jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 674 Posts

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/sony_fixes_ps4_internal_clock_battery_issue_with_firmware_update_9_00

Sony has fixed the CMOS battery error and you can use games offline without having a CMOS installed according to this.

This was used to bash Sony with before but it is good that Sony has fixed this

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 912 Posts

Good stuff

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15944 Posts

Oh noes one less ammo for lems.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Never was an ammo for lems to say the least. That conversation about it died because ultimately it is a none issue. People wanted to make it an issue to drive traffic to their news sites for ad revenue but it just wasn't worth anyone's time in the end. But the good news is that now that we're aware of this, it'll be easy to prep for it in the future. People have already discussed what to do and plans to make in the future. It would be worse if we didn't know.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

That’s definitely good. Do wish these companies would think of these from the get go though.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Yeah, I've talked about this before; it wasn't really that big of a deal. A feature in the firmware relied on the PS4's old-fashioned CMOS clock, which is kept running by a replaceable battery. When that battery runs dry, the clock resets back to factory setting when you boot it up. Easy fix: open up the console, replace the battery, manually reset the clock in the firmware or connect to the internet. A simple firmware update would also solve the problem; all that was needed was the will.

Guess Sony found some.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@madrocketeer: That's what SANE posters were saying all along, but this site has a lot of downright trolls and alt accounts so it was blown way out of proportion.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

@davillain- said:
@sakaixx said:

Never was an ammo for lems to say the least. That conversation about it died because ultimately it is a none issue. People wanted to make it an issue to drive traffic to their news sites for ad revenue but it just wasn't worth anyone's time in the end. But the good news is that now that we're aware of this, it'll be easy to prep for it in the future. People have already discussed what to do and plans to make in the future. It would be worse if we didn't know.

I think you mean it shouldn't have been ammo because there was definitely some pot-stirring happening across multiple threads. People who pointed out why this wasn't a big deal were ignored or called fanboys by the usual suspects.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Makes sense. It was most likely unintended behavior, so they fixed it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

Nice

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Great that Sony listened. Seems like nowadays they only do the right thing after the internet implodes.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

Good of them to do.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Great that Sony listened. Seems like nowadays they only do the right thing after the internet implodes.

I am still waiting on Xbox to fix their DRM.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

Hell yes! This is a huge plus for the PlayStation platform for me.

How?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Glad they fixed this.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Because it sucked that the problem existed, and it's good now that it's resolved.

You mean the problem that is less of an issue than the irreplaceable and mandatory SSD?🤔

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@Pedro: For sure, they should fix it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts
@jcafcwbb said:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/09/sony_fixes_ps4_internal_clock_battery_issue_with_firmware_update_9_00

Sony has fixed the CMOS battery error and you can use games offline without having a CMOS installed according to this.

This was used to bash Sony with before but it is good that Sony has fixed this

They deserved to be bashed, even boycotted for that awful design. I haven't bought a single PS game since that news broke. I'm glad they fixed it and now things can go back to normal for PS customers.

Honestly, I question those who hand waived this issue from the start. If you don't put pressure on these companies for doing terrible shit they'll continue to screw over customers.

Now I wonder about the PS3 and PS5 battery issues.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: It's something to consider but there are at least things you can do to mitigate that. Of course further improvements could be made. The main thing in this story is the games will be playable on the consoles without having to perform a server check-in. The Wii, Wii U, and Switch also have this issue. Even the Xbox, Xbox One, and certain 360 models.

As stated before, the CMOS is issue is trivial when compared to the irreplaceable SSD. No game can be played when the SSD fails.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: It's something to consider but there are at least things you can do to mitigate that. Of course further improvements could be made. The main thing in this story is the games will be playable on the consoles without having to perform a server check-in. The Wii, Wii U, and Switch also have this issue. Even the Xbox, Xbox One, and certain 360 models.

My Switch never once has done a server check my switch is 99% offline. Get your facts straight before you lie you don't even online ever for switch games period. As long as your logged into your main account i never ever get checked my switch is offline it can't even check. It only checks if you trying to play SNES/NES app to verify you have online subscription which is required everything else doesn't check ever.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZeroTheHero

@girlusocrazy said:

@zerothehero: I'm referring to internal storage wear reducing system lifetime, not internet checks.

You can buy 1-2 tb sd cards for the switch to store all your games the internal storage shouldn't be used an will last forever.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZeroTheHero

I'm waiting for a resdesign on the ps5 or a slim model I don't like how they didn't iron all this stuff out and are getting better but this shouldn't have been issue now ill wait for redesign that allows more storage without a screwdriver hopefully cerny is working on that and hit himself in the head for that one.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

Exactly, why mitigations must be used to minimize that issue. Unfortunately the storage wear problem also exists in the Wii, Wii U, Switch, Xbox, Xbox One, and certain 360 models.

Nope! Wii is optical only. Wii U has an optical only option. Switch cartridges. Xbox, Xbox One ,360,PS3, PS4 all replaceable hard-drives.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Nope, Wii has 512 MB internal NAND. Switch has internal storage as well. If the magnetic drive in the One or Xbox fail, it's done. Moving parts don't last forever. Some 360s have 4GB internal storage.

I mean if the argument here is you can rely on add-on storage, this is the same for PS5. This is the mitigation strategy so far for preservationists.

Did you miss that part where the Wii can play games using just the optical drive? Did you missed the part where Switch games come on cartridges? Did you missed the part where the Xbox, 360, PS3,PS4 and Xbox One all have replaceable hard-drives?

However, you CANNOT replace the PS5 hard-drive that is required for everything on the system.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Every time you use the Wii it writes to the internal NAND, even just to store something simple like the amount of time you played or which user played what game recently, or settings data. There isn't any case when the NAND never gets wear.

I agree, it's the same with the PS5. Beat you can do is reduce the usage as much as possible and only install to nvme if you're a preservationist. Same with the Wii. The Xbox and One are hopeless. Moving parts and magnetic storage don't last forever.

Would the Wii ability to playing disc stop if the NAND fails? Also, you keep missing the fact that Xbox, 360, PS3,PS4 and Xbox One hard-drives are replaceable. Why are you purposely ignoring this fact?🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro:Yes. The OS loads from.the NAND. The internal Xbox and Xbox One hard drives aren't replaceable, and neither is the flash on some Xbox 360 models. Yes, on those other consoles I didn't mention, storage failure is less of a concern.

The Xbox and Xbox One hard-drives are replaceable. 360 can run games without the hard-drive. Please stop with your misinformation. All of this is deflection from the PS5 hard-drive not being replaceable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: No, the internal drives of the Xbox and the Xbox One aren't user serviceable. Yes, many consoles suffer from storage wear and this is a concern for preservationists.

Please stop. There are many tutorials on the process of changing the hard-drives for these systems. However, what still remains true is that the PS5 hard-drive is not replaceable.

Xbox One

Xbox

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: So if we're using unofficial external hardware a lot of things become possible, including replacing the internal chip storage of various consoles, as well as ways to redirect the internal storage of a console to a different storage media.

"No, the internal drives of theXboxand theXbox Onearen't user serviceable."

This was false and now you are moving the goalpost in desperation. The fact that you are trying to compare off the shelf hard-drive replacement to soldering unavailable NAND chips is 😂🤣.

The fact remains the same, the PS5 SSD cannot be replaced.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: That reporting is not false, that's what MS states.

But as you suggest there are aftermarket solutions. Console repair and enhancement services exist to provide such support, and as you also suggest modders and hackers have been doing this on their own as well, even enhancing console capabilities beyond original spec.

Yes the internal PS5 chip can be replaced. It's a BGA chip, these are replaceable, just like with the Wii U as I mentioned earlier, also the Switch. There might also be a way to redirect the internal storage as with the Wii as I mentioned earlier.

You continue to grasp at straws, the Xbox and Xbox One hard-drive can be replaced with off the shelf parts is an undeniable fact. However, you CANNOT replace the PS5 SSD.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Ok obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Do some research, like all the people who came up with all these aftermarket solutions and those who implemented them their own and those who provide these services did.

There is no research that is needed. You can't handle the reality that the PS5 SSD is NOT replaceable and referencing soldering of unavailable parts as evidence that is replaceable. That is extreme desperation. 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: And the fact remains the same, the PS5 SSD is not replaceable no matter how hard you spin.😊

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: I like that you think by redefining the meaning of replaceable is going to change the fact that the PS5 SSD is not replaceable. Spinning and goal post moving is not going to help you.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: The fact that all Xbox consoles hard drives are replaceable and Nintendo systems can all play games without a hard drive is killing you all because Sony soldered the SSD onto the motherboard.😂