Sony about to murder another handheld? What are they doing?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

I loved the vita... It was a glorious disaster of a handheld that was driven into the ground by horrible proprietary media and little dedicated support propped up by a company that tried it's best to kill their own creation as fast as they could. Sony could be described as entirely incompetent with the way they handled the vita and yet, in the end it was an advanced dedicated gaming handheld with an amazing legacy library and cross buy features on the best Playstation indies. One could even argue that it still remains a better bargain with more features than the switch.... One may think, "If there wasn't shopping carts full of incompetence in Sonys gaming divisions responsible for this thing, it may have had a shot!!"

Sadly, as we know vita was crushed before it even hit store shelves...

Well, after reading about the new Sony handheld supposedly in development one may think the assassin's at Sony are up for another kill! What in God's name are these reports about a streaming side car with ps5? Seriously? Talk about short sighted nonsense... This thing may end up even less popular than psvr2! Here me out...

Sony is spending R+D, production costs, shipping, producing a new handheld device that ISN'T dedicated, cannot download games to it and only acts as a streaming device that must be in range with the host console.... You do realize that point of Sonys remote play is to be able to play it remotely on any device right? Do you realize that there are already grips and devices that do this exact feature? Like, every device? Would you like a Sony handheld right now that has all that functionality? Here....

It's already on the market and likely waaaay more inexpensive than what they'll charge you to stream your games. Yikes...

So, who is this going to be for? Were it dedicated like a switch or steam deck it would be incredible. It would give Sony a piece of pie that I still think is up for grabs in the handheld space... If the rumors of a streaming device are true, then Sony is making a handheld to compete with itself and it will lack the core features that make handheld great... Namely portability.... Yikes.

In the end, I'd love for Sony to get a single handheld right, not just for me or anything but because it's painful to see a company make such strange and confusing decisions where there is so much clear opportunity... Alas.... Vita 2 may be on its way, but it's gonna be a stinker to the masses, just like last time. 😭

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

It's a dedicated remote play device. It is what it is.

People need to get past the idea it's a handheld successor though, they'd just be torturing themselves.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Xbox should be making a handheld device.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@lamprey263 said:

It's a dedicated remote play device. It is what it is.

People need to get past the idea it's a handheld successor though, they'd just be torturing themselves.

That's fine, but who is this for? You're gonna drop an extra 300 bucks (speculating) to have a streaming device when you can do it from your phone or a tablet or a laptop? You can't even take it with you anywhere. Huh?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@TheEroica said:

So, who is this going to be for?

The folks that bought the PSVR2.😎

If this device is really a streaming-only device then 🪦. All that PS money wasted.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Sony literally tried to kill the Vita. And they succeeded.

They tried to kill the PS VR, succeeded again, and they're trying to do the same with the PS VR 2.

They'll do the same with this thing, likely.

They are a fuckin weird company that is peripheral racist.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@nod_calypse said:

They tried to kill the PS VR, succeeded again, and they're trying to do the same with the PS VR 2.

If folks are willing to pay who can blame them.🤷🏽‍♀️

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Shame what happened to the Vita, it was a pretty cool piece of hardware. As much as I would like them to bring out another system like the Vita 2 or something having thought about it I don’t know if I want or need another system. I can’t even keep up with the three consoles I currently have.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

Sony made a great handheld called the PSP, and it got pirated the hell out of it. Then Vita was a financial failure. Don’t blame them for being hesitant!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony made a great handheld called the PSP, and it got pirated the hell out of it. Then Vita was a financial failure. Don’t blame them for being hesitant!

Go big or don't waste the money! Why make a product that does what they want every device to do? It's literally crazy! Vita 2 fully featured, badassery or bust!

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 409 Posts

@xhawk27: It would have been interesting to see a handheld XBOX. I think at this point though it would likely play games that are available on their other devices.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

Yeah it's a shame. A dedicated streaming device is a pointless endeavour. There have been a couple already and they disappeared off the face of the earth basically. People don't want a tethered handheld. Just release an app for phones/tablets that can connect to your PS5 and call it a day. Relatively simple tickbox feature ticked off.

As a company it looks like sony just don't want to support 2 separate devices. It takes a lot of money and resources to do it properly and phoning it in, like they did with the Vita, will just lead to an even worse outcome. So i can see why they are reluctant in fairness.

At this stage, at best, they may look into making a mini PS5 lite Handheld in a few years if Nintendo and PC handhelds continue to thrive. Have it around 1/3rd as powerful as a PS5 console and just have it run PS5 games (and any BC games) at 800P ish with lower settings. That could be pretty cool if done well.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Vita was dope.... but PS TV is better. 😊

This is a solution to a problem created by the walled garden ecosystem. We already have a plethora of ways to stream content to a myriad of devices. Sony's problem is they don't support most of them. This is only useful if you are a die hard PS fan with no interest in gaming elsewhere, and you want to stream games around the house.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

I doubt that Microsoft will ever launch a dedicated handheld device since you can already play xbox games on your tablet / phone via Gamepass.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@pmanden said:
@xhawk27 said:

I doubt that Microsoft will ever launch a dedicated handheld device since you can already play xbox games on your tablet / phone via Gamepass.

precisely.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Well guess what, so was the Nintendo DS. Didn't stop Nintendo from making a competent, albeit less successful, competitor.

Sony started out great with the PSP and I loved it more than the DS, but they simply dropped the ball with the Vita out of pure incompetence. I'm fine with them not trying with a third handheld, I doubt I would even consider buying it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

@TheEroica: "That's fine, but who is this for? You're gonna drop an extra 300 bucks (speculating) to have a streaming device when you can do it from your phone or a tablet or a laptop? You can't even take it with you anywhere. Huh?"

I think it's probably more for Sony's benefit just to have it out there even if nobody wants it. Just so nobody is saying that the PlayStation ecosystem has some kind of feature gap. And people could already do this one their smartphones, but I think they feel the need to double down on their messaging with a new product.

Kind of like how nothing really changed much before the PS Plus overhaul where they merged PS Plus and PS Now but it's essentially the same services undergoing a rebranding pivot, just so people think it's a substantial change, and people bought into it to with talk like "Sony's answer to Game Pass" being prevalent.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Would this device be able to play PS1, PS2 and PSP games via PS+ Premium? This would be awesome.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

If this device is really a streaming-only device then 🪦. All that PS money wasted.

nope not me. maybe someone bought the psvr2 because they like vr.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gifford38

@nod_calypse said:

how did sony try to kill the psvr? there is a game coming out on psvr1 this month.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@gifford38: By not supporting that trash system. Sony only make cheap low budget games on VR. They never make a full release.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@gifford38 said:
@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

nope not me. maybe someone bought the psvr2 because they like vr.

Everyone "likes" VR... But 1000 dollar "likes" VR is an lol no....

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

*$100 proprietary memory card not included :D

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gifford38

@TheEroica: it's only 550. Person who gets the psvr2 wanted a ps5 and would have one already. It's made for ps5. No one going to buy a ps5 because they want a psvr2.

It's like saying to get a good vr head set for pc you have to buy that 2000 dollar pc then buy 1200 for the head set that is on par with psvr2. Look it up. Eye tracking vr head set runs for 1200.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gifford38

@mesome713: horizon is 8 hrs long. Most vr games are not that long. That just the beginning launch title. Astrobot was a great game. Remember sony has ps5 games to make as well. They can't make all vr games.

Dreams was full vr, few other ones to. How much did nin support there vr?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gifford38

Thing is what do people want? A handheld that plays all games from third party and ps5? Or a handheld that only played handheld games?

Streaming yuk but how else would it play ps5 games? They can't get ps5 power in a handheld.

Support all the games or ps vita 2 games only

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

@TheEroica: it's only 550. Person who gets the psvr2 wanted a ps5 and would have one already. It's made for ps5. No one going to buy a ps5 because they want a psvr2.

It's like saying to get a good vr head set for pc you have to buy that 2000 dollar pc then buy 1200 for the head set that is on par with psvr2. Look it up. Eye tracking vr head set runs for 1200.

The difference is that PC gaming has the absolute largest library of games and can be used for more than gaming.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

If it only streams from PS5 and has zero unique library, it's almost more of an accessory rather than it's own handheld.

Seems dumb. Streaming games from PS5 could be a feature for a handheld (just as it was for streaming and crossplay PS4 games to Vita). But if that's all it can do, it's pretty much DOA.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@TheEroica: "So, who is this going to be for?"

Probably hardcore fanboys.