Sony is about to sell PC business - UPDATE SOLD!

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

PC sale are declining for years now and consumer moving to mobile and tablet. They should have sold earlier.

Very true

They need to shore up those devices though. I have not had much experience with Sony mobile devices, but the one we had (Sony Experia X10) was utterly crap. The screen was unresponsive and broke, the charging port broke and it was just not a 'nice' device. Of course all these issues happened a few weeks outside of warranty period.

I hate Apple, but what they do well is provide great support (even out of warranty support) and build a generally reliable device

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@kuu2: comment on movie cuts

They just eliminated a bunch of jobs from SOE.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@juarbles said:

This is the price to pay for supporting real gaming. Meanwhile xboners don't even know what gaming means but get happy over stuff like this. xboners are the cancer destroying gaming. Thankfully the xbone is on its way out for good.

You're delusional kid. Get to school.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts

@kuu2 said:

More from the NYT article.

“It’s almost game over at Sony,” said Yoshiaki Sakito, a former Sony executive who has worked for Walt Disney, Bain & Company, Apple and a start-up focused on innovation training. “I don’t see how Sony’s going to bounce back now.”

Probably won't see many Cows after this little Gem in this thread.

Sad day for them..............and really all of us in the gaming industry.

Little gem?

So I'm trying to find out why you're so fucking depraved: did Sony execs or employees kill your family? wtf

Or are you really that much of a pathetic fanboy?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

The last Sony system I owned was the PS1 ... It was fun to play. I got out of gaming until the original Xbox came out and bought it, then won the 360 and now have an Xbox1.

I say that in order to say this, as a person who games, it would not be good to lose Sony (or Microsoft or Nintendo). When there is a lack of competition there is also a lack of innovation.

Perhaps if one of the 'big 3' went under someone else might see that as opportunity to fill their shoes but that is not a certainty.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 blackace

@regnaston said:

@juarbles said:

This is the price to pay for supporting real gaming. Meanwhile xboners don't even know what gaming means but get happy over stuff like this. xboners are the cancer destroying gaming. Thankfully the xbone is on its way out for good.

I dont understand what this has to do with Microsoft or Xbox at all

This is what happens when Cows have no relevant way of Damage Control bad news concerning their master Sony. They revert to talking about anything bad for the XB1 or Microsoft to make themselves feel better. Microsoft didn't lose $1.10 billion in 2013. Microsoft isn't selling any of their divisions. Yet they think XBox brand is going somewhere.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107  Edited By ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

The problem Sony has now is investment return versus risk, do they fully commit to a project that makes sense for say a 5% return with significant risk or shelve, pc, TV and console and phone business and maybe save 30% over 5 years? This PlayStation now is a big risk to them if you can really stream all PlayStation content through a TV, could this cannibalise console and handheld sales? Will software developers be committed to this format or will it push them to steambox or Xbox?

I really hope they sort themselves out as I've got a lot of Sony products, Vaio laptop, PS3, original psp, Sony a200, and a77 dslr cameras and they are all good products. I'm currently think of a 55" w905 TV as well.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

that's bad if true.

How is their music / movie business doing? I mean, what divisions are considered profitable at Sony?

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

that's bad if true.

How is their music / movie business doing? I mean, what divisions are considered profitable at Sony?

insurance bussiness

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 blackace

@R4gn4r0k said:

I love how Sony pays microsoft for their OS on their laptops

And I love how Microsoft pays Sony for the bluray drive on their Xbones.

You do realize that Sony isn't the only company that makes Blu-Ray drives right? lol!! I haven't opened my XB1 yet, but I bet money they don't have a Sony Blu-Ray drive in there. Blu-Ray was created by 7 different companies, not just Sony.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Sony has already lost smart tv wars, cellphone wars, tablet wars, netbook wars and laptop wars. Only PS brand is left. Lol.

The biggest threat to Sony is not Xbox or PC. It´s Sony itself XD

There cellphones are still holding. Since the Z reboot they have been stable.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

They should have done this a long time ago, their laptops feel like they have that premium Sony price but don't offer anything better than what Lenovo, or Asus would.

With people moving towards tablets this isn't a bad move either, and they could even make a Windows 8 Tablet if they want to offer a PC.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

You do realize that Sony isn't the only company that makes Blu-Ray drives right? lol!! I haven't opened my XB1 yet, but I bet money they don't have a Sony Blu-Ray drive in there. Blu-Ray was created by 7 different companies, not just Sony.

and sony have to pay to microsoft for every xperia phone that sold

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-earns-2-billion-per-year-from-android-patent-royalties-2013-11

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

What's next, Xperias? Bravias? Vita? Playstation?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

@kuu2: Sony doesn't actually make the movies you know. That has nothing to do with movies

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@blackace said:

@regnaston said:

@juarbles said:

This is what happens when Cows have no relevant way of Damage Control bad news concerning their master Sony. They revert to talking about anything bad for the XB1 or Microsoft to make themselves feel better. Microsoft didn't lose $1.10 billion in 2013. Microsoft isn't selling any of their divisions. Yet they think XBox brand is going somewhere.

right because making hundreds of shit posts a month that have 0 relevance to the playstation aside from desperately hoping its parent company fails (which would be bad for the whole industry) have more of a place than negative news about the Xbox system itself.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

what is ironic here is that sonys failure only strengthens the playstation brand.

if that is all they have left they will make sure to not screw it up.

this may be bad news for sony as a whole but probably good news for gamers since sony will be forced to concentrate on the ps4.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Nintendo is DOOOOOOMED!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 blackace

@handssss said:

@blackace said:

@regnaston said:

@juarbles said:

right because making hundreds of shit posts a month that have 0 relevance to the playstation aside from desperately hoping its parent company fails (which would be bad for the whole industry) have more of a place than negative news about the Xbox system itself.

Looks like we have another butthurt Cow. You do realize if Sony goes bankrupt, so does the PS division right? Sony should have sold their PC/Laptop division some 2-3yrs ago. They may end up losing their TV division as well. Also, the Dreamcast failed and SEGA dropped out. Gaming industry continued with no problems. Apple & Amazon seem eager to enter the game console market as well.

Boggle_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120 Boggle_Dragon
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

Lawdy, at the amount of lems all over this like a rabid disease. Must have been a tough few months? This is SW right? So can somebody post some solid links on how this affects the Playstation division or how Playstation is going down because of this announcement?

Tried googling "gaming division to be sold off" and got nothing but news on the potentiality of Xbox being sold. This place is hilarious.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Scipio8:

I, for one, hope Sony makes a strong comeback. Competition = good. W/o Sony, MS would do a lot of dumb things.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Isn't the blu ray tech owned by sony ? :s

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#123 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Does anyone here actually think that this will affect the Playstation brand even a little bit?

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

that's bad if true.

Sony is one of the major owners of VEVO,that's holding very well.

Movie? not sure

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

im curious about something in regards to all these armchair ceo's tooting sonys horn , what type of experience do you have in regards to real world business? a company selling off its assets is a sign of deep imminent peril ,laying off 5000 people is another bad sign. companies doing well purchase assets and hire people, not the other way around. smh at anyone thinking sony wont sell off the playstation brand so the top activist shareholders can get as much money back as they can before the stock is worthless. shareholders could care less if 4 million people feel burnt because they bought something from a company going down the toilet.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

If this was about MS,PC gaming or Nintendo,the virgin basement dwellers would be celebrating right now,bu bu bu sony wuaaaaaa,i don't want this company to go,there won't be dwellers left to make fun of lol.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@me3x12 said:

PC division gone

TV division being heavily considered to be sold looking for buyers.

Cell phones have failed

Vita is going vaporware

Sony Movies profits are way down and still falling.

Michael Patcher says Sony Now is going to be an epic fail

PS4 selling good but can't save this mess it's all over soon. The Order and Second Son running at 30fps da powerz are failing Scotty we need more powwa

Sony credit rating just last week listed as JUNK!!!

IT'S ALL OVER!!!!!!

Their insurance division is still highly profitable

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Is insurance really Sony's main income? What product or brand is giving Sony a steady income? I would have thought VAIO but this happened, so I'm not sure now. Can't be Playstation.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 blackace

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

No it's own by Blu-ray Disc Association - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

This company is run by these companies. --> MIT, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung

Sony just did most of the marketing and promotion for it because it was released in their PS3.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

No it's own by Blu-ray Disc Association - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

This company is run by these companies. --> MIT, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung

Sony just did most of the marketing and promotion for it because it was released in their PS3.

So it's owned by the Blu-Ray disc association, which Sony is part of, so Sony gets a part of every Xbone sold, like I said.

What are you trying to get at ?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

So it's owned by the Blu-Ray disc association, which Sony is part of, so Sony gets a part of every Xbone sold, like I said.

What are you trying to get at ?

Don't bother with him he's a village idiot.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@blackace:

Xbox alone loses Microsoft about 2 billion a year. How much more money does it have to lose before Microsoft hangs you Lems out to dry? The only thing that turns any kind of profit for their entertainment division is Android royalties.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

h

Sony have to pay Microsoft for use of the VC1 codec that is widely used on Blue Ray discs so its swings and roundabouts really. There is lots of patent payment in relation to these consoles, WiFi and Bluetooth as an example, even the rumble tech in the controllers.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

This is great news actually. Their PC division has been bleeding money like crazy over the years due to declining PC sales. Nice, now they'll focus more on the divisions like SCE that bring in money. I guess this means more Playstation epicness over the years :D

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@me3x12 said:

PC division gone

TV division being heavily considered to be sold looking for buyers.

Cell phones have failed

Vita is going vaporware

Sony Movies profits are way down and still falling.

Michael Patcher says Sony Now is going to be an epic fail

PS4 selling good but can't save this mess it's all over soon. The Order and Second Son running at 30fps da powerz are failing Scotty we need more powwa

Sony credit rating just last week listed as JUNK!!!

IT'S ALL OVER!!!!!!

Hey, there is nothing to be worried about they are doing fantastic. Loosing a billion dollars is no big deal for a company sliding into the abyss. I am sure they will be able to afford tons of AAA titles along the way. Look at how many they launched with as proof.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Trimming the fat isn't a bad thing, I haven't seen anyone with a Vaio for years. They have a very real chance at console domination this term once again, I say go for it!

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Sony has the best smart phone on the market IMO I just picked up the xperia z1s great phone. I never cared about pc's because I always built my own.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Dire_Weasel said:

Does anyone here actually think that this will affect the Playstation brand even a little bit?

Off the top of my head that would be Kuu2, BlackAce and me3x12, for sure there's more but I'll just solve this with this page alone.

BlackAce has also been proven wrong and completely shit on more times than I can count between my fingers and toe's. Yet he continues, It's absolutely wonderful.

Lems can no longer argue system tech, developer ease of use and Teh Games (Oh wait, there's titanfall I forgot.) Instead it's all about attacking a company financially, armchair stock holders and analysts are the new face of SW's rodent community.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Thought thread was going to be about SoE.

Leaving thread because it is the typical Company Wars card Lems play because their console is a dickless eunuch.

no sheens don't ever play the company wars card nope not ever.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#142 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: Sony has the best smartphone on the market right now (the Sony Z1) and Sony's got the best commercial projectors (Sony SRX-T540, T420, S110, etc.. they've been #1 the entire decade) as well as consumer projectors (Sony VW1000ES is possibly has the best image quality of any display released in the consumer market), the HW30, HW50 and HW55 mid range projectors along with JVCs X3, X30 and X35 have been the defining projectors in the $2000-5000 range.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#143 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Sony has already lost smart tv wars, cellphone wars, tablet wars, netbook wars and laptop wars. Only PS brand is left. Lol.

Xperia phones are pretty good tho

More than just good, their flagship Z1 has constantly been praised as "best smartphone on the market" and "smartphone of the year" pretty much everywhere.

And before I get accused of being a fanboy my smartphone history is Galaxy S4 < Galaxy S3 < iPhone 3Gs < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia.............

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL....I 'll never understand so called gamers that first call for the demise of Nintendo and then Sony. You want to see an end to gaming as it is? Then keep wishing for that. MS is not going to be the savior and you never ever want MS to be in control.

Anyway business does this all the time. They get rid of non profitable divisions of their company and then have more profit. This will help Sony.

And MS fans......don't rejoice too much because their is talk in MS land about getting rid of the gaming division.

This guy's right. Nobody should die.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Xperia phones are pretty good tho

More than just good, their flagship Z1 has constantly been praised as "best smartphone on the market" and "smartphone of the year" pretty much everywhere.

And before I get accused of being a fanboy my smartphone history is Galaxy S4 < Galaxy S3 < iPhone 3Gs < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia < Nokia.............

Yeah, their Z lineup is pretty damn good. Tablets are also great. It would be really a shame to lose them from the market.

I'm with HTC currently and I hate them. I have One X, it was their flagship and it won't be updated to KitKat. Thankfully, there's always XDA.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Sony actually came in on the black this quarter. And their operating profit wasn't too bad. SOURCE

So the morons in this thread thinking Sony is done are sorely mistaken. Investors also seemed to be happy for the news because the stock went up almost 4%.

As always, System Wars continues to show what a font it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Good move, they're doing something with their TV stuff too i heard. Either way it was needed to be done given the way that sector was haemorrhaging money and it's been received fairly well by investors i think given their stock price rose 5%.

J_O1ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By J_O1ne
Member since 2013 • 129 Posts

Poor lems are so desperate for ownage that they resort to this. I guess that 4.2 million sold is still cutting like a knife lol

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#149  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

"Strong PS4 sales have seen Sony's Game division profits soar, though the company is planning to sell its PC business resulting in around 5,000 layoffs.

The news comes from Sony's third-quarter financial results, which covers the nine months ending December 31, 2013. They reveal the company's Game business made 442bn yen ($4.2bn), which is a 64 percent increase over the 268.5bn yen made the previous year. Though the main reason for this rise was the launch of the PS4, it was partly due to the depreciation of the yen; if currency remained constant, the Game division revenue only rose 33 percent.

Sales of the consoles were all lumped together, so we don't have an updated figure for the PS4 beyond the 4.2 million on December 28. However, combined sales of the PS4 and PS3 on December 31 were 7.8m units, while combined Vita and PSP sales for the quarter were 2m, down from the 2.7m sold the previous year.

In fact, Sony's Game division helped to lift the company's fortunes overall. The Game business drew in a profit of 18bn yen ($172m), which translated into profits of 27bn yen ($257m) for the whole company, up from a loss of 10.8bn yen ($106m) last year.

Despite this, large running costs for the company continue to eat into profits, so the company has announced the sale of its Vaio PC business to Japan Industrial Partners in a bid to combat this. It will instead focus on smartphones and tablets, both of which it says are seeing "significant increase" in terms of sales.

The sale of the PC business means the company will now longer plan, design or develop PC products once the sale is complete. Additionally, due to the fact the TV business won't return to profit by the end of this financial year, Sony will split it out into a wholly-owned subsidiary focusing on the high-end 4K market."

Seems like Sony's doing fine after all and more proof smartphones and tablets are taking over PCs.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Me and a few other lemming brethren warned of this. Cows are going to be in denial right up until the plug is pulled.