Sony: PS4 no longer top of the line

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No console, maybe except the first Xbox, ever was.

The fact is, both PS4 and X1, are still more powerful than many (maybe most) PCs out there. And lets not forget that closed hardware can reach better results than the same exact hardware on a PC.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

@PAL360 said:

No console, maybe except the first Xbox, ever was.

The fact is, both PS4 and X1, are still more powerful than many (maybe most) PCs out there. And lets not forget that closed hardware can reach better results than the same exact hardware on a PC.

True, but you'd need to go to a junkyard to dig up a PC with a CPU as bad as those in PS4/X1. That's where the console bottleneck is.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony is dropping hints that the PS4 is becoming irrelevant with no games in 2014. DC straight from the top.

Thank you Kaz.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@thegreatgeneral said:

If someone is interested they got that statement from Cort (ICE-team) on a twitter conversation.

"Compare TLOU (2013) to AAA PC Game from 2005" . Eh .? What is he trying to say.?

He's trying to say that compare TLOU (2013) to FEAR (2005) and the AI in TLOU still sucks. You heard it cows. From your very own ICE cream dev.

@scottpsfan

Edit: Hey Scotty, since he's answering about 900pStation powah why don'y you jump in and ask him about tablet CPU and 570 level GPU inside it and might as well ask him if we ever see a game technically beating Mtero 2033 from 2010 ? :D

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#55 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@zeeshanhaider said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

"Compare TLOU (2013) to AAA PC Game from 2005" . Eh .? What is he trying to say.?

He's trying to say that compare TLOU (2013) to FEAR (2005) and the AI in TLOU still sucks. You heard it cows. From our very own ICE cream dev.

A sad reality . Still not a single game to top FEAR's AI , even after 9 years . And TLOU AI was bad , even for today's standards .

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@thegreatgeneral said:

If someone is interested they got that statement from Cort (ICE-team) on a twitter conversation.

Context is great. Sorry lemmings.

Unfortunately for them, the Xbone was a piece of shit at launch and stayed a piece of shit.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I'm with everyone else, when was the PS4 top of the line?

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Of course, but that doesn't matter. It's still a big improvement over the PS3, and it's always nice to know that developers will squeeze more and more out of it in the coming years, as console developers always do, as pointed out by the programmer.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#59 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No longer top of the line? It wasn't top of the line in the first place, ever.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

The system has a DUMBED DOWN (caps lock to emphasize the "dumbed down" part) version of a 3 YEAR OLD LAPTOP gpu. (caps lock to emphasize the "laptop" and "3 year old" parts).

It was never top of the line hardware.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PAL360

@7mdma:

Sure, but then again, it's not fair to compare the same hardware on a PC and a console.

I'm sure that a PC from 2005 would never run The Last of Us and Halo 4 as good as last gen consoles did.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44087 Posts

Sadly, unlike Xbox & 360 at launch, this gen consoles never were top of the line sooo, just sayin.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

"no longer top of the line"... It was never top of the line. Usually (Hell, as long as I could remember) next gen consoles are quite beefy, but not this gen.

Someone screen cap this; There will be new consoles in 5 years time. I'm calling it.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts
@PAL360 said:

I'm sure that a PC from 2005 would never run The Last of Us and Halo 4 as good as last gen consoles did.

How you are sure about that? Last of Us and Halo 4 have not a PC version so you cannot know how a GPU like the ATI x1900 (practically a 2005 technology) will play these games. For exampel Crysis 2 on this GPU can play with similar graphics and performance like the console versions.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PAL360

@MK-Professor:

Well, i'm not sure, i just doubt.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Cloud_imperium:

He's saying that The Last of Us looks better than PC AAA games from 2005. He is saying this because the PS3's hardware is from 2005. It might be a bit silly, but I think it's pretty easy to understand what he is saying.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

At least PS4 can do 1080p. We should all be thankful for that.

So can the Xb1...

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

ps4.5 coming out later this year

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I really hope this generation of consoles will lead is to a much shorter generation cycle. every 4 years a new console is announced and released in the 5th year of the last gen.. We milked these things far too long last gen.

I am perfectly fine with spending 400 bucks every 5 years..

Also if next consoles support x86 architecture there is no excuse for backwards compatibility to be left out now.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@treedoor said:

No longer top of the line?

More like "has never been top of the line".

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14:

So, you are going to ask him or not?

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Sony: We don't know why we are selling so many PS4's

Sony: The PS4 specs are already outdated

They must be so proud

ahaha i actually laughed out loud

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Alcapello

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

What?

you daddy if you can post some more

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Alcapello

@scottpsfan14 said:
@alcapello said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

What?

you daddy if you can post some more

Admirable input.

Generally speaking.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79  Edited By dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

It never was, it was dated to begin with tablet 1.6ghz cpu that is actually weaker than the ps3 cpu.

"the PlayStation 3 is 2005 era hardware, roughly; compare The Last of Us (2013) to AAA PC games from 2005.”

Obviously newer technology can work on old hardware. But the ps3 was a best, it was a mess, but still a beast. The architecture took many years to learn and utilize, infact in the begining games looked better on ps3. But this time around ps4 is basicly a low end cpu and mid range gpu. Its a pc in a box so expect it to be maxed out in 3 years.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

The by gamers for gamers mantra shinning through and by golly it's a blinding light.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

What?

Didn't you get the notification? I quote you in my post in this thread.

natedollasigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By natedollasigns
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

About graphics...I cant really tell the difference between 1080p and 720p

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14:

Nah....you ask him. I'll probably piss him with all the downgrading pics and then some over all technology. Hey....it's not like me who compared TLOU (2013) to PC from 2005. So, it's like giving a favor to 900pStation if we are comparing UC4 to Metro. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Umm, The PS4 has never been top of the line? And it is not the point for consoles either. As efficient Work envioment as possible, to make the best games they possibly can with as few variables as possible is what consoles have been about since around the PS2 era?

If you buy a COnsole for "top of the line" you are doing yourself a disservice. If you buy it because you like the platform they deliver you do yourself a service, simple eh?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@lostrib said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@lostrib said:

@pimphand_gamer said:

It's x86, theoretically they probably could upgrade the PS4's hardware in a couple years with all games being cross compatible...works for PC, cell phones and tablets and it's open hardware without standards and strict licenses. A couple of proprietary upgrades that doesn't force users to upgrade but devs can take advantage of while maintaining backwards scaled compatibility might possibly work out seeing how consumers are getting used to upgrading electronics every couple of years or so anyway.

...how would they upgrade the PS4's hardware. It's an APU

New upgraded APU. Kinda like the upgrade Nintendo has done with the 3DS. Technically it would be a PS4.3 or something. But its something they should consider if they want to be the power kings.

that's a whole new system though. I thought he was talking about plugging in an upgrade to the actual PS4 system. Perhaps i interpreted that wrong

No, I meant like how, for example, a tablet gets a hardware upgrade and the new games still work on the old tablet as well. PC games can scale back to play on weaker hardware...that sort of thing. Basically the same PS4 with upgraded guts every few years but never forcing anyone to upgrade if they don't want to. Developers can make the newer games take advantage of the new hardware yet scale to the original tier ....as apposed to what they do now which is a completely different system every 5+ years. It was just an idea seeing how it works out well for PC's..etc.

So yeah, it's basically more akin to gaming on a Macbook or something where you may upgrade to the newer model every few years but still have your original library. This method of keeping up with tech might appeal to many seeing as how so many upgrade to new smart phones every 2 years...

Another potential idea, going off the smart phone sales model, Why not instead of paying $500 for a new console, you pay a subscription like on smart phones where you get the hardware and PSN/Live subscription, maybe some gigs of cloud data or something like EA Access and get to upgrade every couple of years as the subscription expires?....Just an idea but seeing how many of you guys seem to hate consoles as they are now, perhaps a different approach is in order.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

They must be so proud

you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think the XB1 specs aren't outdated.

We all know at this point when we buy these machines they're outdated from launch

It wasn't always that way. X360 and PS3 were pretty good compared to PC tech when they launched. But these consoles, especially X1, are not what they could and should have been. Epic Games hit the nail on the head when they said this console generation should have 2.5 tflop machines.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Top of the line... lol

Yeah low end cpu paired with a midrange gpu.

Yeah, other stuff aside, the CPU choices this gen are shocking. AMDs aren't exactly monsters to begin with but these things, clocked at that speed...

@Animal-Mother said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

They must be so proud

you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think the XB1 specs aren't outdated.

We all know at this point when we buy these machines they're outdated from launch

The GPU is more important than the CPU in a gaming console. I think these Jaguar cores are good enough but there should be 12 instead of 8 (2 get dedicated to the OS) and these consoles should have had 24 GPU compute units instead of 12 and 18. Probably would have raised the price to $500 but so be it. This is the first console generation where I've been very disappointed with the specs for all the machines right out of the gate.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#91 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

in other news the sky is blue

Here in Lincolnshire the sky is grey most of the time.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

Nah....you ask him. I'll probably piss him with all the downgrading pics and then some over all technology. Hey....it's not like me who compared 2013 to 2005 and still failed. So, it's like giving a favor to 900pStation if we are comparing UC4 to Metro. :D

Normally asking an API developer about tech means you are serious about it. And showing fanboy downgrade pics of pre rendered cutscenes in a blurry compressed format isn't a solid statement to make. Just saying. I'm sure you have some credibility as a computer scientist amirite? :D

Cutscenes? The real in game scenes mate. And it's not like I have a limit on number of words on twitter to make serious debate, and like they say a picture speaks a thousand words. Oh anyways, the way I see it your precious Ice cream dev have indirectly set a standard for 900pStation games and by molly it's even lower than the one I initially set for it. The way he compared 2013 to 2005, he is indirectly saying to you don't expect anything better than a 2010 PC game. There goes our Crysis 2 mark, Scotty. :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#93 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

compared to top line pc's, off course it isn't. But that doesn't mean the console is awesome and will give us great games

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

Nah....you ask him. I'll probably piss him with all the downgrading pics and then some over all technology. Hey....it's not like me who compared TLOU (2013) to PC from 2005. So, it's like giving a favor to 900pStation if we are comparing UC4 to Metro. :D

lol There is a truck load of gamers on PC stock in 1366x768...lol That is barely over 720p and the biggest resolution use by far is 1080p,up war of 1080p is rare on PC.

Maybe it is because 88% or 90% of PC gamers have hardware under PS4 specs and just a minority own something better,so if 88 to 90% of gamers on PC play under PS4 spec and you are not bother why would we for the PS4 having some 900p games which by the way are a handful or less.lol

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 zeeshanhaider

@tormentos said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@scottpsfan14:

lol There is a truck load of gamers on PC stock in 1366x768...lol That is barely over 720p and the biggest resolution use by far is 1080p,up war of 1080p is rare on PC.

Maybe it is because 88% or 90% of PC gamers have hardware under PS4 specs and just a minority own something better,so if 88 to 90% of gamers on PC play under PS4 spec and you are not bother why would we for the PS4 having some 900p games which by the way are a handful or less.lol

So, a truck load of PC gamers out of 700 million+ PC gamers would be what? 10, 20, 30, 40? okay alright, you win....I give you 100 PC gamers. Yay....El....Tomato, rejoice, there's probably 100 PC gamers playing in 1366x768. :D

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

So, a truck load of PC gamers out of 700 million+ PC gamers would be what? 10, 20, 30, 40? okay alright, you win....I give you 100 PC gamers. Yay....El....Tomato, rejoice, there's probably 100 PC gamers playing in 1366x768. :D

You mean the 700 million gamers with integrated graphics done by Intel since they started using them.?

There are not 700 million gamers on PC,and Intel got to that number by probably counting every single integrated crap they made in history,basically there are like 12Million PC owners with better hardware than the PS4,when GPU stronger had been on sale since 2009,the PS4 is 10 months and already has more than 10 million units sold and by this holiday like i predicted it will pass the numbers of players with stronger hardware quite easy fakeboy..haha

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#99  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

At least PS4 can do 1080p. We should all be thankful for that.

Sure, if you don't mind playing with last gen graphics.

Oh, you mean like the WiiU?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#100 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Consoles aren't for hardware... they are for the games they arbitrarily hold hostage Exclusives!