Some say the human eye can't see -30fps VS 60FPS-

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@blue_hazy_basic: i did...? i didnt realize. sorry about that...i had browser problems. i guess it made the thread repost a few times. i'll delete the others, or u could if you want.

No probs, I locked the other ones ;)

you da man B-Hazy...we all see it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Here is better example of 15fps vs 30fps vs 60fps . Those gifs aren't doing this debate a justice .

(Recommended to watch it in Google Chrome)

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

EDIT : You can clearly see the difference in gifs posted by TC , as well . (you need to watch it in chrome . Firefox makes it look similar)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Here is better example of 15fps vs 30fps vs 60fps . Those gifs aren't doing this debate a justice .

except the ones in this thread show actual gameplay rather than floating blocks

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#54 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@Wasdie said:

Those GIFs are both at lower than 30fps on my PC and I'll bet on most others.You can and always will be able to see the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Denying that there is little or no difference is just staying ignorant at this point.

It's sad that in 2014 there are still people denying there is a difference all because of console fanboyism.

again, neither console was mentioned. you're the one making it fanboy wars, not me. it was just a general question to the community.

i myself said i can see a difference, be it slight. so i'm not sure how this thread is being called lem damage control, or DC at any level by me. just a topic for people to discuss...try relaxing.

The 30 vs 60 fps debate is always console oriented no matter how you slice it because any person who's ever played a PC game knows that 30fps doesn't just look sluggish, it feels sluggish.

It doesn't matter if you didn't mention a console, the only people this entire debate affects are those who own consoles and do not have an option to play games at 60fps.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Cloud_imperium
@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Except I never said , it isn't . What did I miss .?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Some people may not be able to 'see' 60fps but you can damn well 'feel' the difference

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#57 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Meh, there is no difference.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lostrib

@Cloud_imperium said:
@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

English class?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I think frame rate should be prioritised over resolution. I would take 720/60 over 1080/30, for every type of game. Of course I would prefer 1080+/60+ in every game but that isn't the case, even on PC you will get the odd game that struggles on the most powerful of hardware depending on settings.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

English class?

I can see how you changed the subject . Not going to take you seriously from now on .

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

I think frame rate should be prioritised over resolution. I would take 720/60 over 1080/30, for every type of game. Of course I would prefer 1080+/60+ in every game but that isn't the case, even on PC you will get the odd game that struggles on the most powerful of hardware depending on settings.

Not really... I run a 5Ghz Core i7 3770k with overclocked Crossfire 290's with a 2560x1440 monitor.

I have v-sync turned on in every game ( Except for counter strike ) and I'm locked 60fps on everything, even Crysis 3 stays locked at 60fps.

Staying at 60fps or higher is mainly about CPU performance as that's what dictates your minimum fps.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By lostrib

@Cloud_imperium said:

@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@lostrib said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

English class?

I can see how you changed the subject . Not going to take you seriously from now on .

That really hurts my feelings

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By tymeservesfate

@Wasdie said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Wasdie said:

Those GIFs are both at lower than 30fps on my PC and I'll bet on most others.You can and always will be able to see the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Denying that there is little or no difference is just staying ignorant at this point.

It's sad that in 2014 there are still people denying there is a difference all because of console fanboyism.

again, neither console was mentioned. you're the one making it fanboy wars, not me. it was just a general question to the community.

i myself said i can see a difference, be it slight. so i'm not sure how this thread is being called lem damage control, or DC at any level by me. just a topic for people to discuss...try relaxing.

The 30 vs 60 fps debate is always console oriented no matter how you slice it because any person who's ever played a PC game knows that 30fps doesn't just look sluggish, it feels sluggish.

It doesn't matter if you didn't mention a console, the only people this entire debate affects are those who own consoles and do not have an option to play games at 60fps.

you feel i implied it, that's fine. moving on.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I actually prefer 30fps actually. 60 just looks strange and unnatural to me.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

This whole "eye detecting FPS" is bullshit. The human brain can detect motion of up to 140FPS or so however anything above 60 appears as smooth motion, thus the more frames per second a clip has, the smoother the brain will perceive the motion.

Case in point, go watch a fast sport like football. First watch it at 30FPS, then watch it at 60FPS, then watch it on a 200Hz HDTV. You will be able to see the difference in motion.

However, its not that straight cut. games are odd in the fact that they are run at 60FPS or more and still appear normal. This is because its digitially generated content which is that much different from real world examples. For example, go watch a TV show on a PC with a standard TN monitor then watch the same TV show on a new 200Hz HDTV. Notice the odd fluid like motion on the HDTV?

However I can be very wrong and mixed up Hertz and FPS all together.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

There is a difference but it really doesn't matter all that much to me. So long as the frame rate is locked and doesn't drop or speed up randomly.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#67 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I think this issue is actually SW lore, that you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. It's an endearing phenomenon. Brings me back. :)

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

It's really irrelevant if everyone in YOUR game is running at the same FPS.

It only matters on PCs where everyone has all crazy configurations and some people are running on 4-year old $100 hardware vs. some people running on 2-week old $2000 hardware.

On consoles, the playing field is level so nobody cares.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@clyde46 said:

I'm also skeptical of the HZ and FPS being mixed together. Perhaps we should go back to basics when framerates merely indicate how much reserve horsepower a a system has to run a game fluidly.

Anyway, I grew up gaming when PC games rarely reached 24fps. So, 30fps is playable enough to me. Unfortunately, YT drops a lot frames during uploading. So, this video seems jerkier than the original.

Loading Video...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Wasdie said:

you have to view them on the actual linked site, where they are hosted as HTML5, not gifs

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clyde46

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@clyde46 said:

I'm also skeptical of the HZ and FPS being mixed together. Perhaps we should go back to basics when framerates merely indicate how much reserve horsepower a a system has to run a game fluidly.

Anyway, I grew up gaming when PC games rarely reached 24fps. So, 30fps is playable enough to me. Unfortunately, YT drops a lot frames during uploading. So, this video seems jerkier than the original.

Loading Video...

Dropping frames isn't really a Youtube problem, thats a recording and encoding problem. I always try to record at 60FPS whenever possible because if you do a dropped frame or two, its fixable.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Why are your gifs so shit? Seriously, there is like a hundred other comparisons that are better then what you have.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 wis3boi

@JangoWuzHere said:

Why are your gifs so shit? Seriously, there is like a hundred other comparisons that are better then what you have.

try viewing the actual source HTML images next time ;) http://30vs60.com/bf4-running.html

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I see no difference between stable framerates, the only difference I can make out is when framerate either increases or decreases.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yes i can see the difference, it's like chalk and bloody cheese.

i'm a 60 fps gamer.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JangoWuzHere

@wis3boi said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

try viewing the actual source HTML images next time ;) http://30vs60.com/bf4-running.html

Maybe the TC shouldn't post gifs that only serve to mislead.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Not sure why OP bothered posting shit quality gifs.. WebM's do much better or better yet direct source b/c webM's won't run well on a weak PC..

If you can't tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps you may have been born with an eye defect. And they don't make glasses for that :[

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

It is a huge difference. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Also, using GIF's to try and compare FPS is so much fail..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Don't need to look at crappy gifs to know that the difference is huge. People can even notice the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS.

Some people also say that 480p is still a good resolution, at a distance.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#80  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@tymeservesfate:

Wish you hadn't told which was which. I wanted to laugh at those who picked wrong. The difference is so barely noticeable, if at all. I can enjoy playing either.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#81 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

You can even see the difference between 60 and 120 fps.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cainetao11

@StormyJoe said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@StormyJoe: When on my ps3 or even my computer playing on a 60inch plasma tv, I can notice a difference between 720 and 1080p. I must have amazing eyes, since so many people can't seem to see with clarity. 720 on any game on my 60inch is a blurry jagged mess unless I crank the aliasing up or do super sampling. 1080p is far better clearing up the image and making it far more crisp. I can even take it a step higher on my 1440p monitor, and get an even clearer and crisper image. Even on it I can notice a change sitting back a few feet between the three resolutions. There is a difference and noticeable one for both resolution and frame rate. There is no real debate on this just people on forums who don't know too much about anything or have horrible eyes talking out their asses about resolutions and frame rates.

Interestingly enough, the only people who talk about 1080p being such an incredible difference, are cows.

Look, I am a technophile - I have thousands and thousands of dollars tied to my home theater, and I can admit there isn't a big difference. I am not saying there is "no difference", but it's negligible. You people talk as though it is a difference between VHS and Blu Ray. So yes, your eyes defy medical science - perhaps you are an X-Man and don't know it.

Agreed. I am not a technopredator...............guy............thing. But I guess my eyes are bad. I don't see this MASSIVE difference from 1080p to 720p. And some claim its huge from 900p to 1080p. Its just favoritisms that makes people exaggerate.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@cainetao11 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@StormyJoe: When on my ps3 or even my computer playing on a 60inch plasma tv, I can notice a difference between 720 and 1080p. I must have amazing eyes, since so many people can't seem to see with clarity. 720 on any game on my 60inch is a blurry jagged mess unless I crank the aliasing up or do super sampling. 1080p is far better clearing up the image and making it far more crisp. I can even take it a step higher on my 1440p monitor, and get an even clearer and crisper image. Even on it I can notice a change sitting back a few feet between the three resolutions. There is a difference and noticeable one for both resolution and frame rate. There is no real debate on this just people on forums who don't know too much about anything or have horrible eyes talking out their asses about resolutions and frame rates.

Interestingly enough, the only people who talk about 1080p being such an incredible difference, are cows.

Look, I am a technophile - I have thousands and thousands of dollars tied to my home theater, and I can admit there isn't a big difference. I am not saying there is "no difference", but it's negligible. You people talk as though it is a difference between VHS and Blu Ray. So yes, your eyes defy medical science - perhaps you are an X-Man and don't know it.

Agreed. I am not a technopredator...............guy............thing. But I guess my eyes are bad. I don't see this MASSIVE difference from 1080p to 720p. And some claim its huge from 900p to 1080p. Its just favoritisms that makes people exaggerate.

You don't have to be a technowhatever to see that there are a lot more pixels being rendered on screen. Go play a PC game and switch from 720p to 1080p. The difference is large.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 cainetao11

@JangoWuzHere:

Play PC all the time. I guess its relative to what one considers huge. I don't consider the difference huge. The difference from 480-1080p is huge, imo. But to each their own assessment

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By wis3boi

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Play PC all the time. I guess its relative to what one considers huge. I don't consider the difference huge. The difference from 480-1080p is huge, imo. But to each their own assessment

It's double the pixel density...your eyes must be pretty terrible

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 cainetao11

@wis3boi said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Oh well guess so. Still shot 35/40 and 4/4 at 300m, no scope in US army. But If people really see differently than ok.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

This gif is better at showing the difference.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JangoWuzHere

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

How to you consider the difference between 480p and 1080p huge, but not 720p and 1080p? Seriously?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 cainetao11

@JangoWuzHere said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

How to you consider the difference between 480p and 1080p huge, but not 720p and 1080p? Seriously?

Completely serious. The difference of starting field position on my 20 yard line or at the opponents 45. Both are away from the goal line, but which difference is bigger?

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Play any first person game on PC, limit the game to 30FPS and pan the camera... the do the exact same thing in 60FPS then you will realise.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Completely serious. The difference of starting field position on my 20 yard line or at the opponents 45. Both are away from the goal line, but which difference is bigger?

There is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean people are exaggerating or playing favorites.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 cainetao11

@JangoWuzHere said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

There is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean people are exaggerating or playing favorites.

Well if the difference between 480 and 1080 is huge, how can the difference between 720 which is closer to 1080 be huge? That's why I said it comes down to each persons assessment of what is huge.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

I prefer 1 fps because I can bask in the moment for 1 entire second, every scene. Very photographic

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

30 fps wit frame rate hitches is terrible. At least 60fps with hitches is tolerable and barely noticeable. Anyone that says otherwise has been sipping mom's kool aid a bit too much.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Gifs, btw.

You need WebM's for this stuff.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Wasdie said:

Consoles most popular franchise is 60 fps though.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97  Edited By MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

You absolutely can see the difference and saying otherwise is ignorant. Gifs aren't a proper way of judging. Play Battlefield 4 on the PS3 or XB360, then play it on the PS4. I promise youll be able to see and feel the difference.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 tymeservesfate

@cainetao11 said:

@wis3boi said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Oh well guess so. Still shot 35/40 and 4/4 at 300m, no scope in US army. But If people really see differently than ok.

LMAO...that answer should shut anybody up in this thread XD.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

Whoever says that the human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps is full of shit. There is a major and certainly noticeable difference.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By clyde46

@tymeservesfate said:

@cainetao11 said:

@wis3boi said:

@cainetao11 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

LMAO...that answer should shut anybody up in this thread XD.

Umm no, just because you can't see the difference doesn't negate all the studies and reports that say there is a difference.