Skyrim Switch Digital Foundry Analysis

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@mems_1224 said:

sounds like if you want to play the absolute worst version of skyrim on the go then this is the version for you

Didn't know you can play the PS3 version on the go.

BURN!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@mems_1224 said:

sounds like if you want to play the absolute worst version of skyrim on the go then this is the version for you

Damnnnnnn

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@mems_1224 said:

I stand corrected. The Switch version is only the 2nd worst version by a slim margin. Congrats?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Sounds like a faithful portable version.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:

Video with John and Richard

Feature on Eurogamer

There was also a brief glimpse at loading times near the end of the recording.

Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter

But if what we played is indeed fully representative of how the final game shapes up when running in mobile mode, the Switch port of Skyrim should be well worth checking out. We've tried playing the game on an Intel Atom-based tablet with integrated graphics and the experience is nothing like as good as this - if you're looking to play a fully portable Skyrim, you're looking at a larger gaming laptop to offer the visual feature set and performance the Switch version is offering. Ultimately, 15 minutes of hands-on time with a game only goes so far - especially in a vast game like Skyrim - but what we've seen so far holds up really well, and we're looking forward to taking a deeper look at the final release.

Against TX1, it has to be Intel Core Skylake/Kabylake i5/i7 U series IGP.

Are those Tablet processors? I mean in terms of the same price range as the Switch.

Intel's Core U series are usually tablet or 2-in-1 processors and it attracts premium price. AMD's Raven Ridge 2-in-1 tablet APU hasn't been release yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:

Video with John and Richard

Feature on Eurogamer

There was also a brief glimpse at loading times near the end of the recording.

Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter

But if what we played is indeed fully representative of how the final game shapes up when running in mobile mode, the Switch port of Skyrim should be well worth checking out. We've tried playing the game on an Intel Atom-based tablet with integrated graphics and the experience is nothing like as good as this - if you're looking to play a fully portable Skyrim, you're looking at a larger gaming laptop to offer the visual feature set and performance the Switch version is offering. Ultimately, 15 minutes of hands-on time with a game only goes so far - especially in a vast game like Skyrim - but what we've seen so far holds up really well, and we're looking forward to taking a deeper look at the final release.

Are those Tablet processors? I mean in terms of the same price range as the Switch.

Intel's Core U series are usually tablet or 2-in-1 processors and it attracts premium price.

So not comparable to Switch, then

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ronvalencia

@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:

Intel's Core U series are usually tablet or 2-in-1 processors and it attracts premium price.

Both are not comparable with each other except both can play last gen console games in a satisfactory manner. Surface Pro 4 can play some of XBO era games.

When AMD Raven Ridge 2-in-1 APU arrives, it's XBO class gaming on a tablet.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#59 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I never did get around to playing Skyrim. Not only is the Switch version more attractive because I can take it with me, but it also has Link swag in it! Who doesn't want to use their Amiibos in Skyrim?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@JustPlainLucas said:

I never did get around to playing Skyrim. Not only is the Switch version more attractive because I can take it with me, but it also has Link swag in it! Who doesn't want to use their Amiibos in Skyrim?

I'll definitely use my Princess Zelda amiibo to play as her in third person mode

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FireEmblem_Man

@ronvalencia said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:

Intel's Core U series are usually tablet or 2-in-1 processors and it attracts premium price. AMD's Raven Ridge 2-in-1 tablet APU hasn't been release yet.

I'm not talking about laptop/tablet hybrids, I'm talking about tablet only with the same price range and around the same size as the Switch. Yet you bring up Raven Ridge that isn't even out yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:

Both are not comparable with each other except both can play last gen console games in a satisfactory manner. Surface Pro 4 can play some of XBO era games.

Right, but that's the thing, you're not getting better than a Tegra X1 at the Switch's price and form factor.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FireEmblem_Man

@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Raven Ridge isn't out yet, and we no absolutely nothing how it performs other than a spec sheet nor real-time performance. You bringing up Raven Ridge is simply out of topic.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ronvalencia

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Raven Ridge isn't out yet, and we no absolutely nothing how it performs other than a spec sheet nor real-time performance. You bringing up Raven Ridge is simply out of topic.

Raven Ridge's performance can be estimated from AMD's last 2-in-1 Carrizo APU and expected upgrade gains.

We already know Vega's DCC (memory compression) wasn't updated from Polaris DCC. Carrizo APU uses inferior Tonga DCC when compared to Polaris DCC.

Vega IGP has up to 11 CU. ROPS has direct GPU L2 cache access.

Carrizo IGP has up to 8 CU. ROPS has no direct GPU L2 cache access.

I have rented Toshiba's Carrizo APU based 2-in-1 tablet with FX-8800p "Carrizo" APU. The PC ultra book/tablet market wants Intel Core class CPUs.

Loading Video...

I have already have R9-M270 type mobile GCN which is 10 CU and 850 Mhz OC mobile GPU.

I roughly know where Raven Ridge APU's landing range.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I put about 50 hours into Skyrim on the 360 before moving on. Never had an interest in the upgraded version on now gen consoles...

Portable Skyrim though? On the go? In quick spurts of time even where you can do that one mission or task and spread it out over time... That sounds so appealing to me. I'll get this port...

...and hope a fully featured fallout 4 is right around the corner.

Fallout 4 is not a 6 years old past gen game for Switch to be able to play it epicly good as handheld.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ronvalencia

@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@charizard1605 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Right, but that's the thing, you're not getting better than a Tegra X1 at the Switch's price and form factor.

Actually, i5U Skylake/Kabylake IGP is better than Shield TV's TX1 in Ice Storm benchmarks.

The problem is PC tablets with i5U Skylake/Kabylake IGP doesn't match Switch's price which can be important for certain market segments. This is why AMD's Raven Ridge SoC is needed to lower Intel's premium cost on their 2-in-1 tablet SoC lines.

Not factoring Nintendo, there's very little mobile design wins for NVIDIA TX1 when compared to Intel i5U/i7U Skylake/Kabylake SoCs or Qualcomm Vulkan capable SoCs. NVIDIA was desperate for a big design win for their TX1. Competition is good and it's good to see Nintendo/NVIDIA having a go.