Sonic Mania - Special stages, Bonuses, Time Attack (plus more music)

• 78 results
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I must have died and gone to heaven, because there's no way this can be real. Special stages programmed as if they were running on genuine Saturn hardware (confirmed at SDCC by Taxman himself), the return of Blue Spheres, a dope time attack mode with a Daytona USA like congratulatory voice, and oh yeah, a soundtrack that seems to be going for G.O.A.T status in a series which is heavily praised for its music? It's like a dream come true.

Only 12 days away until the Mania begins!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

That looks dope.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Looks better than Mario Adventure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It looks good. :)

I'll pick this one up.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This is my most anticipated game right now since Red Dead got pushed back.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

CANNOT wait. This is my most anticipated game of the year. Been playing Sonic Generations in anticipation for it. Really pumped. I plan on copping the PC version.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

A sonic game finally has a shot at GOTY.

I'm ok with this.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Cool cool, my copy is paid for, I'm skipping on the Mega Man collection 2 though, I barely touched the first collection and the Mega Man titles just dont hold up very well for me, but that's just me....I played them too much when I was young I think.

I hope they do a GreenHill theme remaster in this Sonic compilation, that's my favorite theme from the series

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@sayyy-gaa said:

CANNOT wait. This is my most anticipated game of the year. Been playing Sonic Generations in anticipation for it. Really pumped. I plan on copping the PC version.

Same. I've been eagerly anticipating it since the game was announced. I plan on starting a classic Sonic marathon in a few days where I'll be going through Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD (SEGA CD w/ the US soundtrack), Sonic 3 & Knuckles (first as as Sonic & Tails then as Knuckles), Knuckles' Chaotix, and then finally Sonic CD (PC version w/ the JP soundtrack). I want to be able to pick up on every little reference and easter egg. For example, even in the new special stage, I noticed that the humming birds and fish were references to the Sonic 1 special stage.

@Alucard_Prime said:

Cool cool, my copy is paid for, I'm skipping on the Mega Man collection 2 though, I barely touched the first game and the Mega Man titles just dont hold up very well for me, but that's just me....I played them too much when I was young I think.

I hope they do a GreenHill theme remaster in this Sonic compilation, that's my favorite theme from the series

Here's Green Hill Act 2 if you haven't seen it yet.

Loading Video...

But yeah, Mania isn't a compilation; it's basically "the real" Sonic 4 in every sense.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Cool that sounds good, looking forward to hearing it in game. Good to know its nearly a Sonic 4, as I already own most other Sonic games . I barely did any research on this, to be quite honest I just like the Sonic games and when I noticed people talking about it and when I saw it in the store, I just read the description quickly and figured I need to get this, preordered it. Also, the fast-paced nature of Sonic is something that is missing from my current library of platformers, so that will be a nice change.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Honestly didn't like the special stages from the Genesis games. It was frustrating to have to do them after carefully trying to collect alot of rings. In Sonic 2 it wasn't as big of a deal atleast since IIRC you didn't really need the chaos emeralds to get a good ending.

The special stages in Sonic Mania look like the controls could become a pain in the ass, but maybe I'll be wrong on that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56096 Posts

Cannot wait to get my hands on Sonic Mania! I wasn't sure what system to buy it and now, I have decided to just get it on PS4 to build up my Trophy collection.

Now then, Sonic Forces on the other hand,,,,

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Alucard_Prime: This video does a good job of summing up what Sonic Mania is:

Loading Video...

So yeah, if you loved the originals and want that next (SEGA Saturn) step, then you'll be very happy with Mania.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56096 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Are you planing to pick up Sonic Forces at launch?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@davillain-: Yeah, I will. I'm nowhere near as excited for it, but I imagine it'll be ok at least. From the footage that I've seen, it looks way more fun than Lost World was, so that's a plus.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@DJ-Lafleur said:

Honestly didn't like the special stages from the Genesis games. It was frustrating to have to do them after carefully trying to collect alot of rings. In Sonic 2 it wasn't as big of a deal atleast since IIRC you didn't really need the chaos emeralds to get a good ending.

The special stages in Sonic Mania look like the controls could become a pain in the ass, but maybe I'll be wrong on that.

This one is like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so all you have to do is find a giant ring, and if it's the same as the Sonic 1, 2, and CD remakes that Taxman made, you'll probably be able to quick save whenever you want.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

looks fun.....

what is it 20$?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renegade_Fury

@KBFloYd said:

looks fun.....

what is it 20$?

Yeah, $20, and $18 on steam if you pre-order.

There's a collector's edition too, but I'm not sure how much it goes for. The one I pre-ordered off of Amazon is down to $40 with all the discounts, but I think it originally went for $20 or so more than that.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Cant wait for this it looks brilliant. I wish they went with the invincibility power up music from Sonic 1 + 2 instead though.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Definitely looking forward to this. Haven't quite decided if I want it on PS4 or Switch yet. PS4 I get trophies and a theme/avatars by preordering and with Switch it's also portable, hmmmmm........

And those special stages look neat, I was expecting to go with the half-pipe again.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

Definitely looking forward to this. Haven't quite decided if I want it on PS4 or Switch yet. PS4 I get trophies and a theme/avatars by preordering and with Switch it's also portable, hmmmmm........

And those special stages look neat, I was expecting to go with the half-pipe again.

The Switch doesn't have a real d-pad when you use it as a portable right? That would be a deal breaker for me, because I need one for 2D games.

If it was anyone else but these guys making the game, then you better believe we would have gotten the half-pipe for the billionth time, lol.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@DJ-Lafleur said:

This one is like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so all you have to do is find a giant ring, and if it's the same as the Sonic 1, 2, and CD remakes that Taxman made, you'll probably be able to quick save whenever you want.

Well that sounds alot better.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@DJ-Lafleur said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@DJ-Lafleur said:

Well that sounds alot better.

Yeah, and even if it doesn't let you quick save, you could always just use the level select after you beat the game and get all the remaining emeralds from any giant ring that you remembered. I used to replay Angel Island and hoard them that way in Sonic 3 when I was younger.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

The Switch doesn't have a real d-pad when you use it as a portable right? That would be a deal breaker for me, because I need one for 2D games.

If it was anyone else but these guys making the game, then you better believe we would have gotten the half-pipe for the billionth time, lol.

True, I didn't think of that. I think what it has is good enough for Sonic but the placement also kinda sucks. On the other hand I like the pro controller's dpad more than the DS4.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

True, I didn't think of that. I think what it has is good enough for Sonic but the placement also kinda sucks. On the other hand I like the pro controller's dpad more than the DS4.

I'd just get it on the Switch then if you plan on using the pro controller. Even though the Switch is technically getting a port of Mania, there shouldn't be any technical limitations since it's just a platformer in the end.

I'm getting it for the PC so I can use my Genesis and Saturn controller adapters, but I'll double dip if Mania ever gets a physical release.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

This game should be great.

Loading Video...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm definitely picking this up. Just waiting to see what the differences are between PS4 and Switch. I'm leaning towards Switch as I need a new game for it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I love how they are going all out with this.

This game will destroy every previous Sonic game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Seabas989 said:

I'm already penciling it in as my second favorite Sonic game. It'll take a lot to beat 3 & Knuckles though *cough Ice Cap* *cough* Hyper Sonic *cough* but yeah, they are going all out, and it's why I've been so hyped from the start, because I knew they would. These guys are the most hardcore of hardcore fans of not just Sonic, but SEGA games in general, so they know exactly what to do. It's like the slogan they've been internally using: "By the Mania for the Mania."

PlaceD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PlaceD
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

looks wonderful

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

What's stopping Nintendo from releasing a left joycon with a proper d-pad anyway ?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

What's stopping Nintendo from releasing a left joycon with a proper d-pad anyway ?

The 4 buttons are fine for me as a d-pad... It still feels better than the XB1/PS4 d-pad.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Seabas989 said:

I'm already penciling it in as my second favorite Sonic game. It'll take a lot to beat 3 & Knuckles though *cough Ice Cap* *cough* Hyper Sonic *cough* but yeah, they are going all out, and it's why I've been so hyped from the start, because I knew they would. These guys are the most hardcore of hardcore fans of not just Sonic, but SEGA games in general, so they know exactly what to do. It's like the slogan they've been internally using: "By the Mania for the Mania."

Well I say this because I have high expectations. I love S3&K but that game came out over 20 years ago and there hasn't been a Sonic game that has surpassed it. Now I want to see a Sonic game that improves from S3&K.

I also hope it is more polished then the Genesis games.

As long as there is no barrel of doom... :P

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Renegade_Fury

@Seabas989 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Seabas989 said:

Well I say this because I have high expectations. I love S3&K but that game came out over 20 years ago and there hasn't been a Sonic game that has surpassed it. Now I want to see a Sonic game that improves from S3&K.

I also hope it is more polished then the Genesis games.

As long as there is no barrel of doom... :P

Well if there's a game that's going to surpass it, it'll be Mania (or Mania 2 *crosses fingers*). Mania is definitely going to be more polished though.

I could see them bringing back the barrel just for the laughs. Supposedly, there's even a Dr. Robotnik Mean Bean Machine/Puyo Puyo boss at the end of Chemical Plant, so I wouldn't put it past them, lol.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I already pre ordered the game two months ago wich is something I barely ever do so that tells you how much I want to play Mania.

@Renegade_Fury said:

*cough Ice Cap*

You know,Ice Cap is cool and all but I never quite got why so many people love it so much. I mean the music is good,sure(especially act 2) and the level design is good(again,especially in act 2 with the upper part and the lower,under the cave section),but it was never close to my favourite classic sonic levels. Then again,I really dislike shit like Spring Yard,Casino Night and Carnival Night but most people love those,so I guess my Sonic preferences are the weird ones.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Arach666 said:

I already pre ordered the game two months ago wich is something I barely ever do so that tells you how much I want to play Mania.

@Renegade_Fury said:

*cough Ice Cap*

You know,Ice Cap is cool and all but I never quite got why so many people love it so much. I mean the music is good,sure(especially act 2) and the level design is good(again,especially in act 2 with the upper part and the lower,under the cave section),but it was never close to my favourite classic sonic levels. Then again,I really dislike shit like Spring Yard,Casino Night and Carnival Night but most people love those,so I guess my Sonic preferences are the weird ones.

The music, snowboarding, and the fact that it was the level that came after the barrel, so it had sort of this mystic quality to it. I like snow levels in general, so Ice Cap is naturally my favorite. Hydro City is the stage rumored to represent Sonic 3 in Mania though, which is fine by me, because that's my second favorite zone, and it's my favorite water level in any game period, especially Act 2.

I really like Spring Yard Zone, but I'm not very big on Casino Night and Carnival Night. The latter two I recognize as being iconic, but I don't particularly enjoy playing them compared to most other zones.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Arach666

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

*cough Ice Cap*

The music, snowboarding, and the fact that it was the level that came after the barrel, so it had sort of this mystic quality to it. I like snow levels in general, so Ice Cap is naturally my favorite zone. Hydro City is the stage rumored to represent Sonic 3 in Mania though, which is fine by me, because that's my second favorite zone, and it's my favorite water level in any game period, especially Act 2.

I really like Spring Yard Zone, but I'm not very big on Casino Night and Carnival Night. The latter two I recognize as being iconic, but I don't particularly enjoying playing them compared to most other zones.

Man,I always tought that whole barrel thing in Carnival Night was mostly people exaggerating or some kind of internet meme/myth/urban legend of sorts,but did people really had an issue with that for real? It's kind of unreal to me tbh.
I mean,yeah it´s a mechanic that is used only for that barrel in the whole game but I always felt it was pretty simple to figure out,considering how simple the controls are and all the action buttons doing the same,only leaving the dpad to figure out and if it doesn't work left and right...

I didn't know Hydrocity was being rumored to be in Mania but if that's the Sonic 3 level we get then that's great,it's pretty much a water level done right. Love it,probably my favourite level of Sonic 3.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@KungfuKitten: The dpad on the ps4 is near perfect IMO, can't see how the four buttons on the joy con could be better.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Arach666 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

*cough Ice Cap*

The music, snowboarding, and the fact that it was the level that came after the barrel, so it had sort of this mystic quality to it. I like snow levels in general, so Ice Cap is naturally my favorite zone. Hydro City is the stage rumored to represent Sonic 3 in Mania though, which is fine by me, because that's my second favorite zone, and it's my favorite water level in any game period, especially Act 2.

I really like Spring Yard Zone, but I'm not very big on Casino Night and Carnival Night. The latter two I recognize as being iconic, but I don't particularly enjoying playing them compared to most other zones.

Man,I always tought that whole barrel thing in Carnival Night was mostly people exaggerating or some kind of internet meme/myth/urban legend of sorts,but did people really had an issue with that for real? It's kind of unreal to me tbh.

I mean,yeah it´s a mechanic that is used only for that barrel in the whole game but I always felt it was pretty simple to figure out,considering how simple the controls are and all the action buttons doing the same,only leaving the dpad to figure out and if it doesn't work left and right...

I didn't know Hydrocity was being rumored to be in Mania but if that's the Sonic 3 level we get then that's great,it's pretty much a water level done right. Love it,probably my favourite level of Sonic 3.

No, it's real, lol. I remember dying there at least two or three times because I couldn't figure out what to do before the timer went out, but I used to suck at most games except for Streets of Rage 1-3 when I was a kid. I imagine most people faced a similar experience, because you're right, it should be simple to figure out, but I guess you can't underestimate the stupidity of most players, lol.

Yeah, the momentum for Hydrocity has really picked up in the last two weeks, because we know that one of the brand new zones is going to have an ice gimmick, so by process of elimination, it only makes sense for Hydrocity to return since we don't have a dedicated water level yet. Plus, who wouldn't want to hear a remix of this awesome track?

Loading Video...
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Arach666

@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:

No, it's real, lol. I remember dying there at least two or three times because I couldn't figure out what to do before the timer went out, but I used to suck at most games except for Streets of Rage 1-3 when I was a kid. I imagine most people faced a similar experience, because you're right, it should be simple to figure out, but I guess you can't underestimate the stupidity of most players, lol.

Yeah, the momentum for Hydrocity has really picked up in the last two weeks, because we know that one of the brand new zones are going to have an ice gimmick, so by process of elimination, it only makes sense for Hydrocity to return since we don't have a dedicated water level yet. Plus, who wouldn't want to hear a remix of this awesome track?

Loading Video...

You know,maybe I did have an issue with the barrel back when I first played it but since it was a long time ago that I don't remember it lol. It could get annoying when Tails was with with jumping on it,same for those spring like things in Ice Cap.

Man,that's such a great fucking track,I would love to see what Tee Lopes would do with it.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Renegade_Fury
@Arach666 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Arach666 said:

Yeah, the momentum for Hydrocity has really picked up in the last two weeks, because we know that one of the brand new zones are going to have an ice gimmick, so by process of elimination, it only makes sense for Hydrocity to return since we don't have a dedicated water level yet. Plus, who wouldn't want to hear a remix of this awesome track?

Loading Video...

You know,maybe I did have an issue with the barrel back when I first played it but since it was a long time ago that I don't remember it lol. It could get annoying when Tails was with with jumping on it,same for those spring like things in Ice Cap.

Man,that's such a great fucking track,I would love to see what Tee Lopes would do with it.

Yeah, and don't forget those platforms that levitate when you jump on and off of them in Carnival Night. I love Tails, but sometimes he was a nuisance, especially in the second to last boss fight in 3 & Knuckles. Even today, he can screw me up and end a no death run.

He's made one in the past, but it'll probably sound way different this time around.

Loading Video...

What I'm really hoping for is an unlockable 16-bit soundtrack for Mania, because Tee Lopes is already teasing us with remixes of his own songs. It has to mean something right?! Probably not, lol.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Most sonic games are TRASH, sorry. Is this by the same people as the old ones? Same musical composer?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DocSanchez

@heirren: This is the most obtuse thing I've read on here. It shows a complete lack of understanding of Sonic Mania and why it exists. I mean I could try to be this obtuse on purpose and I'd fail, over and over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@DocSanchez:

Nah I think most would agree the series has been trash for the most part. This is the first one in a long while that fans of the classic sonic seem to be excited about, it's why I ask about the music--one of the series' strong points. It's kind of like sega gave up at some point, sold the rights to some hillbilly and these chumps thought "jeez I don't know bully maybe sonic should play tennis with Mario?"

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DocSanchez

@heirren: Well nobody needs sonic shoehorned into a cheap lazy spin off like mario tennis on that I agree.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Finally a good Sonic game, only took 23 years.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@heirren: I think most could agree that your post are trash.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DocSanchez

@omnichris: they just forgot what made sonic good. Although the kart games were good, for kart games at least.