Sony making a handheld comeback? First look.

• 90 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/27/sony-patents-a-new-kind-of-game-cartridge/?yptr=yahoo

Sony is developing a game cartridge similar in size and scop to a Nintendo switch cart...

So here's my blanket thoughts...

Y'all messed up by not getting a vita. It's still on par with the game library and functionality of the switch, albeit with a much smaller screen.

Sony effed up marketing and supporting the device so I can blame anyone...

If the ps5 is a switch type device I'm so In... Take my money.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Sony and handheld feels like a failure in the making.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Day 1

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

A lot of people like to talk about Sony's failure with the Vita. What about Nintendo going from 150 million units sold with the DS, to 70 million with the 3DS? It's pretty clear that smartphones and tablets had a lot to do with both systems' performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

There never seemed a great reason to buy a Vita in my opinion. And whenever I came close the massively overpriced memory put me off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d
deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d
Member since 2018 • 79 Posts

Everyone should support SONY over the kid friendly company Nintendo that ruined SEGA which was ten times cooler. If anything Nintendo should just end, its for kids or manboys not men. I support SONY 100% if they make it, whatever it is.

I hope its nothing like Switch ugh. But something handheld that is ten times cooler than anything else

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Unless its a part of devices that can play ps5 games I don't see it doing any better then what Vita did. There is just no room for a stand alone handheld systems. Not even for nintendo these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@sauer21: why only 10 times why not 11 or 12. Perhaps ever 15 times cooler?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@boycie said:

@sauer21: why only 10 times why not 11 or 12. Perhaps ever 15 times cooler?

Good question. I just hope they make something along of an updated PS Vita that will sell well. Like just really just a tad bit bigger screen and just make it really good. But its gonna be interesting to see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@sauer21: without put the rip off priced memory of course and some quality games like Zelda and mario and I think it would be a winner!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@boycie said:

@sauer21: without put the rip off priced memory of course and some quality games like Zelda and mario and I think it would be a winner!

Mario and Zelda is for kids. I dont like nintendo games in a nutshell. Well Switch is what made me hate it mostly. Due to the manboys reviewing it online. But i had wii because i thought it was unique. But Zelda went from realism middle ages in SNES N64 to neutral nerd fantasy, and breath of the wild was the last straw. So i absolutely could care less about nintendo games anymore.

But you got a point, i heard the main criticism of Vita is the prize of memory sticks. I dont know if its valid or not, since i dont own a Vita. But i do hope SONY just can market it better as good handheld console and just upgrade it and thats all that is needed in my view. Just make it easy to develop games for with really good hardware the same way PS4 is doing good now

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

If it's like the Switch, then I'm in

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#13 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@TheEroica said:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/27/sony-patents-a-new-kind-of-game-cartridge/?yptr=yahoo

Sony is developing a game cartridge similar in size and scop to a Nintendo switch cart...

Y'all messed up by not getting a vita. It's still on par with the game library and functionality of the switch, albeit with a much smaller screen.

Lol its not even close to the Switch in terms of game library. Granted I really enjoy the Vita and use it as my PS1 classic and it is an excellent little machine if you like importing. However I'm very skeptical of another Sony portable. They made some very big blunders with the Vita.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Even if they are I doubt it's some new fangled technology. After all Switch carts are just SD flash cards set to read only - nothing special about them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I’d be down with that myself. Hopefully they don’t botch like they did with the Vita though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@svaubel said:
@TheEroica said:

Lol its not even close to the Switch in terms of game library. Granted I really enjoy the Vita and use it as my PS1 classic and it is an excellent little machine if you like importing. However I'm very skeptical of another Sony portable. They made some very big blunders with the Vita.

Oh yeah. Because Switch have so many games lol. Let me guess, its mostly all indie games from Steam. Good one. PS4 ftw though

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Wouldn't it be a bit foolish to trust Sony with handhelds?

Sure it turned out okay, but that was despite Sony rather than because of them.

And it's easy to say 'it matches switch' in terms of games, but the switch is just getting started, library is growing and sales are catching it up with the Xbone.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I'd consider it if supported your existing library - atleast the games that work on PS4.

Otherwise probably going to pass.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Another sh*tty switch...fck off sony

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Knowing Sony, they won't support the system themselves... And I wonder if this time 3rd party companies can keep it alive. Now that they found success on the Switch. I honestly don't see Sony having a chance to compete against the Switch. They burnt their bridges with the Vita.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Yeah no Sony proved with the VITA how they're not serious about handheld gaming. At this point it would take a lot from Sony to convince me to buy their handhelds again.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I bought the very first psp, it was a complete paper weight, nintendo has dominated the handheld scene. I wouldnt be surprised if sony copied nintendo on the switch, detachable joy cons and all, kinda like when they showed off their wii motes ooops i mean PS Move.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Nothing will come of this.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator

@sauer21: yikes man, you have some seriously jaded views on Nintendo. They've sustained as long as they have because of one reason, they make compelling games for a wide margin of people... Its not kiddie, and games don't have to subscribe to being overly serious.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

@knight-k: the switch is an awesome device... So many games!! Don't hate.

Pswitch5 is gonna be awesome!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@TheEroica said:

@sauer21: yikes man, you have some seriously jaded views on Nintendo. They've sustained as long as they have because of one reason, they make compelling games for a wide margin of people... Its not kiddie, and games don't have to subscribe to being overly serious.

Well i used to like nintendo, but then nintendo switch happend. I wasnt particularly into nintendo but i still respected them. Maybe my anger is how much American grown men worship this thing quote on manboys, and that is just not the way to live your life in my view. I am not anti fun, but i really dont believe femininity is the way to solve problems, it leads to pain and misery if you cant get stuff out through physical means.

Its either case why i just prefer PC, Playstation and Xbox now, because they have stuff on there that could make the sensitive minds of people who are into that just sort of go away. If the gaming market was flooded with realistic games, it would be the best thing ever.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I'd like to thank Vita owners for beta testing the switch.

You are the real MVP's.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

A lot of people like to talk about Sony's failure with the Vita. What about Nintendo going from 150 million units sold with the DS, to 70 million with the 3DS? It's pretty clear that smartphones and tablets had a lot to do with both systems' performance.

You can't always compare to your biggest hit. I mean geez, Wii sold 100 million, but that's not likely to happen again for Nintendo for along long time.

And yeah smartphones ate up a huge piece of that market, 70 million for a handheld that stumbled out of the gate is amazing.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeezers

@sauer21 said:
@TheEroica said:

Well i used to like nintendo, but then nintendo switch happend. I wasnt particularly into nintendo but i still respected them. Maybe my anger is how much American grown men worship this thing quote on manboys, and that is just not the way to live your life in my view. I am not anti fun, but i really dont believe femininity is the way to solve problems, it leads to pain and misery if you cant get stuff out through physical means.

Its either case why i just prefer PC, Playstation and Xbox now, because they have stuff on there that could make the sensitive minds of people who are into that just sort of go away. If the gaming market was flooded with realistic games, it would be the best thing ever.

Playstation has more manboys, thats where all the Jrpg weeaboo neckbeards play their anime titty games where they pretend to fight monsters while also being a high school virgin.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Unless it's an integral part of PS5, I don't see it happening... they don't have the studios anymore to support a seperate system like Vita.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

70 million is not a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

No thanks. Sony sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@TheEroica said:

Playstation has more manboys, thats where all the Jrpg weeaboo neckbeards play their anime titty games where they pretend to fight monsters while also being a high school virgin.

Those are for swaggers not kids. So its not the same

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

@sauer21: dude, you just stereotyped the hell out of the switch... Femininity? A video game console?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

What if it's not only like Switch but also supports AR/VR on-the-go as well as having a discrete gpu in the dock for supporting 4k gaming and beyond when connected to tv?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

LOL all the Sony fans are like noooooooo and all the Ninty fans are like yesssssss more please!

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@sauer21 said:

Everyone should support SONY over the kid friendly company Nintendo that ruined SEGA which was ten times cooler. If anything Nintendo should just end, its for kids or manboys not men. I support SONY 100% if they make it, whatever it is.

I hope its nothing like Switch ugh. But something handheld that is ten times cooler than anything else

Look up some youtube videos... Sega killed themselves with the 32X and Saturn launch debacle, they turned a Sony partnership down just like Nintendo did... and then PLAYSTATION swept in and took away all their market share with a much better priced and popular system TWICE with the PS1 over the Saturn and the PS2 over the Dreamcast.

Sony killed Sega, not Nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@drummerdave9099 said:
@sauer21 said:

Look up some youtube videos... Sega killed themselves with the 32X and Saturn launch debacle, they turned a Sony partnership down just like Nintendo did... and then PLAYSTATION swept in and took away all their market share with a much better priced and popular system TWICE with the PS1 over the Saturn and the PS2 over the Dreamcast.

Sony killed Sega, not Nintendo

SEGA got much of the blame so it was the time period, overly hysterical democrats who believed violence in video games are bad. And while SONY did something SEGA didnt. It was mostly just Nintendo being annoying. Playstation rules either way. I would prefer SEGA over nintendo every day

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Could be a cartridge for VR head set. Cell Phones own the mobile market now.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jeezers

@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@TheEroica said:

Your manbaby argument is dumb, my grandma is 79 and loves playing super mario world, mario is universally loved by both adults and children, nintendo has the most iconic characters. Then look at persona 5, its all for the weeaboo, neckbeard, fedora wearing, hentai manbabies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@TheEroica said:

Your manbaby argument is dumb, my grandma is 79 and loves playing super mario world, mario is universally loved by both adults and children, nintendo has the most iconic characters. Then look at persona 5, its all for the weeaboo, neckbeard, fedora wearing, hentai manbabies.

But she is a good person. Thats the difference.

Also i am not into those games either, but either case those are just swaggers. I consider manboys much more curse.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jeezers

@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:

Also i am not into those games either, but either case those are just swaggers. I consider manboys much more curse.

I dont know the term swaggers, i just see them as bigger manboys and find their weeaboo BS more toxic. To each thier own

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@sauer21: what's a swagger?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:

I dont know the term swaggers, i just see them as bigger manboys and find their weeaboo BS more toxic. To each thier own

No. See here is the main different. A weeb, JRPG guy or whatever looks like this. Not the one below.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeezers

@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:

No. See here is the main different. A weeb, JRPG guy or whatever looks like this. Not the one below.

lol your being way too nice to the weeaboos

its more like this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:

its more like this

Still ten times better than nintendo manboys who own Switch online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:
@jeezers said:
@sauer21 said:

its more like this

Still ten times better than nintendo manboys who own Switch online

Better in what respect?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@boycie: They are not effeminate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@sauer21 said:

What's wrong with being effeminate?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5bfefe0ca606d

@boycie said:
@sauer21 said:

What's wrong with being effeminate?

Everything. Its sexual abusive, its unatural, it kills your nature as a person when effeminate culture takes over