Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Haven't played Shinobi PS2 in a very long time. But when I first played Ninja Gaiden Xbox, the first game it reminded me of was Shinobi PS2. There were quite a few similarities. For example, both were hack & slash games, where you played as ninjas, and they had bloody M-rated content, and both featured wall-running mechanics. Shinobi was the first game to do wall-running, at least in 3D (it came a year before Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and two years before Ninja Gaiden Xbox). Ninja Gaiden clearly borrowed the wall-running mechanic from Shinobi.

Similarly, the old 2D Ninja Gaiden games also reminded me of 2D Shinobi (which came before NInja Gaiden). It always felt like Ninja Gaiden was Tecmo's answer to Sega's Shinobi. Until Ninja Gaiden eventually left Shinobi behind in the dust.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#102 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Iv really enjoyed SOR4, just unlocked SOR3 Blaze. Id love to see Golden Axe, Ecco and Shinobi get the SOR treatment.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I'm still waiting for Yakuza 7

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#104 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Take the multi-character, level select Mega-Man stuff from GG 1/2

Greatly expand the Wolf companion from Shadow Dancer but keep it streamlined.

Combine that with Shinobi III, including the gimmicky one off vehicle sections

Add some light, light Metrovania shit, but don't go overboard where it literally turns into one.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Jag85

Along with the Xbox and Microsoft Store versions lacking retro modes and other graphical options, and the Microsoft Store version refusing to boot, it turns out the GOG version also lacks online multiplayer.

For the full SOR4 experience, I would recommend sticking to the Steam, PS4 or Switch versions, and avoiding the Xbox, Microsoft Store and GOG versions.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Along with the Xbox and Microsoft Store versions lacking retro modes and other graphical options, and the Microsoft Store version refusing to boot, it turns out the GOG version also lacks online multiplayer.

For the full SOR4 experience, I would recommend sticking to the Steam, PS4 or Switch versions, and avoiding the Xbox, Microsoft Store and GOG versions.

Well the Xbox version is currently the hardest version on the market as the combo meter is slightly broken, and what I mean by that is it doesn't flash like the other versions, so as soon as you stop hitting your opponent it dies almost instantly. That makes for getting S ranks even harder, the combo meter also can't be kept by hitting scenery objects either.

Having retro modes is not the be all and end all, and I am not missing the full SoR4 "experience" lol.

#hyperbole

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@i_p_daily: Its not hyperbole, its just a fact.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Jag85

@i_p_daily:

The combos are part of what makes the game so fun. If the combo meter is broken, then isn't that a bad thing?

If you play as the classic characters, then the retro options do make a difference. It looks really weird with having pixelated characters while the background and enemies are HD. If the characters are pixelated, then the whole screen should be pixel-art or CRT-filtered.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#109 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

Re: "Sega is back"

Is this game really by Sega? it says:

• Developer: Lizardcube/Guard Crush
  • Publisher: Dotemu

The Sega channel on Twitch also streamed it. Am I missing something?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Jag85 said:

@i_p_daily:

The combos are part of what makes the game so fun. If the combo meter is broken, then isn't that a bad thing?

If you play as the classic characters, then the retro options do make a difference. It looks really weird with having pixelated characters while the background and enemies are HD. If the characters are pixelated, then the whole screen should be pixel-art or CRT-filtered.

What I mean by broken is that the combo ends within a second or two upon doing the last hit, whereas if you watch it on the PS4 its lasts like for 5secs afterwards and you can hit a barrel etc to keep it going. I did manage a 303 hit combo today for 1171 score for an out of this world combo, so you can still do it but it needs fixing to be brought into line with the other versions.

As for the missing extras seen in the other version the devs said that a patch is coming next week to add it, and to fix the combo counter.

I will attempt a S rank run on hard once its fixed.

I like this game a lot, but SoR2 is still the king.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: Its not hyperbole, its just a fact.

So what you're saying is that when a game gets released on PS4 first and then releases on Xbox at a later stage, that the Xbox version is the full experience because when a game gets released on another platform before Xbox, MS demands the dev add something extra like a level, character, costumes, car etc for making Xbox games wait must mean we get the full experience while you cows don't huh.

Just a fact lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By uninspiredcup

Love those Judo dudes where you're only real enemy is patience.

Such a simple idea of "do not press button dumbass" but get that conditioned into doing it, and then when they get thrown in with other enemies spacing and prioritizing becomes a far more prevalent thing.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#113 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I finished it on Easy with Axel and unlocked Axel SOR1. Was awesome and I plan on beating the game with the rest to unlock Blaze SOR1, Adam SOR1, and everyone else.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Jag85
@uninspiredcup said:

Such a simple idea of "do not press button dumbass" but get that conditioned into doing it, and then when they get thrown in with other enemies spacing and prioritizing becomes a far more prevalent thing.

You mean the fat Karate dudes? They don't do Judo throws, but only Karate strikes. If anything, Judo throws are their weakness. You just grab them and Judo throw them. Although it's tricky to grab them when there are other enemies around. It's easier with Cherry, who can just do her running dash attack, which often goes right through their Karate punches.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

You mean the fat Karate dudes? They don't do Judo throws, but only Karate strikes. If anything, Judo throws are their weakness. You just grab them and Judo throw them.

Nope. When they raise their arms to block, once it drops their is a gap to go into combos.

You can throw them but it's takes much longer and does less damage, and generally when their are multiple enemies trying to walk right up to them is riskier. That and they break out of full suplex.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

You mean the fat Karate dudes? They don't do Judo throws, but only Karate strikes. If anything, Judo throws are their weakness. You just grab them and Judo throw them.

Nope. When they raise their arms to block, once it drops their is a gap to go into combos.

You can throw them but it's takes much longer and does less damage, and generally when their are multiple enemies trying to walk right up to them is riskier. That and they break out of full suplex.

The guys in the white/red karate clothes are easy, as they're mostly by themselves except for the end of the sauna bit where the Muay Thai boxer comes in, but easily done with throws, or in 2 player they are even easier with a person on both sides.

Im interested to hear what character you think is best?

I've unlocked all the characters and find Shiva to be the best & SoR4 Adam to be the second best.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 uninspiredcup

@i_p_daily: I've only used Blaze. Probably be doing Cherry next and probably all the others.

Not sure bother with the retro-pixel characters. Honestly, it just looks weird to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@uninspiredcup said:

@i_p_daily: I've only used Blaze. Probably be doing Cherry next and probably all the others.

Not sure bother with the retro-pixel characters. Honestly, it just looks weird to me.

Well they've overpowered the SoR1 characters to compensate for their lack of moves, SoR2 characters felt a little underpowered to me, and the only the only character I've played from SoR3 is Shiva and he is extremely quick and very powerful.

The retro pixel characters don't bother me as i'm more watching the AI.

I'm a bit disappointed that there is only 12 levels though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:

When they raise their arms to block, once it drops their is a gap to go into combos.

I've mainly been playing with Cherry, because she's a lot like Skate (my favourite from SOR2). It's pretty easy to combo the fat Karate dudes with her. You don't even have to wait for them to drop guard, but you can just keep spamming her running dash attack against them.

But when playing with Axel (who I've only played through the story mode once), I usually just grab them and either supplex or Judo throw them. But you have to do it quick before they break the hold. And that can sometimes be effective against the Muay Thai kickboxer allies if you can time the supplex/throw to slam into them.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Jag85

@i_p_daily said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Well they've overpowered the SoR1 characters to compensate for their lack of moves, SoR2 characters felt a little underpowered to me, and the only the only character I've played from SoR3 is Shiva and he is extremely quick and very powerful.

The retro pixel characters don't bother me as i'm more watching the AI.

I'm a bit disappointed that there is only 12 levels though.

The SOR3 characters can dash and roll, which the SOR4 characters lack (except for Cherry who can dash). Except for Shiva, who is the only SOR3 character who can't run or roll, but can only do a short dash. Seems like the SOR4 characters are modelled after the SOR2 characters, rather than the SOR3 characters.

The retro pixel characters look fine if you switch it to one of the Retro modes (pixel art or CRT). But not sure if that's been fixed yet for the Microsoft versions.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By uninspiredcup

Can't say fan of the retro-ctr filter, each to their own.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Jag85
@uninspiredcup said:

Can't say fan of the retro-ctr filter, each to their own.

It's the opposite for me. I don't like pixel art. I prefer a CRT look over pixel art.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 uninspiredcup

Filters in general not a fan of at least with this game, default game looks great as is.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup: Not when you play with the pixelated classic characters. It looks weird AF with the pixelated characters when the enemies and backgrounds are HD. The classic characters look way better with one of the retro options, where everything is consistent.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 uninspiredcup

@Jag85: The animations are still very rudimentary compared to the modern design.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

The filters do ease the extreme contrast for sure.

But would have been super cool if they actually reworked the stages and enemies in pixel art from scratch. Though that obviously would have been a huge undertaking that only a small percentage of players would appreciate.

As it is now, it's more like a bandaid on the issue. Not exactly a consistent look, but better than nothing.

EDIT: Oh in case it wasn't clearly, strictly talking about wishing the retro option was better. The modern graphics do look great.

Either way, just glad they did throw in retro characters. Visual disparities aside, definitely adds to the replay value.

I haven't unlocked all characters yet, should probably step down from Mania, would rack up points more quickly.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ConanTheStoner

Damn, so I still find sor4 Blaze some of the most fun to play, but.. sor4 Adam is a monster lol.

Already thought his combos and dash were dope, but just realized how sick his neutral jump kick is for crowd control. Plus that crazy corner carry into easy infinites. And unlike Blaze, less likely to catch an anti-air dealing with large crowds.

Also, could be wrong, but it seems like his blitz move moves his hurtbox forward more than others, so less likely to get clipped from behind after the fact.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 uninspiredcup

Interesting, destructible objects (e.g. prison gate) count as part of the combo meter.

Huh.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 uninspiredcup
Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup: Cool combo. I need to play as Blaze more (only played several levels with her) and try that shit out. The highest combo I got against that boss so far is about 45 hits with Cherry.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ConanTheStoner

@uninspiredcup said:

Interesting, destructible objects (e.g. prison gate) count as part of the combo meter.

Huh.

Yeah, hitting destructible objects as well as grabbing item pickups (food/money) keep it going. Of course items don't add hits, but just refresh the meter cooldown. Sometimes can keep a combo going to the next encounter like that.

Sometimes the game will just freeze the meter cooldown until the next encounter. Like after the first hallway in the prison level, gives you all the time you want to get to the big cell block. Wish they did that between each encounter, but guess it might screw the scoring system balance.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#132 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Looks like some dealings have been going on in the back:

And @i_p_daily: there is an Xbox version physical edition coming. I'm sorry for recommending to you get the digital version since I remember you were adamant about only buying physical releases.

Also Europeans can get this signed signature version, but they do ship to the US https://signatureeditiongames.com/search?q=streets+of+rage&type=product:

If I had gotten the standard version from LRG, I'd be mad, but at least you can get a refund. I'm probably going to quadruple dip and buy the physical Xbox version for the different box art and goofy key chain because I'm crazy like that.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They have nailed this game. As a veteran of the series I was able to play through this and got it right away because it is SOR. I knew when best to dodge and throw, when best to keep on my toes and jump kick, when best to spam special moves. It's important that this wasn't just an average beat em up with a streets of rage skin. If the mechanics had been the same as one of the 90s konami games I wouldn't have been to comfortable with the mechanics.

Minus points for the fact that Max is only the classic version and tough to unlock. I'm guessing he will be DLC with Shiva and that new cop chick.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 uninspiredcup

Came to peace with fact i'll never get and A or and S rank.

**** this game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: While I haven't got S rank yet, I've managed to get A rank a few times. I'm sure you'll get A rank eventually with some more practice.