Sony UK Boss Calls the US a Land of Cheap People

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts
Great business technique Sony!
jrpgliker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 jrpgliker
Member since 2006 • 663 Posts
I just wonder how US COWS see this comment from their sony dady.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

Right, Americans are so cheap that they are currently in about $2 trillion dollars of consumer debt. Our government? Nearly $9 trillion. Americans love to spend money! Surely Sony has not seen these statistics?

Anyway, it was an extremely dumb comment.

The problem for Sony is the American public perception of just how much a video game console is supposed to cost, and $599 is just too expensive for the mainstream. Even the Xbox 360's price tag of $399 is too expensive.

When the PS2 & Xbox hit $199, that's when sales of those consoles really started to take off - especially for the PS2. $199 is the mainstream pricepoint I think, but that was five years ago. It could be $250-$299 now.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Sony UK Boss Calls the US a ‘Land of Cheap People’ to Justify PS3 Price You Americans with your Julia Roberts and apple pie. EDIT: I am an American, sometimes it's good to make fun of yourself.DaysAirlines

CIA:About those lost WMDS Mr.President,.... it turns out there,.... um.

Bush: Invisible!

CIA: Sure, lets go with that.

Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
Does anyone pay attention to context any more?  He was referring to the cost of living in the US vs. UK. 
sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

Does anyone pay attention to context any more?  He was referring to the cost of living in the US vs. UK.  Corvin

No, I think people just read the headline and then fire off.

This is turning into America v Britain which I think is sad because it was the view of one person from Sony. If he wants to shot himself in the foot let him go ahead. The truth is that the PS3 is cheaper in America than in the UK (so is the Xbox 360 and Wii) and that's about it.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

Idiots like him deserve to be taken outside and shot.

magiciandude
Its so true though :P
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
I live in NYC it's not that cheap to live here compared to the rest of the country.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
going by these forums it sure looks like americans don;t like paying much. you complain about $600 for ps3 what would you think of $1200 or even $660 for x360?
htijerina10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 htijerina10
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts
I live in NYC it's not that cheap to live here compared to the rest of the country.ChiChiMonKilla
heard you guy pay 5 dollars for cokes in places wow
kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"][QUOTE="DaysAirlines"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]Of course the british think were a land of cheap people! We started a REVOLUTION AGAINST them because we didn't wanna pay taxes! hes' just stating the obvious.

I thought that would be water under the bridge by now.

england still needs to apologize for hugh grant.

:lol: I thought that was hilarious..
SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]I live in NYC it's not that cheap to live here compared to the rest of the country.htijerina10

And they have rats as big as cats!
boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

I think what he's trying to say is that North America got the PS3 cheaper than in the rest of Europe including the UK ($840/£425). Seriously though he should have re-phrased what he wanted to say in the first place. sumo1973

actualy we here in the uk get it for around $705/£360 the extra is VAT at 17.5% so blame gordon brown for how much it is here.

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

[QUOTE="htijerina10"][QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]I live in NYC it's not that cheap to live here compared to the rest of the country.SkyRaid

And they have rats as big as cats!

I have never seen giant rats or alligators in the sewers but I don't go down there either as for the cokes yea in the movies/clubs they cost alot but hey I can find almost anything 24 hours a day here and we usually get stuff 1st.

Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
Smart people are smart with their money. It doesn't grow on trees!
KingOfJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 KingOfJersey
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
Well We as Americans spend our money wisely compared to alot of countrys in europe we don't go out and buy ferraris, and lamborghinis and sit by the jaccuzi and sip martinis, of course we are going to complain we never spent that much on video game systems before the PS2 was $300 when it first came out the PS3 is twice the price which = a big deal and these Sony pr's are killing business by saying random comments like that thats really not the classiest thing they can do . Look at nintendo they've been losing for two generations but look at them they just took they're losses and now they are on the rebound I have never heard of them complaining before maybe Sony can learn something from Nintendo (as far as PR's go) the problem is Sony has never lost before and now they are having a terrible reaction to playing third string part of being the best is knowing how to comeback from a loss and we are about to see if Sony has the true heart of a champion!!!
KingOfJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 KingOfJersey
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts

Does anyone pay attention to context any more?  He was referring to the cost of living in the US vs. UK.  Corvin

O yeah another thing the cost of living here is through the roof I live in Massachusetts and I pay about twice as much for rent than my fathers mortgage that PR needs to get his facts right the cost of living is going up here in the U.S. we won't run ourselves into more debt by buying high-end technology when it isn't at the moment necessary most households don't even have HDTV's yet so we are playing mustard and catching up right now to fully enjoy a PS3 we would all have to get an HDTV and that alone could cost in the neighborhood of $1500-3500 I already have one so its not an issue for me but Sony got greedy and try to get slick by pulling off 1 of the biggest coupes in all electronics history they know that as far as TV's go everybody wants a Sony because it is the best you can get top quality and they know that at least 35 million people have a PS2 and want to get a PS3 but we caught on to their scheme like a Greg Maddux fastball, he got the wrong idea about us not all Americans are mindless money-spending zombies (well at least the ones who don't live around hollywood), so he can take his shenanigans elsewhere.

miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
He's right and you all know he's right.
jrpgliker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jrpgliker
Member since 2006 • 663 Posts

It's hilarious. But it's true.FFVII_Madness55

what do you mean ? isi it true that US people are cheap?

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

He's right and you all know he's right.miss_kitt3n

No. The UK is full of snobs.

Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts

Its true. Prices are higher in Europe on just about every product compared to the products in America. Yet its the Americans complaining about the PS3 price.kage_53

Sooo? You act like the PS3 is a necessity. Its not even a luxury. Its a toy. A 600 dollar toy. Maybe its not that Americans are cheap. Maybe its that we're smarter than people in Europe. Who the hell is gonna shell out an aproximate 700 dollars just to play a ps3 game?

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lucas_kelly
Member since 2005 • 5783 Posts
What a moron.
the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
LOL, i like the way he basically says that anyone who says anything bad about ps3 is either listening to haters or lying to get a good story, why cant anyone working for Sony just talk facts instead of spinning all the time, they're gettin worse than poloticioans.
v-vega75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 v-vega75
Member since 2006 • 414 Posts

Well We as Americans spend our money wisely compared to alot of countrys in europe we don't go out and buy ferraris, and lamborghinis and sit by the jaccuzi and sip martinis, of course we are going to complain we never spent that much on video game systems before the PS2 was $300 when it first came out the PS3 is twice the price which = a big deal and these Sony pr's are killing business by saying random comments like that thats really not the classiest thing they can do . Look at nintendo they've been losing for two generations but look at them they just took they're losses and now they are on the rebound I have never heard of them complaining before maybe Sony can learn something from Nintendo (as far as PR's go) the problem is Sony has never lost before and now they are having a terrible reaction to playing third string part of being the best is knowing how to comeback from a loss and we are about to see if Sony has the true heart of a champion!!!KingOfJersey

well said. you said exactly what i was thinking :D

das_beck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 das_beck
Member since 2004 • 1204 Posts
It believe he meant "discriminating". The Japanese would've bought an Atari Jaguar if Sony had re-released it for $600 and called it the PS3. Say whatever you want about the US but we are the least racist/biased country in the world and we'll support whatever is the best regardless of where it came from. If you're the best, you'll succeed in the US, period.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Say whatever you want about the US but we are the least racist/biased country in the world das_beck

I'm sorry, I had to lol at this bit. 

jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#77 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

Did anyone read the other links on that page?  I'm curious to see what he'll have to say about the French now.

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06689_PS3s_French_Debut_A_Total_Disaster_95_of_Consoles_Left_Unsold.html

the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
^^^^^^^^ one thing I dopnt like about this link is that it says europe gets a less powerful machine, this simply isnt true. :(