Sony Computer Entertainment America's CEO blames society for PS3's problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#51 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
[QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.Socrates88

Wow, you must like people that take your money, spit in your face, and stick daggers in your back.

"loyal to the end" It's people like you who feel the need to be "secure". People like you who buys products base on the fact the "companies knows what I want therefore they like me". You cry as if Sony is a bad "guy". It's not human. Take it for what it is. A company to give you the best money can buy. Did Tretton hurt your feelings? Did he make you feel less of a man? Stop acting like companies have to care for your needs because none of them do.

Least my company is not ripping me off, and then spitting in my face.

How is Sony ripping me off? please tell me. Tell me how they spit in my face?

Pushing a format on it's customer for a rediculous price, and then get angry with them when said customers  don't want it. When $400 gets you a system just as good ,with the option to upgrade it to HD.

DS_fan_atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DS_fan_atic
Member since 2005 • 4078 Posts
I'm going to buy it so that I can laugh at it...maybe even put it up on my wall

thanks!
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Find, I'll stand up for him. I think he's right that the "gaming" society wants them to fail. Everyone looks at the 360 and then says, " Why can't the PS3 be like the 360?" You know what it's better than the 360. PS standards is too high to please the new "online is the future" gamer. Truth be told, there's not that many online gamers. only 50% of 360 gamers have XBL? Online is important, but it is not the main priority. Everybody want to be Jack. Climb up the beanstalk, and kill the giant. Well, this giant is gentle, and the real ugly faces are the ones who wants it to die.fixer293

Wow, you must like people that take your money, spit in your face, and stick daggers in your back.

"loyal to the end" It's people like you who feel the need to be "secure". People like you who buys products base on the fact the "companies knows what I want therefore they like me". You cry as if Sony is a bad "guy". It's not human. Take it for what it is. A company to give you the best money can buy. Did Tretton hurt your feelings? Did he make you feel less of a man? Stop acting like companies have to care for your needs because none of them do.

Least my company is not ripping me off, and then spitting in my face.

How is Sony ripping me off? please tell me. Tell me how they spit in my face?

Pushing a format on it's customer for a rediculous price, and then get angry with them when said customers don't want it. When $400 gets you a system just as good ,with the option to upgrade it to HD.

Really? Why are you speaking for me? I am part fo the said customers you speak of and I actually like PS3 having blu-ray.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

Pushing a format on it's customer for a rediculous price, and then get angry with them when said customers don't want it. When $400 gets you a system just as good ,with the option to upgrade it to HD.

sainraja

Really? Why are you speaking for me? I am part fo the said customers you speak of and I actually like PS3 having blu-ray.

Honestly? I do too.

I have the 360 and I WANTED SOMETHING Different and something my PS3 could do that my 360 wasn't offering.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Well, after reading that linked interview, he really does come across as arrogant as the TC stated. At first the PR strategy Sony had was funny. Then it became irritating. Now I'm simply confused, because how can a company allow it's public image to depreciate so much? And to blame society? Oh yeah, that will go over real well with the general public...
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 fixer293
It says on the bottom thats not the full interview either.
Avatar image for nextgengaming18
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 nextgengaming18
Member since 2006 • 2719 Posts
"Because we're in that leadership position, there are a lot of expectations thrust upon us and some of them are a little unrealistic. If we were a distant third in the platform race, people would have a warm spot in their hearts for the good old days of PlayStation and they'd actually root for us to get back on top. But I don't know if we want to pay the price to get that kind of [love]." -- Jack Tretton, CEO and President, Sony Computer Entertainment America President in Issue 213 of Electronic Gaming Monthly

The cover of EGM's March issue boasts a PlayStation 3 stained with the red smear of a tomato that's been lobbed at the console and the word "BattleStation!" -- the article looks at what went wrong when the market leader entered this console cycle, and more importantly, SCEA's Jack Tretton explains Sony's side of the story.

In November, due to shortages, Sony sold roughly half as many PlayStation 3's as they'd expected to. But, Sony's PlayStation 3 steadily continued a seemingly uphill climb in the next-gen Gen Now console cycle -- selling 687k units before the end of the calendar year according to NPD figures. Sony has been the market leader for over 10 years. The PlayStation 3's forebears both sold over 100M systems worldwide and the PlayStation 2 was the top-selling gaming machine in December. Yet, the PS3 has faced tremendous amounts of scrutiny, both from mainstream and enthusiast press alike.

Sony's new system has been called a Trojan horse, designed as another way for proprietary technology, like the UMD format or betamax, to infiltrate living rooms and eclipse DVD as the standard disc format.

EGM: Do you believe the PS3 can push the Blu-ray format?

Jack Tretton: I believe we can complement the Blu-ray format. I don't think we can single-handedly drive the Blu-ray format. It's up to the consumer electronics companies; one of the [misconceptions] is that it's Sony's efforts. I don't know that we feel we can or should single-handedly carry Blu-ray on our back. I see it as an asset, though. Blu-ray is a great value for consumers as a movie format, but most importantly [it's of value] to the gamers. Blu-ray does wonderful things for the development community and what they can bring to consumers on Blu-ray ... that's something that no other machine offers.

The perceived loss of exclusives (think Assassin's Creed and more recently, Virtua Fighter 5) precludes discussions on the rising costs of development. Can third parties develop exclusively for platforms before the install bases reach a critical mass?

EGM: How do you nurture innovation when the financial risks are greater than ever?

JT: You better be [Resistance developer] Insomniac, and be a very proven entity if you want us to invest upwards of $30 million and give you three years to develop a game for our platform. I don't think that's a realistic opportunity for somebody right out of college, but conversely, we definitely have development opportunities on PS2, PlayStation Portable and online [downloadable] games, where we are absolutely interested in smaller houses or people that are in the early stages of their development careers.

If somebody asked me, "I wanna get into the games industry. What field is the most wide-open?" I'd tell you it's development. That is the biggest investment we've made in employees on a worldwide basis ... because at the end of the day, you need that compelling software to make your hardware relevant.

Is this console cycle a two-horse race? Nintendo's belief that mainstream involves a brand new way of playing games, and Sony and Microsoft reinforcing the type of gaming experiences gamers have enjoyed since the PlayStation-era, who is Sony's competition this cycle?

EGM: How do you view the Xbox 360 as a competitor?

JT: Well, I wish we had no competition, on one hand. On the other hand I think the competition is good because, as we certainly saw in Japan, we had the whole market to ourselves and that put a lot of pressure on the PlayStation brand. There's not only competition within the games industry, there's a lot of competition in entertainment in general that's going to take [consumers] away, so we want to keep people in gaming. If our competitors get people in the aisle, looking at gaming, reading gaming magazines, we feel that's in our best interest -- we've pulled them away from other forms of entertainment.

EGM: But how do you view the 360 specifically as a competitor?

JT: I think we've got a better machine, I think we've got a better business model, and I think we're going to win in the long term. I'm extremely pleased that we're selling more PS2 units than they are [360 units]. That's something that quite frankly surprised me. But while early indicators are not completely irrelevant, you can't completely ignore them, and I'd be a little concerned if I were them. On the other hand, what concerns me is if the Xbox 360 is being rejected, are the consumers on board with [next-generation] technology and is there enough [demand] there.

EGM: Sony CEO Howard Stringer once ... admitted that the price of the PlayStation 3 is very high, but what we're really paying for is potential. Why can't we pay $600 for something that's worth the price right off the bat?

JT: What have you historically paid or would look to pay? Let's say $299 because that's what you paid for the PS2 when it came out or because that's what the low-end 360 costs. OK, if we're asking you to pay $600 for the high-end PS3, I would point out a couple of things. Historically our platforms have staying power. Not three years, not five years, but 10 years. So are you making an investment for the next 45 days, the next year, the next five years, 10 years? Because that would have a little bit of determination as far as the value.

I understand your point about, OK, the potential is there, but what's there day one? I would say that the PS3 has the best gaming experience of any platform that's ever shipped day one. [You're getting] the combination of great gaming, free online play, Blu-ray movie playback, being able to go online and surf the Internet, the ability to download your pictures, download your videos, rip your music to it ... and that's all stuff that I as a consumer experienced firsthand. If you want the ultimate gaming experience and you value all of those other experiences, all of a sudden 599 bucks doesn't sound like a whole lot of money.

Read the complete Jack Tretton interview and EGM's cover story "BattleStation!" in the March issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly -- on newsstands Feb. 13.

Can you read for god sake. I mean I don't enjoy fanboys that are just idiots. He doesn't once blame the consumers. I know too that I could paraphrase and make up anything, but why don't you just post the god sake article. Instead of giving your idiotic opinion .

niisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 niisan
Member since 2006 • 413 Posts
Looks like there is no money for me, there are no PS3s on the local shelves here...
Oh wait, they still haven't even launched yet! :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
deactivated-5d560a230ad3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 deactivated-5d560a230ad3c
Member since 2004 • 1546 Posts

Well like the last guy that stood up for Sony CEO i gotta do the same.  It kinda is society's fault.  A lot of people have dissed the ps3 for being high priced, not like 360,  well i never had a problem with ps2 or ps1 and i think a lot of people make stuff up just to diss ps3 especially people in these forums.  So what if ps3 is priced 100 dollars more than 360 or they could've taken a lot of features off and price like the wii but that wouldn't be sony.  Sony always makes the best products whatever it is

Labinoti

No sir...the consumer is never at fault for a product failing.  Every company strives to provide a product which consumers want.  As such, it's the company's responsibility to understand its market and create a product which addresses consumer needs.

Otherwise, it's as if someone should open a steakhouse in a city full of vegitarians.

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts

fixer293
Wow...I mean Wow, I'm lost for words. Pushing a format on customers. lol like they did with the CD and DVD? I bought the PS3, so he can't be talking about me "the customer who don't want it". And what if you want that option of HD DVD? Wouldn't it cost the same for a PS3? Yet, PS3 is a ridiculous price. Now with the upgrade of the HD-DVD I want online. What? I have to pay for online with the 360? Well, it's free with the PS3. Guess who paying more for a system using it's full potential.?
user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts

Well like the last guy that stood up for Sony CEO i gotta do the same. It kinda is society's fault. A lot of people have dissed the ps3 for being high priced, not like 360, well i never had a problem with ps2 or ps1 and i think a lot of people make stuff up just to diss ps3 especially people in these forums. So what if ps3 is priced 100 dollars more than 360 or they could've taken a lot of features off and price like the wii but that wouldn't be sony. Sony always makes the best products whatever it is

Labinoti

Exploding laptop batteries for example
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
The PS3 had a successful launch because of all the pent up demand and because it was the successor to the most successful console in the history of video gaming, which helped add to its hype. Sony enjoyed launching the PS3 to a very large fanbase that was eager to buy up their console, a fanbase that was not nearly as die-hard, loyal and large 7 years ago when the PS2 first launched.

The PS3 has the PS2 to thank.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
Can we call him Jack "wow, Sony must really be able to keep a secret" Tretton.
Also since you're on the topic of his wonderful insight...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156907

By the way, if people don't get my reference. Jack is the one that said Killzone was real time in game graphics at E3. His "wow, Sony must really be able to keep a secret" was referring to the fact that he was so proud of Sony for keeping Killzone under wraps so well and it was so good.
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nextgengaming18

The cover of EGM's March issue boasts a PlayStation 3 stained with the red smear of a tomato that's been lobbed at the console and the word "BattleStation!" -- the article looks at what went wrong when the market leader entered this console cycle, and more importantly, SCEA's Jack Tretton explains Sony's side of the story.

In November, due to shortages, Sony sold roughly half as many PlayStation 3's as they'd expected to. But, Sony's PlayStation 3 steadily continued a seemingly uphill climb in the next-gen Gen Now console cycle -- selling 687k units before the end of the calendar year according to NPD figures. Sony has been the market leader for over 10 years. The PlayStation 3's forebears both sold over 100M systems worldwide and the PlayStation 2 was the top-selling gaming machine in December. Yet, the PS3 has faced tremendous amounts of scrutiny, both from mainstream and enthusiast press alike.

Sony's new system has been called a Trojan horse, designed as another way for proprietary technology, like the UMD format or betamax, to infiltrate living rooms and eclipse DVD as the standard disc format.

Jack Tretton: I believe we can complement the Blu-ray format. I don't think we can single-handedly drive the Blu-ray format. It's up to the consumer electronics companies; one of the [misconceptions] is that it's Sony's efforts. I don't know that we feel we can or should single-handedly carry Blu-ray on our back. I see it as an asset, though. Blu-ray is a great value for consumers as a movie format, but most importantly [it's of value] to the gamers. Blu-ray does wonderful things for the development community and what they can bring to consumers on Blu-ray ... that's something that no other machine offers.

The perceived loss of exclusives (think Assassin's Creed and more recently, Virtua Fighter 5) precludes discussions on the rising costs of development. Can third parties develop exclusively for platforms before the install bases reach a critical mass?

EGM: How do you nurture innovation when the financial risks are greater than ever?

JT: You better be [Resistance developer] Insomniac, and be a very proven entity if you want us to invest upwards of $30 million and give you three years to develop a game for our platform. I don't think that's a realistic opportunity for somebody right out of college, but conversely, we definitely have development opportunities on PS2, PlayStation Portable and online [downloadable] games, where we are absolutely interested in smaller houses or people that are in the early stages of their development careers.

If somebody asked me, "I wanna get into the games industry. What field is the most wide-open?" I'd tell you it's development. That is the biggest investment we've made in employees on a worldwide basis ... because at the end of the day, you need that compelling software to make your hardware relevant.

Is this console cycle a two-horse race? Nintendo's belief that mainstream involves a brand new way of playing games, and Sony and Microsoft reinforcing the type of gaming experiences gamers have enjoyed since the PlayStation-era, who is Sony's competition this cycle?

JT: Well, I wish we had no competition, on one hand. On the other hand I think the competition is good because, as we certainly saw in Japan, we had the whole market to ourselves and that put a lot of pressure on the PlayStation brand. There's not only competition within the games industry, there's a lot of competition in entertainment in general that's going to take [consumers] away, so we want to keep people in gaming. If our competitors get people in the aisle, looking at gaming, reading gaming magazines, we feel that's in our best interest -- we've pulled them away from other forms of entertainment.

JT: I think we've got a better machine, I think we've got a better business model, and I think we're going to win in the long term. I'm extremely pleased that we're selling more PS2 units than they are [360 units]. That's something that quite frankly surprised me. But while early indicators are not completely irrelevant, you can't completely ignore them, and I'd be a little concerned if I were them. On the other hand, what concerns me is if the Xbox 360 is being rejected, are the consumers on board with [next-generation] technology and is there enough [demand] there.

EGM: Sony CEO Howard Stringer once ... admitted that the price of the PlayStation 3 is very high, but what we're really paying for is potential. Why can't we pay $600 for something that's worth the price right off the bat?

JT: What have you historically paid or would look to pay? Let's say $299 because that's what you paid for the PS2 when it came out or because that's what the low-end 360 costs. OK, if we're asking you to pay $600 for the high-end PS3, I would point out a couple of things. Historically our platforms have staying power. Not three years, not five years, but 10 years. So are you making an investment for the next 45 days, the next year, the next five years, 10 years? Because that would have a little bit of determination as far as the value.

I understand your point about, OK, the potential is there, but what's there day one? I would say that the PS3 has the best gaming experience of any platform that's ever shipped day one. [You're getting] the combination of great gaming, free online play, Blu-ray movie playback, being able to go online and surf the Internet, the ability to download your pictures, download your videos, rip your music to it ... and that's all stuff that I as a consumer experienced firsthand. If you want the ultimate gaming experience and you value all of those other experiences, all of a sudden 599 bucks doesn't sound like a whole lot of money.

Read the complete Jack Tretton interview and EGM's cover story "BattleStation!" in the March issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly -- on newsstands Feb. 13.

Can you read for god sake. I mean I don't enjoy fanboys that are just idiots. He doesn't once blame the consumers. I know too that I could paraphrase and make up anything, but why don't you just post the god sake article. Instead of giving your idiotic idea of what the article meant. Find a quote here that makes sony appear bad. I noticed that most people actually found a quote which simply amazes me.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

Socrates88

Wow...I mean Wow, I'm lost for words. Pushing a format on customers. lol like they did with the CD and DVD? I bought the PS3, so he can't be talking about me "the customer who don't want it". And what if you want that option of HD DVD? Wouldn't it cost the same for a PS3? Yet, PS3 is a ridiculous price. Now with the upgrade of the HD-DVD I want online. What? I have to pay for online with the 360? Well, it's free with the PS3. Guess who paying more for a system using it's full potential.?

you are paying more, I only payed $400.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SolidTy
[QUOTE="Labinoti"]

Well like the last guy that stood up for Sony CEO i gotta do the same. It kinda is society's fault. A lot of people have dissed the ps3 for being high priced, not like 360, well i never had a problem with ps2 or ps1 and i think a lot of people make stuff up just to diss ps3 especially people in these forums. So what if ps3 is priced 100 dollars more than 360 or they could've taken a lot of features off and price like the wii but that wouldn't be sony. Sony always makes the best products whatever it is

user_nat

"You gotta explode a few batteries to get to the top", haven't you heard that yet?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SolidTy
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="fixer293"]

fixer293

I'm using the full potential of my system, and I payed more than $400.

You must not be running at full potential yet.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 fixer293
Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.
kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts
All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Note: EGM questions are paraphrased, Tretton's responses word for word (except stuff in parenthesis)

Question 1

EGM: PS3's launch has had the most negativity of any launch surrounding it, what happened?

Tretton: The problem we have . . . it's society in general. (then talks about how everyone wants them to fail but the PS3 was the most successful launch Sony ever had )

Question 2

EGM: Say they've done checking around and PS3s are sitting on store shelves.

Tretton: Really? If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes I'll give you $1,200. (Then talks about how he can call any retailer and confirm that there are no PS3s on shelves anywhere in NA).

EGM: We just called 18 random locations (Best Buy, EB Games) and half of them had PS3s in stock - some as many as 20 units.

Tretton: We've shipped more than 1 million units to North America... (goes on to imply that retailers are probably lying on the phone about their inventory and backtracks and says that if only 9 out of 18 have PS3s then the glass is half full )

Question 3

EGM: What went wrong with the UMD format on the PSP?

Tretton: The mistake we made with UMD as a movie format was assuming the movie studios understood our consumers and their tastes . . . that they knew what they were doing.

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.gamerfan11
:lol: That was a great read.. Ah, Sony.. Sigh...
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nextgengaming18
Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.fixer293
PS3 has only 1 game. For god sake. It has been out for 3months.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 fixer293

[QUOTE="fixer293"]Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.nextgengaming18

That ,and all the other excuses are getting old, for a system that was supposed to decimate the competition off the line.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Can we call him Jack "wow, Sony must really be able to keep a secret" Tretton.
Also since you're on the topic of his wonderful insight...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156907

By the way, if people don't get my reference. Jack is the one that said Killzone was real time in game graphics at E3. His "wow, Sony must really be able to keep a secret" was referring to the fact that he was so proud of Sony for keeping Killzone under wraps so well and it was so good.
rgsniper1
Hmm you're right! I didn't notice it was Jack.
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 nextgengaming18

[QUOTE="nextgengaming18"][QUOTE="fixer293"]Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.fixer293

That ,and all the other excuses are getting old, for a system that was supposed to decimate the competition off the line.

Wait, how so? Everybody knew it wasn't supposed to decimate the competition off the line. Missed e3 2005, and 2006 much?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SolidTy

[QUOTE="nextgengaming18"][QUOTE="fixer293"]Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.fixer293

Everyone knew that wasn't going to happen. No system can launch and do that, it just doesn' happen. Fanboys may have suggested otherwise, M$, Nintendo, and Sony may say otherwise, BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

The Next Gen is still being beat by Last Gen, as the PS2 is by far still the king. The Torch has yet to pass.

fixer293

[QUOTE="Labinoti"]

user_nat

"You gotta explode/crack a few batteries to get to the top", haven't you heard that yet?

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="nextgengaming18"][QUOTE="fixer293"]Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.nextgengaming18

Wait, how so? Everybody knew it wasn't supposed to decimate the competition off the line. Missed e3 2005, and 2006 much?

Remember the ol "our system can do 4d, the competitor cannot."Looks like the competitor is kicking their teeth in. 

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Socrates88

You're harmful my good man. A quote from Confucius "He who learns, but do not think is lost. He who thinks, but do not learn is harmful."
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="nextgengaming18"][QUOTE="fixer293"]Thats funny, 360 is not yet using full potential, and games look better.Socrates88

You're harmful my good man. A quote from Confucius "He who learns, but do not think is lost. He who thinks, but do not learn is harmful."

Man, stop trying to spin the subject.And don't call me ignorant.I am not the one defending a failing system.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
This Tretton guy is a D to the bag http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/jack-tretton-on-the-psp-well-own-the-earth-like-we-own-the-ds-202889.php?mail2=true
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
He did a review in Game Informer. After speaking with the manager at my local Gamestop(They gave me a job application :) ),  he told me he thought this guy was an idiot. I chuckled.
Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
its completely true even thought they shouldnt say it to the public. society has decided to hate the ps3, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon. its how people are
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Socrates88
[QUOTE="Socrates88"] You're harmful my good man. A quote from Confucius "He who learns, but do not think is lost. He who thinks, but do not learn is harmful."fixer293

Man, stop trying to spin the subject.And don't call me ignorant.I am not the one defending a failing system.

You want me to take you as a man of truth with that statement? We tell you that PS3 is a good system, but you don't want to learn that. You think it's crap and it's failing. sigh... I'm done talking to you.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SolidTy
[QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"] You're harmful my good man. A quote from Confucius "He who learns, but do not think is lost. He who thinks, but do not learn is harmful."Socrates88

You want me to take you as a man of truth with that statement? We tell you that PS3 is a good system, but you don't want to learn that. You think it's crap and it's failing. sigh... I'm done talking to you.

You guys have been entertaining. Interesting dialogue, and even some nice Philosophical Ownage was brought in!

Everyone knew that wasn't going to happen. No system can launch and do that, it just doesn' happen. Fanboys may have suggested otherwise, M$, Nintendo, and Sony may say otherwise, BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

The Next Gen is still being beat by Last Gen, as the PS2 is by far still the king. The Torch has yet to pass.

fixer293

[QUOTE="Labinoti"]

user_nat

"You gotta explode/crack a few batteries to get to the top", haven't you heard that yet?

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"][QUOTE="Socrates88"] You're harmful my good man. A quote from Confucius "He who learns, but do not think is lost. He who thinks, but do not learn is harmful."Socrates88

You question my tactfulllness, but Im not the one calling others ignorant, am I?

BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84 BlazeDragon132
Member since 2006 • 7951 Posts
He owes me 1,200 dollars. Now pay up, I need PS3 money!
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#85 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Note: EGM questions are paraphrased, Tretton's responses word for word (except stuff in parenthesis)

Question 1

EGM: PS3's launch has had the most negativity of any launch surrounding it, what happened?

Tretton: The problem we have . . . it's society in general. (then talks about how everyone wants them to fail but the PS3 was the most successful launch Sony ever had )

Question 2

Tretton: Really? If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes I'll give you $1,200. (Then talks about how he can call any retailer and confirm that there are no PS3s on shelves anywhere in NA).

EGM: We just called 18 random locations (Best Buy, EB Games) and half of them had PS3s in stock - some as many as 20 units.

Tretton: We've shipped more than 1 million units to North America... (goes on to imply that retailers are probably lying on the phone about their inventory and backtracks and says that if only 9 out of 18 have PS3s then the glass is half full )

Question 3

Tretton: The mistake we made with UMD as a movie format was assuming the movie studios understood our consumers and their tastes . . . that they knew what they were doing.

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.gamerfan11
Jack Tretton is a Sony ***hat and was just as arrogant in the lastest GameInformer in fact he slipped and it let it be known that Sony doesn't pay for exclusives when they asked him why was Sony (or Ken Kutaragi) was so slow at snacthing up games like Assasins Creed and GTA4 as exclusives.
rhaigun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 rhaigun
Member since 2005 • 3019 Posts
I haven't seen the PS3 lose yet, but I do know who's in third. I also saw some at Wal*Mart today.
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts

It's always easier to blame others than to admit your own faults.

ScalIywag

dont act like the media shouldnt have a majority of the blame with all the negative press, all the media did was strees the negative, presented rumours as fact, overexaggurated, and blew off the positive If all you heard about the wii was it's an overpriced machine that is a sad excuse for a next gen console and its a gamecube with new gimmick which will probably get old in a month, and you cant even play, CD's, DVD's, or games online, you can only download overpriced old games..... would you buy it?
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#89 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

He blames soceity? not the fact that they screwed up?

PS4 to come with built in damage control

Lanfeix
hehe I like that. The PS4 will include the new damage control format.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#90 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

Labinoti
You mean lie the computer monitor that died on me just out of warranty? How about the 4 folks I know with 36 inch TV's that died after 9 years (they used to last 20+!!) Maybe we should look at what happened to Everquest after Sony got a hold of it. And now the PS3, an overpriced console with a BluRay player that they are trying to use to make money in the long run by licensing the format to everyone else. Effectively making gamers pay for their push of a proprietary format. Yea, always the best products my rear. Quit being a fanboy, Sony screwed up and the single best thing they could do is admit it.
KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerfan11"]All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.StealthSting

Hmm is this true? Or are you doing this just for teh ownage..... Because that would make you an evil genius. Does anyone have the this months EGM?

[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="StealthSting"][QUOTE="gamerfan11"]All quotes are from this month's EGM that I just got today in an interwith with Jack Tretton, Sony CEA CEO and President.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Ok, that's enough. Everyone should pick up a copy of this month's EGM - this Sony guy comes off as the typical Sony arrogant ass.sainraja
Hmm is this true? Or are you doing this just for teh ownage..... Because that would make you an evil genious. Does ayone have the this months EGM?

of course it's not true. He paraphrase the hold interview and then added he's own comments.

This is the actual interview: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156907 Was this a joke? I feel really stupid. =/

Actually, it says right in the link you gave that the COMPLETE interview may be viewed in this month's edition of EGM. I'm not saying this guy isn't lying, but we cannot disprove him unless someone actually has the copy of EGM. I haven't gotten mine yet, unfortunately :(.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
"Because we're in that leadership position, there are a lot of expectations thrust upon us and some of them are a little unrealistic. If we were a distant third in the platform race, people would have a warm spot in their hearts for the good old days of PlayStation and they'd actually root for us to get back on top. But I don't know if we want to pay the price to get that kind of [love]." -- Jack Tretton, CEO and President, Sony Computer Entertainment America President in Issue 213 of Electronic Gaming Monthly

Can you read for god sake. I mean I don't enjoy fanboys that are just idiots. He doesn't once blame the consumers. I know too that I could paraphrase and make up anything, but why don't you just post the god sake article. Instead of giving your idiotic opinion .

nextgengaming18
Thank you this is what I wanted to read, a non-paraphrased version. Although at times he does come across sounding a little arogant, its no where near the level the TC would have you believe.
holy_yu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 holy_yu
Member since 2004 • 922 Posts
Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?Zhengi
There's a link, you know. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156907
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
[QUOTE="Imallvol7"]its completely true even thought they shouldnt say it to the public. society has decided to hate the ps3, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon. its how people are

Its true? I couldn't care less about the bandwagon of hate PS3 has. Some of my problems with it, is not because of that "truth". Its funny that the same guy that lied about the Killzone fiasco, is the one who is blaming the public. Oh the irony.
sainraja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 sainraja
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts
Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?Zhengi
I was really surprised at that but then I realized, mostly Xbox fans post in this forum.
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?holy_yu

Yeah, there is a link, but it's nothing like what the original poster posted.
Mrkebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Mrkebab
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
rofl!
Zero-G_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Zero-G_basic
Member since 2002 • 1879 Posts
According to this guy it's my fault i don't want a PS3 :lol:. I thought sony learned their lesson with ken but it seems they have another retard speak for them.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?sainraja
I was really surprised at that but then I realized, mostly Xbox fans post in this forum.
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who actually believe the TC. How gullible can one be?holy_yu

Yeah, there is a link, but it's nothing like what the original poster posted.

it's not the whole interview Read the complete Jack Tretton interview and EGM's cover story "BattleStation!" in the March issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly -- on newsstands Feb. 13.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

This is the very reason why I am not supporting Sony this gen. Sony needs to learn a lesson. But every time someone buys a PS3 there telling them it's ok.