Sonic Frontiers: Combat Gameplay

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

Sonic Frontiers: Combat Gameplay – IGN First

Sonic Frontiers: Combat Gameplay – IGN First

Sonic battles enemies both big and...really, really, REALLY big.

By Ryan McCaffrey

Posted: 3 Jun 2022 5:00 pm

IGN has more Sonic Frontiers gameplay for you today, this time focusing on combat. In the above video you'll see Sonic battle big bad guys and absolutely gargantuan bosses. And clearly, Frontiers doesn't simply have one-hit-kill enemies that serve as mere speed bumps as you zip through the stage. You'll need to use Sonic's speed and skills in order to outsmart and outmaneuver his foes out in the open zone.

If you missed our world gameplay reveal earlier this week, featuring you first long-form look at Sonic Frontiers' open-zone gameplay, take a look below:

We'll have much more on Sonic Frontiers as our month-long IGN First coverage rolls on, including the world's first hands-on preview, interviews with the game director and Sonic Team boss, and more. Check back on Tuesday for the next drop!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Why is this 2007 game coming out now?

edit: after having watched the gameplay, i don't even know what to say. This looks extremely bland and generic. Its as if they had 10k to make the game or something. Talent wasn't involved with this game, that's for sure.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jag85

The combat looks pretty good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Should have announced with this footage.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

This looks pretty good. LOL at nintendo fanboys being jealous of Sonic.

they always have hate for sonic even during peak 16 bit era when Sonic crush Mario in literally every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This put me to sleep. Probably not a good idea to have lullabies playing in the background of this bland ass combat. And the pop-in and framerate… They probably should not have shown any of this

It’s like someone thought it‘d be a good idea to make a sonic game in the Death Stranding universe. Who asked for this?!?!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Seriously... WTF is this game? It is all over the place. Does it even have a creative director or someone overseeing the project? This is not coming together well at all.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen  Online

Seeing a juicy 5/10 here.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Mario been kicking sonics ass for 20 years. Stop playing ghosts.

This game looks like an unreal engine demo with sonic slapped in it. Looks horrible lol.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Make the badniks more aggressive, but also less tanky. I think that would make good use of Sonic's more high paced gameplay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@sargentd said:

@ghosts4ever: Mario been kicking sonics ass for 20 years. Stop playing ghosts.

This game looks like an unreal engine demo with sonic slapped in it. Looks horrible lol.

during 16 bit era sonic was better.

Mario was generic slow paced platformer. sonic was fast paced non stop fun.

even when I was kid. i hated mario.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

If this is one area then I'm impressed. If the entire game is just one large island though, then that could get extremely repetitive.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jag85

@ghosts4ever: Based.

2D Sonic > 2D Mario

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

This looked better than the previous video, but the same problems still persist. Awful pop-in. Dubious art direction. Open world "no music" is okay but were is the dynamic music when entering combat or when Sonic catches speed. Not impressed at all.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

That looks awful

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Yeah I wish I could say I was impressed or excited about this game.

It just looks like they’re trying to make the Sonic franchise into something it’s not.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

This is from the Sonic Team, what did you guys expect? They're notorious for making really bad games.

Yeah, this doesn't look good. Frustrating even. You want Sonic to be fast and snappy. Not sluggish. And that they went for realism with the visuals is just.. I have no idea what the shit they're doing, as usual.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

This is from the Sonic Team, what did you guys expect? They're notorious for making really bad games.

sonic and knuckes from Genesis era is still better than any of Mario games.

during peak sonic did more than Mario. mario was slow paced platformer where you take mushroom so Mario gen bigger and take flowers so Mario can fire from mouth. i was kid and I was like this is stupid.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

As fast as Sonic is purported to be, why is it every time I see him he's still trying to catch up to Nintendo?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Sonic and Knuckles better than Super Mario World? Super Mario World is considered to be amoung the greatest games of all time. Sonic and Knuckles dont even chart the top 200 of all time.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maroxad
@eoten said:

As fast as Sonic is purported to be, why is it every time I see him he's still trying to catch up to Nintendo?

The funny thing is, Sonic 1 was arguably slower than Super Mario Bros 1. Green Hill Zone wasnt bad, but then when you got to the world 2 and world 4, where the game slowed down to a crawl.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
@Jag85 said:

@ghosts4ever: Based.

2D Sonic > 2D Mario

Yup. Sonic 1 was a proof of concept, but with Sonic 2, 3 and knuckles. The series just left the relatively archaeic mario behind.

And when we got to the 2d reboots. Mania was better than any New Super Mario Bros. New Super Mario Bros only really truly kicked off with Luigi U.

That said... where is Sonic Maker? Would love to see an official game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Rayman destroyed both of them.

Was epic.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

@Jag85: I'll admit, seeing Sonic entering DBZ Goku style with his lighting speed attacks was probably the coolest feature but still, this game needs more tuning up if you know what I mean. Granted, the environment is really dull, it needs to be more colorful IMO and this game has the potential to be good but this clearly needs more work. I hope this delivers when it's out.

But as of now, I'm more interested in picking up Sonic Origins.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

This looks pretty good. LOL at nintendo fanboys being jealous of Sonic.

they always have hate for sonic even during peak 16 bit era when Sonic crush Mario in literally every way.

Jealous for being more successful, selling more games, having much better critical reception, and everything you could think of? Sure lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

This game looks rough. If the game is actually better than what is shown then this is a terrible showing and the team responsible should be fired.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I'd take what @Pedro said, this is bad! I love Sonic to death but this game really needs a hefty delay and work on the gameplay & make the environments more colorful. Sonic needs to be lighting fast and not this ruggish slow to add.

Edit: The more I think about it, I rather deal with Sonic Origins than what I'm seeing here.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@eoten said:

The funny thing is, Sonic 1 was arguably slower than Super Mario Bros 1. Green Hill Zone wasnt bad, but then when you got to the world 2 and world 4, where the game slowed down to a crawl.

The not funny thing is though, Sega used to be pretty big on innovation. They had online features as far back as the Sega Genesis. The Dreamcast was the first console with fully functional networking and online multiplayer. And now they're using Sonic to do what? Make a Breath of the Wild clone? Which in itself looks to rip off a lot of things from Assassin's Creed? They're chasing trends for that easy dollar, and that's just sad.

This just looks like a desperate attempt to stay relevant with a character that hasn't really been cool for 20 years.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Maroxad

(Bid)Oooof

No momentum at all.

Sonic was all about the momentum, it is what turned Sonic from a fairly average platformer to a great one. Sonic didnt run all that fast, but players could use momentum mechanics to pick up a lot of speed and go fast.

It seems they built an open world game and just slapped sonic on. Without much thought or care how Sonic's strengths would suit the gameplay.

Devs like Sega and Nintendo truly shine when they get their core mechanics right first, and then build the rest of the game to compliment them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

(Bid)Oooof

No momentum at all.

Sonic was all about the momentum, it is what turned Sonic from a fairly average platformer to a great one. Sonic didnt run all that fast, but players could use momentum mechanics to pick up a lot of speed and go fast.

It seems they built an open world game and just slapped sonic on. Without much thought or care how Sonic's strengths would suit the gameplay.

Devs like Sega and Nintendo truly shine when they get their core mechanics right first, and then build the rest of the game to compliment them.

In your humble, very humble opinion. Would you say that this is finally looking worse than Elden Ring, or is ER EVEN worse than this?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

(Bid)Oooof

No momentum at all.

In your humble, very humble opinion. Would you say that this is finally looking worse than Elden Ring, or is ER EVEN worse than this?

Why are you comparing this to Elden Ring? A better comparison would probably be Super Mario Odyssey.

Both of which would be platformers.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts
Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jag85

My thoughts on the Sonic Frontier demos so far:

Pros - Combat system looks way better than the trash combat plaguing most open-world AAA games (e.g. GTA, Witcher, Skyrim, AssCreed, etc.), some of the open-world traversal looks fun (e.g. high jumps, dashing, boosting, grindrails, hoops, etc.), and good graphics.

Cons - Lack of momentum physics (which defined classic Sonic), lack of content shown so far (but it's an early demo), slow music (it needs some fast music), and looks a bit too realistic.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jag85

@Juub1990:

I'll probably help ghost out a little here...

Mario fans are jealous of Sonic's box office success. Sonic has had two blockbuster movies, whereas Mario had one flop movie. And the upcoming Mario movie is getting a mixed response so far. Mario is playing catch up with Sonic at the box office.

And back in the 16-bit era, Mario fans were jealous of Sonic back then, as Sonic was the more successful series during that generation. The tables later turned when Mario 64 came along. And the rest is history.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Juub1990

@Jag85: Sonic was never at any point in time more successful than Mario in video games, what are you talking about? Not during the 16-bit era, not during their first foray into 3D. Never.

Lol at anyone being jealous of a movie. These guys are video game icons first and foremost and Mario has been absolutely mopping the floor with Sonic for 30 years. And what are you talking about "mixed response so far"? The film is scheduled for April 2023. No one knows what it looks like except for the fact this annoying dude Chris Pratt and a few others are starring.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maroxad

If you count system bundles Sonic 1 allegedly sold 22 million copies. Sonic also left a much bigger impact on TV, and when you consider merchandise. Sonic's lead over Mario was even greater.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jag85

@Juub1990:

Wrong. Sonic was mopping the floor with Mario on 16-bit consoles. This isn't even up for debate.

Lol. Mario fans on social media are praying for the upcoming Mario movie to surpass Sonic at the box office... Yet all we've got from the Mario movie so far is backlash over the casting.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
@Maroxad said:

If you count system bundles Sonic 1 allegedly sold 22 million copies. Sonic also left a much bigger impact on TV, and when you consider merchandise. Sonic's lead over Mario was even greater.

And Super Mario World sold 26M. Again, beating out Sonic.

@Jag85 said:

@Juub1990:

Wrong. Sonic was mopping the floor with Mario on 16-bit consoles. This isn't even up for debate

Allow me to doubt you because everyone on this site knows you're a biased fanboy and not a reliable source when it comes to Mario vs Sonic. Super Mario World outsold Sonic the Hedgehog and is more widely acclaimed. Here is where they rank on several popular sites (because neither has enough Metacritic review scores. They're too old.)

Super Mario World ranks 97th according to this poll by Japanese fans. Sonic is nowhere to be found.

IGN has Super Mario World at #2 again, Sonic is nowhere to be found.

Ranker has Mario at #23, Sonic at 67

And these are big media sites and or polls. Sonic beating Mario in the 16-bit era is a fabrication on your part because it never happened in the real world. Google any "Best games of all time", 9/10, Super Mario World beats Sonic the Hedgehog.

Lol. Mario fans on social media are praying for the upcoming Mario movie to surpass Sonic at the box office... Yet all we've got from the Mario movie so far is backlash over the casting.

Again, more made-up shit. The movie is like 8 months away. Not that shitty casting has ever stopped a movie from doing well anyway.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

(Bid)Oooof

No momentum at all.

Why are you comparing this to Elden Ring? A better comparison would probably be Super Mario Odyssey.

Both of which would be platformers.

I think it makes perfect sense to compare ER to this. Very similar games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

There is obvious limits to the game. Not only its coming to PS4 and Xbone, its also coming to the low powered switch.

Dont expect too much.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jag85
@Juub1990 said:

Allow me to doubt myself because everyone on this site knows I'm a biased fanboy and not a reliable source when it comes to Mario vs Sonic.

Fixed that for you.

Super Mario World outsold Sonic the Hedgehog

In terms of how many units were bundled with the SNES and Genesis consoles, sure. But I was talking about the series/characters, not individual games.

• On the Mega Drive, Sonic had five original hit platformers: Sonic 1-3, Knuckles, CD. One bundled and four non-bundled.
  • On the SNES, Mario had just one original hit platformer: Mario World. Which was bundled.

Sonic the Hedgehog got four hit Mega Drive sequels in the span of a single generation, whereas Mario World never got a SNES sequel actually starring Mario himself. And nearly all the Mario World sales came from bundled units, whereas virtually all the sales for the four Sonic sequels came from non-bundled units. As a 16-bit platformer series, Sonic wiped the floor with Mario in the sales department.

Sonic's overall character popularity also surpassed Mario in the West by 1992. According to the 1992 Q Score poll which ranked the most popular fictional children's characters in the US, Sonic surpassed both Mario and Mickey Mouse as the most recognized fictional character among American children in 1992.

more widely acclaimed.

I was talking about commercial success, not critical acclaim. But sure, let's entertain your nonsensical claim...

Here is where they rank on several popular sites

Irrelevant. IGN, Kotaku and Ranker never existed back in the 16-bit era. That's retrospective reception, not contemporary reception. If you want an accurate representation of critical reception in the actual 16-bit era, you need to look at what older publications from back in the early '90s were saying, not what sites today are saying. That's what you call historical anachronism, which is a logical fallacy.

Also, it was in the West where Sonic was more popular than Mario, not Japan where the Mega Drive was a flop.

because neither has enough Metacritic review scores

MobyGames has aggregate review scores for older games, including reviews from both retro and modern publications. Here are the MobyRank scores for the Sonic and Mario platformers on the SNES and Mega Drive:

• Super Mario World - 92%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - 91%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 92%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - 91%

Sonic had three Mega Drive platformers scoring above 90, whereas Mario only had a single SNES platformer scoring above 90. Overall, the Sonic series was more critically acclaimed than Mario on 16-bit consoles.

Mario beating Sonic in the 16-bit era is a fabrication on my part because it never happened in the real world.

Fixed that for you. Assuming your username implies your date of birth, you would've been too young to even remember the 16-bit era. Your claim that Mario beat Sonic in the 16-bit era is a fabrication in your head, not an actual lived experience, unless you can back up your claim with reliable sources from that era.

Again, more made-up shit.

Have you been living under a rock? There are countless sites and social media platforms where many are comparing the upcoming Mario movie to the Sonic movies. Many Mario fans are hoping for the upcoming Mario movie to beat Sonic at the box office.

Not that shitty casting has ever stopped a movie from doing well anyway.

Yet a shitty character design almost stopped the Sonic movie from doing well. But no one is saying the Mario movie will flop because of Chris Pratt. The point is that the pre-release reception to the Mario movie so far is mixed (just like the pre-release reception to the first Sonic movie before the character redesign).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

I think it makes perfect sense to compare ER to this. Very similar games.

No they are not. You r meltdowns are way funnier than your saltiness.

In comparison to Super Mario Odyssey, I have been thinking of it a bit. And honestly, I wonder if 3D sonic would have fared much better if they did it more like Super Mario's transition to 3D.

2D sonic was all about momentum, Sonic didnt run much faster than mario, but could attain much higher velocity if the player played well and used the momentum to their advantage. Ironically enough, Mario actually adopted this style of play with the 3D Mario Games. Where Mario's focus moved away from level design to focus more on mario's moveset and constant momentum.

Basically, give Sonic a wide variety of moves that would help him move fast, especially in the horizontally. Then design a bunch of levels to take advantage of this design. His running speed being akin to Amy Rose's, maybe a bit faster. With a moveset which allows him nonetheless to pick up a lot of speed.

I wonder how a sonic game like that would have fared.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990

@Jag85 Fixed that for you.

I haven't beaten a Mario game since Galaxy 2 and have never been a fan of Mario so that "no u" retort is weak.

In terms of how many units were bundled with the SNES and Genesis consoles, sure. But I was talking about the series/characters, not individual games.

• On the Mega Drive, Sonic had five original hit platformers: Sonic 1-3, Knuckles, CD.
  • On the SNES, Mario had just one original hit platformer: Mario World.

Sonic the Hedgehog got four hit Mega Drive sequels in the span of a single generation, whereas Mario World never got a SNES sequel actually starring Mario himself. And most of those Mario sales came from bundled units, whereas more than half of the Sonic sales came from non-bundled units. As a 16-bit platformer series, Sonic wiped the floor with Mario in the sales department.

Again with you being dishonest (like you always are in those debates). There's one main Mario game on the SNES and it puts to shame all other Sonic games. Why would you compare 3 games to a single one? That'd be like saying Dark Souls is more successful than The Witcher 3 because it has 3 games that averaged 10M whereas TW3 has one at 30M+. That's Mario Run vs Sonic Dash all over again with you comparing like 8 years of data vs 3.

And if you wanna do that exercise, Super Mario Land on the GB sold 18M, and Super Mario Land 2 over 11M. They both outsold all Sonic games except the first one and Super Mario World outsold them all. They were all released at the beginning of the 16-bit era too. Nice try but nah, even with your disingenuousness, Sonic still loses. That's not even bringing up Super Mari All-Stars and Mario Kart which sold a combined total of 18M.

Sonic's character popularity also surpassed Mario in the West by 1992. According to the 1992 Q Score poll which ranked the most popular fictional children's characters in the US, Sonic surpassed both Mario and Mickey Mouse as the most recognized fictional character among American children in 1992.

And since the US isn't the only territory in the world, what are you getting at there? You got one poll from one year for one country. We got worldwide sales data where Mario put Sonic to shame.

Irrelevant. IGN, Kotaku and Ranker never existed back in the 16-bit era. That's retrospective reception, not contemporary reception. If you want an accurate representation of critical reception in the actual 16-bit era, you need to look at what older publications from back in the early '90s were saying, not what sites today are saying. That's what you call historical anachronism, which is a logical fallacy.

No, that's call retrospective which is perfectly valid. You can dig up rankings from the early 2000's and Mario World is still ranked higher than Sonic. You can't tell me with a straight face any Sonic game is generally agreed to be better than Super Mario World. Super Mario World has been considered one of the best and most important games ever since it came out. It outranks Sonic in damn near every poll/ranking there is, past or present.

Also, it was in the West where Sonic was more popular than Mario, not Japan where the Mega Drive was a flop.

Yeah and since Japan is part of the world, you wouldn't exclude them, would you?

MobyGames has aggregate review scores for older games, including reviews from both retro and modern publications. Here are the MobyRank scores for the Sonic and Mario platformers on the SNES and Mega Drive:

• Super Mario World - 92%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - 91%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 92%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - 91%

Sonic had three Mega Drive platformers scoring above 90, whereas Mario only had a single SNES platformer scoring above 90. Overall, the Sonic series was more critically acclaimed than Mario on 16-bit consoles.

Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island scored above 90. So did Super Mario Land but again, you're being dishonest.

Fixed that for you. Assuming your username implies your date of birth, you would've been too young to even remember the 16-bit era. Your claim that Mario beat Sonic in the 16-bit era is a fabrication in your head, not an actual lived experience, unless you can back up your claim with reliable sources from that era.

The data is there. You're being full of it. You use only one Mario game but it happened it beat out all the other Sonic games in both sales and critical acclaim. How the **** do you conclude that Sonic was more successful than Mario? Especially if you add the portable games and Yoshi's Island to the mix.

Have you been living under a rock? There are countless sites and social media platforms where many are comparing the upcoming Mario movie to the Sonic movies. Many Mario fans are hoping for the upcoming Mario movie to beat Sonic at the box office.

I don't care about your "many Mario fans" rhetoric. Unless you can prove the fanbase as a whole cares about this, this is some biased nonsense coming from you.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jag85

@Juub1990:

I haven't beaten a Mario game since Galaxy 2

Which means nothing. I haven't beaten a Sonic game since Sonic 4.

Again with you being dishonest (like you always are in those debates).

Says the guy who makes baseless claims without reliable sources to back it up, while resorting to logical fallacies like ad hominem attacks, appeals to emotion, and strawman arguments (by twisting whatever the opposition says). That's what you call dishonest debate.

There's one main Mario game on the SNES and it puts to shame all other Sonic games.

You're ignoring the fact that SMW was bundled with more consoles in more regions.

Why would you compare 3 games to a single one?

The sequels sold actual non-bundled units, not bundled units like SMW.

And if you wanna do that exercise, Super Mario Land on the GB sold 18M, and Super Mario Land 2 over 11M.

You sure love twisting what other people say. Both Ghost and myself were talking about 16-bit games, not 8-bit games.

That's not even bringing up Super Mari All-Stars and Mario Kart which sold a combined total of 18M.

Again, no one is talking about 8-bit games or non-platformer spin-offs. We're talking about 16-bit platformers.

And since the US isn't the only territory in the world, what are you getting at there? You got one poll from one year for one country.

In PAL regions, the Mega Drive destroyed the SNES in Europe. It wasn't even close. And if you want to drag up 8-bit games, Sonic was bundled with millions of Master System consoles across PAL regions during the '90s. If Sonic was more popular in North America, where the SNES and Mega Drive were close, then the logical conclusion is that Sonic was also more popular in regions where the Mega Drive dominated the SNES (like here in the UK). Sonic was clearly more popular than Mario across much of the Western world. The only major market where Mario was more popular is Japan.

It's also funny how often Mario fans love to cite a Q Score poll from 1990 to claim Mario is more popular than Mickey Mouse... yet dismiss a later Q Score poll from 1992 where Sonic beat both Mario and Mickey Mouse.

This isn't rocket science to anyone who actually grew up in the early '90s and witnessed the 16-bit war first-hand (which you clearly didn't). In school playgrounds, Sonic was seen as a "cool" character, while Mario was seen as a "kiddie" character and Mario fans were made fun of (which is a big reason why many Mario fans were jealous of Sonic). Beyond video games, Sonic cartoons and merchandise were everywhere. And Sonic had his own balloon at the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, something which Mario didn't get.

No, that's call retrospective which is perfectly valid. You can dig up rankings from the early 2000's and Mario World is still ranked higher than Sonic.

Invalid. We're talking about reception in the early '90s, not the early 2000s.

You can't tell me with a straight face any Sonic game is generally agreed to be better than Super Mario World.

I already demonstrated that Sonic 2 got the same MobyRank score as Mario World, based on actual reviews from the '90s. So your claim that Mario World was more critically acclaimed is false. You can argue that it's retrospectively more acclaimed after the 16-bit era had ended, but it was not more acclaimed during the actual 16-bit era.

Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island scored above 90.

Irrelevant. It doesn't even star Mario.

Unless you can prove the fanbase as a whole cares about this, this is some biased nonsense coming from you.

Mate, no one said the entire Mario fanbase is jealous of Sonic. Learn to read.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Maroxad: Actually Mario's speed play started the day Mario added the run faster button. WAY before Sonic copied it. Sonic is just a cheap knock off. Sega wanted to have an icon like Mario, so they copied him. Sega will never be nothing other than a company coping innovation. Look who theyre coping with this title.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Juub1990

@Jag85 Which means nothing. I haven't beaten a Sonic game since Sonic 4.

Because they were all shit lmao. If Sonic had some good stuff playing since then beside Sonic Mania, you would have played them. Not that it changes anything because I'm not a Mario fan. You are a Sonic fan and I doubt you'd deny this.

Says the fake news peddler who makes baseless claims without any reliable sources to back up his claims.

Sales numbers are baseless claims?

Because it was bundled with more consoles in more regions? What kind of silly argument is this?

And Sonic wasn't bundled? Because the Wikipedia entry does mention "bundled with the Genesis/Mega Drive". Not that it matters, because Mario shits on Sonic games either way.

The sequels sold actual non-bundled units, not bundled units like SMW.

And they still count as sales. Don't try to shift the goalposts unless you can prove exactly how many units each sold non-bundled.

You sure love twisting what other people say. Both Ghost and myself were talking about 16-bit games, not 8-bit games.

No, we aren't. We're talking about the 16-bit ERA per your post (which was in response to MY claim stating Sonic was never more popular or successful than Mario):

And back in the 16-bit era

And there's a reason Nintendo didn't release more mainline Mario games on the SNES, they had other focuses like Mario Kart, RPG, and the GB titles. You think without them Nintendo would have produced a single Mario game and call it a day with their console selling 50M+ units? Sure lol.

You went a step further and mentioned this gem:

Sonic was the more successful series during that generation

We're talking the entire generation Sonic vs Mario. Not just 1 Mario game vs 3 Sonic games (which is heavily stacked in Sonic's favor with numbers alone). The generation from the start of the Genesis/Mega Drive to the start of the Saturn/N64. The argument was that Sonic was never more successful at any point in time than Mario and this rings true for the 16-bit era, unless you wanna be dishonest and count 1 Mario game while ignoring everything else.

Again, no one is talking about 8-bit games or non-platformer spin-offs. We're talking about 16-bit platformers.

Super Mario All-Star remakes a bunch of classic games using 16-bit. They're not 8-bit games.

In Europe, it was far worse... the Mega Drive completely destroyed the SNES in Europe. It wasn't even close. Sonic was beating Mario even worse in Europe than he was in America. And if you want to drag up 8-bit games, Sonic was bundled with millions of Master System consoles across Europe and Brazil during the '90s. The only market where Mario beat Sonic in the 16-bit generation was Japan.

Which is why the sales figures for Mario games are higher? If we discount bundled units if we discount Japan, and if we ignore actual sales data from every other Mario game where Sonic gets torn to shreds. lol

Invalid. We're talking about reception in the early '90s, not the early 2000s.

It's valid because whether it's the early 90's, 2000's, 2010's, or 20's, Super Mario World has always been considered better than any Sonic game. Why do you think there's the meme "Sonic was never good" lol?

I already demonstrated that Sonic 2 got the same MobyRank score as Mario World, based on actual reviews from the '90s. So your claim that Mario World was more critically acclaimed is false. You can argue that it's retrospectively more acclaimed after the 16-bit era had ended, but it was not more acclaimed during the actual 16-bit era.

You mean using this website?

Here

Where most of the reviews are from the 2000's and according to you aren't even valid?

Irrelevant. It doesn't even star Mario.

It's a Super Mario game. It's literally in the name. Don't move the goalposts, you cheater. We're talking about Mario games. Not, "games that star Mario". Because Mario games still count towards Mario's popularity and success during the 16-bit era which is what the argument is about.

Nice try at shifting the goal post. No one said the entire Mario fanbase is jealous of Sonic.

I didn't say the entire fanbase. I asked for the fanbase as a whole aka in general. Is there a general sentiment of jealousy towards the Sonic movie coming from the Mario fanbase? If so, prove it, and no, a couple of Twitter posts don't prove a thing.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2410 Posts

Award for stiffest current gen animations goes to...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jag85

@Juub1990:

Because they were all shit lmao. If Sonic had some good stuff playing since then beside Sonic Mania, you would have played them.

I've also never completed a Mario game since the '90s. So I guess that must mean all Mario games after the '90s are shit.

Sales numbers are baseless claims?

Your claim that Mario was more popular than Sonic in the 16-bit era is a baseless claim.

And Sonic wasn't bundled?

Only the original Sonic. The sequels were not bundled.

We're talking about the 16-bit ERA per your post

I stated:

"And back in the 16-bit era, Mario fans were jealous of Sonic back then, as Sonic was the more successful series during that generation"

In the context of console history, a "generation" means a specific generation of consoles. In this case, the 16-bit consoles. You're shifting the goal post to go beyond 16-bit consoles, when we were clearly talking about 16-bit consoles.

Not just 1 Mario game vs 3 Sonic games (which is heavily stacked in Sonic's favor with numbers alone).

Exactly. The fact that Sonic got multiple sequels on 16-bit consoles and Mario didn't clearly makes Sonic the more successful 16-bit franchise. This isn't rocket science.

Super Mario All-Star remakes a bunch of classic games using 16-bit.

More like remasters of 8-bit games. And that also came bundled with SNES consoles.

It's valid because whether it's the early 90's, 2000's, 2010's, or 20's, Super Mario World has always been considered better than any Sonic game.

Yet another baseless claim without any relevant sources from the early '90s to back it up. Which is debunked by actual reviews from the early '90s which gave Sonic 2 roughly around the same review scores as Mario World.

Where most of the reviews are from the 2000's and according to you aren't even valid?

The 2000s reviews have generally lower scores than the 1990s reviews. If we restricted it to the 1990s, then the aggregate score would be even higher.

It's a Super Mario game. It's literally in the name.

Oh please. It's a Yoshi game.

Don't move the goalposts, you cheater.

You're the one moving the goal post beyond the core 16-bit platformers, you cheater. But if you want to expand beyond that, then let's go all the way...

As I wrote in my previous post, Sonic beat Mario in the 1992 Q Score poll. Sonic was more popular than Mario in 1992. This is an objective fact, no matter how you spin it. So your claim that Sonic was never more popular than Mario is objectively false.

As I said before, this goes beyond video games, but takes into account all media (including games and cartoons) and merchandise. When taking all media and merchandise into account, Sonic was more popular than Mario in the West.

I asked for the fanbase as a whole aka in general. Is there a general sentiment of jealousy towards the Sonic movie coming from the Mario fanbase? If so, prove it, and no, a couple of Twitter posts don't prove a thing.

Again, no one accused the "whole" Mario fanbase of being jealous. But it's a fact that there are a significant number of Mario fans who envy the success of the Sonic movies and are hoping for the Mario movie to surpass it. And why wouldn't they want their fave to become the highest-grossing video game movie? This is just standard stan behaviour, which applies to many fan communities, not just Mario fans.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11091 Posts

This is just some budget-looking jank ass character action game, but with Sonic. The animations look stiff as hell. Please end this IP!