So you buy the XBOX ONE and a couple of games for 4-500 and then need permission

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

[QUOTE="strawhatlupi"][QUOTE="COVAtheNOVA"]

My XBOX360, PS3 and PCs are always online when I turn them on so I do not care about the once every 24 hour check up. MS confirmed you will be able to play used games with no extra fees which is a plus. The specs look great and of course the online play will be the best of the 3 consoles once again. Day one purchase by me if they have 2 or 3 exclusives at launch that I like.

COVAtheNOVA

that is until something goes wrong with your internet provider, or MS server. You put to much faith on such infrastructure. your monthly fee can't guarantee 24hr connectivity. several years from now, when MS doesn't support or have a server anymore, or their company tanks, the whole system will become an unplayable brick. Compare that to the 16bit sega consoles that can still play games even if sega ain't a console maker anymore. Well you can still watch TV and Blu rays while offline. a service we already enjoy now. and how come its plus for us if ms decide we can play used games without fees, when i can do those things since NES era.

The longest my ISP has been down at any given time since I have been using the internet is about an hour and I have been using the internet since 1997. Also MS will have over 300k servers, which I believe, is triple what they have now for XBL. The longest XBL has been down for me at any given time has been a day or two which again is no big deal since my life doesn't revolve around playing games.

Also I have a hard time believing the XBOX ONE will be a brick with no internet connection. I believe MS is wording things wrong or their words are not being spoken by the media properly. I think the XBOX ONE will be like your modern day PC, which requires constant patching, updates, etc. for it to perform at its highest level. The XBOX ONE will be the same, as will the be the PS4 and currently the Wii U, but you will be able to use the system for offline gaming, movie watching, etc. No one way would it just brick if there is no connection. No need for MS to clear this up either. That is just common sense.

well base on the wording it requires 24hrs cycle internet server confirmation, essentially if MS decide one day that they will deny this service, xbone will be a brick. cases such as those are not far fetch... remember how they treat their window products? one day they will have a new product, they'll cut their support on xbone so you'll be force to buy the new one. they gave been doing this in their software products for years.
COVAtheNOVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 COVAtheNOVA
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

[QUOTE="COVAtheNOVA"]

[QUOTE="strawhatlupi"] that is until something goes wrong with your internet provider, or MS server. You put to much faith on such infrastructure. your monthly fee can't guarantee 24hr connectivity. several years from now, when MS doesn't support or have a server anymore, or their company tanks, the whole system will become an unplayable brick. Compare that to the 16bit sega consoles that can still play games even if sega ain't a console maker anymore. Well you can still watch TV and Blu rays while offline. a service we already enjoy now. and how come its plus for us if ms decide we can play used games without fees, when i can do those things since NES era.Guy_Brohski

No one way would it just brick if there is no connection. No need for MS to clear this up either. That is just common sense.

Actually MS has released a press statement confirming that your console will brick if there is no connection. It has been cleared up, and no it doesn't make any sense, especially common sense lol.

Seems to be some tomfoolery to the statements made by MS and the media. The gaming part will not work, yet the rest of the device will. Again, seems to me that the media is lying or MS is wording stuff wrong. We will find out next week I'm sure.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
You shouldn't have bought those UPlay and Origin games.
COVAtheNOVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 COVAtheNOVA
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

[QUOTE="COVAtheNOVA"]

[QUOTE="strawhatlupi"] that is until something goes wrong with your internet provider, or MS server. You put to much faith on such infrastructure. your monthly fee can't guarantee 24hr connectivity. several years from now, when MS doesn't support or have a server anymore, or their company tanks, the whole system will become an unplayable brick. Compare that to the 16bit sega consoles that can still play games even if sega ain't a console maker anymore. Well you can still watch TV and Blu rays while offline. a service we already enjoy now. and how come its plus for us if ms decide we can play used games without fees, when i can do those things since NES era.strawhatlupi

The longest my ISP has been down at any given time since I have been using the internet is about an hour and I have been using the internet since 1997. Also MS will have over 300k servers, which I believe, is triple what they have now for XBL. The longest XBL has been down for me at any given time has been a day or two which again is no big deal since my life doesn't revolve around playing games.

Also I have a hard time believing the XBOX ONE will be a brick with no internet connection. I believe MS is wording things wrong or their words are not being spoken by the media properly. I think the XBOX ONE will be like your modern day PC, which requires constant patching, updates, etc. for it to perform at its highest level. The XBOX ONE will be the same, as will the be the PS4 and currently the Wii U, but you will be able to use the system for offline gaming, movie watching, etc. No one way would it just brick if there is no connection. No need for MS to clear this up either. That is just common sense.

well base on the wording it requires 24hrs cycle internet server confirmation, essentially if MS decide one day that they will deny this service, xbone will be a brick. cases such as those are not far fetch... remember how they treat their window products? one day they will have a new product, they'll cut their support on xbone so you'll be force to buy the new one. they gave been doing this in their software products for years.

And by that time, which will probably be 10+ years from now, I'm sure I will be ready. Unlike the 1% of gamers who are still playing their old NES, I move on every generation with the other 99%. :)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

If it effects me significantly, then i'll have an issue. If I barely notice it, I doubt i'll be all that bothered.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
lets just hope xbone takes flight despite the negative publicity, as if the xbone flops they'll have an expensive white elephant to maintain just so to support the few people who buy it and prevent it from becoming a brick in less than 3 years.
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

[QUOTE="strawhatlupi"][QUOTE="COVAtheNOVA"]

COVAtheNOVA

And by that time, which will probably be 10+ years from now, I'm sure I will be ready. Unlike the 1% of gamers who are still playing their old NES, I move on every generation with the other 99%. :)

So you are essentially ok with renting a system for (maybe) about 450 dollars... games for 60 a pop.. and then it all being shut down 10 years later??. I'm sorry.. but I'd rather want my x1 to work 20 years from now when I pull it out to play old games. Like I occasionally enjoy an old Zelda. Or Mortal Kombat. Or Mario World.
Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

[QUOTE="Guy_Brohski"][QUOTE="COVAtheNOVA"]

No one way would it just brick if there is no connection. No need for MS to clear this up either. That is just common sense.

COVAtheNOVA

Actually MS has released a press statement confirming that your console will brick if there is no connection. It has been cleared up, and no it doesn't make any sense, especially common sense lol.

Seems to be some tomfoolery to the statements made by MS and the media. The gaming part will not work, yet the rest of the device will. Again, seems to me that the media is lying or MS is wording stuff wrong. We will find out next week I'm sure.

If MS goes back and allows games to be played offline, then I would still consider buying it. I'm foolishly holding out a tiny sliver of hope.