Sony has not had a BILLION + selling exclusive ever

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

Since ever

Maybe, im wrong, and someone would like to correct me.....

look at the list of 1,000,000,000+ selling games published by Sony.

/dev/null

NONE of them.  surprised.gif

Now....if anyone has a better source, that states that PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP, PS Vita has infact had a billion selling exclusive since the inception of the universe, I would stand corrected.  

Otherwise......damn.   All dem exclusives and noone bought them. Couldn't even sell a measly billion. Something the tampon does every single day. Pathetic. 

No wonder every single studio that released a PS3 exclusive in 2012 either had to close down, went multiplat, moved to iOS development, or cut ties with Sony alltogether. 

Credit to StrongDeadLift for the text, a user I enjoy. This post was satire and a parody of this post. But let's have a discussion:

Will a video game achieve sales numbers in the billions before humanity becomes a multiplanetary species?

My thoughts - Yes. Angry Birds as a series has over one billion, so it must be coming soon, and we all know that Gears of War Judgement will be the first game to sell one billion copies. 

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Wow that is pathetic. That means Sony has not even managed to sell a game to 1/7th of the world's population.
j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts
So sick of talikng about ps exclusives, lets talk about ms exclusives.....oh wait
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

And if we judged quality solely based on dollars earned, McDonald's would be the best food in the world.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#5 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Frankly, I won't play anything unless 1billion other people are playing it too. I like online gaming you see. It's all about the social experience... what with those 9 year olds cursing and them crazy no scoping kills or whatever you call em. And the lag.. oh and the way every human controlled character hops around like a bunny rabbit on heat. That's the gaming experience I live for.
MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MSXBOX4EVER

And if we judged quality solely based on dollars earned, McDonald's would be the best food in the world.

Merex760

Ah I'm not talking about dollars! I'm talking about units!

Seriously man I agree with you though, popularity isn't a good judge of quality. Did you read it? It was a parody of StrongDeadLift's thread ... MS, Nintendo - nobody has had a billion plus selling exclusive. This is satire. 

Oh well. I guess I'll keep working on new material to keep BPoole entertained. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Sony has never had that recognizable character or heavy hitting franchise. The closest thing is Gran Turismo, which is a realistic driving game, that alone should tell you something about their fanbase.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Kinect Adventures! ImageHalo 3 ImageHalo: Reach ImageHalo 4 Image

Mario Kart Wii ImageWii Sports Resort ImageNew Super Mario Bros. Wii ImageSuper Smash Bros. Brawl ImageSuper Mario Galaxy Image

Gran Turismo 5 Image 

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

The closest thing is Gran Turismo, which is a realistic driving game, that alone should tell you something about their fanbase.

Samus3D

It tells you that realistic driving games might have a broad appeal? And perhaps that Gran Turismo is one of the better ones?

GT == Forza

(GT & Forza) < iracing

When it comes to realism. I'm not sure I could consider GT or Forza realistic ... they're OK with all the assists turned off for sure but they're not simulations. 

Come on man, please don't slander huge segments of consumers just to get your point across. So they like something you don't like, that's OK, why slander them?

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Mario Kart Wii ImageWii Sports Resort ImageNew Super Mario Bros. Wii ImageSuper Smash Bros. Brawl ImageSuper Mario Galaxy Image

Gran Turismo 5 Image 

Samus3D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn0sfQjjoT4TdgvLnWp0m256px-God_of_War_III_not_final_art.jpg256px-Mgs4us_cover_small.jpgInfamous-cover.jpgHeavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpglbp2boxart_01_small.jpguncharted-2-Game-of-the-year-boxart.jpgtumblr_mge2e58Mck1qb63fho1_500.jpg

thumb-6627-1.jpg

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

Another thread bashing PS3 exclusives.How original TC.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
What AAA game has sold over 1 billion? Is there one?
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Merex760
That does not make sense. Does filet mignon cost the same as a Big Mac for example? At least games cost the same amount so it can be judged.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shielder7

Sony has never had that recognizable character or heavy hitting franchise. The closest thing is Gran Turismo, which is a realistic driving game, that alone should tell you something about their fanbase.

Samus3D
GOW isn't heavy hitting? Uncharted isn't heavy hitting? R&C isn't heavy hitting?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Nintendo has sold over 3 billion pieces of software over the life of the company, but no title is going to sell 1 billion copies. 1/6 of the human race deciding to buy anything is crazy, let alone something as relatively niche as AAA games are.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
It would probably end up being a mobile title. I doubt a console game would ever get that many sales.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9552 Posts

Wait what? Billion with a B? or with an M? SONY has sold games in the millions. However, 1,000,000 is a little different than 1,000,000,000... lol

I doubt any single game ever released by SONY even made anywhere near a billion dollars at $60 a pop... lol

You would probably have to start looking at ENTIRE FRANCHISE TOTAL PROFITS for those kind of numbers.... heh

even 1,000,000 (sales) x $60 = $60,000,000 then you have to subtract the price of production etc... so the chances of any single Franchise netting a billion dollars is a long way from reality as well.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Merex760"]

MSXBOX4EVER

Seriously man I agree with you though, popularity isn't a good judge of quality. Did you read it? It was a parody of StrongDeadLift's thread ... MS, Nintendo - nobody has had a billion plus selling exclusive. This is satire. 

Find me one triple A game that has sold 1 billion.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

The closest thing is Gran Turismo, which is a realistic driving game, that alone should tell you something about their fanbase.

Samus3D

Do explain.

stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

Lame almost  every single PS3 exclusive games sold 1 to 8 million plus copies.Also Life times sales will be even  greater....If thats not consider good then you  guys not to get your head out of MS butt to face reality.lol..

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I wonder if there are even a billion game consoles out there.  Probably not.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
This is getting stupid.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

um , nintendo has sold 500 m mario games ,    so nobodys got a game that sold a billion yet, 

and i dont think sony will ever have one sell that much thats just to much  remember 500m mario games is all mario games combined ,  

not one game,  the highest selling mario game i believe is on the ds ,  then close by the wii ,  version of nsmb

smg 1 and 2 sold 10 million , or so ,    64 sold 9 million   or something and 5 m for sunshine i believe last time i checked, 

but ya if any franchise is to hit that number it has to be mario  first  

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 Image 

Samus3D
The problem with Sony is that it has too much variety so their audience doesn't just rely on one or two franchises to entertain themselves. I prefer that Sony is more focused on making games than on SW though.
ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

The Last of Us should sell around that much.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Well Sony is up for the challenge.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Gran Turismo sells more than Halo. Gran Turismo demos sell more than Forza. Uncharted sells more than Gears. God of War sells more than Fable.

1-UPking82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1-UPking82
Member since 2013 • 102 Posts
I don't see how this effects my gaming experience.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Wow that is pathetic. That means Sony has not even managed to sell a game to 1/7th of the world's population. BPoole96
LOL
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
Next anti-Sony thread: " Sony has not had a 11/10 scoring exclusive EVER!" :lol:
razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts
What a fail of a topic...
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

and we all know that Gears of War Judgement will be the first game to sell one billion copies. 

MSXBOX4EVER

How is it possible to fart with your head ?!?

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

Next anti-Sony thread: " Sony has not had a 11/10 scoring exclusive EVER!" :lol:nervmeister

Oh boy, i think that will be posted by little jimmypsn !

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Gran Turismo sells more than Halo. Gran Turismo demos sell more than Forza. Uncharted sells more than Gears. God of War sells more than Fable.

NathanDrakeSwag

Thats the only false statement (and maybe the GT/Halo one, but I'm not sure about that). The rest is true though. Especially when GT5 prologue sold more than any Forza game :lol:

[spoiler] nah, but seriously, all lems do is talk about sales. I guess thats the only thing they can play with because, no gaemz :lol: [/spoiler]
MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MSXBOX4EVER

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Next anti-Sony thread: " Sony has not had a 11/10 scoring exclusive EVER!" :lol:DISSESHOWEDO

That's quite funny too. 

I feel like many people missed the point of this thread as a satirical parody of StrongDeadLift's thread. I did mention it clearly in the OP but it amazes me how many people didn't even get the 'billion' part of the title. 

Oh well. I guess that's just due to people not actually reading threads. 

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

The fact that Sony has issues selling a million copies of it's supposedly awesome exclusives is a little concerning. Not sure why the satire is needed. MS sells a million+ copies of a lot of it's exclusives.

Hell, Perfect Dark Zero sold a million and that game sucked.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="DISSESHOWEDO"]

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]Next anti-Sony thread: " Sony has not had a 11/10 scoring exclusive EVER!" :lol:MSXBOX4EVER

That's quite funny too. 

I feel like many people missed the point of this thread as a satirical parody of StrongDeadLift's thread. I did mention it clearly in the OP but it amazes me how many people didn't even get the 'billion' part of the title. 

Same here, the sarcasm was easily detectable IMO. Its a shame that posts like these aren't technically allowed because I got a good chuckle from it.
MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MSXBOX4EVER

The fact that Sony has issues selling a million copies of it's supposedly awesome exclusives is a little concerning. Not sure why the satire is needed. MS sells a million+ copies of a lot of it's exclusives.

Hell, Perfect Dark Zero sold a million and that game sucked.

StormyJoe

Quake 3 Avatar means you'll get a lot of respect from me, and anyone with good taste. 

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MSXBOX4EVER

[QUOTE="MSXBOX4EVER"]

ohgeez

Same here, the sarcasm was easily detectable IMO. Its a shame that posts like these aren't technically allowed because I got a good chuckle from it.

Thank you sir. I think a post for teh lulz is worthwhile at SW as long as it delivers, you're correct though that technically a moderator could lock it. Even though I authored/plagiarised it, this thread has delivered to me in a roundabout way as some of the comments from people are so serious - I find that hilarious in a joke thread!

As though I'm actually complaining that Sony hasn't had a game sell into the Billions. I'll quote the most hilarious one:

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MSXBOX4EVER

[QUOTE="MSXBOX4EVER"]

[QUOTE="Merex760"]

Shielder7

Find me one triple A game that has sold 1 billion.

This is the most hilarious one by far. I even say nobody has had a billion plus selling exclusive, then someone instructs me to find them a triple A game that's sold over one billion. In their very quote they find the answer, still they hit that Submit button. 

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

wow a lot of lemmings are butt hurt at the rate of ps4 is getting more hyped then the next microsoft system

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Another thread bashing PS3 exclusives.How original TC.

OneInchMan99

He is parodying Strongdeadlift's thread that said that "Sony has not has a MILLION + selling exclusive in 16 months"

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Give Sony another month TC.

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MSXBOX4EVER

Give Sony another month TC.

SolidTy

:D lol good one. A person gets it yaaaay!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Mario is the closest according to wikpedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises#cite_note-MarioFranchise-15

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Wait what? Billion with a B? or with an M? SONY has sold games in the millions. However, 1,000,000 is a little different than 1,000,000,000... lol

I doubt any single game ever released by SONY even made anywhere near a billion dollars at $60 a pop... lol

You would probably have to start looking at ENTIRE FRANCHISE TOTAL PROFITS for those kind of numbers.... heh

even 1,000,000 (sales) x $60 = $60,000,000 then you have to subtract the price of production etc... so the chances of any single Franchise netting a billion dollars is a long way from reality as well.

WitIsWisdom
Their recent office building sale is equivalent to 2 billion games sold though.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises#cite_note-MarioFranchise-15

super600
Don't know if any game's gonna sell higher than that in my life time.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

rjdofu

If the mario franchise continues selling at the rate it's selling it will be near 1 billion or over 1 billion in about 25-40 years

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

If the mario franchise continues selling at the rate it's selling it will be near 1 billion or over 1 billion in about 25-40 years

Maybe the New Super Mario Bros. series sells around 30 million each release.