Sony Computer Entertainment America's CEO blames society for PS3's problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerfan11
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Note: EGM questions are paraphrased, Tretton's responses word for word (except stuff in parenthesis)

Question 1

EGM: PS3's launch has had the most negativity of any launch surrounding it, what happened?

Tretton: The problem we have . . . it's society in general. (then talks about how everyone wants them to fail but the PS3 was the most successful launch Sony ever had )

Question 2

EGM: Say they've done checking around and PS3s are sitting on store shelves.

Tretton: Really? If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes I'll give you $1,200. (Then talks about how he can call any retailer and confirm that there are no PS3s on shelves anywhere in NA).

EGM: We just called 18 random locations (Best Buy, EB Games) and half of them had PS3s in stock - some as many as 20 units.

Tretton: We've shipped more than 1 million units to North America... (goes on to imply that retailers are probably lying on the phone about their inventory and backtracks and says that if only 9 out of 18 have PS3s then the glass is half full )

Question 3

EGM: What went wrong with the UMD format on the PSP?

Tretton: The mistake we made with UMD as a movie format was assuming the movie studios understood our consumers and their tastes . . . that they knew what they were doing.

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.
brainiac24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 brainiac24
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
what else can you expect from sony? they blame everything on everyone except themselves.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
wow, sony now owes EGM $1,200
air0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 air0123
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
wow, sony now owes EGM $1,200Dragonblade01
^ very funny, yet true.
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
So, who were the 100 Million people who bought the PS2, if not "society"? :| Sony PR is worthless.
protoman170776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 protoman170776
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts
I really hate that guy. I'll buy a PS3 if that guy gets fired. NO joke!! I'll buy 5 if u want
brainiac24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 brainiac24
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
So, who were the 100 Million people who bought the PS2, if not "society"? :| Sony PR is worthless.HeedleGlavin
they want people to buy their products, but they just **** all over them. It's like they WANT to lose customers.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
That guy owes me $1,200 or two 60gb PS3's which I will then sell.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts

Sony-"Its not our fault, I..Its your fault, y...yeah, you people told us you wanted Blu-ray shoved down your throats....Waaaah waaaah."

Not cool

ScalIywag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ScalIywag
Member since 2006 • 946 Posts

It's always easier to blame others than to admit your own faults.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Its like they dont know when to shutup!

Heck yes I'll own a Ps3 eventualy, but man are these arrogant comments p***ing me off!

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
:? Tretton is becoming the new kuturagi....
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts

Nobody wants a Blu-Ray implant device disguised as a gaming machine, that's Sony's problem. It's not our fault for not wanting them.

YellowPik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 YellowPik
Member since 2004 • 14169 Posts

Tretton: Really? If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes I'll give you $1,200. (Then talks about how he can call any retailer and confirm that there are no PS3s on shelves anywhere in NA).

EGM: We just called 18 random locations (Best Buy, EB Games) and half of them had PS3s in stock - some as many as 20 units.

:lol: Pwned!

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
:? Tretton is becoming the new kuturagi....munu9
Sad but true. Sony has reached "Nintendo circa 1997" status.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fixer293
This should go in the disappointment time line.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

:lol:

That's really sad. Sony doesn't have it in them to blame themselves for the poor launch.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fixer293
Sony should just come right out and tell their fans what they really feel, instead of trying to obscure it.Maybe then they would feel a lot better.
CuDDKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CuDDKiDD
Member since 2004 • 4727 Posts

I can't believe what I just read. I don't know why, but I just can't. I'm not calling the TC a liar or anything. It's just that, someone couldn't possibly be this full of themselves could they??

Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
wow thats crazy he should give me 1,200$$ i was at gamestop and bestbuy today and saw a stack of ps3's at both places
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

[QUOTE="munu9"]:? Tretton is becoming the new kuturagi....Hoffgod
Sad but true. Sony has reached "Nintendo circa 1997" status.

Say what you want about Nintendo being stubborn about media formats, but they have NEVER publicly insulted their customers like Sony has over the last couple of years.  It's insulting at best, and downright disgusting at worst.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fixer293

I can't believe what I just read. I don't know why, but I just can't. I'm not calling the TC a liar or anything. It's just that, someone couldn't possibly be this full of themselves could they??

CuDDKiDD

Yes...their are people out there, in the world, just like this, and they say they really care about there fans, then turn around and blame the fans even when its their own fault.

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.
O_Lineman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 O_Lineman17
Member since 2005 • 1128 Posts
news, i found a PS3 at my Fred Meyers, yes my local Fred Meyers in the morning, came back later on in the day and it was still there, I've proved him wrong, I want my 1,200 dollars! Although I already have a PS3, an extra $1,200 for my computer would be nice.
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts
Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.Socrates88
3 words: proper market research If they did the research, they would have matched their product to consumer demands. They tried to tell consumers what they need and it didn't work.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Note: EGM questions are paraphrased, Tretton's responses word for word (except stuff in parenthesis)

Question 1

EGM: PS3's launch has had the most negativity of any launch surrounding it, what happened?

Tretton: The problem we have . . . it's society in general. (then talks about how everyone wants them to fail but the PS3 was the most successful launch Sony ever had )

Question 2

Tretton: We've shipped more than 1 million units to North America... (goes on to imply that retailers are probably lying on the phone about their inventory and backtracks and says that if only 9 out of 18 have PS3s then the glass is half full )

Question 3

Tretton: The mistake we made with UMD as a movie format was assuming the movie studios understood our consumers and their tastes . . . that they knew what they were doing.

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.gamerfan11
I'll video tape a PS3 sitting on store shelves for an hour then send it to his ***.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Sony: "We did everything right, it's the customers fault for not liking our product" :P
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts
Can I have Trettons phone number. My local walmart had PS3s instock for about 3 weeks. And yes they were the same ones. So by his own words he owes me some money.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fixer293

Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.Socrates88

Wow, you must like people that  say they care about you, spit in your face, and stick daggers in your back. all while cramming a format down your thraot.

Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts

He blames soceity? not the fact that they screwed up?

PS4 to come with built in damage control

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Do they want people to hate them?
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
haha, this topic proves that System Wars is full of Xbox fans. This guy provided no real proof of this interview ever taking place and you all buy it like it's true. The TC claimed he posted what Tretton said word for word...yet it seems Tretton never gets to finish what he was saying....he adds "...." in the end.....
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fixer293
Sony is cracking under the pressure. They seriously need to do something to save face.
Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kriact
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts
Well the PS3 will probably still have a good life. Simply cuz Blu-Ray has really be coming along. 5 out of the 8 biggest film companies are supporting it exclusively. Also Japan prefers it for their next gen console. I wish everyone would go to X360 now. I"ve never been a XBOX fan.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
Wow, this is very low, even for Sony........this guy just got pwned and he owned me money.......
BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts
So wait a minute. I'm a subscriber as well and you got your issue before me. That really pisses me off.
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Socrates88

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.fixer293

Wow, you must like people that take your money, spit in your face, and stick daggers in your back.

"loyal to the end" It's people like you who feel the need to be "secure". People like you who buys products base on the fact the "companies knows what I want therefore they like me". You cry as if Sony is a bad "guy". It's not human. Take it for what it is. A company to give you the best money can buy. Did Tretton hurt your feelings? Did he make you feel less of a man? Stop acting like companies have to care for your needs because none of them do.
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sainraja
Wow, this is very low, even for Sony........this guy just got pwned and he owned me money.......Tulak_Hord
I can't believe I am reading this. Everyone finds this interview to be legit when the TC provided no such proof? He claimed the interview is word for word....then what is this: Tretton: We've shipped more than 1 million units to North America... (goes on to imply that retailers are probably lying on the phone about their inventory and backtracks and says that if only 9 out of 18 have PS3s then the glass is half full ) Goes on to imply? imply what? Why did the topic creator cut the rest of the statement off and added his own anti-ps3 bias?
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerfan11"]All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.Hot_Potato
I'll video tape a PS3 sitting on store shelves for an hour then send it to his ***.

Actually leave the camcorder there and tape till the battery is dead :lol: If you stop it, he'll say : "Teh PS3's were sold!!!! They put in new ones, we have enough supply!!!"
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sainraja
I would like a scan of this said article until I believe anything that was posted here by this guy who cut off everything Tretton said and "paraphrased" what EGM said and claimed it was word for word, yeah okay.
Labinoti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Labinoti
Member since 2004 • 486 Posts

Well like the last guy that stood up for Sony CEO i gotta do the same.  It kinda is society's fault.  A lot of people have dissed the ps3 for being high priced, not like 360,  well i never had a problem with ps2 or ps1 and i think a lot of people make stuff up just to diss ps3 especially people in these forums.  So what if ps3 is priced 100 dollars more than 360 or they could've taken a lot of features off and price like the wii but that wouldn't be sony.  Sony always makes the best products whatever it is

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.Socrates88

Wow, you must like people that take your money, spit in your face, and stick daggers in your back.

"loyal to the end" It's people like you who feel the need to be "secure". People like you who buys products base on the fact the "companies knows what I want therefore they like me". You cry as if Sony is a bad "guy". It's not human. Take it for what it is. A company to give you the best money can buy. Did Tretton hurt your feelings? Did he make you feel less of a man? Stop acting like companies have to care for your needs because none of them do.

Least my company is not ripping me off, and then spitting in my face.

sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sainraja
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.fixer293

All the add-ons are that they force you to buy is not a rip-off, yeah sure.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
While society is to blame for some of the reasons mentioned, Jack should go to a store, look at the PS3s there, then have to pay everyone.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.gamerfan11

Hmm is this true? Or are you doing this just for teh ownage..... Because that would make you an evil genius. Does anyone have the this months EGM?
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Socrates88
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

How is Sony ripping me off? please tell me. Tell me how they spit in my face?
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Socrates88
[QUOTE="gamerfan11"]All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.StealthSting
Hmm is this true? Or are you doing this just for teh ownage..... Because that would make you an evil genious. Does ayone have the this months EGM?

of course it's not true. He paraphrase the hold interview and then added he's own comments.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.sainraja

The key word here is optional, get what you want, when you want, not "you take it now, or no game for you!"

sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sainraja
[QUOTE="StealthSting"][QUOTE="gamerfan11"]All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.Socrates88
Hmm is this true? Or are you doing this just for teh ownage..... Because that would make you an evil genious. Does ayone have the this months EGM?

of course it's not true. He paraphrase the hold interview and then added he's own comments.

This is the actual interview: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156907 Was this a joke? I feel really stupid. =/
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sainraja
[QUOTE="sainraja"][QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

The key word here is optional, get what you want, when you want, not "you take it now, or no game for you!"

....and this time last year everyone was ripping on Sony for doing that.....double standards..