums.

But I have those games, and I think they're overrated, most of them. Lying? Do I need to post a picture?

Actually, trophies are simpler.

My PS3 trophies: https://psnprofiles.com/AES-738

My PS4: trophies: https://psnprofiles.com/Mister_Ezekiel

They ARE movie games. Watch the Uncharted interviews included on the disc and see how often they talk about making it feel like a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Just Right. Even though I find the Uncharted series is hugely overrated.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I’ve never really thought about it as a whole but I guess overrated as I haven’t felt a need to buy a ps4 this gen - and I usually buy all the console in a given generation. But I’m not a big fan of single player games so obviously their exclusives mean little to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

There special unlike shit xbone exclusives that we've been getting

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@mandzilla said:

yeah agreed, spiderman stood out to me/

The only 2 i really enjoyed were spiderman and ratchet and clank.

god of war

horizon

uncharted

they were good but overated and all follow a similiar template

I think dark souls is overated, i find it repetitive and too slow. so i diddnt care for bloodboune.

blankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blankz
Member since 2018 • 20 Posts

I prefer Halo/Gears/Forza/Ori/ over any sony exclusive.

Most SOny exclusives games are walking simulators with a bit of gameplay here and there, MS games are actually fun to PLAY, played over 200 hours online as well.

Overrated boring shit if you ask me.