Should Sony revive Killzone, revive Resistance or make a new FPS?

• 71 results
jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By jcrame10

Poll Should Sony revive Killzone, revive Resistance or make a new FPS? (78 votes)

Revive Killzone! 21%
Revive Resistance! 33%
They both suck! Make something new 46%

Sony's first party has been severely lacking a FPS title for half a decade now. Do you feel they need to add one to their arsenal? Should they revive an old IP or create an entirely new one? Who should be the developer to make a new FPS for Sony?

• 
RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

Yes to both. They are fantastic in third person adventures and I wouldn't trade that but it would be nice for them to dive back into FPS. I already know that GoW, Unhcarted, Horizon and TLoU will be great but I would appreciate something a little different. Although, I understand why they wouldn't with CoD continuing to dominate yearly. CoD did remove the single player component last iteration though so there is a little more room.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

They aren't going to have Guerrilla make another Killzone after the success of Horizon, not yet anyways, and I am sure Insomniac probably won't want to go back to that after the success they'very had with Spider-Man, they'll probably use that success as bargaining leverage foe something more ambitious. Can't imagine they'll bring a new developer on board for these either.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

Killzone is only good for its campaign, MP always sucked. Resistance was good on both campaign and MP.... bring back R pls

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Are we assuming the same devs will be working on them?

Anyways I prefer Resistance. Replayed RFoM in 2018 and it was still pretty enjoyable. I'd probably rather see Insomniac work on something else but I'd check it out.

Killzone 2 feels almost unplayable to me now, didn't particularly enjoy 3 when i played it and I wasn't able to bring myself to finish Shadowfall. Also I'd rather see Horizon 2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I enjoy the Killzone games myself so wouldn’t mind seeing another one. While I didn’t necessarily hate the Resistance games I never really found them to be all that interesting so that’s not really one I care too much about.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Sure. I enjoyed KZ2 and KZ3. A remake of both would be fine. It'll be hard to replace Malcolm McDowell unless he's willing to do another reprise of his roles.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

They aren't going to have Guerrilla make another Killzone after the success of Horizon, not yet anyways, and I am sure Insomniac probably won't want to go back to that after the success they'very had with Spider-Man, they'll probably use that success as bargaining leverage foe something more ambitious. Can't imagine they'll bring a new developer on board for these either.

@AsadMahdi59 said:

Are we assuming the same devs will be working on them?

Anyways I prefer Resistance. Replayed RFoM in 2018 and it was still pretty enjoyable. I'd probably rather see Insomniac work on something else but I'd check it out.

Killzone 2 feels almost unplayable to me now, didn't particularly enjoy 3 when i played it and I wasn't able to bring myself to finish Shadowfall. Also I'd rather see Horizon 2.

As Sony owns both the Resistance and Killzone IPs, you can pretend Sony would have Insomniac/GG do them or an entirely new developer.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I wouldn't say Killzone is needs to be revive but I however enjoy Killzone 2 the most but for Shadowfall, it wasn’t bad by any means, but it was entirely forgettable and was a launch tech demo showing what the PS4 can do in the future. I like the series but at the same time, if Sony really wants to bring it back, let me play as the Helghast cause I'm sick of playing as the enemy ISA. I voted revive Killzone series. All the Resistance games suck but only one I like was Resistance: Retribution on PSP.

By the way, this February will be Killzone 2 10th anniversary. Love and enjoy Killzone 2 the most on PS3 and it gave Halo 3 a run for it's money at it's time and this is coming from a Halo 3 veteran.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jcrame10

@davillain- said:

I wouldn't say Killzone is needs to be revive but I however enjoy Killzone 2 the most but for Shadowfall, it wasn’t bad by any means, but it was entirely forgettable and was a launch tech demo showing what the PS4 can do in the future. I like the series but at the same time, if Sony really wants to bring it back, let me play as the Helghast cause I'm sick of playing as the enemy ISA. I voted revive Killzone series. All the Resistance games suck but only one I like was Resistance: Retribution on PSP.

By the way, this February will be Killzone 2 10th anniversary. Love and enjoy Killzone 2 the most on PS3 and it gave Halo 3 a run for it's money at it's time and this is coming from a Halo 3 veteran.

nice insight!

wonder what the odds of a killzone 1-3 remaster would be

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

They could do either, but they would benefit more from a new IP imo. Both insomniac and guerrilla are working on other projects, and neither IP is central to PlayStation. They were successful but they definitely weren't iconic so a revival/refresh isn't necessary.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@jcrame10 said:

nice insight!

wonder what the odds of a killzone 1-3 remaster would be

The odds are slim to none. Killzone series seemed to have been developed with graphics in mind, and gameplay & controls an afterthought. As much as I like the series, it was mediocre at best, which is why I didn't expect much out of Horizon Zero Dawn at first and I was actually surprised at how good it was compared to the KZ franchise and Horizon became my all time favorite PS4 exclusive of 2017. In all honesty, I would much rather have a Horizon: Zero Dawn 2, which considering it's sales and was nominated for GOTY, I fully expect to happen. The KZ series never sold all that well, and so I believe that it's a dead franchise but if Sony wants to bring it back, give it a decent developer and let Guerrilla Games do Horizon. Resistance was truly forgettable then KZ

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@getyeryayasout said:

I don't care about KZ, but I'd love to see them reinvest in a new Resistance game.

You really like Resistance then KZ? I just find KZ to be more superior then Resistance but then again, I did enjoy the PSP version though.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10

@davillain- said:
@getyeryayasout said:

I don't care about KZ, but I'd love to see them reinvest in a new Resistance game.

You really like Resistance then KZ? I just find KZ to be more superior then Resistance but then again, I did enjoy the PSP version though.

Resistance 3 campaign was fantastic.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@getyeryayasout said:

@davillain-: I find them more interesting. I never cared for the protagonist or antagonist from the KZ games. I thought I liked KZ2, but tried playing a few months back and it just feels bad now.

Anyway, R2 and especially R3 were really good, I'd like to see a nice reboot.

That's a fair point. I will say that R2 was better then the first but not much else.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Killzone 2 and 3 were good last gen even had fun with the multiplayer. I think there's more chance of them returning with that than resistance.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

I don't care for fps. So if either don't come back I wouldn't mind

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm over FPS games. For the most part, I have been sick of them for the last decade. I probably wouldn't buy an FPS, exclusive or not.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Why not both?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

New IP.... Always new ip

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I liked the first Resistance quite a bit. I never played the others although I thought the Kilzone 2 demo was a bore. IMO the Halo comparisons for Resistance were a mistake - I would say I enjoyed it about as much as Halo 2, but it had a waaaay different feel. Not the spectacle and space opera, but instead gritty WW with a twist. I think there should have been room for both instead of making it a System War point at the time

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

New IP. Entries in each series range from decent to good, but neither really lit the world on fire. Add to that both developers have moved on to better things.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

They both suck. They should revive SOCOM or make a new 3rd person tactical one life game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Atmosphere wise Killzone 2 & 3 was amazing. Helgan planet is visually barren, red, and full of things to kill. The snow region in KZ3, all that white but is patrolled by those yellow glowing helgan soldier googles is really stunning. Yeah in other words I am down with more killzone.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@davillain- said:
@getyeryayasout said:

@davillain-: I find them more interesting. I never cared for the protagonist or antagonist from the KZ games. I thought I liked KZ2, but tried playing a few months back and it just feels bad now.

Anyway, R2 and especially R3 were really good, I'd like to see a nice reboot.

That's a fair point. I will say that R2 was better then the first but not much else.

Resistance setting is more interesting in my opinion while Killzone is basically just World War 2 in space.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@GiveMeSomething said:

Killzone is only good for its campaign, MP always sucked. Resistance was good on both campaign and MP.... bring back R pls

Resistance was garbage multiplayer, some people liked the 8 player co-op in Resistance 2 - i messed around with that years later and was surprised to still find people playing. But the MP I thought was terrible, more people were still playing co-op if that tells you anything. MP in 3 might have been OK- technically there was noting wrong with it, but nobody ever cared, that game was dead like within a month.

Killzone 2 probably had the best and longest lasting multiplayer of all of these games, though I thought Killzone 3 was a helluva lot smoother running - lots of people abandoned it and actually went back to Killzone 2 for whatever reason. The fanboys were mad that they "call of dutified" it, which they sorta did. They should have kept the bulkier movements feel of KZ2 but with the technical improvements of the engine.

Both games had potential in the story department. I think KZ ran it's course, and they pretty well killed it with the half-assed launch PS4 game. Guerrilla should move on with Horizon or more new IP's, and nobody else needs to really bother with it. Resistance could maybe be rebooted or something. But it's probably not worth it and I'd rather not have Insomniac go there, much rather a Spider-man sequel or something more expansive including multiple characters.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

If Killzone returns, which I doubt, they should have it play as close to Killzone 2 as possible. That was a fun game.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Both series have run their course, let’s get something new.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

They were never that good. They were exclusive, which gave them unwarranted importance. Like Neogaf where they don't accept Gmail accounts because it's a high tier user-base club only, while the owner himself jumps into showers to try rape woman and half the mods are found to be pedos. It's an illusion. If it these were multiplat, no one would care. Better titles exist.

As the brand exists and is known, reboot it. Give it that quality it lacked. Make Killzone more than a tech demonstration with ok multiplayer.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcrame10

@WitIsWisdom: there was a thread about SOCOM in here and some people don’t feel it would survive in the market today, remastered or remade

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

I only played half of the first Resistance and I thought it was mediocre at best. I agree with the above post that the only reason it got anything other than forgotten 6 months after release was because it was exclusive.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Would rather have Resistance.

At least Resistance had a better story and creative weapons.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Ewww, let a sleepin..erm, I mean terminal dogs die. :P

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

New IP please or Horizon Zero Dawn 2. I'd honestly rather see a new Borderlands tbh tho

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Nope, because GG has admitted in the past that they made HZD because they couldn't compete in the FPS market while specifically mentioning titles like CoD and BF.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

TIMESPLITTERS 4 !!!

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

They don't need an FPS.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@valgaav_219 said:

New IP please or Horizon Zero Dawn 2. I'd honestly rather see a new Borderlands tbh tho

Better a new IP. Sequels tend to reek of rehash. The moment HZD2 comes out, it'll be the same old crap.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

They were both good, Killzone 2 was actually fantastic. I wouldn't mind seeing either series continue.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

New FPS, though I enjoy both series.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

All of the above.

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

Really want them to do First person game. This time fully VR compatable.

Or even remake the old games to be VR compatable. Do something!

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

I would say axe KZ and revive Resistance. Killzone 2 was great, KZ3 was about average, but Resistance was the exclusive shooter Sony should have pursued imo. KZ2 was better than Resistance imo, but Resistance was sort of a sleeper hit. Didn’t hear much about it from gaming sites but it was constantly being talked about amongst gamers. People loved that series. The only way I would endorse KZ would be if Sony could recapture the nonstop action and intensity that they gave us with the KZ2 campaign combined with the online gameplay from KZ3.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

I rather see Resistance come back, but who would make it? It seems a bit reductive to have Insomniac come back to work on it after Spidey.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I don't think they suck, but i would prefer a new IP.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I want a revival of both. Loved those games!

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I think that a sequel to Killzone: Mercenary would be the way to go. By all accounts it was a far more interesting game than Shadow Fall, and the idea of playing both the ISA and Helghast off against each other for personal profit is so cool.

Might sound silly, but I'd like to see an X-Com inspired game set in the Resistance universe. Would be a good way to show how the war against the Chimera is progressing, and how you end up turning the tide through your actions. It would certainly give the feel of the invasion and conflict a grander scale than through an FPS perspective anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
deactivated-5cab66ac558b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
Member since 2018 • 78 Posts

As long as it doesn't delay Horizon Zero dawn 2 or Spider-Man 2, they can do whatever they want.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@mandzilla: you mean kinda like halo wars was too the halo universe?