Smartphones Make up Half of Japan’s $10.8Bn Games Industry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

by Emma McDonald

According to market-intelligence firm CyberZ, the Japanese games market was worth $10.8 billion in 2013, with smartphones accounting for half of all consumer spending on games.

Smartphones games generated $5.4 billion, a huge jump from the $3 billion, or 30% of the market, generated in 2012. Notably, this growth is coming from native apps which generated $3.2 billion last year, compared to browser games which made $2.3 billion. CyberZ anticipates this growth to continue with the smartphone market reaching $6.5 billion by 2014.

Last month, Japan was the number one country in terms of revenues generated on the iPhone and GooglePlay stores, according to Distimo & Newzoo.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

As I've watched over the years, it seems Japan really loves their handhelds looking at sales over the years. Their appreciation for small handhelds on the island is evident when traveling on the rail transport systems as well.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I can see that being true. Japan does have the worlds most advanced mobile infrastructure in the world, and have for years been far more advanced in mobile phones and the networks that connect them.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

**** Japan and their handheld market, bunch of casuals.

PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

Why is system wars all about discussing the news instead of original topics.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@farrell2k said:

It's going to happen everywhere eventually. Mobile gaming with dominate in 10 years time. The consoles are selling less and less as new gamers are choosing mobile devices.

The PS4 and Xbox One are the highest selling consoles of all time at this point, the PS4 is shattering records. Candy Crush is not going to satisfy people's gaming needs, those are built for non-gamers who dont care about games.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

That's really sad...But it's their lifestyle and their choice. Batman Arkham Knight will sell 5 copies there.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Not surprising. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Batman and Final fantasy 15 struggle to sell more than 1 million copies there. Mobile gaming is taking over at an alarmingly rapid pace. Our smartphones will be as strong as our PS4's in a few years time.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They sound like great candidates for Microsofts AR VR glasses.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

@farrell2k said:

It's going to happen everywhere eventually. Mobile gaming with dominate in 10 years time. The consoles are selling less and less as new gamers are choosing mobile devices.

lol no console gaming isn't going anywhere

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

and thats why console gaming is dying over there.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

and it shows. their games back then were way better than now. consoles dont sell much anymore. when ps2 came out, japan was half the market, now i dont even think its a relevant territory to console makers unless you make handheld, which is nintendo

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61484 Posts

Handhelds have been huge in the country for a while, and phones are really booming. It's not that surprising.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

@farrell2k said:

The PS4 and Xbox One are the highest selling consoles of all time at this point, the PS4 is shattering records. Candy Crush is not going to satisfy people's gaming needs, those are built for non-gamers who dont care about games.

The highest selling console of all time is still the PS2. So the new consoles have both outsold it? Candy Crush's developer earns 800,000 per day from it. Do sony or Microsoft's gaming divisions make that much?

Fastest selling consoles,that´s what he meant.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What kind of casual you must be to play on a cellphone? Do not compute.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jag85
@farrell2k said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

@farrell2k said:

The highest selling console of all time is still the PS2. So the new consoles have both outsold it? Candy Crush's developer earns 800,000 per day from it. Do sony or Microsoft's gaming divisions make that much?

The kind of revenues that cheap mobile apps are making is insane... Last year, Candy Crush Saga made over $1 billion (comparable to COD Ghosts), while Puzzle & Dragons made over $1.5 billion (comparable to GTA 5).

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

LMAO so much for the "master disgrace" sales argument. We all practically know with the decline of PC hardware going over to tablets and MACs that those PC game sales figures were coming from somewhere else and that they were bundling it with smartphones and tablet games now here is proof.

Enjoy your tablet and indie games hermits because it's all you got left LoL LoL LoL ;)

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

lol yes because Angry Birds>>>>>>>>GTAV
rite?

Japan is a small nation with small people with small thoughts and small er thang. Who cares? The next gen consoles are breaking records. Blockbuster games>>>>>your casual phone crap.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Smart phones are ruining the world.

Everyone is a zombie now. I make it a point now to not look at my phone when I go out, in fact I think I'm going to revert to a flip phone that does nothing other than call and text because literally anyone under 40 when they are met with a second of downtime on a train or in between classes is just staring at their phone. Nobody is doing anything meaningful on them either, just mindless browsing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jag85

@Omega-316 said:

lol yes because Angry Birds>>>>>>>>GTAV

rite?

Japan is a small nation with small people with small thoughts and small er thang. Who cares? The next gen consoles are breaking records. Blockbuster games>>>>>your casual phone crap.

The problem is that cheap casual mobile apps like Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, Puzzle & Dragons, etc. are making as much revenue as AAA games for only a tiny fraction of the budget and quality of your average AAA blockbuster. When a cheap mobile app like Puzzle & Dragons (which cost peanuts to develop) makes as much cash as GTA V (the most expensive game of all time), it's no surprise that so many Japanese developers are giving up on AAA gaming to chase after that smartphone gold. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the way it is.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@VendettaRed07 said:

Smart phones are ruining the world.

Everyone is a zombie now. I make it a point now to not look at my phone when I go out, in fact I think I'm going to revert to a flip phone that does nothing other than call and text because literally anyone under 40 when they are met with a second of downtime on a train or in between classes is just staring at their phone. Nobody is doing anything meaningful on them either, just mindless browsing.

Meaningful? What's meaningful anyways? What can you possibly do on a 15 minute metro ride that could be considered meaningful?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im sure there will be at least 1 console manufacturer forever....

whether it be sony/xbox/nintendo or someone else.

the market is too big.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@SolidTy said:

on the island

So then what do we call the land in the country that are actually Islands if the whole thing is now magically one island?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

@SolidTy said:

As I've watched over the years, it seems Japan really loves their handhelds looking at sales over the years. Their appreciation for small handhelds on the island is evident when traveling on the rail transport systems as well.

So then what do we call the land in the country that are actually Islands if the whole thing is now magically one island?

Geography wars.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

People still think of games like Candy Crush when it comes to mobile games?

I see more than those nowadays. I should borrow my wife's Samsung tablet. Dead Space for Android should be free in the Samsung app store....I think.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

**** Japan and their handheld market, bunch of casuals.

No casual marries their DS: http://travel.cnn.com/tokyo/none/love-plus-scourge-takes-another-life-man-marries-video-game-687520

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts
@Shielder7 said:

LMAO so much for the "master disgrace" sales argument. We all practically know with the decline of PC hardware going over to tablets and MACs that those PC game sales figures were coming from somewhere else and that they were bundling it with smartphones and tablet games now here is proof.

Enjoy your tablet and indie games hermits because it's all you got left LoL LoL LoL ;)

What? Did this make sense to anybody? There is literally zero context for this comment...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Heck. Even flight sims are making their way into mobile gaming. Nice.

X-Plane and Aerofly FS. The graphics have been downgraded from the PC counterparts. But, they're still okay.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Disagree.