So the Sea of Thieves launch has been a shambles as 1000,000 people try to log in.

• 66 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Server problems all day.

'Rare has temporarily closed its Sea of Thieves servers to new players while it attempts to address a variety of issues.

Throughout the day, players have reported experiencing numerous problems with the game's servers, ranging from lag and disappearing money and progression, to constant failure-to-connect 'Greybeard' errors (Sea of Thieves eschews numerical error codes in favour of beard-themed labels, so if you're experiencing issues, you might find Eurogamer's Sea of Thieves error code guide handy).

"In order to resolve the issues players are seeing with the servers," Rare explained on Twitter, "we will be temporarily suspending new players joining the game. We'll get everyone back in and playing as quickly as we can!"

Earlier in the day, the developer noted that "We've got A LOT of eager pirates playing #SeaOfThieves right now and due to this some of you may experience issues." It said that its engineers "are working hard to investigate and alleviate them".'

To be fair Rare have addressed the issues with this video

And not gone into hiding.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

to be fair I dont care about launches and the state of the server.

I would not burn a game no matter how much I hate it because of one day

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yea, its been rough. last night finally got a crew together big enough to sail a Galleon and we couldn't get into a server, ended up going back to Vermintide.

have had more success in solo/duo sloops though

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

6/10 incoming, that's a shame

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Looks like the whole joke day one patch thing blew up in their faces. The game needed a real day one patch.

Guess cows were right. Floppity flop flop.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#6 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

6/10 incoming, that's a shame

I called it.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Incoming flop.

The early reviews have started hitting MC and Youtube too and it’s not looking good for lems. Seems the game is suffering from a serious lack of content outside the server issues. This won’t end well lol. I wonder what they were working on for 4 years. Also it turns out that the Kraken doesn’t have a body ?....

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Too many people using the free 14 day gamepass trial. I bet MS is kicking themselves for that. I mean, what thrifty shopper wouldn't go that route instead of paying $60 for a new, untested(well betas I guess) IP? And for those of you that did spend $60, why? Do the gamepass for free, and then buy the game at 20% off from there(If you don't plan on keeping gamepass). I had a thread about this before... That gamepass seems too good to be true... Gotta be some catch somewhere and I guess this may be it.(Server overloads at launches).

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

Too many people using the free 14 day gamepass trial. I bet MS is kicking themselves for that. I mean, what thrifty shopper wouldn't go that route instead of paying $60 for a new, untested(well betas I guess) IP? And for those of you that did spend $60, why? Do the gamepass for free, and then buy the game at 20% off from there(If you don't plan on keeping gamepass). I had a thread about this before... That gamepass seems too good to be true... Gotta be some catch somewhere and I guess this may be it.(Server overloads at launches).

interesting logic given how so many are outraged at the idea of a 'paid beta' which is early access.

seems like here though paid beta would have been the better choice?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt

@quadknight said:

Incoming flop.

Tge early reviews have started hitting MC and Youtube too and it’s not looking good for lems. Seems the game is suffering from a serious lack of content outside the server issues. This won’t end well lol. I wonder what they were working on for 4 years. Also it turns out that the Kraken doesn’t have a body ?....

when has this ever not been the case for a major hyped game?

at least over the past 4 years

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

This seems to happen to every high-demand online game lately. Seems like it must be doing very well to have problems handling traffic. FFXIV was hell on earth to connect to when Stormblood came out.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QuadKnight

@tryit said:
@quadknight said:

Incoming flop.

Tge early reviews have started hitting MC and Youtube too and it’s not looking good for lems. Seems the game is suffering from a serious lack of content outside the server issues. This won’t end well lol. I wonder what they were working on for 4 years. Also it turns out that the Kraken doesn’t have a body ?....

Sony’s hyped 1st party games don’t seem to suffer from this often. Both HZD and UC4 released to rave reviews and GOTY awards. It seems this a problem that is prevalent with MS’ studios this gen.

Edit: I’m talking about lack of content not server issues BTW.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JtoThaMtoThaP

@cainetao11:

I was thinking 8/10 but the seas are rough it seems and that just hurts.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

The unfortunate price of mega popularity, server overloads. Personally I had none yesterday, but it is an unfortunate situation and as long as they fix it quick it should be fine. If it lingers for a while and depending on how many people are affected, then I would say they should have prepared better.

Right now the important thing for me is that the performance is stable, no issues while I'm in game, so its not the online functionality that needs work, just more capacity, which I don't believe should be an issue for too long.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt

@quadknight said:
@tryit said:
@quadknight said:

Incoming flop.

Sony’s hyped 1st party games don’t seem to suffer from this often. Both HZD and UC4 released to rave reviews and GOTY awards. It seems this a problem that is prevalent with MS’ studios this gen.

Edit: I’m talking about lack of content not server issues BTW.

sorry I have no idea what either of those games are and part of the 'paid for hype train' is proffesional reviews so getting GOTY i am not sure is evidence of not a lack of content.

but also to be fair I am speaking in areas I am not very familiar with, I just see that the hyped up games end up being shallow, hand holding circle jerk games

in

my

opinion

:)

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: Not sure what you mean? I'm against paid betas. This is supposed to be a finished game. I'm just saying MS is basically giving you 2 weeks to play the game(and a bunch of others) for free, and then decide if you want to buy it. If you were gonna buy it anyways, it'd still make sense to do the gamepass first for free or even for $10(you'll save $12 if you buy it using the free trial, or $2 paying for a month). Anyways, MS was trying to get people to try out gamepass and succeeded at the expense of servers being overloaded for the launch of their arguably most anticipated exclusive launching this year. Sad stuff.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Looks like the whole joke day one patch thing blew up in their faces. The game needed a real day one patch.

Guess cows were right. Floppity flop flop.

the client itself is stable, they just don't have enough servers to keep up with the demand

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: Not sure what you mean? I'm against paid betas. This is supposed to be a finished game. I'm just saying MS is basically giving you 2 weeks to play the game(and a bunch of others) for free, and then decide if you want to buy it. If you were gonna buy it anyways, it'd still make sense to do the gamepass first for free or even for $10(you'll save $12 if you buy it using the free trial, or $2 paying for a month). Anyways, MS was trying to get people to try out gamepass and succeeded at the expense of servers being overloaded for the launch of their arguably most anticipated exclusive launching this year. Sad stuff.

sorry I thought you said the game was unfinished...my bad

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: You don't know what Horizon Zero Dawn is or Uncharted 4? You game at all? Lol... Too funny man.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: You don't know what Horizon Zero Dawn is or Uncharted 4? You game at all? Lol... Too funny man.

I do not know those games no.

I game about 10-20 hours a week and have been doing that about 24 years or so.

not sure if that qualifies as a gamer or not but there it is.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Meet the Kraken :

https://gamerant.com/sea-of-thieves-kraken-design-disappointing/

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

"We've got A LOT of eager pirates playing #SeaOfThieves right now and due to this some of you may experience issues."

Really? They didn't expect a lot of people to be playing a multiplayer game on day one? Specially as MS are giving the damn thing away for free with Game Pass?

Would it help them if everyone maybe played the game two people at a time?

lol you couldn't make this shit up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@mowgly1 said:

Meet the Kraken :

https://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/7yVyqLSS-rMxCsW7SjZEmhj41ewWcDuc_VAtd4LtYp8-738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

Those island aren't real either.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By QuadKnight

@mowgly1 said:

Meet the Kraken :

https://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/7yVyqLSS-rMxCsW7SjZEmhj41ewWcDuc_VAtd4LtYp8-738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

???

Dang, lems spent 4 years hyping this shit?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

Sounds like Gamepass is doing more harm than good at this point, especially since everyone is jumping on with the free trial.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Honestly this is disappointing. When is the Xbox going to get a killer app?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Any reviews yet?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

10% finished game.

100% unending shame.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuadKnight

@Random_Matt said:

Any reviews yet?

Yup, a few reviews have started rolling in. Check them out here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sea-of-thieves-review-thread.31071/

Lots of mixed reviews but most seem to agree the game suffers suffers from a serious lack of content and progression.

Loading Video...

Makes you wonder what Rare has been working on this past 4 years.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Fanboy sh*t aside, it's sad to see people actually happy that the game is having issues or that some people are underwhelmed by it so far... its kinda sad. And pathetic.

But anyway, this is a long race for this kind of game. It's a game that will evolve over time. Writing it off after 1 day is stupid.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: That's like a part time job lol so yeah, that qualifies you. Those 2 games mentioned are probably the 2 biggest games on PS4. Hard to believe you haven't heard of them even if you don't game on PS4.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

That video is like...

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: come on man this is system wars. Grow a sac and take your lem beatings like you’re supposed to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Lems are gonna get rekt hard over this game. That missing Kraken body is just the start.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I thought only Sony could have server problems, that's what Microsoft keeps trying to tell us.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: That's like a part time job lol so yeah, that qualifies you. Those 2 games mentioned are probably the 2 biggest games on PS4. Hard to believe you haven't heard of them even if you don't game on PS4.

I very much do not like consoles or console games.

The only console I had was back in 1993 for about 6 months.

I also do not like AAA titles, I find the boring, insulting to ones intelligence, restrictive, immersion killers and scams.

To be fair post 2014 I really had no choice but to play AAA titles so some of them I did play but for the most part I was not really satisfied.

that is the short version of my gaming life

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01

@pdogg93: Whatever floats your boat... I was never one that talked up this game. I think it was a wasted opportunity that it is MP only.

Anyway whatever makes you cows happy.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#38 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

@cainetao11:

I got an Email thanking me for a year of alpha feedback and promising me a special sail and other items coming soon. I thought "why wasn't this ready for us longtime alpha players?" I think maybe in Dec MSFT was like, "get me a release date. You support it after with content but we need this released soon."

It has more than what some vocal complainers are saying. It is in a no win situation of sorts. On one hand you have people pissed that gaming holds your hand these days, gives arrows to where to go next etc.

On the other hand there are people that don't get that there are hidden secrets to this game and its up to the players to freely explore the world. It isn't going to be spelled out to you.

A funny bit of emergent gameplay I did today was I puked in a bucket then threw on someone invading my sloop. We both cracked up!

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I thought Microsoft had 300,000+ servers and this would never be a problem with their games?

What a damn joke.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I got hit with the error but was back sailing within 30 minutes. Rare is doing an amazing job of getting people back in without interrupting the game for those already playing.

Only spent a few hours in tech alpha n beta, but loving everything about the game and co-op. Progression system is sweet in that its status based and not being gated off from friends by power levels since they have more time playing. Also nice knowing $60 bucks and free game content to add onto the game, just laughing at the comments stating there isnt anything to do. Just shows how desperate at the lengths people will go to and make false claims to bring a game down.

Just sad times people attacking sea of thieves with false claims and to boot the same people attacking God Of War because no jump ability and camera angle. Just lazy clickbait articles and comments.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP

@cainetao11 said:
@jtothamtothap said:

@cainetao11:

I got an Email thanking me for a year of alpha feedback and promising me a special sail and other items coming soon. I thought "why wasn't this ready for us longtime alpha players?" I think maybe in Dec MSFT was like, "get me a release date. You support it after with content but we need this released soon."

It has more than what some vocal complainers are saying. It is in a no win situation of sorts. On one hand you have people pissed that gaming holds your hand these days, gives arrows to where to go next etc.

On the other hand there are people that don't get that there are hidden secrets to this game and its up to the players to freely explore the world. It isn't going to be spelled out to you.

A funny bit of emergent gameplay I did today was I puked in a bucket then threw on someone invading my sloop. We both cracked up!

Yes gamers are never happy it seems....the server thing will hurt the score ( ie MCC ) but I think the game itself will be a blast with mates, the moment you mentioned at the end is hilarious.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blueinheaven

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Fanboy sh*t aside, it's sad to see people actually happy that the game is having issues or that some people are underwhelmed by it so far... its kinda sad. And pathetic.

But anyway, this is a long race for this kind of game. It's a game that will evolve over time. Writing it off after 1 day is stupid.

I don't think it's going to work that way in this case specially since it seems the vast majority are playing it for free on Game Pass which was a really, really stupid idea on the part of MS.

Come and see the bad launch then disappear is how it will go. If people had to actually buy the game to play it they would stick with it to get their moneys worth. With Game Pass they'll dip into it then slag it off on the internet for it's initial problems. Disastrous idea to put an MP game on Game Pass knowing they ALWAYS have huge problems at launch.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@blueinheaven: That's why gamepass is such a consumer-friendly service... it's letting people try the game.

Yes it's had a rough launch but because of GP, people might go back to it later. But yeah, time will tell.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Going to die in less than a week. Sad.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@BigBadBully: yeah it's fascinating seeing all the different reactions, this game was designed from the start with the idea of it being very accessible, from its mechanics and even to its technical requirements accommodating all kinds of low end PC rigs, as well as its different pricing schemes. It's a very different kind of MMO, it's not meant for the hardcore Destiny or MMORPG type player who is thinking about stats and weapon requirements a lot, there are already tons of games like that, and I am someone who enjoyed Destiny.

This game feels so different to me, I just love sailing and seeing what's out there, being an explorer, encountering other boats online, co-operating with others. Hopefully servers should be fixed soon so more people can play it and see for themselves. For now there seems to be more than enough to keep me busy for a while, I love the core gameplay mechanics and once the dust settles it will be nice to see how this game will evolve over time. Whatever happens to it in the future, for me it is turning out to be one of the most memorable gaming experiences. It's cool that they stuck to their guns and their vision for this game, something new & different from the rest.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@creepywelps said:

Going to die in less than a week. Sad.

But i hope Rare will last long enough.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blueinheaven

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@blueinheaven: That's why gamepass is such a consumer-friendly service... it's letting people try the game.

Yes it's had a rough launch but because of GP, people might go back to it later. But yeah, time will tell.

Game Pass from a consumer point of view is an excellent thing but for devs can spell total disaster specially with an MP game where first impressions count for everything. I was trying to figure out how anyone could possibly make money out of Game Pass but I bought a month of it myself to see what was involved. £1.39 for 30 days in the UK lol, it would be rude not to.

Anyway, I didn't realise they let you play games for free or buy them at a reduced price. So I suppose the idea is people try stuff out that they might never have tried then buy the stuff they like so that's good news for devs who have games on there that are successful. Which brings me back to SoT which is having a nightmare day one release which is going to put people off going anywhere near the thing. Some people might get past this and just come back to it later if they stay on GP like you say, but I would imagine most people won't.

I would never put a multiplayer game on the equivalent of a game rental service on the day of its release, ever. I am actually constantly amazed at how stupid MS are, seriously, you keep thinking they can't possibly get worse then suddenly 'breaking news' lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Expected result, this game was never going to do well.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@sts106mat said:

@ten_pints: sony dont do multiplayer games though

For good reason. Why try to compete against games already on PS4 like Fortnite, CoD, MHW, Rainbow Six, etc? There's not that many big SP games from 3rd parties so Sony fills that void.