UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3026 Posts

Sony buys Crunchyroll and now EVO while Microsoft buys Zenimax. Sony,I love you dawg but cmon man this some bullshit lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@uitravioience: Don't worry Sony's going to moneyhat SF6 its all good 🤣🤣🤣

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#53 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Is Microsoft purchasing Sega/Konami still swirling around the internet? MGS and Silent Hill would have Sony fanbuckets pretty pissed I figure,being exclusive to Xbox/PC is what I mean? Was going to buy a PS5 eventually after launching in November but seems like a waste of time and money.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

Xbox is doomed! God PlayStation fanboys are delusional.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

Let's be real this was a waste of money for Sony. They just flushed a ton of money down the drain on a tornament that was already dying and bleeding money anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Fighting games ended in the 90's, have fun!

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Umm what is the ownage here? Evo is still going to be open to all games and platforms. Sony owning it just ensures that there will be enough funding for it. The article on Engadget specifically says this.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Couldn't be a worse poster to make this thread imo. Also op doesn't highlight the reason they did this.

Sony breathed life into the rotting corpse that was evo championship after Mr wizard was finally put on blast for being a creepy sexually harassing douche, despite all he did for the fgc. It was going to go under without this. The pandemic didn't help either of course. By doing this, sony ensured that this culture will continue. I'm glad they stepped in to save evo from crappy leadership. Could have really been anyone, but they have a healthy history with fighting game enthusiasts.

Someone on this board opened a dialog about what Sony does positive for gaming. What a quick slap down that narrative got.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 X_CAPCOM_X

@nintendoboy16: smash will still be in future tournaments if nintendo decides. Markman explained on his Twitter that they are open to all games on any platform.

"Pro gamer" move without the "pro gamer" marketing if you ask me.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 X_CAPCOM_X

@ConanTheStoner: evo was going to end. You may have heard the rumbling about it. This move is actually really surprising and welcome.

It's obviously a part of their initiative to get more entertainment market under their control, but the effects of this move are great. Evo continues.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:

They're alive and well. It just so happens that the most popular ones are on PS4/5/PC and Switch. Sorry you can't participate, lem.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#62 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sleepnsurf said:

They're alive and well. It just so happens that the most popular ones are on PS4/5/PC and Switch. Sorry you can't participate, lem.

I guess you can't wait to see your dream girl in a fighting game. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
Member since 2013 • 421 Posts

Hmm, totally did not see that coming, considering Sony having like zero 1st party fighting games... Aside from that Smash rip-off for PS3, can't remember any other game...🤔

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sleepnsurf said:

LOL, but to give credit where its due; KI reboot was pretty dope and rejuvenated my love for fighting games (btw, i bought the full cross-platform version off MS store before game pass was a thing).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

@WESTBLADE85 said:

Hmm, totally did not see that coming, considering Sony having like zero 1st party fighting games... Aside from that Smash rip-off for PS3, can't remember any other game...🤔

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sleepnsurf said:

LOL, but to give credit where its due; KI reboot was pretty dope and rejuvenated my love for fighting games (btw, i bought the full cross-platform version off MS store before game pass was a thing).

This why fighting games marketing is important to Sony. Ever since Sony got the rights to SFV and sponsored EVO for years, there is always that one or 2 fighting games console exclusive releasing on PS each year, most fighting uses ps4 as main console and new exclusive fighting games getting visibility (announcement or trailers) in EVO tournaments. Last year PS4 got Granblue Fantasy Versus, Gundam Extreme x Maxiboost and Under Night In Birth (PS4, Switch, PC) and this year its Guilty Gear Strive.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I have no idea how big fighting game fanbases are these days as it's not my scene. That said, there's nothing stopping Sony from expanding on EVO to include other genres.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@nintendoboy16: smash will still be in future tournaments if nintendo decides. Markman explained on his Twitter that they are open to all games on any platform.

"Pro gamer" move without the "pro gamer" marketing if you ask me.

"If Nintendo decides..." and you think they want Smash associated with PlayStation or any event sponsored by that part of Sony?

Standing by what I said, and given Nintendo's past actions: Smash in EVO is about as dead as chances to see Bethesda games on PlayStation.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

That some really far-fetched conclusions for a very weak argument. EVO doesn't develop or own fighting games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Funny MS made a fighting game last gen, how many did Sony make again?

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@nintendoboy16: And that would be entirely Nintendo's fault.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#70 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@mazuiface: Okay, and... ? I wouldn't blame them. Besides, the reaction to Nintendo dropping EVO would be "Eric Andre shooting Hannibal Burress"

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

An Online Tournament? Really?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@sleepnsurf: That's weird, cause last gen has had so many great fighting games I couldn't keep up with them all.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Never heard of it. Don’t care. Xbox has been dominating for the past 3 months. Nothing Sony can do at this point will kill Xbox lol.

Game Pass is growing rapidly by the month. Console sales are up. Revenue is up. Large dev acquisitions. Xbox and MS are on a unstoppable roll.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Alive and well eh? Remind me....what’s the name of that ps5 fighting game?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@silentchief said:

@WitIsWisdom: lol a Capcom acquisition would blow Zenimax out of the water. At least in my eyes.

Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, DMC, Mega Man, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Dragon's Dogma, Street Fighter. That would make Zenimax look like Acclaim by comparison.

Yeah and Breath of Fire... maybe SONY would actually do something with the IP.

Most importantly though Marvel vs. Capcom (2 is my favorite fighting game of all time), SNK vs. Capcom, Dark Stalkers. These last 3 plus Street Fighter would make sense after this purchase, but I'm sure they wouldn't do something that cool.. lol

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts
@silentchief said:

@WitIsWisdom: lol a Capcom acquisition would blow Zenimax out of the water. At least in my eyes.

I wasn't talking about in scale of IP's, I was talking about scale of cost. Capcom is right up there with Zenimax in my opinion as well.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

Wow cows are getting desperate! Plus they won’t ever be buying Capcom

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: 'Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, DMC, Mega Man, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Dragon's Dogma, Street Fighter. That would make Zenimax look like Acclaim by comparison.'

Wait, you serious? 😂

Either way, Sony couldn't afford an acquisition of that magnitude. One studio? Maybe. But an entire publishing house? Hell no.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

OH NO. MS tried with Bethesda, but now that Sony has Evo, IT'S ALL OVER. TEH DOOOMS! :-S

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

Is Microsoft purchasing Sega/Konami still swirling around the internet? MGS and Silent Hill would have Sony fanbuckets pretty pissed I figure,being exclusive to Xbox/PC is what I mean? Was going to buy a PS5 eventually after launching in November but seems like a waste of time and money.

Actually owning exclusivity to Pro Evo Soccer (Konami) would be a huge deal for MS. Although, Castlevania too.

I'm not too sure about Sega. They're quite hit and miss with games. They'd get Football Manager I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Once Evo starts pumping out those sweet 1st party exclusives it's game over for Microsoft.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#83 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Some times it's hard to tell if people are trolling or actually serious with the comically high levels of fanboyism. We have people saying Sony is now the go to console for fighting games but EVO doesn't develop any proving the Sony fanboys touting this as some big move don't even know who EVO was or what they do. Is this really the best and brightest of the Playstation community?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@mazuiface said:
@sealionact said:

Yup, Sony buying some kind of niche fighting tournament has deffo put ms buying a publishing house with 8 studios in the shadows 😂

NICHE!? Man, GS posters are ignorant, but even this surprised me.

Of course it's niche! Fighting games are popular with a small minority of gamers, which is why nobody has bothered to make one for Ps5 or XsX. Its also why the tournament itself was going under....not enough people wanted to support it which didn't bring in enough commercial revenue.

Having a fighting game tournament in 2021 makes about as much sense as having a baseball game tournament. Fun for those involved, but the masses haven't even heard of Evo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

And the hit...erm, I mean misses just keep coming. Poo bovine brigade, MS/Xbox causing them sleepless dayz and sleepless nights and driving them even mooaar loony than ever and that's really saying something...

Good stuff. lol :P

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Eoten

@sealionact said:
@mazuiface said:
@sealionact said:

Yup, Sony buying some kind of niche fighting tournament has deffo put ms buying a publishing house with 8 studios in the shadows 😂

NICHE!? Man, GS posters are ignorant, but even this surprised me.

Of course it's niche! Fighting games are popular with a small minority of gamers, which is why nobody has bothered to make one for Ps5 or XsX. Its also why the tournament itself was going under....not enough people wanted to support it which didn't bring in enough commercial revenue.

Having a fighting game tournament in 2021 makes about as much sense as having a baseball game tournament. Fun for those involved, but the masses haven't even heard of Evo.

I'd have to agree. I consider myself a fan of fighting games. I have the latest Street Fighter, Mortal Combat, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and even DOA. But even I wouldn't obsess over them to the point this matters. I mean, I never even heard of EVO until today.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@mazuiface: Yeah, true.

Just hope Sony doesn't Sony it up, just let things flow organically. The games being played, the headliners, the systems they're being played on.

For example, when USF4 was busted on PS4 and they shifted to 360 that year. Wonder if Sony would be petty about something like that.

Admittedly haven't looked into it beyond this thread, maybe they've already clarified their stance on this.

Same. I hope Sony doesn't screw with its format. I'm cool w/ them marketing and expanding PS stuff -- but don't block other platforms. Not cool.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Sounds about right. Playstation is home of the most toxic fanboys and EVO is a melting pot of toxic gamers.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sleepnsurf said:

Does someone who has a Sony avatar really have the right to throw fanboy names at someone else?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@dabear: lem isn't a personal attack - it's a valid faction name. Just saying

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 xantufrog  Moderator

@jaydan: not fanwars; the irony of making such a post shouldn't be lost

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Everyone says that Esports are only going to get bigger from here on out so it may be a smart business decision. I personally don't see the appeal to Esports (or watching gamer streams in general) but I'm older so that may be why. It seems to me it's a bigger deal to younger gamers.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

@silentchief: Why would most third-party developers cut themselves out of making money on Xbox and Nintendo systems by limiting their games just to Playstation or PC?

Do you know how many consumers who buy these games on a casual level don't give a damn about evo, and just want to play the next Mortal Kombat or Dragon Ball Fighter Z 2 on the system they own, which might be the Xbox or Switch?

Unless Sony is willing to toss around money to buy up the exclusive rights to fighting game series, you will still see them come to the Xbox and Switch because it makes no sense to lose millions of consumers just to keep your games locked to the Playstation and PC.

The only real thing that this changes is that Playstation hardware will now be the standard at all tournaments.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@sleepnsurf said:

What isnthe hell are you talking about?

Mortal Kombat X and 11 are on the Xbox One

Injustice 2 is on the Xbox One

Dragon Ball Fighter Z is on the Xbox One

Tekken 7 is on the Xbox One

Soul Calibur VI is on the Xbox One

Samurai Showdown(2019) is on the Xbox One.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is on the Xbox One

Those are all popular fighting games that have shown up on the Xbox One, so why are you spouting off non-sense

In fact, the only two popular fighting games that the Xbox missed out on were Street Fighter V and King of Fighters. I think we also missed out on the Guilty Gear games as well, but those are niche titles.

But the biggest fighting game franchises? The Xbox One got pretty much all of them this generation and we have even gotten stuff like the Street Fighter Collection.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

EVO becoming SW fodder is weird. 😂

All these poorly framed arguments and strong opinions that didn't exist before yesterday.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@vfighter said:

@sleepnsurf: That's weird, cause last gen has had so many great fighting games I couldn't keep up with them all.

Not to mention that Mortal Kombat franchise is still strong to this day and not only that, the new MK movie is right around the corner. Fighting games are still strong to this day hence look at Super Smash Bros.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6868 Posts

@caryslan2: Because most fighting games don't have a casual market. MK11 and DBFZ are one of the few franchises that have that casual base but the rest live and die by the Esports crowd. SF5 to this day is one of the most active communities in fighting games. The Esports crowd rather you want to admit it can keep a fighting game relevant for years.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Eoten

Seems one of EVO's biggest attractions is Smash Bros anyway. If they dip out, the whole organization tanks and Sony is left with a big nothing.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

It's really not that big of a deal.

What's to stop Microsoft from having their own tournament event with their own first party games like Halo? Or Nintendo with Smash, Kart, etc.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 xantufrog  Moderator

@sonic_spark: you mean you don't think this totally "buries" the XBox?