Solid state drive for gaming? Not worth it.

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#51 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

SSDs are definitely worth it!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ivangrozny: I got a 4TB SSD for $400. Go on IGN, there is an article about 'best external drives for gaming'.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Not worth it for all games just for some. I put the OS and slow loading games like Star Citizen on my SSD and the rest go in my regular HDD.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@ivangrozny: I got a 4TB SSD for $400. Go on IGN, there is an article about 'best external drives for gaming'.

Umm. which one? And from where?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

it is if you can afford it!

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

Nope. Not worth it. If you're life is so bad that you can't wait 15 seconds for an hour of gameplay, you have failed at life.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I just bought a 1 TB SSD... but it wasn't really for the games.

I guess it is sort of worth it for that only because games are freaking huge nowadays and only grow bigger each update/patch. I don't like cleaning my fridge that often. :P

For speed though you should be using your OS and maybe your most played games on it (in my case an M.2 SSD). Other stuff goes to archive (another 512GB SSD and the new 1TB SSD).

I also have AWS S3 as an alternate backup for my object storage stuff. My local machine has a ton of projects and stuff on it so I need all the room I can get, and high durability just in case major failure happens.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@appariti0n said:
@StormyJoe said:

It's actually down to $100 now. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512162320&sr=1-1&keywords=WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@appariti0n said:
@StormyJoe said:

It's actually down to $100 now. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512162320&sr=1-1&keywords=WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN

That's an external hard drive

A 4TB samsung SSD costs ~$1500

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

How do you determine the value of something that you never tried or used to a degree where you would have a reasonably informed opinion on?...

Price alone of course a SSD is not going to win any awards, but after having used a SSD for 5 years as my main boot drive SSD's are very much worth it even for game load times it's very much noticeable.

HDD are so slow that my upgrade to a SSHD actually show's faster load times in games. Personally a SSD for a boot drive is a must have and a 1-2TB or storage drive 7200rpm or SSHD is the ideal gaming setup.

brown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By brown
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Note: Sorry, but english is not my native language.

And, yes, I know, this is a old tread, but...

I bought yesterday a 1 Tb SSD drive - the Crucial MX300 1050. It was my first SSD drive. And I must confesse that I´m a little disapointted. Yes, it's faster than my previdous HDD - a 7200 rpm Samsung HDD - but it's not so fast as somes people want to make to belive. If you are a hard gamer, use your money in the most powerfull graphics card you can buy. That's the most important demanding hardware for the most games out there.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If a player records gameplay, I think an SSD helps a bit. It seems to have helped with my recordings of STALKER: Call of Pripyat.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Since when has gaming been the deciding factor in SSD's for PC builds? The common practice to have them just as the boot drive with Windows, and maybe a couple of select applications that are used on a regular basis. In my case with my 256 GB, I also have the Adobe Suite and my web browser installed on that. Then it's the mass storage mechanical drives for the rest of the general purpose programs and of course personal files.

This is well known because of the cost, the budget breakdown of just getting an SSD of sufficient size for those essentials, and the largest mass storage you can afford, or getting additional HDD's down the road. I'm sure games do get a performance benefit from SSD speeds, and while you can swap games in and out between that and the mass storage drive as needed for what you're currently playing, last I checked it isn't good for the long term life of the SSD.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

I built a small form factor PC and really struggled with SSDs. I really wanted to use a m.2 because I had never used one before, but the performance over a 850 evo in gaming is basically nothing. So I went with a smaller 950 M.2 for the OS and a larger 850 for game storage. It really didn’t save me any money either. SSDs are still in a strange spot price for capacity wise. At least they are better than RAM right now.

Seriously, what's up the RAM prices man. I was going to get 32GB of DDR4 4266 but at almost 700 for the G.Skill I was like no thanks. I ended up getting the 4133 with only 16GB at less than 300. Still very expensive but better than paying 600-700

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

And an SSHD? I mean a hybrid.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Install Rainbow Six Siege with Ultra HD texture pack on an HDD and you'll understand.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@kingtito said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I built a small form factor PC and really struggled with SSDs. I really wanted to use a m.2 because I had never used one before, but the performance over a 850 evo in gaming is basically nothing. So I went with a smaller 950 M.2 for the OS and a larger 850 for game storage. It really didn’t save me any money either. SSDs are still in a strange spot price for capacity wise. At least they are better than RAM right now.

Seriously, what's up the RAM prices man. I was going to get 32GB of DDR4 4266 but at almost 700 for the G.Skill I was like no thanks. I ended up getting the 4133 with only 16GB at less than 300. Still very expensive but better than paying 600-700

they are competing with companies like samsung and apple who use ddr4 for their smartphones.

GamingPCGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GamingPCGod
Member since 2015 • 132 Posts

Most AAA games require 80 GB??????

Since when?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I agree that it's too much work to keep moving games back and forth from your regular drive to your SSD and vice versa. Honestly, I'm using a SSHD for games and it's been perfectly fine for everything.

An SSD dedicated to games would be great, but for me, personally, it's just too expensive at the moment. I only use one 500 gb 850 evo for windows.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@tjandmia said:

Nope. Not worth it. If you're life is so bad that you can't wait 15 seconds for an hour of gameplay, you have failed at life.

I wouldn't say it that way, but I feel you. Big waste of money. Mechanical hard drives are fast enough. I think I have one game on my SSD right now, Max Payne 3, since I play that the most.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

If you can afford it they are great. Definitely use SSD for the OS drive. Some games see a real loading time benefit to running on SSD. Some don't get that much of a benefit for some reason (like GTA5).

-Byshop

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I just bought a 1TB SSD (Samsung Evo 850) on Boxing Day. Easily the best gaming hardware decision you can make. Games load almost instantly. Texture pop-in is a thing of the past. Your computer restarts in 5-10 seconds after updating anything. Windows background processes don't slow you down to a crawl anymore. And so on.

I picked this up for $350 CAD. That's extremely affordable.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By UssjTrunks
@tjandmia said:

Games with frequent loading screens are annoying.

A game like Elder Scrolls Online has loading screens every few minutes as you teleport around different zones. An SSD substantially cuts down on loading times (average load times are around 2 minutes with an HDD, while only 20-30 seconds with an SSD).

You also get a ton of texture pop-in with an HDD.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#74  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I use one. On PC games aren't that big. Much smaller than on PS4. And most good games are indie games. I have about 25 games installed now on a 1 TB and have more than 1/3rd space left. And not just small games. It includes Assassins Creed:O, PUBG, Elite: Dangerous with all DLC, Divinity OS2 and such.

I got a 1TB SSD when they were still cheap a couple years ago. They are still more expensive today.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I disagree, the difference it makes in load and startup times is often night and day.

what i do personally, is put the games I'm currently playing a lot of on my SSDs, and move the games I might only play once in a while to my regular HDD. its not like you need your entire steam library installed at once.

Is that a pain to move them back and forth?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

At first glance I figured somebody bumped an ancient ass necro thread.

SSDs are absolutely worth it these days.

And it got bumped again, haha.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By UssjTrunks
@foxhound_fox said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

At first glance I figured somebody bumped an ancient ass necro thread.

SSDs are absolutely worth it these days.

And it got bumped again, haha.

OP made this thread 1 month ago. It's not like it's from a few years ago. SSDs were just as "worth it" then as they are now.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#78 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

OP made this thread 1 month ago. It's not like it's from a few years ago. SSDs have been "worth it" for a while now.

Bumping a more than week old thread has been against Gamespot rules for as long as I've been here.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

It's not really value for money. Paying more for much less, for faster boot times?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 UssjTrunks

@aki2017: It improves game performance substantially.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@UssjTrunks: Meh, don't fill it warrants the smaller space and higher price tag.

GamingPCGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GamingPCGod

I never understood why any sane individual would pay 3-6x more for something that will only load your games faster; it doesn't even PLAY games at higher frames, you simply load them faster. And even for that, you don't need to waste money on an SSD. I have a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD that boots up my computer in like 15 seconds. I mean you can literally get a 10 TB HDD for only $100 more than you could for a 1 TB SSD. What a complete waste.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By UssjTrunks

@gamingpcgod said:

I never understood why any sane individual would pay 3-6x more for something that will only load your games faster; it doesn't even PLAY games at higher frames, you simply load them faster. And even for that, you don't need to waste money on an SSD. I have a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD that boots up my computer in like 15 seconds. I mean you can literally get a 10 TB HDD for only $100 more than you could for a 1 TB SSD. What a complete waste.

I'll bet you don't boot up in 15 seconds with an HDD. And an SSD helps with texture pop-in too.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@gamingpcgod said:

This must be trolling at this point.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@gamingpcgod said:

BS. 7200 HDD take like around a minute to load windows, and even more depending on the startup programs you have. Even an SSD will take like around 20 seconds, with very little impact from startup programs.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#86 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

I was considering getting a 1TB ssd for 300 bucks, and after careful consideration i realized it's not worth it. Now that most AAA games nowadays require 80GB, how many games i will be able to install on it? 11. When my Steam library of 400 games would require much more than that.

The advantages are very few, the cost / value of ssd drives is abysmal. In order to safely clone my OS to an ssd, it would require 2 TB of ssd. I checked the cost. 800 fucking dollars.

Yes, the tests of ssd performance look yummy. But in reality, i didnt see much improvement over hdd, considering i can wait extra 10-20 seconds of loading times.

But in practice, these performance tests are bullshit as they don't mention that those loading times are only when you load games for the first time. Consequent loading screens are much shorter afterwords.

i have a ssd 240gb dedicated to my games, i have bf1, bf4, pubg and overwatch and a bunch of other games i play than delete, best thing i ever boiught for my pc,

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I dont put ALL my games on my SSD, just the ones I think could take advantage of it.

I really dont need uber performance for Another Brick in the Mall for exmaple

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I don't know why people would't have an SSD these days

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I feel SSD's make a pretty big difference over mechanical drives. The difference may make a difference to some, others just don't care. For me I prefer them. For my Gaming PC I use Samsung Evo's w/ 500GB SSD for Windows OS/programs/apps, 1TB SSD for games. For file storage (pictures, music, misc. files) I use an internal 2TB spinner and then a 6TB external for backups.

For my consoles I have a 2TB mechanical in the PS4 Pro and an additional 500GB SSD external drive one the Xbox one X. Games do load up pretty fast on the SSD on the XOX vs the 1TB internal drive.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I thought the same you did TC.

Then I made the switch. Trust me, saving 10-20 sec every load screen (or more) makes a HUGE difference.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

not yet at least.......

GamingPCGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By GamingPCGod

@glez13: @UssjTrunks: If I'm including start up programs, sure, Windows takes about a minute-2 minutes to fully boot up (though I am able to use Steam and Chrome almost immediately), but to actually get Windows 10 to start up, it doesn't take much time at all - unless you count the time to scan my face to log in, which is probably another 15 seconds.

Point being that outside of load time, which is only a few seconds to begin with, SSD has pretty much no effect on gaming performance at all, and it's definitely not worth the price.

EDIT: Oh I see, I have Windows 10 on "Fast Startup Mode". That's why it boots up so quickly. Which is even more reason why you shouldn't spend money on an SSD.

Still, the point stands that spending $200 more for an extra 15 seconds of game-play is utterly asinine. It simply makes no sense. And often, with games that take a millennia to load, will often boot up quicker the second time you play it. Like in BF, maps I play frequently often times load up much quicker - 15-30 seconds often - than maps I infrequently play, or never play at all.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

@gamingpcgod: Like most things in life, performance comes at a cost. One user may find the costs neglible and worth it while another does not. The fact still remains most all SSD drives will "own" a mechanical drive in the performance arena. I feel it all comes down to what one will pay for space vs performance. Sometimes storage trumps the benefits of an SSD and that's all right. For me..

I go for the blended approach of need and performance. I will say that an SSD will not magically make your gaming performance better. It is only one ingredient that goes hand in hand with other components to improve performance of your experience.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#94 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Worth it for some games that take forever to load.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Test the waters out, buy a SSD or M.2 drive for your OS... and then install your favourite MP game on it, then find out if the load times are worth the price.

Me I went with a SSD for OS and SSHD for gaming.

I would like to add... Get a SSHD, seriously its close to SSD load times for games and at fraction of the cost. My Firecuda cost me £65 and is drastically faster than my Barracuda HDD when it comes to loading in to BF1 and PUBG.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jun_aka_pekto
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Test the waters out, buy a SSD or M.2 drive for your OS... and then install your favourite MP game on it, then find out if the load times are worth the price.

I would like to add... Get a SSHD, seriously its close to SSD load times for games and at fraction of the cost. My Firecuda cost me £65 and is drastically faster than my Barracuda HDD when it comes to loading in to BF1 and PUBG.

Good advice. ;)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Good advice. ;)

Note that with those hybrid drives you dont see the solid state performance gains until you run the same program/files a few times .... its when the most accessed stuff is stored onto the SSD portion of the harddrive is when you see the gains.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: yeah I'm really enjoying the Firecuda I bought recently. My computer is like a new machine now that the OS is on SSD and the games are on SSHD. I'd previously tried leaving my OS on my old HDD and just install games on the SSD and that was a mistake - so much of how the computer works relies on the speed of the primary drive. Things are all much faster now, even with the games on a slower drive than before

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Good advice, my laptop uses an SSHD and it delivers SSD speeds at times.

But aren't SSHD more prone to breaking? I mean they have more parts after all.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jun_aka_pekto
@04dcarraher said:

Note that with those hybrid drives you dont see the solid state performance gains until you run the same program/files a few times .... its when the most accessed stuff is stored onto the SSD portion of the harddrive is when you see the gains.

Kinda like a cache, then? I wonder how that would affect recording game play?

My nephews and I watch each other's gameplay on YT. I wonder if a combination of SSD (OS), SSHD (game storage), and ample RAM (24-32 GB) would eliminate spike lags in games such as STALKER: Call of Pripyat?