Shigeru Miyamoto: "I Could Have Made Halo, I Just Chose Not To"

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for VividScientific
VividScientific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VividScientific
Member since 2003 • 1871 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/786/786082p1.html

God get over yourself.  :roll:

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

"I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

Thumbs up to Miyamoto, I think he's great. Obviously he could have created Halo (a lot of devs could have), but I think Bungie would have still done it best, so I'm glad they made it. 

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Learn reading comprehension.

He didn't mean, "I could have made the exact game that Bungie made, but I didn't feel like it."

He meant, "I could have made a game that pandered to the tastes of the general gaming market, but I'd rather try to create something very unique."

Maybe a bit arrogant, but not as much as you think.  

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
he could have. halo isn't really that great or innovative. just another basic fps imo.
gamespot813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamespot813
Member since 2006 • 1068 Posts
Miyamoto is... God disguised as a developer! He is right 99.9%
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
He means he could have went with the norm and created a game like Halo but he likes to think outside the box.
Game13a13y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Game13a13y
Member since 2004 • 2860 Posts

until this very moment, i still don't see what's the big deal about Halo.

yes i played it, i played it online too (with my cousin's Xbox/Xbox360). but i still think its no match with Counterstrike and Battlefield. i think even GeOW is more fun to play.

army-of_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 army-of_one
Member since 2007 • 565 Posts
LMFAO, wow. normally i support nintendo but after this......wow
wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

LMFAO, wow. normally i support nintendo but after this......wowarmy-of_one

yes, support it with your mothers money :|

seriously, dude, his comment wasnt bad at all. but you people are looking for something to critisize. hell, i am not even a sheep. I dont care about the wii. but i dont give a crap, the man is right.

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

He didn't mean, "I could have made the exact game that Bungie made, but I didn't feel like it."

He meant, "I could have made a game that pandered to the tastes of the general gaming market, but I'd rather try to create something very unique."

sonicmj1

What makes Miyamoto think that Bungie simply catered to the public demand? I guess Bungie didn't make a game that was "fun". Nintendo has abused the word "fun". The real meaning of "fun" for Nintendo is "an excuse". As in, they need an excuse to justify selling a small white Gamecube for $250. The excuse is the Wiimote. Now, Sheep can play the $250 white Gamecube and have "an excuse".

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

He's not a copycat so he's arrogent?

If you guys say so.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.wmc540

You realize Halo is casual right? 

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
I think what he means is he can make trash but chooses not to.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

yes i played it, i played it online too (with my cousin's Xbox/Xbox360). but i still think its no match with Counterstrike and Battlefield. i think even GeOW is more fun to play.

Game13a13y

Word.

I loved Halo's simplistic design, but feel that Counter Strike Source or Battlefield 2 are far better products.

Think about what he said. He helped in creating the DS and Wii, which most people never thought they would enjoy, but now a few million are in love with it. 

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.wmc540

He does? All I saw in there concerning that was assumptions.......... Anyway, when he says that he "could make halo" he is talking about the concept of the game and the overall demographic that game is directed to. Not the quality of the game itself.

ganon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ganon546
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

If Halo would have came to the GameCube instead, the Xbox probably would have sold less than 10 million.

El_Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Fanboy
Member since 2002 • 5789 Posts

he could have. halo isn't really that great or innovative. just another basic fps imo.Silenthps

yeah, right that makes sense, thats why it got 9.7 and 9.4, gamespot loved it for its basicness and failure to be great or innovative. 

demoralizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 demoralizer
Member since 2002 • 2023 Posts
Miyamoto can say what ever he wants, he is Miyamoto after all. That would be sweet if could collaborate with Bungie in some way or fashion. Not gonna happen, I know.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

Game13a13y

i agree to an extent

Counterstrike is hands down a better online game than halo

but battlefield and GeOW are not in opinion

also the battlefield and GeOW campaigns arent that amazing other than a few spots

but yes overall i dont see the HUGE fuss over Halo althought i must admit i am excited to play the beta

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

If Halo would have came to the GameCube instead, the Xbox probably would have sold less than 10 million.

ganon546

No Halo= no Xbox 

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
lookin at the pic , I can say somebody was aiming a gun at him . Teh conspiracy ?
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
i think halo would suck if he made it.  halo goes deeper than he thinks
gamespot813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamespot813

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.Blackbond

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.gamespot813

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

it is both.  that is what makes it great 

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Prid3r
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.gamespot813

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

kind of 50/50 . it's a casual game where the hardcore rules .....or something like that XD
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.Prid3r

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

kind of 50/50 . it's a casual game where the hardcore rules .....or something like that XD

it is a game that both casuals and hardcores can play, and where casuals can turn into hardcore if they want...casually 

raidenseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 raidenseven
Member since 2005 • 3223 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

Berserker_2

What makes Miyamoto think that Bungie simply catered to the public demand? I guess Bungie didn't make a game that was "fun". Nintendo has abused the word "fun". The real meaning of "fun" for Nintendo is "an excuse". As in, they need an excuse to justify selling a small white Gamecube for $250. The excuse is the Wiimote. Now, Sheep can play the $250 white Gamecube and have "an excuse".

so true, sheep are the truly blind fanboys.

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Prid3r
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars._en1gma_

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

it is a game that both casuals and hardcores can play, and where casuals can turn into hardcore if they want...casually

a casual cannot beat a hardcore . If a casual beat a hardcore , it's mean the casual is not a casual but a hardcore , more hardcore then the hardcore . 

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Prid3r
[QUOTE="Berserker_2"][QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

raidenseven

If they bring the arcade game like House of the dead or Time crisis to the Wii , I might buy it ^^ 4 Player :o ??? 

360_Degrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 360_Degrees
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts

He couldn't have made Halo.

Like he could of made the online play work this well, the storyline with this amount of depth, and overall a ground-breaking console FPS.

Don't get me wrong, hes an amazing developer, but Halo is not his fortay. His game's storylines aren't told the way Halo is, and Nintendo and online is a joke thus far. 

drsports1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 drsports1980
Member since 2007 • 788 Posts
i think halo would suck if he made it.  halo goes deeper than he thinks_en1gma_
Please give respect to the greatest developer ever. I don't want to tell you this but bungie is an average developer compared to this guy.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars.Prid3r

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

a casual cannot beat a hardcore . If a casual beat a hardcore , it's mean the casual is not a casual but a hardcore , more hardcore then the hardcore .

but wouldnt that make the hardcore not a hardcore and the casual a hardcore because he beat the hardcore in a casual hardcore game?  or is there a semi-hardcore and uber-hardcore, and the casuals are unknown potential hardcores of casuality? 

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Prid3r

Like he could of made the online play work this well, the storyline with this amount of depth, and overall a ground-breaking console FPS.

Don't get me wrong, hes an amazing developer, but Halo is not his fortay. His game's storylines aren't told the way Halo is, and Nintendo and online is a joke thus far.

360_Degrees

Kind of true . If Miyamoto would of made halo , the game would of been for Gamecube . But without online play , halo2 would ove been a AA game at best . 

drsports1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 drsports1980
Member since 2007 • 788 Posts
[QUOTE="360_Degrees"]

Prid3r

Kind of true . If Miyamoto would of made halo , the game would of been for Gamecube . But without online play , halo2 would ove been a AA game at best . 

halo didn't have online.
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Prid3r
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

[QUOTE="wmc540"]Oh great Miyamoto wants more casual games. Mehopes Nintendo doesn't come close to winning this system wars._en1gma_

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

but wouldnt that make the hardcore not a hardcore and the casual a hardcore because he beat the hardcore in a casual hardcore game? or is there a semi-hardcore and uber-hardcore, and the casuals are unknown potential hardcores of casuality?

Nah , the hardcore guy simply played WoW too much , he made a come back a la Rocky Balboa but couldn't beat the Casualy hardcore.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]i think halo would suck if he made it. halo goes deeper than he thinksdrsports1980
Please give respect to the greatest developer ever. I don't want to tell you this but bungie is an average developer compared to this guy.

it would be a completely different game with absolutely no proper background  :|

i respect him a lot, but not for this statement
Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Prid3r
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="360_Degrees"]

drsports1980

halo didn't have online.

that why there is a 2
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="360_Degrees"]

drsports1980

halo didn't have online.

lol what a joke.  dont press the reply button please 

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 organic_machine
anyone could have made halo. they would just have to know how to code and how to make a game.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="drsports1980"][QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="360_Degrees"]

Prid3r

halo didn't have online.

that why there is a 2

and ce still had online.  here lets make a better generalization - MULTIPLAYER and NETWORKING

gamespot813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamespot813
[QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

Hm. You are right. It is the perfect game!

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

360_Degrees

Storyline? You have got to be kidding me. I have nothing agains't halo, but hell my cat could come up with the concept of Halo. I can't say the same thing about the concept or universe of Mario or Zelda, to a lesser extent and still far greater to me then Halo, Metroid.

You can definitely bet your behind, that it would be far more defficult for me from a creative stand point to create something like Mario, Zelda or Metroid then something like Halo. Not to mention that the concept of the Halo franchise was mostly a reap of, of Sci fi novels.

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
[QUOTE="Berserker_2"][QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

raidenseven

I knew that the first response would not come from the Sheep. "Blind" is another accurate word to explain Wii fans. In this thread (first page), someone actually said that graphics are "too advanced". He said that he waited until the very end of the Gamecube's life to play it because the graphics were more than he needed. That is a statement from a blind gamer.

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Prid3r
[QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

a perfect game.....casualy .

Edit * ill end up having a ban XD which wouldn't be a bad thing actually ...being away from system war for awhile would raise my IQ . 

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _en1gma_

anyone could have made halo. they would just have to know how to code and make a game. organic_machine

no

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

360_Degrees

Halo barely tells it's story at all, you have to read some stupid books to get the story.  Noting in halo is revolutionary or in great depth, it's was all done before and in most cases better.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

i think halo would suck if he made it. halo goes deeper than he thinks_en1gma_

What, there's a huge, never-before-made plot in shooting up aliens and saving the world? :roll:

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="_en1gma_"][QUOTE="Prid3r"][QUOTE="gamespot813"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Nah, Halo is hardcore.

a perfect game.....casualy .

with a kick of hardcorealityness 

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 organic_machine

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]anyone could have made halo. they would just have to know how to code and make a game. _en1gma_

no

umm... yes? if you have a funtional brain and hands to code with, you ave the potentiallity to make a game like halo.